2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

I expect "Rutgers Suck" chants to be a mainstay feature at all of our road games this year. Depending on the timing it might actually be funny.

Hoo boy, I think you vastly overestimate the amount of knowledge the average college football fan possesses. 95% of those stadiums won’t be able to name a single one of our coaches past Herman.

But it would be a solid chant.
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There is a non-zero chance that Valai will turn out not to suck. I am genuinely curious in how much the deviation from zero is, and what is going to happen if the rest of this season's hires turn out well enough to save Herman's job, but the Valai hire turns out as badly as most of us are expecting it to.

In other words, CB coaching takes a nosedive, but there is enough improvement everywhere else to get us limping across the finish line with 10 wins...

Does Valai get fired at that point? We all know Herman would undoubtedly not be the impetus behind such a move, but in that hypothetical, does CDC (or the boosters, or whoever) force Herman's hand? Or do we see more of the same, where an underperformer sticks around?

I'm also curious what will happen if Valai turns out to be great (apart from crow eating from all his doubters, most of whom would be happy to chew because all they want is for Texas to win)? Does he cover for deficiencies elsewhere in that scenario?

It isn't difficult to imagine a scenario in which this staff shakeup serves to prolong the inevitable re: Herman getting fired. That's... not ideal.

I doubt CB gets any worse - Clay Jennings showed us it's possible, but that took real effort to destroy our players' self-confidence. It's just about doing pretty much the opposite of shooting for the stars.

Damn Saty has rubbed off on most folks in this thread.

1. Agree that new CB coach is probably not worse than what we witnessed in 2019.
  2. Herman/Ash must aim higher and close on the new LB and DL assistant coaches.
  3. If Carrier is new WR coach, then the offense just got a lot better.

If Drayton leaves for NFL, who are some new RB coaching candidates??

So far I've seen a couple mentioned on Surly: 

• Frank Wilson
  • Ra'Shaad Samples (unlikely)

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I think I would make an outstanding running back coach. There’s a shock collar around the nuts approach I’d like to test in the field. I’ll keep them reminded of the importance of ball control.

7 minutes ago, MoJames said:

My dad should be the RB coach

Based on everything I’m seeing, both of you guys are qualified as candidates and you should apply. I think Herman may actively be examining resumes coming in on the fax. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Based on everything I’m seeing, both of you guys are qualified as candidates and you should apply. I think Herman may actively be examining resumes coming in on the fax. 

Damn, all I thought Mensa used the fax for was sending out his autographed doublebird pictures...

EMFDPsOU4AETqFB?format=jpg&name=large

2 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I guess I’m the only guy who is optimistic about Valai. *shrugs* Young, hungry, experience in an NFL locker room, possible recruiting chops with Texas roots. Besides, if all else fails, throw a jersey on the guy because he would be the best looking linebacker we’ve got on day one.

You can fuck right off with your Rashad Bobino 5’9” linebackers, sir. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The stupid shit some of y’all dream up in your self-imposed depression over a sport is pathetic.

Why the fuck do you even post on this board? All you fucking do is tell everyone how they are stupid for caring about football, yet here you are commenting on the football board.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2

That's a ridiculous take.

I don't believe either of these guys have ever coached at Rutgers, or even Houston for that matter. Not qualified.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Was just my summary after reading through the posts. I’m sorry it hurt your feelings.

That’s not how you do it.  You actively monitor the board all day while offering over the top responses to takes that annoy you.  When you are too lazy to post something yourself, you find a post that says the same thing and “like” it.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

See if you can pull Mike Jinks from USC at RB coach.  He’s thought to be a good coach even though he pulled a Chris Ash at Bowling Green, good connections in Texas, and as an added bonus I’ve read that Bijan likes him. 

This!  Jinks is a really good coach.  He was the guy who started up Cibolo Steele.  He was a solid D2 QB at Angelo State.  He has ties all over the state of Texas and is well respected.  I would run to go get him.  He would be a homerun  hire for this offense.

i am amazed how many people are trashing the new guy before he’s even stepped foot on campus.  Our issue last year was pressure on the QB.  We got very little.  Why did the secondary look good against Utah?  It had more to do with the pass rush and the CB’s not having to cover for longer than 5 seconds. When the QB has all day, any secondary will struggle and we did.  I think we will see massive improvement when the pass rush is solid.

I remember in the 2011 NFL draft, every pundit had the Texans taking Prince Akumara because the Texans had a horrible secondary.  They chose JJ Watt because they knew the key to good secondary play was a pass rush.  I think they got it right because the next year before they were 6-10 and ranked #29 in team defense. The next year they went 10-6 and were ranked #4 in total defense. Their sacks improved and they gave up 1500 less yards. Most of that was in the secondary and the improved pass rush.

The teams that are playing for the Natty on Monday have solid lines with a solid pass rush.  That’s the key to our success next year.  It all starts in the trenches. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

This!  Jinks is a really good coach.  He was the guy who started up Cibolo Steele.  He was a solid D2 QB at Angelo State.  He has ties all over the state of Texas and is well respected.  I would run to go get him.  He would be a homerun  hire for this offense.

i am amazed how many people are trashing the new guy before he’s even stepped foot on campus.  Our issue last year was pressure on the QB.  We got very little.  Why did the secondary look good against Utah?  It had more to do with the pass rush and the CB’s not having to cover for longer than 5 seconds. When the QB has all day, any secondary will struggle and we did.  I think we will see massive improvement when the pass rush is solid.

I remember in the 2011 NFL draft, every pundit had the Texans taking Prince Akumara because the Texans had a horrible secondary.  They chose JJ Watt because they knew the key to good secondary play was a pass rush.  I think they got it right because the next year before they were 6-10 and ranked #29 in team defense. The next year they went 10-6 and were ranked #4 in total defense. Their sacks improved and they gave up 1500 less yards. Most of that was in the secondary and the improved pass rush.

The teams that are playing for the Natty on Monday have solid lines with a solid pass rush.  That’s the key to our success next year.  It all starts in the trenches. 

#negs4natty

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I remember in the 2011 NFL draft, every pundit had the Texans taking Prince Akumara because the Texans had a horrible secondary.  They chose JJ Watt because they knew the key to good secondary play was a pass rush.  I think they got it right because the next year before they were 6-10 and ranked #29 in team defense. 

Oh that take is spicy hot

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Jersey private/parochial schools actually have talent, but the tOSU/PSU/UMich pipelines are so established it'll be tough to break through.

Plus, compared to, say, Maryland, Rutgers is a weird state flagship in that the locals act like it's a worse school than it actually is. It's really not bad! Better than an LSU or Texas Tech or what have you.

Up in the NE it is all about Haaavaad and the Ivys. They dont ask you where you went to school there, they ask where you got your masters.

Just because pass rush is important doesn’t mean we don’t need a good coach at CB. Otherwise, fuck it, just move Carrington to the staff and leave the CBs without a coach, amirite? 

it’s not one or the fucking other, actually have the ability to hire multiple good coaches and recruiters at multiple coaching spots at once. 

40 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Why the fuck do you even post on this board? All you fucking do is tell everyone how they are stupid for caring about football, yet here you are commenting on the football board.

Yes. The first descriptive word that comes to mind when I read this thread is "caring." 

This thread is a mix of keen analysis, petty grudges, name-calling, and generally unfounded hate. Oh, and stupidity, of course. We all contribute to the latter.

It is frustrating wading through the dross to get to the good stuff. Discouraging the shit is actually more "caring about football" than dragging up somebody's errant opinion from five years ago and calling him/her a moron. Discouraging the wormhole discourse that is simply repetition of manic hatred and gloom is similarly "caring."

I wish the whole thread were insufferable so I wouldn't be tempted to open it, but there's enough good to draw me in. Thanks for that, anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The reason it is taking so long is that he is getting distracted because he thinks he keeps winning free cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There is a non-zero chance that Valai will turn out not to suck. I am genuinely curious in how much the deviation from zero is, and what is going to happen if the rest of this season's hires turn out well enough to save Herman's job, but the Valai hire turns out as badly as most of us are expecting it to.

In other words, CB coaching takes a nosedive, but there is enough improvement everywhere else to get us limping across the finish line with 10 wins...

Does Valai get fired at that point? We all know Herman would undoubtedly not be the impetus behind such a move, but in that hypothetical, does CDC (or the boosters, or whoever) force Herman's hand? Or do we see more of the same, where an underperformer sticks around?

I'm also curious what will happen if Valai turns out to be great (apart from crow eating from all his doubters, most of whom would be happy to chew because all they want is for Texas to win)? Does he cover for deficiencies elsewhere in that scenario?

It isn't difficult to imagine a scenario in which this staff shakeup serves to prolong the inevitable re: Herman getting fired. That's... not ideal.

People really need to let go of this fantasy that CDC is going to micromanage Herman's responsibilities. It's Herman's show. CDC will simply pull the plug on the show if it continues to get bad ratings. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

People really need to let go of this fantasy that CDC is going to micromanage Herman's responsibilities. It's Herman's show. CDC will simply pull the plug on the show if it continues to get bad ratings. 

Has any Texas AD ever had control over firing the head coach?  If the plug is pulled I don't think it'll be CDC making that decision.

35 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

You are surprised that people think hiring a proven loser with one year of on-field experience is a bad hire worthy of criticism? Are just a complete fucking idiot with zero capability for deductive reasoning? Or is your blindness for “the coach is always right” so overpowering that you can’t see anything clearly? It’s laughable idiocy either way to defend the hire. Maybe it works out, but there’s no logical defense for it. You and the other dipshits attempting to do so are just making fools of yourselves. There’s no mystic secret behind the hire. It was meatheaded comfort hire made by proven losers who cannot make even mediocre personnel decisions. 

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes. The first descriptive word that comes to mind when I read this thread is "caring." 

This thread is a mix of keen analysis, petty grudges, name-calling, and generally unfounded hate. Oh, and stupidity, of course. We all contribute to the latter.

It is frustrating wading through the dross to get to the good stuff. Discouraging the shit is actually more "caring about football" than dragging up somebody's errant opinion from five years ago and calling him/her a moron. Discouraging the wormhole discourse that is simply repetition of manic hatred and gloom is similarly "caring."

I wish the whole thread were insufferable so I wouldn't be tempted to open it, but there's enough good to draw me in. Thanks for that, anyway.

Fuck off with the whining. You’re here because you can’t help yourself and you enjoy it. Just be honest about it. 

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Get over yourself, nothing is more obnoxious then the posters who spend time on this board while at the exact same time act as if they are above the fray. If all you want is information then go follow the Texas football twitter and await the official announcement. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

You need some midol.  You are constantly pissed about everything. Opinionated and think you are the only one that matters.  I don’t think I have ever seen you coaching a game. I don’t think I have ever seen you giving a post game press conference where people actually want to hear what you say.  You are an interest chat board narcissist who thinks your opinion is all that matters.  I don’t care. I don’t give a flying fuck what you think. You always bitch and complain about everything and think everyone is stupid. Maybe try looking in the Mirror and getting rid of that block on your shoulder. It must be a sad existence to be in the vicinity of you.

Since you are the all-fucking knowing.....who should we have hired 3 years ago as Head Coach?  Who should we have hired at DC and OC?  I would love to see your “Idea” of what you think would work because I seriously don’t think you know.  You would win the lottery and then bitch about having to pay the taxes. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f293d79a02876fd13a33b

/CTJ prepping to respond to this callout

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To anyone that feels the need to defend or spin the Valai hire, how many other candidates do you think we interviewed first? I’m guessing it was zero. Nothing on his resume suggests he’s worthy of being handed the job without taking a few swings at coaches with real skins on the wall. He was going to say yes, even if 7 other candidates passed first, but Herman and Ash couldn’t be bothered to make the effort.

Herman runs his entire organization the way small minded businesses were managed in the 1950’s. Well run organizations set a hiring bar (e.g., candidate has to be better than 50% of the people in this job, etc.) and consistently hold out until they find candidates that exceed it. Tom seems fine gambling on the buddy system, which is going to fail at an exponentially higher rate.

Is it possible that Valai is a rising star? Sure, but the odds are against him. Call it a 10% chance that he ends up being elite. Why not hold out for a coach that is a) already elite, or b) has enough experience to suggest that the odds of becoming elite are higher?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f293d79a02876fd13a33b

/CTJ prepping to respond to this callout

Let me guess..CTJ will call him a cunt, pull out his thesaurus and pick out a few new words, drop in some old B or C caliber players name, then act like he’s above the fray despite the fact that he can’t stop himself from responding to negative criticism to degree that make Mack Brown blush. Then he’ll end it with something that he probably chuckled to himself as he typed it. 

The bit is as old as Longhorn internet board fandom. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

You need some midol.  You are constantly pissed about everything. Opinionated and think you are the only one that matters.  I don’t think I have ever seen you coaching a game. I don’t think I have ever seen you giving a post game press conference where people actually want to hear what you say.  You are an interest chat board narcissist who thinks your opinion is all that matters.  I don’t care. I don’t give a flying fuck what you think. You always bitch and complain about everything and think everyone is stupid. Maybe try looking in the Mirror and getting rid of that block on your shoulder. It must be a sad existence to be in the vicinity of you.

Since you are the all-fucking knowing.....who should we have hired 3 years ago as Head Coach?  Who should we have hired at DC and OC?  I would love to see your “Idea” of what you think would work because I seriously don’t think you know.  You would win the lottery and then bitch about having to pay the taxes. 

oh hey, there it is, as predicted: the "you're not a coach" spiel...

Look, see, I can give you hard time about this. If anything I've got more right to do so than CTJ, because unlike him, I've actually spent years embracing this philosophy. What I'm trying to say here is: I was like you, once. I once thought as you did. 

But then, I actually read some coaching guides, started watching film... just to be a more informed fan, mind you. Then a neighbor shared with me his playbook from when he played under Sonny Lubick. And do you know what I realized?

Most coaches really aren't that smart, this sport really isn't that hard to understand, and you don't have to have ever played or coached to understand it. Hell, Leach revolutionized the sport; he never played.

In short, reject these idiotic ways as I have, and embrace the true power of the Dark Side.

• Like 6

oh hey, there it is, as predicted: the "you're not a coach" spiel...

Look, see, I can give you hard time about this. If anything I've got more right to do so than CTJ, because unlike him, I've actually spent years embracing this philosophy. What I'm trying to say here is: I was like you, once. I once thought as you did. 
But then, I actually read some coaching guides, started watching film... just to be a more informed fan, mind you. Then a neighbor shared with me his playbook from when he played under Sonny Lubick. And do you know what I realized?
Most coaches really aren't that smart, this sport really isn't that hard to understand, and you don't have to have ever played or coached to understand it. Hell, Leach revolutionized the sport; he never played.
In short, reject these idiotic ways as I have, and embrace the true power of the Dark Side.

Football is easy

And I am shaking in my boots.  I don’t give a fuck what he says or thinks. So if this gets you all excited, good for you.  I hope it keeps you entertained 

Hahahahahaha

Holy shit. Your buttons are so big that it’s almost immoral for me to keep pushing them. 

Yes, you do care what I think. If you didn’t, you’d have me on ignore and wouldn’t respond to my bullshit. Here’s a secret: we all care what each other thinks on here. If we didn’t, as @Not a Sock referenced earlier, we’d just follow the official stuff from the school and do other shit until the games are played again. It’s not a virtue to claim that you don’t care what others think. It’s actually a simple lie. 

To your other points, you’d enjoy being in my vicinity, people actually like me, and I do bitch about the IRS checks I have to cut. You would also. Oh, and I’m not a coach because I’ve got other shit to do, but coaching isn’t some ethereal act of wizardry that only the finest minds can attempt. 

It’s not some secret about who I wanted three years ago. I didn’t want Herman. I’d been around him. He’s a meatheaded narcissist that enjoys hearing himself pontificate about coaching platitudes. I wanted Justin Fuente, and he, like the rest of the coaching world, wasn’t in consideration because they only considered one candidate. Anyway, looking at things these days, it doesn’t look like Fuente would have been demonstrably better or worse than our current fuckface. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Let me guess..CTJ will call him a cunt, pull out his thesaurus and pick out a few new words, drop in some old B or C caliber players name, then act like he’s above the fray despite the fact that he can’t stop himself from responding to negative criticism to degree that make Mack Brown blush. Then he’ll end it with something that he probably chuckled to himself as he typed it. 

I don’t know why it has taken me this long, but you’re going on ignore. Drone on about me being a meanie with impunity. It’s boring and basically all you do. 

39 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know why it has taken me this long, but you’re going on ignore. Drone on about me being a meanie with impunity. It’s boring and basically all you do. 

Thank god. See...that wasn’t so hard now, was it?

And to be clear, I don’t give a fuck if you’re mean. My point is usually that you’re an unoriginal cunt.

Edited by Orange&White