WR - Coleman *

TE -  ??

OL - Hand 

DC/S -  Ash

DL - Okam/Partridge* and Giles

LB -  Smith/Huxtable*

CB - Valai

* based on latest rumors 

Well based on how WR and CB went, I assume those two fun, properly experienced DL coach hires are going to turn us down.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Well... I can say I like our coaching list now way better than I did this time last year. 

All in all I like the OC/DC hires and if the other guys can at least recruit and somewhat coach (or at least not negatively coach them) I'm ok with things.

** ducks **

I think most will agree with you, but the heat coming your way would be because you’re “settling” for “comfort hires” instead of reeling in nothing but elite position coaches. Sadly upgrade from old staff wouldn’t been too hard.

28 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Well... I can say I like our coaching list now way better than I did this time last year. 

All in all I like the OC/DC hires and if the other guys can at least recruit and somewhat coach (or at least not negatively coach them) I'm ok with things.

** ducks **

Yeah fuck shooting for elite coaching, as long as they are a marginal improvement over the wet shit of a coaching staff they are replacing what more could a program like Texas ask for?

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think Coleman is a bad pick at all.

I’m amazed how some of you are able to keep up the blind rage day after day. I don’t necessarily like the way all of this has gone down, but I can still see straight. I’m pretty sure we’re a long way from Charlie Strong kicking us in the balls day after day for three years, even if we aren’t where we all want the program to be. 

The board already decided after the Valai hire that this is their default mode.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

In certain contexts, one could make the case that this process and resultant staff are nothing to freak out over.  One such context might be if this were Herman's first staff and one has to give a new guy some freedom to bring in who he wants and feels comfortable with.  I think that's a poor argument, and I've heard it many times, it's generally bullshit, but I can sorta see it.  Another might be if we are resource constrained.  We are not, so that doesn't fly. 

Finally, if our HC had a proven track record of finding diamonds in the rough or assembling top staffs that did not appear to be top staffs at first blush, then we should be cutting him some slack.  But Herman has not earned the benefit of the doubt.  To the contrary, he has generally shown himself to be terrible in evaluating subordinate coaches and in managing their performance.  This is his last chance - the hail mary.  That's the context we are operating in now.  So all this bullshit about "I don't think these hires are really that bad" have to be evaluated in that context.  And in that context, that's an astoundingly retarded take.  This should be an all-out, almost desperate, leaving-no-stone-unturned talent search.  It's Tom's last stand - he better win and win now or he's out as early as next year. And what do we get?  Complacency and cronyism, which have sadly become hallmarks on the Herman era.  

Oh well, as some one said upthread, the good news is it seems Herman is doing almost everything in his power to fuck up his last chance quickly so we can move on to the new guy.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So at this point we’re looking at.

HC - Tommy

OC/QB - Yurchic

RB - Drayton (for now)

WR - Coleman *

TE -  ??

OL - Hand 

DC/S -  Ash

DL - Okam/Partridge* and Giles

LB -  Smith/Huxtable*

CB - Valai

* based on latest rumors 

TE - Rutgers fired coach from 2019

Coleman- not retained by KSU
Ash- fired by Rutgers
Valai- not retained by Rutgers
Yurcich- maybe a real pull but not per Bucknuts
Huxtable(if true)- fired from NCSU
looks like if you want to know who’s next, limit your speculation to guys fired or not retained.   So we get Okam if the new Baylor guy doesn’t want him.  What TE coach has recently been fired?

This is a little disingenuous in that Coleman wasn't retained as OC, he'd be taking a lower position here. Same for the NC State guy. Okam doesn't even have a HC right now. Idgaf what some Ohio State board says, the QB coach who coached Justin Fields to the year he just had didn't do a bad job.

This process sucks but the hysteria on here over some of these moves is a little much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That guy they had reporting to me? SydneyCarton, for fucks sake. There’s no way they interviewed him. I think he was delivering something to the front desk, asked what was going on there, said he’d be interested in getting a job there and the receptionist hired him on the spot and sent him in to report in a VP’s office. 

Herman’s conducting a less sophisticated process than that. 

Love always finds a way.

51 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

** ducks **

I don't disagree with this.  Maybe they aren't "wow" hires, but it's not like the bar to improve upon the previous staff is all that high either.  They can easily be meh hires and end up as an improvement.  

It's also fair to say that there are guys who we would have turned our noses up at in the past who torched our asses with much lesser talent - like anyone coaching under Snyder.

If in the end they all suck and we step backwards, Herman is not gonna be here long and we get to try again.  Unfortunately he was not in a position to lure in a murderers row of assistants.  Still pretty unimpressive though.  

34 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Complacency and cronyism, which have sadly become hallmarks on the Herman era.  

I think he’s getting a lot of doors slammed in his face and is panicking because he needs a staff in place so he’s hiring guys that will say yes.

we were never not fucked on this circus. Hopefully it’ll be over soon and we can watch a couple of interviews with the new coaches and spend the offseason convincing ourselves we have everything in place to win the conference and make a playoff run.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
Words

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Herman hiring coaches like he's sorting thru 3s and 4s at the bar at 159AM

This is basically what happened. He spent the prime hours talking to his buds while working up the liquor courage. Took some stabs at some 8s and 9s, they laughed, and it’s closing time.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think he’s getting a lot of doors slammed in his face and is panicking because he needs a staff in place so he’s hiring guys that will say yes.

we were never fucked on this circus. Hopefully it’ll be over soon and we can watch a couple of interviews with the new coaches and spend the offseason convincing ourselves we have everything in place to win the conference and make a playoff run.

I think its pretty clear Jones turned us down and used the interest to get a raise and new title. The buyout excuse was likely just spin. I wouldn't be surprised if Carrier declined our interest as well.

That being said, Coleman has a reputation as being a really good WR coach. The biggest question is how good of a recruiter he actually is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just on the merits he's a really good candidate (6 years as a position coach for Snyder - he clearly knows how to coach) - he's got experience as a player in college and the NFL, position coach experience, and has produced good WR's at Kansas St.  But the fact that the previous WR coaches were fired a month ago - and we're just now going to hire the guy already on staff?  Ugh.

so Herman should have just hired him and not talked to anyone else?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Counterpoint: The guy will defer to an unimpressive candidate he worked with for exactly 1 season almost a decade ago over doing to legitimate search for candidates that are actually, you know, good. 

You’re under the impression Herman has pull.....you should look in the mirror. You’re getting dumber

Under the category of duh, this process can’t really be like the corporate hiring process in the sense that basically any risk of the hire not working out is unacceptable.  In the corporate world you can and do accept more risk because you can hide problem employees or process them out various ways or just outright fire them and replace them at any time.  Basically you can hire someone without being 100% sure they can do a good job and not be a cancer.   If a coach creates issues during the season or can’t coach like you want, there’s really no non-disruptive recourse, and the impact on the operation is potentially fatal.  So for good reason there’s a very strong bias for getting people you absolutely know can coach and get along with you and your other coaches.  All that said, I agree that it seems he’s having trouble getting yeses out of some of his more preferred guys.  

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Under the category of duh, this process can’t really be like the corporate hiring process in the sense that basically any risk of the hire not working out is unacceptable.  In the corporate world you can and do accept more risk because you can hide problem employees or process them out various ways or just outright fire them and replace them at any time.  Basically you can hire someone without being 100% sure they can do a good job and not be a cancer.   If a coach creates issues during the season or can’t coach like you want, there’s really no non-disruptive recourse, and the impact on the operation is potentially fatal.  So for good reason there’s a very strong bias for getting people you absolutely know can coach and get along with you and your other coaches.  All that said, I agree that it seems he’s having trouble getting yeses out of some of his more preferred guys.  

That’s all very fair and reasonable. How did it work out with the last staff of guys he brought in, specifically in regards to Knowing their ability to coach? How about getting along with the players? 

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

But since hiring Yrrrrrcich took so long, Mensa had to wait on the WR assistant coach hire until early Jan 2020...

Herman should have been looking to hire a new OC immediately after replacing Beck. His arrogance and reticence to make changes has set off a cascade of suboptimal outcomes.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is why half measures don’t work. Either Texas is radioactive because we are about to fire herman in a year or two, or we left the lead inmate in charge of the asylum and expected different results than 3 years ago. 

we plain suck at the administration of the athletic department.  Every aspect of it. 

So, this has been covered already, and I see it's not one of the options you're considering: We're giving Tom rope to hang himself. He either does the job he 's being paid millions to do, or he exposes himself as being in over his head. The point here is that a good AD shows that he's going to give his coaches the tools they need to succeed, so that when we hire Tom's replacement, the best people want the job -- so that they can work with CDC.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m amazed how some of you are able to keep up the blind rage day after day.

This is the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s all very fair and reasonable. How did it work out with the last staff of guys he brought in, specifically in regards to Knowing their ability to coach? How about getting along with the players? 

Alignment!

It's not just part of your D&D character sheet.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

In the corporate world you can and do accept more risk because you can hide problem employees or process them out various ways or just outright fire them and replace them at any time.

While technically true, nothing could be further from the truth in the corporate world. It takes an act of Congress to fire someone even if they deserve it. 

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

so he's trying to actually get it right this time?

6 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Get over yourself, nothing is more obnoxious then the posters who spend time on this board while at the exact same time act as if they are above the fray. If all you want is information then go follow the Texas football twitter and await the official announcement. 

I see your understanding of the word obnoxious is on par with your understanding of caring.

Let's see how you do with irony.

Compliments.

49 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Herman should have been looking to hire a new OC immediately after replacing Beck. His arrogance and reticence to make changes has set off a cascade of suboptimal outcomes.

Same with Meh. They both should have been gone after their first season along with Warehime. This season, he could have replaced Orlando and this whole circus that we are seeing would have never happened.

I’m not sure why everyone is surprised, Herman was forced to make changes and he didn’t think any needed to be made. I got negged to oblivion after he “demoted” his butt buddy instead of firing him and I even said he would end up making comfort hires. The only hire I’m remotely excited about is Yurrich and then I remember he has Herman telling him all season how dumb he is and how smart he is and i get pissed.

so other than yurrich Herman has done fucking jack shit with this roster. The only way CDC will redeem himself is if he hits a grand slam with the next few major sports hires. 

• Like 1