2020 Coaching Staff

47 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Sunday night coaching update

Hide contents

Sunday, 8:40 pm - Still radio silence on the situation involving the Dallas Cowboys' interest in Texas RB coach Stan Drayton, who coached Ezekiel Elliott as RB coach at Ohio State. Apparently, Drayton is telling folks nothing is imminent as far as him possibly moving on.

* I'm told Baylor defensive line coach and former Longhorn defensive tackle Frank Okam is definitely in the mix to be the D-line/DT coach at Texas. But I'm also told Chris Ash and Tom Herman plan to interview a couple more folks.

* While Robb Smith, the former defensive coordinator at Arkansas and Minnesota, is still in the mix for UT's linebackers coach along with former N.C. State DC Dave Huxtable, I'm told Ash and Herman are also interviewing a couple more folks for that position.

"a couple more folks" = "better put this here for if/when Herman just promotes another analyst"

Hopefully this means Okam won't be going to the Carolina Panthers...

Carolina: Indianapolis Colts defensive line coach Mike Phair has accepted the same role for the Carolina Panthers source tells FootballScoop. Phair and Carolina defensive coordinator Phil Snow coached together at Arizona State back in ’99-2000.

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin floated Kevin Kane to coach LBs and cautioned optimism on Okam. He won't come back just to come back. He would come to Texas if it aligns with his coaching ambitions. 

in case people are curious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kane_(American_football)

Coaching Career:

VxICR9l7

i can't believe that he is going to leave a position at SMU where he is the DC, just to be a LB coach at Texas. 

from 247's 40 under 40 article a couple of years ago: https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/SMU-Football-Kevin-Kane-ESPN-40-under-40-120527138/

Spoiler

"New SMU coach Sonny Dykes made one of the better coordinator hires of the winter when he plucked Kane from Northern Illinois, which last season led the nation in tackles for loss (8.8 per game) and ranked second in sacks (3.31 spg) and fourth in defensive touchdowns (five). Kane worked under NC State coach Dave Doeren at Wisconsin and has done two stints at Northern Illinois and one at Kansas, his alma mater. If Kane can upgrade SMU's defense, he'll be very much in demand for elite coordinator jobs or head-coaching opportunities."

his SMU bio: https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-kane/5311

Spoiler

Kevin Kane joined the Mustang coaching staff as Defensive Coordinator and linebackers coach in January of 2018.

In his first season on the Hilltop, Kane’s defense ranked in the top 25 nationally in tackles for loss (17th) and fumble recoveries (22nd). Individually, linebacker Richard Moore registered 92 tackles and had a team-leading 5.0 sacks to earn American Athletic Conference honorable mention accolades. He also added 13.5 TFLs, five quarterback hurries and a forced fumble. Jake Hall ranked sixth nationally with three fumble recoveries on the season.

Kane joined the SMU staff after spending the 2016 and 2017 seasons as the Defensive Coordinator at Northern Illinois. It was his second stint at NIU, having served in multiple capacities on the staff from 2011-14. During the 2015 season, Kane coached linebackers at Kansas.

Kane helped the Huskies to five Bowl appearances during his time in DeKalb, including a win in the 2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl over Arkansas State, and three MAC Championships. The Huskies ranked 26th in the nation in total defense in 2017, leading the nation in tackles for loss (8.8) and ranking second in sacks (3.31) and fourth in defensive TDs (5). NIU ranked seventh nationally in yards per play allowed at just 4.52, trailing only Alabama, Clemson, Wisconsin, Washington, Ohio State and Michigan.

They also ranked in the top 20 in 3rd down conversion percentage defense (11th), rushing defense (16th) and first downs allowed (19th). In 2016, NIU ranked 17th nationally and led the MAC in red zone defense.

Kane arrived at NIU after spending three seasons (2008-10) at Wisconsin, serving as a graduate assistant (2008-09) and quality control assistant (2010). While at Wisconsin, the Badgers earned berths to the 2008 and 2009 Champs Sports Bowls and 2011 Rose Bowl. Kane earned his master's degree in 2010.

His coaching career began in 2006 at Kansas, where he spent two seasons as a student assistant for his alma mater. He helped the Jayhawks to the 2008 Orange Bowl.

A 2006 graduate of Kansas, Kane played linebacker for the Jayhawks, earning All-Big 12 honorable mention accolades from the Associated Press on two occasions. He helped Kansas to a pair of Bowl appearances, including a win in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl. He was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree and was named team captain as senior. He graduated from Rockhurst High School where he helped lead his team to the Missouri State Championship as a junior.

He and wife Theresa have two sons, Jack and Colin, and one daughter, Nora.

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin floated Kevin Kane to coach LBs and cautioned optimism on Okam. He won't come back just to come back. He would come to Texas if it aligns with his coaching ambitions. 

Kevin Kane would be a very good hire. Much better than Robb Smith, anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

while we're having a vociferous debate about this kane guy, can someone list the analysts still on staff so i can get a first look at our LB coach?

QC Coaches/Analysts listed on the Staff Directory:

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

QC Coaches/Analysts listed on the Staff Directory:

i'm intrigued by a father/son co-LB setup. granted, neither one has coached on the defensive side of the ball, but i think it's a slight upgrade simply because there are 2 of them versus 1 previously.

46 minutes ago, NoName said:

in case people are curious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kane_(American_football)

Coaching Career:

VxICR9l7

i can't believe that he is going to leave a position at SMU where he is the DC, just to be a LB coach at Texas. 

from 247's 40 under 40 article a couple of years ago: https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/SMU-Football-Kevin-Kane-ESPN-40-under-40-120527138/

Reveal hidden contents

"New SMU coach Sonny Dykes made one of the better coordinator hires of the winter when he plucked Kane from Northern Illinois, which last season led the nation in tackles for loss (8.8 per game) and ranked second in sacks (3.31 spg) and fourth in defensive touchdowns (five). Kane worked under NC State coach Dave Doeren at Wisconsin and has done two stints at Northern Illinois and one at Kansas, his alma mater. If Kane can upgrade SMU's defense, he'll be very much in demand for elite coordinator jobs or head-coaching opportunities."

his SMU bio: https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-kane/5311

Reveal hidden contents

Kevin Kane joined the Mustang coaching staff as Defensive Coordinator and linebackers coach in January of 2018.

In his first season on the Hilltop, Kane’s defense ranked in the top 25 nationally in tackles for loss (17th) and fumble recoveries (22nd). Individually, linebacker Richard Moore registered 92 tackles and had a team-leading 5.0 sacks to earn American Athletic Conference honorable mention accolades. He also added 13.5 TFLs, five quarterback hurries and a forced fumble. Jake Hall ranked sixth nationally with three fumble recoveries on the season.

Kane joined the SMU staff after spending the 2016 and 2017 seasons as the Defensive Coordinator at Northern Illinois. It was his second stint at NIU, having served in multiple capacities on the staff from 2011-14. During the 2015 season, Kane coached linebackers at Kansas.

Kane helped the Huskies to five Bowl appearances during his time in DeKalb, including a win in the 2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl over Arkansas State, and three MAC Championships. The Huskies ranked 26th in the nation in total defense in 2017, leading the nation in tackles for loss (8.8) and ranking second in sacks (3.31) and fourth in defensive TDs (5). NIU ranked seventh nationally in yards per play allowed at just 4.52, trailing only Alabama, Clemson, Wisconsin, Washington, Ohio State and Michigan.

They also ranked in the top 20 in 3rd down conversion percentage defense (11th), rushing defense (16th) and first downs allowed (19th). In 2016, NIU ranked 17th nationally and led the MAC in red zone defense.

Kane arrived at NIU after spending three seasons (2008-10) at Wisconsin, serving as a graduate assistant (2008-09) and quality control assistant (2010). While at Wisconsin, the Badgers earned berths to the 2008 and 2009 Champs Sports Bowls and 2011 Rose Bowl. Kane earned his master's degree in 2010.

His coaching career began in 2006 at Kansas, where he spent two seasons as a student assistant for his alma mater. He helped the Jayhawks to the 2008 Orange Bowl.

A 2006 graduate of Kansas, Kane played linebacker for the Jayhawks, earning All-Big 12 honorable mention accolades from the Associated Press on two occasions. He helped Kansas to a pair of Bowl appearances, including a win in the 2005 Fort Worth Bowl. He was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 honoree and was named team captain as senior. He graduated from Rockhurst High School where he helped lead his team to the Missouri State Championship as a junior.

He and wife Theresa have two sons, Jack and Colin, and one daughter, Nora.

Was at Wisconsin with Ash for a year. Hard pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kane will have a hard time getting a P5 DC job from Dykes's SMU program. It's really hard to produce a strong defense with that kind of offense. Maybe he sees a job at Texas, I'd imagine with a Co DC title and at least an equal salary, as his avenue into the bigtime.

I'm not very familiar with him. Why is he considered a home run hire?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kane will have a hard time getting a P5 DC job from Dykes's SMU program. It's really hard to produce a strong defense with that kind of offense. Maybe he sees a job at Texas, I'd imagine with a Co DC title and at least an equal salary, as his avenue into the bigtime.

No connection with Rutgers I would assume.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MoJames said:
3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Read more  

No connection with Rutgers I would assume.

No, just the Wisconsin angle

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He'd be great for recruiting, especially in the DFW area. He's also shown a lot of promise during his time at SMU.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Kane — a rising coaching star, if ever one existed — actually engineered the second-best defense Dykes has ever had. The Mustangs ranked 79th in Def. S&P+, inferior to nothing he produced at Cal and second only to the 2011 Louisiana Tech defense, which randomly soared to 44th. And they pulled this off with almost no seniors. Kane improved NIU’s defense by 65 spots, from 91st to 26th, in 2017, then improved SMU by 34 last year.

Watch SMU's 45-31 win over Houston. Kane did a tremendous job slowing down D'Eriq King and shutting down Houston's ground game.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1