2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

Did he fail?  I figured working for an actual program would be an overall step up, even if taking a temporary pay cut.    Wouldn't most trainers rather be a coach?

It’s probably like the stripper occupation, inconsistent income and you’re never going to make any real money unless you whore yourself out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Literally no defensive back coaches this. You run faster facing forward. If you look back you lose speed. You keep your eyes on the WR and play their hands.

The only time you look back for the ball is when you are in a control position. With younger players they are not going to be in a control position that often.

It is coached that way at every level of football.

So we’ve been coaching our DBs to not be in a control position?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He failed as a trainer the same way a sandwich shop fails or Borders failed. He didn’t make money and couldn’t retain customers. No one has seen his books. He gave it a go running a business and it didn’t work out. In and of itself, there is no shame in any of that. 

He wanted to be put on a path to get an on-field role at Georgia. He was told that wasn’t in the cards and looked elsewhere for something new. There is no source for this. I’m passing this on, but I cannot provide anything public to support it, so that for whatever that is worth to you. 

None of which means he's a bad coach, though obviously it does mean that for Texas, he was a bad hire. I still maintain if a lower tier school had hired him, it would be a good  choice. And the reason this nuance is important is that this is the off-season, and arguing over stupid shit is the only way possible to avoid complete and utterly devastating boredom.

If Valai can teach our DBs to look back and play the ball then he’ll be a damn genius as far as I’m concerned.   

I’m gonna predict what happens when this occurs.

Currently, posters bitch about playing the WR eyes/hands but not finding the ball. What happens is a contested completion a lot of time with a tackle coming pretty close, pbu, rare int, or big play/td.

When the DB starts playing the ball, posters will cry when said DB misplays the ball and is also out of position to affect the catch or the wr after he starts running again.

This is Surly. We are gonna bitch either way.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Literally no defensive back coaches this. You run faster facing forward. If you look back you lose speed. You keep your eyes on the WR and play their hands.

The only time you look back for the ball is when you are in a control position. With younger players they are not going to be in a control position that often.

get the fuck out of here with that shit, we need to teach guys to run fucking backwards the whole route, eyes always on the ball 

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Currently, posters bitch about playing the WR eyes/hands but not finding the ball. What happens is a contested completion a lot of time with a tackle coming pretty close, pbu, rare int, or big play/td.

When the DB starts playing the ball, posters will cry when said DB misplays the ball and is also out of position to affect the catch or the wr after he starts running again.

I’m sorry, but the playing of the ball by our DBs over the last two years has been embarrassing and the worst anyone alive has seen at Texas in their lifetime. Bitching about DB ball skills this season is pretty much not a Surly poster thing and more of a “yeah, I have eyeballs, this shit is fucking horrible” kind of thing. 

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So is this the coaches association weekend where Tom Herman is making his power moves?  

https://www.afca.com/minnesotas-pj-fleck-kicks-off-2020-afca-convention-speaker-lineup/

MINNESOTA’S PJ FLECK KICKS OFF 2020 AFCA CONVENTION SPEAKER LINEUP

Minnesota Head Coach, PJ Fleck, highlights a list of prominent FBS head coaches that will headline the 2020 AFCA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee on January 12-14, 2020. Fleck returns to the big stage as this year’s Kickoff Speaker, opening the convention Sunday afternoon.

Along with Fleck, there will be seven other current FBS Head Coaches that will speak during the 3 day event. The general session speakers take center stage on Monday & Tuesday with Blake Anderson, Arkansas State; Dave Clawson, Wake Forest; Sonny Dykes, SMU; James Franklin, Penn State; Gary Patterson, TCU; Matt Rhule, Baylor. The convention wraps up on Tuesday afternoon with FBS National Coach Of The Year nominee, Kyle Whittingham, closing out the event as the Victory Formation Speaker.

AFCA Convention in Nashville

THE AMERICAN FOOTBALL COACHES ASSOCIATION ANNUAL CONVENTION IS THE PREMIER NETWORKING EVENT FOR COACHES FROM ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY.

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ruthers gave up 74 less passing yards per game last year than Texas, so we've got that going for us.  

Helps when teams go up by 21 in the first quarter and spend the rest of the game running inside zone with their third string running backs (and rolling up another 30 points).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ruthers gave up 74 less passing yards per game last year than Texas, so we've got that going for us.  

But like 70 more rushing. So, yeah that might be a confound.  

Also, you have to run these stats through a spectrometer before you can say anything.  

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hopefully CDC spring for a booth with a sign that says “will pay $500k/yr with 3 years guaranteed for competent position coaches. Texas recruiting experience not necessary.”

*those with buyouts need not apply 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Did he fail?  I figured working for an actual program would be an overall step up, even if taking a temporary pay cut.    Wouldn't most trainers rather be a coach?

Of course, but you need to filter everything through CTJ's lenses. He didn't fail as a trainer as far as we know. He stopped doing it and switched to a different job. Say you were making $50K a year as a trainer and had to bust your ass getting new clients each year. And then someone offered you equivalent pay with 401K, healthcare and more stability and less work. Would switching to that job be considered a failure? I don't think so. And guess what he is making now? I would say the job switch was a smart move.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

m

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Things transpired as they should have. If Meh was the only problem, then firing him mid-season would have been best. Since there were multiple problems, firing him may have been just enough to get us another win (or two), which may have meant no significant purge.

I said to my son as we were walking away from the ISU game that either things are fine as they are or shit like that has to happen to shake things up.

Meh and Beck were a problem and if Beck wasn't willing to take a demotion then they both needed to go. This could have been done last year and would have given us a chance at a few more wins this past season. And then when Orlando showed that his defense was suspect, he could be replaced now.

45 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Well we tried it one way and that was super shitty.  I can’t imagine the other would be worse and I predict it will have better results.  

2 hours ago, Fico said:

That’s weird because I see good DBs on good teams play the ball all the time with great success.  I guess they just don’t listen to their coaches.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

m

Meh and Beck were a problem and if Beck wasn't willing to take a demotion then they both needed to go. This could have been done last year and would have given us a chance at a few more wins this past season. And then when Orlando showed that his defense was suspect, he could be replaced now.

I agree, but I think you missed my point.  Hermensa is not likely to replace under performing staff unless his hand is forced.  Pull off one more win, and he wouldn't have felt the pressure to cut more than one or two coaches. Eeking out two more wins may have gotten us the same staff next year. We can be thankful that our Alamo Bowl performance was so dominant because maybe it got through his thick skull how much his staff was limiting what Texas' athletes could accomplish.

Anyway, I'm outta here until at least page 200.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I agree, but I think you missed my point.  Hermensa is not likely to replace under performing staff unless his hand is forced.  Pull off one more win, and he wouldn't have felt the pressure to cut more than one or two coaches. Eeking out two more wins may have gotten us the same staff next year. We can be thankful that our Alamo Bowl performance was so dominant because maybe it got through his thick skull how much his staff was limiting what Texas' athletes could accomplish.

I think Herman knew he was going to shitcan Orlando but no way he was going to do it during the season and Orlando was already gone by the bowl game.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, Harvdog said:

This!  Jinks is a really good coach.  He was the guy who started up Cibolo Steele.  He was a solid D2 QB at Angelo State.  He has ties all over the state of Texas and is well respected.  I would run to go get him.  He would be a homerun  hire for this offense.

i am amazed how many people are trashing the new guy before he’s even stepped foot on campus.  Our issue last year was pressure on the QB.  We got very little.  Why did the secondary look good against Utah?  It had more to do with the pass rush and the CB’s not having to cover for longer than 5 seconds. When the QB has all day, any secondary will struggle and we did.  I think we will see massive improvement when the pass rush is solid.

I remember in the 2011 NFL draft, every pundit had the Texans taking Prince Akumara because the Texans had a horrible secondary.  They chose JJ Watt because they knew the key to good secondary play was a pass rush.  I think they got it right because the next year before they were 6-10 and ranked #29 in team defense. The next year they went 10-6 and were ranked #4 in total defense. Their sacks improved and they gave up 1500 less yards. Most of that was in the secondary and the improved pass rush.

The teams that are playing for the Natty on Monday have solid lines with a solid pass rush.  That’s the key to our success next year.  It all starts in the trenches. 

I remember all the mocks mostly having Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith to Houston 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Of course, but you need to filter everything through CTJ's lenses. He didn't fail as a trainer as far as we know. He stopped doing it and switched to a different job. Say you were making $50K a year as a trainer and had to bust your ass getting new clients each year. And then someone offered you equivalent pay with 401K, healthcare and more stability and less work. Would switching to that job be considered a failure? I don't think so. And guess what he is making now? I would say the job switch was a smart move.

Right, unless someone has inside information that the guy was drowning in his business and called someone at Georgia to throw him a lifeline, it seems much more likely that he took a job upgrade with the aim of hopefully moving up the coaching ranks. The hire appears to be a weak one to me, but calling him a failure as a trainer seems like a stretch

1 hour ago, Fud said:

In a vacuum I like Coleman, although his recruiting is a question mark. I’ll like the hire more if texas hires a good volume recruiter at TE to replace Beck’s recruiting ability 

There's a certain guy whose recruiting is always lit

Siap... Noah Cain was trained by Jay Valai.  (While at Georgia, Valai helped recruit Cain until Jay left Jan 2018 for his new job at Kansas City)

Cain:  “Coach Jay Valai is one of the (quality control coaches) on the Georgia staff,” Cain said.  He’d been training me in Texas since I was like 10 years old. He’s a big brother to me. I’ve known him for awhile and that relationship makes Georgia one of my top schools.”  

“No other coach has that type of relationship I have built and I feel I have with Coach Jay,” Cain said. “That goes back to when I was young. I started training with him when I was like 10 or 11 years old. We talk about more than football. We talk about life. When we get the chance to talk, we talk about how our families are doing. He cares about me really developing as a young man and my personal development about so much more than football. … He was really happy for me when I finally got that Georgia offer.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/georgia-strong-tie-noah-cain-nations-top-back-2019

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

SIAP

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Sunday night coaching update

Spoiler

Sunday, 8:40 pm - Still radio silence on the situation involving the Dallas Cowboys' interest in Texas RB coach Stan Drayton, who coached Ezekiel Elliott as RB coach at Ohio State. Apparently, Drayton is telling folks nothing is imminent as far as him possibly moving on.

* I'm told Baylor defensive line coach and former Longhorn defensive tackle Frank Okam is definitely in the mix to be the D-line/DT coach at Texas. But I'm also told Chris Ash and Tom Herman plan to interview a couple more folks.

* While Robb Smith, the former defensive coordinator at Arkansas and Minnesota, is still in the mix for UT's linebackers coach along with former N.C. State DC Dave Huxtable, I'm told Ash and Herman are also interviewing a couple more folks for that position.

FCB - the 'ol 50/50 on Drayton

ChipBrown247
burntorangekoolaid said... (original post)What is your gut feeling on Drayton? Think he stays or walks for the NFL

show more
Again, he's telling folks there's nothing imminent in terms of him leaving. So, at this point, I'd say it's 50-50.