2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

This is starting to look like shopping for the new family dog after the old one died. Shopping rescues hoping you get something close to what you are looking for, paying less. Sometimes you find a cute one that only has 3 legs and a name so you can't rename it tripod which defeats the purpose of having a 3 legged dog. Rich people go out and find a breeder with great championship bloodlines of the exact breed they want. They overpay but usually get a damn good dog. Why can't we go get a damn good dog.

Great avatar, but I gotta call you out on the rescue dog analogy.  Rescues are awesome! Woof. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So at this point we’re looking at.

HC - Tommy

OC/QB - Yurchic

RB - Drayton (for now)

WR - Coleman *

TE -  ??

OL - Hand 

DC/S -  Ash

DL - Okam/Partridge* and Giles

LB -  Smith/Huxtable*

CB - Valai

* based on latest rumors 

Show me a loss

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think Coleman is a bad pick at all.

I’m amazed how some of you are able to keep up the blind rage day after day. I don’t necessarily like the way all of this has gone down, but I can still see straight. I’m pretty sure we’re a long way from Charlie Strong kicking us in the balls day after day for three years, even if we aren’t where we all want the program to be. 

No issue at all with Coleman as we coach. Herman must’ve done blow off the ass off all of these guys ass

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not sure why everyone is surprised, Herman was forced to make changes and he didn’t think any needed to be made. I got negged to oblivion after he “demoted” his butt buddy instead of firing him and I even said he would end up making comfort hires. The only hire I’m remotely excited about is Yurrich and then I remember he has Herman telling him all season how dumb he is and how smart he is and i get pissed.

so other than yurrich Herman has done fucking jack shit with this roster. The only way CDC will redeem himself is if he hits a grand slam with the next few major sports hires. 

Starting with the Shaka Smart replacement 

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not sure why everyone is surprised, Herman was forced to make changes and he didn’t think any needed to be made. I got negged to oblivion after he “demoted” his butt buddy instead of firing him and I even said he would end up making comfort hires. The only hire I’m remotely excited about is Yurrich and then I remember he has Herman telling him all season how dumb he is and how smart he is and i get pissed.

so other than yurrich Herman has done fucking jack shit with this roster. The only way CDC will redeem himself is if he hits a grand slam with the next few major sports hires. 

But Herman pretty much did fire Beck. You realize we needed some warm bodies to coach the bowl, right?  

the outcome is the same. Beck is gone 

3 hours ago, Yesh said:

I predict these hires are just good enough to get us to 10-2 and Big12 championship in 2020, but not good enough to prevent us from going 8-4 in 2021.

I’m almost exactly here. I’m actually assuming 2021 is 6-6 in the regular season, at best. Lose to Arkansas on the road, lose 5 Big 12 games, Herman is then able to keep his job because he was 11-3 in 2020 and then we watch Alabama play “name the score” on our ass at home in 2022 and everyone and their mother knows  that the end is near. Or, put another way, The Hermancipation is Nigh, perhaps?

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

i'm trying real hard to maintain patience,  let the process finish... but jesus christ its getting harder and harder 

I feel almost certain that this is the first post I’ve ever upvoted for you. But yeah. This is brutal to witness. 

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Under the category of duh, this process can’t really be like the corporate hiring process in the sense that basically any risk of the hire not working out is unacceptable.  In the corporate world you can and do accept more risk because you can hide problem employees or process them out various ways or just outright fire them and replace them at any time.  Basically you can hire someone without being 100% sure they can do a good job and not be a cancer.   If a coach creates issues during the season or can’t coach like you want, there’s really no non-disruptive recourse, and the impact on the operation is potentially fatal.  So for good reason there’s a very strong bias for getting people you absolutely know can coach and get along with you and your other coaches.  All that said, I agree that it seems he’s having trouble getting yeses out of some of his more preferred guys.  

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

While technically true, nothing could be further from the truth in the corporate world. It takes an act of Congress to fire someone even if they deserve it. 

The closest actual analog to this process is hiring at the early stage for key roles at a start-up. Fuck up any of them and they can be fatal. For sure fucking up more than one can kill you quickly. Way different than corporate. You don’t hire people that give you any doubt, but they don’t have to be your fucking buddies and they are almost always happily employed elsewhere and very successful when you pull them across. 

1 hour ago, Mensa's Subconscious said:

spacer.png

This post and this username in the context of this thread. Holy fucking shit. Outstanding.

Edited by closetojumping

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is fucking absurd. 

I was a peon at a tech start-up in my early/mid-20’s. We were blowing up and growing so fast that it was hard to keep up. I show up one day and one of the higher ranking guys tells me “hey, uh, yeah, that guy over at that desk? yeah, we just hired him. he works for you now. “ and that’s how I became a manager. No training. No say in who reported to me. Just “here you go”.

That guy they had reporting to me? SydneyCarton, for fucks sake. There’s no way they interviewed him. I think he was delivering something to the front desk, asked what was going on there, said he’d be interested in getting a job there and the receptionist hired him on the spot and sent him in to report in a VP’s office. 

Herman’s conducting a less sophisticated process than that. 

Catamite OTJ training.

47 minutes ago, TheGhost said:

Everyone wants to fire coaches but they freak out when people pass up the job. 

Would you take a job that everyone is getting fired from if it pays you a quarter of a million dollars when your earning potential in any sane environment is $85k/yr?

FIFY -- and yes, everyone would say yes.

Herman didn't lose QJ because he didn't hire Coleman right away.  He didn't have an OC in place yet... so be it.  Herman lost QJ when he refused to fire Meh when he was giving the WR room face AIDS and destroying team chemistry in year 1.  His refusal to take action caused the consequences of today.  He lost QJ years ago... he just didn't know it at the time.  Keeping his merry band of misfit toys together (Meh, Warhime, Orlando etc..), despite their coaching performances created a hole he may never crawl out of.  

The Yursich honeymoon was sure as fuck over fast.  Thanks Tom!  

Edited by RabidM
  • Like 1

I think he’s getting a lot of doors slammed in his face and is panicking because he needs a staff in place so he’s hiring guys that will say yes.
we were never not fucked on this circus. Hopefully it’ll be over soon and we can watch a couple of interviews with the new coaches and spend the offseason convincing ourselves we have everything in place to win the conference and make a playoff run.

I’m starting to hope this is a bigger part of the issue. But he’s probably just a dipshit.

6 hours ago, RabidM said:

Herman didn't lose QJ because he didn't hire Coleman right away.  He didn't have an OC in place yet... so be it.  Herman lost QJ when he refused to fire Meh when he was giving the WR room face AIDS and destroying team chemistry in year 1.  His refusal to take action caused the consequences of today.  He lost QJ years ago... he just didn't know it at the time.  Keeping his merry band of misfit toys together (Meh, Warhime, Orlando etc..), despite their coaching performances created a hole he may never crawl out of.  

The Yursich honeymoon was sure as fuck over fast.  Thanks Tom!  

If you want to spin it that way fine. But then firing Mehringer mid season and promoting Coleman would have given us a chance to build a new relationship with QJ and keep him. It’s a colossal and completely unnecessary buttfucking no matter the prism through which you choose to view it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

Looking at all of these coaching changes:

Ash Positives - Herman was very complimentary about his ability to scheme against Herman in the past.  Maybe this guy really is better/smarter than Orlando, and he probably isn't a worse recruiter because Orlando had limited success in recruiting. Also, a bunch of message board idiots were smarter than Orlando, seeing that the 3 man pinch front was stupid and not working while he was oblivious the whole year. Orlando's college pictures make you think he was/is a blockhead. Finally, Ash was in Tom's ear for half the season. Surely he could figure out during that time whether Ash was better than Orlando, couldn't he?

Ash Negatives - When someone fails as miserably at a job like Ash did at Rutgers, that is typically a predictor for the future. While some coaches are good coordinators and bad head coaches, most of the time good coaching is good coaching, or not. I'm also not very enthusiastic about Ash comments on his 4 man front.  Defensive schemes today need to mix up 3 and 4 man fronts, not be tied to one or the other. There's been evidence his schemes have been pretty simplistic, and despite all of the negativity around Orlando, he was known as a tremendous innovator in his schemes, although he did outright steal Iowa St's scheme. Also, I would have thought Herman would find someone better outside his coaching circle. Finally, so far Ash hasn't demonstrated he can attract elite talent to work for him. Can't close on elite DL, CB or LB coaches. That's a huge red flag.

Conclusion - slightly better than Orlando in both coaching and recruiting, but not by a lot, for an overall slight improvement IF he hires decent defensive coaches

Yurcich Positives - OSU offenses during his time were always difficult to defend. He has a reputation for being very talented. His move to Ohio State was likely a promotion, even though it was a lower level job, implying they thought highly of him. He seems to do a great job with QB's. His schemes are compatible with Herman's beliefs. He's clearly a better play caller and game plan developer than Beck.

Yurcich Negatives - Reputation as being difficult to work with. OSU fans complained about his decision-making at times. Recruiting ability seems ok, but not elite. He could have been pushed out by Mullet. He doesn't bring air raid knowledge. He's a way worse recruiter than Beck. Beck is elite.

Conclusion - slight better than Beck/Herman in coaching but worse in recruiting for an overall slight improvement

Andre Coleman Positives - Deep experience coaching WR's. Kansas St experience under Snyder is fantastic. Played in the NFL. Held a coordinator job. Seemed to make an impact on WR's in the bowl game. Seems to be liked by the players

Andre Coleman Negatives - Wasn't picked up for another OC role. Unclear whether he's a great recruiter.

Conclusion - has to be better than Nehringer and Meekins in coaching because of all of the negative issues surrounding the WR's, and probably a better recruiter, for an overall improvement.

Valai Positives - Known by Ash, which hopefully indicates he believes highly of him, rather than an indication that Ash can't get anyone else decent. Is loved by the trainer community. Ex-players think highly of him. Has had exposure to college and NFL coaching. Supposedly a decent recruiter.

Valai Negatives - Bad coaching track record, short and unsuccessful. Rutgers linkage implies Herman and Ash can't find people outside their tiny circle to work for them. Washington had a reputation for not teaching his players enough, either because of his deficiencies or not being given enough time to coach during practice by Orlando. Valai is apparently a better teacher. His recruiting prowess is unclear.

Conclusion - He is probably a step down in recruiting, but probably a step up in coaching for an overall slight improvement.

Overall, so far the moves by Herman have been a little bit discouraging. All of this change has occurred, but the improvement only seems to be slightly better than the staff that was let go. More importantly, Herman has not shown an ability to attract talent outside of his circle, which is a major red flag. Maybe it's because people know he's on the hot seat this year. If I were a top coach, I'd wait to see how 2020 played out before thinking about joining the Texas staff. So maybe that's part of the problem, along with Herman's grating personality. 

Based upon all of the above, and what I expect will be average hirings for the remaining positions, Texas will go 9-3 next year, slightly better than what the 2019 coaching staff could produce.  That's better, but still not to where Texas needs to be, so what would Herman do next to get from a 9-3 type team to a 12-1 or better team?

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I think most will agree with you, but the heat coming your way would be because you’re “settling” for “comfort hires” instead of reeling in nothing but elite position coaches. Sadly upgrade from old staff wouldn’t been too hard.

This is correct. 

One thing I think some miss on here is the cream of the crop of potential assistants or statement hires if you will are not going to make a move based on the fact Herman is on the hot seat as of right now.  Mensa has the next 8 months to shore up recruiting, show some new stuff in spring ball, etc and then of course show the results once August comes along.  I don't think some of these names we've seen tossed around on here who we wished would have joined the staff want to come into a situation where they are one and done if end up looking at four of five loss season again and have that on their resume along with all the logistics of having to relocate.  

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Looking at all of these coaching changes:

Ash Positives - Herman was very complimentary about his ability to scheme against Herman in the past.  Maybe this guy really is better/smarter than Orlando, and he probably isn't a worse recruiter because Orlando had limited success in recruiting. Also, a bunch of message board idiots were smarter than Orlando, seeing that the 3 man pinch front was stupid and not working while he was oblivious the whole year. Orlando's college pictures make you think he was/is a blockhead. Finally, Ash was in Tom's ear for half the season. Surely he could figure out during that time whether Ash was better than Orlando, couldn't he?

Ash Negatives - When someone fails as miserably at a job like Ash did at Rutgers, that is typically a predictor for the future. While some coaches are good coordinators and bad head coaches, most of the time good coaching is good coaching, or not. I'm also not very enthusiastic about Ash comments on his 4 man front.  Defensive schemes today need to mix up 3 and 4 man fronts, not be tied to one or the other. There's been evidence his schemes have been pretty simplistic, and despite all of the negativity around Orlando, he was known as a tremendous innovator in his schemes, although he did outright steal Iowa St's scheme. Also, I would have thought Herman would find someone better outside his coaching circle. Finally, so far Ash hasn't demonstrated he can attract elite talent to work for him. Can't close on elite DL, CB or LB coaches. That's a huge red flag.

Conclusion - slightly better than Orlando in both coaching and recruiting, but not by a lot, for an overall slight improvement IF he hires decent defensive coaches

Yurcich Positives - OSU offenses during his time were always difficult to defend. He has a reputation for being very talented. His move to Ohio State was likely a promotion, even though it was a lower level job, implying they thought highly of him. He seems to do a great job with QB's. His schemes are compatible with Herman's beliefs. He's clearly a better play caller and game plan developer than Beck.

Yurcich Negatives - Reputation as being difficult to work with. OSU fans complained about his decision-making at times. Recruiting ability seems ok, but not elite. He could have been pushed out by Mullet. He doesn't bring air raid knowledge. He's a way worse recruiter than Beck. Beck is elite.

Conclusion - slight better than Beck/Herman in coaching but worse in recruiting for an overall slight improvement

Andre Coleman Positives - Deep experience coaching WR's. Kansas St experience under Snyder is fantastic. Played in the NFL. Held a coordinator job. Seemed to make an impact on WR's in the bowl game. Seems to be liked by the players

Andre Coleman Negatives - Wasn't picked up for another OC role. Unclear whether he's a great recruiter.

Conclusion - has to be better than Nehringer and Meekins in coaching because of all of the negative issues surrounding the WR's, and probably a better recruiter, for an overall improvement.

Valai Positives - Known by Ash, which hopefully indicates he believes highly of him, rather than an indication that Ash can't get anyone else decent. Is loved by the trainer community. Ex-players think highly of him. Has had exposure to college and NFL coaching. Supposedly a decent recruiter.

Valai Negatives - Bad coaching track record, short and unsuccessful. Rutgers linkage implies Herman and Ash can't find people outside their tiny circle to work for them. Washington had a reputation for not teaching his players enough, either because of his deficiencies or not being given enough time to coach during practice by Orlando. Valai is apparently a better teacher. His recruiting prowess is unclear.

Conclusion - He is probably a step down in recruiting, but probably a step up in coaching for an overall slight improvement.

Overall, so far the moves by Herman have been a little bit discouraging. All of this change has occurred, but the improvement only seems to be slightly better than the staff that was let go. More importantly, Herman has not shown an ability to attract talent outside of his circle, which is a major red flag. Maybe it's because people know he's on the hot seat this year. If I were a top coach, I'd wait to see how 2020 played out before thinking about joining the Texas staff. So maybe that's part of the problem, along with Herman's grating personality. 

Based upon all of the above, and what I expect will be average hirings for the remaining positions, Texas will go 9-3 next year, slightly better than what the 2019 coaching staff could produce.  That's better, but still not to where Texas needs to be, so what would Herman do next to get from a 9-3 type team to a 12-1 or better team?

Was this Texags parody?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Questions:

How did Valai fail as a trainer?

Was Valai fired from Georgia? 

He failed as a trainer the same way a sandwich shop fails or Borders failed. He didn’t make money and couldn’t retain customers. No one has seen his books. He gave it a go running a business and it didn’t work out. In and of itself, there is no shame in any of that. 

He wanted to be put on a path to get an on-field role at Georgia. He was told that wasn’t in the cards and looked elsewhere for something new. There is no source for this. I’m passing this on, but I cannot provide anything public to support it, so that for whatever that is worth to you. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Up in the NE it is all about Haaavaad and the Ivys. They dont ask you where you went to school there, they ask where you got your masters.

not exactly true,  i went to Texas undergrad and got one of my graduate degrees in the Ivy League, my grad school classmates were pretty proud to say they were "double ivy"

18 hours ago, Yesh said:

CDC to Herman "Tom, we are the richest athletic department in the country and a blue blood football program.  We should have one of the top 10 coaches at every position.  Put together a list of the top names, let's sit down and discuss each of them and make sure we land one of them.  Some may not come due to loyalty to their current program, or may be bad fits for our schemes or culture, but we will get one of them."

Is that how the process should work?  I don't think that is how the process is working. 

CDC has proven he's a style guy, you're talking substance here

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:15 AM, hornian said:

I just jump to the end of this thread every other day or so. Much more enjoyable that way. But I miss knowing exactly who has the hottest takes. 

Just read every 10th page. The other 9 are the same people bitching about the same things, so you won’t have missed much. 

• Like 3

No it’s not easy but it’s definitely a requirement for the job.  

Literally no defensive back coaches this. You run faster facing forward. If you look back you lose speed. You keep your eyes on the WR and play their hands.

The only time you look back for the ball is when you are in a control position. With younger players they are not going to be in a control position that often.

It is coached that way at every level of football.
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you want to spin it that way fine. But then firing Mehringer mid season and promoting Coleman would have given us a chance to build a new relationship with QJ and keep him. It’s a colossal and completely unnecessary buttfucking no matter the prism through which you choose to view it. 

I understand the buttfucking is especially egregious in federal prisms. 

/tip your waitress, try the veal. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Things transpired as they should have. If Meh was the only problem, then firing him mid-season would have been best. Since there were multiple problems, firing him may have been just enough to get us another win (or two), which may have meant no significant purge.

I said to my son as we were walking away from the ISU game that either things are fine as they are or shit like that has to happen to shake things up.