2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 hours ago, Istian said:

Oh for fuck’s sake. I don’t know why I expected anything different from Herman. All of us are clearly the assholes for thinking CDC would be involved at a level where he’d stop this shit. 

This fits my hypothesis that 2020 is entirely about giving Herman enough rope to hang himself by.

CDC has given Herman the open checkbook; if Tom goes and pulls a Bobby Jack Wright, he's got his exit.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve got him squared up pretty well. He’s one of the resident imbeciles.

He’s of the religion that believes that the coach, whoever the coach, is always right. Should you deign to challenge otherwise or simply call things for what they are, you are an enemy of the program and you must “hate” the coach and the team.

Folks in this religion also tend to believe that football is really complicated and that in order to run a program the size of Texas, the coach usually possesses various super powers and probably has an Einstein-level brain that us commoners couldn’t possibly fathom. There’s a cabal of these guys on this thread. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone in this message board use the word “deign.” I has impressed.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

From spurstalk.

Per The Football Brainiacs, Tosh Lupoi interviewed with Texas earlier this week for the open LBs position

The Lupoi / Okam dream is still alive.

DC/S - Ash

CB - Jay Valai

LB - Lupoi

DT - Okam

DE - Giles

OC/QB - Yurcich

WR - Tyron Carrier

TE - Andre Coleman

RB - Frank Wilson

OL - Hand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've been waiting for this stupid take to show up. You just compared a CB coach to a guy who overhauled an entire offensive scheme, in one season, to fit the talent at hand and call plays with almost perfect execution to a guy who's coaching CBs. It's impossible for him to be Joe Brady because ti's impossible for a CB coach to have that kind of impact on a program, period. 

If it's impossible for a CB coach to have such an impact on a program, why is everyone freaking out so much without knowing what the rest of the staff looks like?  Can you name 5 current CFB CB coaches not named Akina without looking it up?  I know I can't.   

They're taking a flyer on a young guy that the DC has a hunch about.  If the rest of the defensive staff looks like that, we have a problem.  Otherwise, it's like a hardway bet in craps.  If it hits, we're golden.  If it doesn't, well hopefully we've properly hedged our bets elsewhere.  If we really can't afford to take a flyer on a friggin' CB coach, Herman's fucked no matter what happens.  

• Like 1

prefaced with I wanted Herman gone; so obviously very skeptical of his shit ass hiring decisions to date.....but any way that this was Ash's decision and not Herman?  (understood that Herman chose Ash and would still bear ultimate responsibility) Perhaps Ash knows that this scrub can do what he wants which allows Ash to focus more on safeties and the overall defensive scheme.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

prefaced with I wanted Herman gone; so obviously very skeptical of his shit ass hiring decisions to date.....but any way that this was Ash's decision and not Herman?  (understood that Herman chose Ash and would still bear ultimate responsibility) Perhaps Ash knows that this scrub can do what he wants which allows Ash to focus more on safeties and the overall defensive scheme.

Ash was his college position coach at Wisco and boss at Rutgers this is extremely an Ash decision. 

The question is whether Herman is ok with that.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ash was his college position coach at Wisco and boss at Rutgers this is extremely an Ash decision. 

I guess my thought is - if you're Herman, you cant say Ash, choose who you want and then say yea not that guy.  If we dont like the CB hire, we should be complaining that Herman hired Ash, not the CB coach.  Go rUTgers

Edited by Enchubben
somebody really should design a Rutgers logo with UT in orange
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Or maybe Herman’s aloof ass can’t be fucking bothered to worry about position coach hires. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case, considering his obvious hatred for calling plays as a head coach. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well Herman has the final say so apparently he did.  I guess technically CDC did but he's clearly going to give Herman the rope he needs even if that means allowing him to hire the most under qualified coach in modern Texas football history.  I mean seriously, beginning with Mack, is there any record of a position coach at Texas with a weaker resume?  I'm pretty confident that answer is "no".

11 minutes ago, Istian said:

Or maybe Herman’s aloof ass can’t be fucking bothered to worry about position coach hires. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case, considering his obvious hatred for calling plays as a head coach. 

Those two things have literally nothing to do with each other. 

15 minutes ago, Istian said:

At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case, considering his obvious hatred for calling plays as a head coach. 

Why do people say this as if it is a bad thing? I'd rather our coach make good coordinator hires so that he can focus on being HC, especially if he's more comfortable doing that.

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve got him squared up pretty well. He’s one of the resident imbeciles.

He’s of the religion that believes that the coach, whoever the coach, is always right. Should you deign to challenge otherwise or simply call things for what they are, you are an enemy of the program and you must “hate” the coach and the team.

Folks in this religion also tend to believe that football is really complicated and that in order to run a program the size of Texas, the coach usually possesses various super powers and probably has an Einstein-level brain that us commoners couldn’t possibly fathom. There’s a cabal of these guys on this thread. 

Lulz, I'm on record as wanting Herman gone. Just like Shaka, just like Pierce. But I'm also going to laugh at you motherfuckers that take this shit so personal, like Herman is fucking up your wet dreams on purpose and having you wake up with blue balls. 1 year isn't going to make two shits difference in the overhaul scheme of things, unless you just love the sound of the keyboard as you wax poetic about all the wrongs inside the Longhorn athletic department.

That probably has more to do with my apathy, because it's not likely that another P5 university will ever have 3 coaches so overwhelmed to this extent leading their Big 3 Men's.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

It’s not unusual for a new coor to have some of “ his guys” hired that know the system. With Ash coaching the safeties it would help him oversee the rest of his def implementation to have the CB hire who knows what he wants. Valai maybe is the only guy right now that fits the bill. (We will have to see if he is hired) But Ash really needs to hits HR’s with the rest of the def staff

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I guess my thought is - if you're Herman, you cant say Ash, choose who you want and then say yea not that guy.  If we dont like the CB hire, we should be complaining that Herman hired Ash, not the CB coach.  Go rUTgers

None of this shit matters.  Herman is in the gotta win phase.  I don’t care if he hires Bozo the Clown.  If they win they will be back if they don’t.....they’re GMF.    

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, I'm on record as wanting Herman gone. Just like Shaka, just like Pierce. But I'm also going to laugh at you motherfuckers that take this shit so personal, like Herman is fucking up your wet dreams on purpose and having you wake up with blue balls. 1 year isn't going to make two shits difference in the overhaul scheme of things, unless you just love the sound of the keyboard as you wax poetic about all the wrongs inside the Longhorn athletic department.

That probably has more to do with my apathy, because it's not likely that another P5 university will ever have 3 coaches so overwhelmed to this extent leading their Big 3 Men's.

Why do you want Pierce gone?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What an absurd commentary. The answer is try real hard to shoot either. Do you and your buddies crack open some beers, put your feet up on the porch, and wax philosophic and have vigorous debates about whether it's better to have your wife cuck you with a rich guy, or some fat POS from the neighborhood. The answer is it all sucks.   

LOL... I was agreeing with you. I dont think we should shoot either one. I just think its funny and "absurd" that Herman would ignore that justification to hire one but use it to not hire the other. 

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Those two things have literally nothing to do with each other. 

Or not giving enough of a shit to be bothered calling plays (until forced to make a choice of fire a coach mid season or call plays) and giving enough of a shit to be involved in hiring position coaches (outcome TBD) are similar behaviors of not giving a shit and easily compared, but I understand your position.  

• Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Why do people say this as if it is a bad thing? I'd rather our coach make good coordinator hires so that he can focus on being HC, especially if he's more comfortable doing that.

In this context, it’s further evidence that Herman continues to believe certain tasks that may be required of a head coach at a major program are beneath him. I don’t give a shit if he calls plays or not, but he hasn’t shown an ability to hire good coordinators at this point - Yurcich is still unproven at Texas. 

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Well last year he sucked donkey balls.  We'll see what this year brings, but he needs to be on a short leash

Yeah, I’m with you, but the dude had us in the CWS year before.  Let’s watch a little more and see where it goes.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I’m with you, but the dude had us in the CWS year before.  Let’s watch a little more and see where it goes.

Just like Shaka went to the Final 4. I've seen enough of Pierce to know he sucks. Texas should be moving away from the Patterson/Perrin hires as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are the Rutgers boards upset? Are there Rutgers boards?

Here is some info on Rutgers defensive backs (prior to Valai). Maybe we can get a corner from them to transfer here.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/3/12/18220717/2019-rutgers-football-position-review-defensive-backs-hayes-young-barrow-dixon-abraham-stevens-izien

So long as we get Partridge or Okam and Lupoi, I'm happy as hell. I think Valai is a risky hire since he's so young but if we can have a proven DE coach, a proven DT coach than can recruit well and help Giles, an LB coach that's a good coach and an elite recruiter, and a great safeties coach who also coordinates the defense I think Valai (who is supposed to be a great recruiter for sure) should have some safety bumpers to allow him to make his transition easier