2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Interesting wrinkle that Lupoi is interviewing as LB coach. He played and came up as an assistant at DL, which is also what he coaches in the NFL. He coached OLBs at Bama, but in their system those are close to DEs than what Texas will ask LBs to do. His recruiting ability is unquestioned, so there's that, but I'm skeptical he can actually teach the LB position, which Texas badly needs.

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, he could have fired him this year already because Herman doesn't have a booster faction in his corner.  There was no reason to give him enough rope to hang himself.  There is no one that still needs convincing.  Another failed season and I'm not sure how torn up about CDC getting the boot with Herman I'd be.

My biggest fear is that he rolls out 4-5 years in a row of 8-9 win seasons.  CDC will not pull the string to fire him and we are stuck with the egotistical dipshit.

1 minute ago, ruitxn said:

My biggest fear is that he rolls out 4-5 years in a row of 8-9 win seasons.  CDC will not pull the string to fire him and we are stuck with the egotistical dipshit.

Seriously it might last him one more year, but another after that and he's gone. We've had our lost decade and can use USC as our cautionary tale.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Suck it Rutgers. We're Texas.

I assume the random handful of Rutgers fans that exist have to be looking at what we’re doing and they’re completely bewildered. I mean, so are we, but they have to be clicking around with their jaws dropped and their finger touching their chin and thinking in their Jim Gaffigan voice: “I don’t think they meant to do that at all. Did they?”

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting wrinkle that Lupoi is interviewing as LB coach. He played and came up as an assistant at DL, which is also what he coaches in the NFL. He coached OLBs at Bama, but in their system those are close to DEs than what Texas will ask LBs to do. His recruiting ability is unquestioned, so there's that, but I'm skeptical he can actually teach the LB position, which Texas badly needs.

I think it is important to remember that Lupoi is actually one of those guys that can both coach really well and recruit really well. If Hermanitard lands him, he’ll be a fine coach wherever. The fact that he was well-grooved recruiting channels to open back up is a huge fucking thing too. That all considered, I figure he’s going to stay in the NFL because we couldn’t be that lucky. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume the random handful of Rutgers fans that exist have to be looking at what we’re doing and they’re completely bewildered. I mean, so are we, but they have to be clicking around with their jaws dropped and their finger touching their chin and thinking in their Jim Gaffigan voice: “I don’t think they meant to do that at all. Did they?”

The guy he replaced ended up in the NFL with the NY Giants.

So who knows 

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

if you’re a dirty coach but the head coach isn’t, how does that conversation go? 

“I need a couple Hundred grand this week for equipment for practice.”

”this better not be going to someone’s bagman”

”....it’s not”

Herman strikes me as a guy that will be happy to go as far afield as the boosters let him.

3 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

if you’re a dirty coach but the head coach isn’t, how does that conversation go? 

”....it’s not”

Is it your assumption that the money DOESN’T come from boosters but comes from the athletic department?

🙄

5 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

Anyone think the staff will be close to complete by the time that first big recruiting event comes around? Maybe Texas is waiting to announce multiple guys at the same time?

If the staff's not close to complete for Elite Day, when he's even had the AFCA thing on top of all the time they've already spent on this, then Herman's pretty much doing that bare ass on the window thing ctj talks about all the time.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

If the staff's not close to complete for Elite Day, when he's even had the AFCA thing on top of all the time they've already spent on this, then Herman's pretty much doing that bare ass on the window thing ctj talks about all the time.

Actually it's CTJ's mirror, IIRC. But it would make more sense if it was a window.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

”....it’s not”

Huh ... that's positively garrulous.  Thought the participants would be far more reticent.  No casual chit chat;  stick strictly to the business at hand.  For instance:

" 'sup?"

" 'sup!"

" 'sup."

" 'sup."

Something along those lines.

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sadly, I’ve followed Rutgers since Schiano’s first tenure. The boards didn’t have much of an opinion on Ash’s legitimacy as a DC; they’re just happy he’ll earn a high salary so his buyout is reduced. All I’ve seen on the Valai hire is “interesting that Ash would choose him”. Ash legitimately might have hired the worst offensive staffs in FBS history in Piscataway; he was just utterly clueless on that side of the ball.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Sadly, I’ve followed Rutgers since Schiano’s first tenure. The boards didn’t have much of an opinion on Ash’s legitimacy as a DC; they’re just happy he’ll earn a high salary so his buyout is reduced. All I’ve seen on the Valai hire is “interesting that Ash would choose him”. Ash legitimately might have hired the worst offensive staffs in FBS history in Piscataway; he was just utterly clueless on that side of the ball.

highly unlikely Ash will have any say on offensive hires considering his solely on the other side of the ball for us

3 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

highly unlikely Ash will have any say on offensive hires considering his solely on the other side of the ball for us

Right, I was just highlighting his ineptitude in hiring assistants on that side of the ball because it was incredibly difficult to watch happen again and again. I’m not overly worried that he’ll hire chumps on the defensive side, but it is definitely possible.

12 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

You poor thing. Although I was in NJ for the huge win against #3 Louisville that took them into the top 10, and the mass outbreak of "wait I think I like the state I'm from and college football as a sport and omg what is happening" was pretty awesome.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You poor thing. Although I was in NJ for the huge win against #3 Louisville that took them into the top 10, and the mass outbreak of "wait I think I like the state I'm from and college football as a sport and omg what is happening" was pretty awesome.

Yeah that was definitely the peak of Rutgers athletics. I know it’s dangerous to believe the new Schiano hype, but he’s actually putting together a quality staff. Winning in the B1G East will be tough, but I think Rutgers can pass Maryland, Indiana, and MSU within a few years (assuming Schiano gets a few 4 stars a year from the NE).

Edited by George Clooney

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Yeah that was definitely the peak of Rutgers athletics. I know it’s dangerous to believe the new Schiano hype, but he’s actually putting together a quality staff. Winning in the B1G East will be tough, but I think Rutgers can pass Maryland, Indiana, and MSU within a few years (assuming Schiano gets a few 4 stars a year from the NE).

The Jersey private/parochial schools actually have talent, but the tOSU/PSU/UMich pipelines are so established it'll be tough to break through.

Plus, compared to, say, Maryland, Rutgers is a weird state flagship in that the locals act like it's a worse school than it actually is. It's really not bad! Better than an LSU or Texas Tech or what have you.

Edited by texifornia

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The Jersey private/parochial schools actually have talent, but the tOSU/PSU/UMich pipelines are so established it'll be tough to break through.

Plus even compared to, say, Maryland, Rutgers is a weird state flagship in that the locals, if anything, act like it's a worse school than it actually is. It's really not bad! Better than an LSU or Texas Tech or what have you.

Schiano is probably the Bergen Mafia’s most trusted coach, fwiw. Partridge (and possibly Anthony Campanile) leaving UM will hurt them in NJ. I agree that PSU and tOSU will continue to be heavy threats in NJ, though Hafley leaving for BC helps.

The Rutgers self-deprication is definitely strange, and I can’t really explain it since I never attended there. It’s definitely unfortunate that there are several elite universities in the immediate region of which RU can’t even sniff.

Edited by George Clooney
  • Like 1

Firing Herman is merely our guess as to the best means to the end of improving Texas Football.

Your last best guess was firing Strong and hiring Herman. Since then we've gone to three bowls, won all three, and knocked off top-15 teams in the process. And nobody is happy because we had chances to be much better and weren't. Go back and think about that loss to Kansas and how bad it was. We improved in 2017, overperformed in 2018, and underperformed in 2019. There's no guarantee that the next coach is going to be any better. We could end up with another Strong.

I'm also disappointed in 2019's performance. I have no idea if Herman can fix it. For a "smart" guy he sometimes makes dumb choices. But changes needed to be made and they are being made. I don't know if it will be the right changes. I'll just hope things are better next year. If they aren't, then it'll be obvious the only constant in the equation is Herman.
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just a reminder that Wescott Ebert thinks Art Briles is a man of God and deserves another chance to coach college football. 

im shocked, shocked that the hire of a failed trainer from the state of Texas would be met with adulation from all the other trainers on the state. It’s almost like they all have an agenda or something. 

Watch he ends up being fucktards best hire at UT.   If so, I hope he's a witch who helps stock talent for the new guy in 2021.  

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve got him squared up pretty well. He’s one of the resident imbeciles.

He’s of the religion that believes that the coach, whoever the coach, is always right. Should you deign to challenge otherwise or simply call things for what they are, you are an enemy of the program and you must “hate” the coach and the team.

Folks in this religion also tend to believe that football is really complicated and that in order to run a program the size of Texas, the coach usually possesses various super powers and probably has an Einstein-level brain that us commoners couldn’t possibly fathom. There’s a cabal of these guys on this thread. 

I have been on a jihad against this religion most of my sports fan life. Fuck I can't stand them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bejezuz said:

If it's impossible for a CB coach to have such an impact on a program, why is everyone freaking out so much without knowing what the rest of the staff looks like?  Can you name 5 current CFB CB coaches not named Akina without looking it up?  I know I can't.   

They're taking a flyer on a young guy that the DC has a hunch about.  If the rest of the defensive staff looks like that, we have a problem.  Otherwise, it's like a hardway bet in craps.  If it hits, we're golden.  If it doesn't, well hopefully we've properly hedged our bets elsewhere.  If we really can't afford to take a flyer on a friggin' CB coach, Herman's fucked no matter what happens.  

It's probably not advisable to make hiring decisions based on hunches when you're down to your last strike like Herman is. 

Pardon me for not trusting the hunches of a guy in Ash who thought Mehringer was a good OC hire. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

Gee I wonder why on earth we would interview him! /sarcasm

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Again another bullshit post. What I want more than anything is for herman to figure it out now and win fucking games. Period. I’d be thrilled to be irritated  by his decisions and behavior for a decade while he reels off a string of playoff appearances and conference championships. 

hell, then his behavior would be a feature, not a bug

17 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I'm fucking old and up drinking coffee because I can't sleep past 5:30

sorry for the delay in posting; had to smoke a bowl to start off the day

That wasn’t directed at you my man. Although 7 am bowl is duly noted for future reference. Also, username checks out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Well, let’s see, two coaches hired per month and six, potentially seven spots to fill. So we’ll have the staff rounded out in mid May.

It doesn't take much more than logic to know that no announcements will be made this weekend but that some chatter might develop. Then early next week we will hear Valai, Lupoi, Okam, Carrier and then by mid-May you might hear about a TE coach - Probably somebody random like Larry Porter, McEndoo or Jonathan Wallace.

There is a non-zero chance that Valai will turn out not to suck. I am genuinely curious in how much the deviation from zero is, and what is going to happen if the rest of this season's hires turn out well enough to save Herman's job, but the Valai hire turns out as badly as most of us are expecting it to.

In other words, CB coaching takes a nosedive, but there is enough improvement everywhere else to get us limping across the finish line with 10 wins...

Does Valai get fired at that point? We all know Herman would undoubtedly not be the impetus behind such a move, but in that hypothetical, does CDC (or the boosters, or whoever) force Herman's hand? Or do we see more of the same, where an underperformer sticks around?

I'm also curious what will happen if Valai turns out to be great (apart from crow eating from all his doubters, most of whom would be happy to chew because all they want is for Texas to win)? Does he cover for deficiencies elsewhere in that scenario?

It isn't difficult to imagine a scenario in which this staff shakeup serves to prolong the inevitable re: Herman getting fired. That's... not ideal.

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There is a non-zero chance that Valai will turn out not to suck. I am genuinely curious in how much the deviation from zero is, and what is going to happen if the rest of this season's hires turn out well enough to save Herman's job, but the Valai hire turns out as badly as most of us are expecting it to.

In other words, CB coaching takes a nosedive, but there is enough improvement everywhere else to get us limping across the finish line with 10 wins...

Does Valai get fired at that point? We all know Herman would undoubtedly not be the impetus behind such a move, but in that hypothetical, does CDC (or the boosters, or whoever) force Herman's hand? Or do we see more of the same, where an underperformer sticks around?

I'm also curious what will happen if Valai turns out to be great (apart from crow eating from all his doubters, most of whom would be happy to chew because all they want is for Texas to win)? Does he cover for deficiencies elsewhere in that scenario?

It isn't difficult to imagine a scenario in which this staff shakeup serves to prolong the inevitable re: Herman getting fired. That's... not ideal.

First, I don’t think is possible for cb play to nosedive any further, from coaching to previous scheme I’m honestly not sure it could be at a lower starting point. So there’s that. 

My problem isn’t Valai as a person or coach, although I certainly have a metric fuckton of doubt on that front. The much larger issue is what his hire represents and what I think it means. To me it means Herman can’t or won’t identify candidates at the top of their profession for whatever reason (ego, insecurity, myopia, ineptitude, all of the above etc.) and go after them. That’s a big fucking problem. If no one worth their salt will work with him, that’s a big fucking problem. If he can’t sit above Ash, who we all know literally can’t assemble a staff to save or keep a job, and tell him to shoot higher, well that’s a big problem. 

Herman has basically created a scenario where he needs to catch young lightning in a bottle with Valai, and then hit that bottle out of the park without breaking it for this to be successful. Outside of the fact that I’m wildly skeptical this hire makes us a better staff and wins more games, it’s yet another indicator that Herman isn’t fit for this job, and we have another crapshoot of a hire in the near future. But I’m hoping the rope size thread gets threaded through the minuscule needle and he’s hired the next elite cb coach and recruiter. But I’m not holding my breath. I would forcibly hold CTJ’s breath, however. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, hornian said:

I just jump to the end of this thread every other day or so. Much more enjoyable that way. But I miss knowing exactly who has the hottest takes. 

It’s shocking to me when I attempt to click this thread that my mouse or finger doesn’t spontaneously combust. There are some scorching positions being etched into Internet stone here. 

47 minutes ago, Snacks said:
55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:
McNelly lets me use all his good material. 

I need to call him. I could use an education like that.

I ran into the old boy a few nights ago at Little Woodrow’s and we caught up for the first time in a year+. He attempted to convince me that Tom Herman is a sweet, sweet fella and needs more time, and then he declared fatwa against Shaka Smart. It was great bullshitting with him as always. 

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If you’re looking at percentages, I’d guess the highest probability sits around the premise that Valai and everyone with him on the defensive side of the ball have been fired by this time a year from now. His career indicates a bit of a Typhoid Mary/patient zero kind of touch with the defensive staffs he gets attached. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1