WR - Andre Coleman

TE - ??????

OL - Herb Hand

DC/S - Ash

DB - Jay Valai

LB - ??????

DE - Giles

DT - ??????

3 more spots - but one (TE?) likely to be kept open so that Carrington can stay on the road up to NSD2.

Rumors that Josh Henson (aggy OL coach) has been told by Jimbo to seek other employment.  Henson worked at Oklahoma St with Yurcich and has experience as a TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator under Les Miles...

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Shit.  Is.  Happening.

OC/QB - Yurcich

RB - Stan Drayton

WR - Andre Coleman

TE - ??????

OL - Herb Hand

DC/S - Ash

DB - Jay Valai

LB - ??????

DE - Giles

DT - ??????

3 more spots - but one (TE?) likely to be kept open so that Carrington can stay on the road up to NSD2.

Rumors that Josh Henson (aggy OL coach) has been told by Jimbo to seek other employment.  Henson worked at Oklahoma St with Yurcich and has experience as a TE coach and Recruiting Coordinator under Les Miles...

Any update with Drayton?  Seems to have gone quiet.

Coleman quotes

“We are really fortunate and excited to be adding Andre to our full-time coaching staff,” Herman said in the statement announcing Coleman's hire. “He’s a veteran coach who is highly respected, but working with him every day last year gave us a chance to personally see his passion for the game and love for the players. When he stepped in to coach our wide receivers, recruit and work more closely with our coaching staff and players for the Alamo Bowl, we all came away extremely impressed. Andre covers all the bases – he has a great offensive mind, is a tremendous and proven developer of players, outstanding recruiter and just an awesome person and addition to our staff.”

“I’m excited to have the opportunity to stay on staff and coach at The University of Texas,” Coleman said. “It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to coach at school like Texas that’s one of the perennial powers in college sports with such a great tradition and get a chance to recruit the top talent across the nation. I’m looking forward to helping these guys both on and off the field and helping our program be something our fans are proud of. I’ve learned so much from Coach Herman over the past year. He’s one of the best football minds I’ve ever been around, and he’s one of the best motivators I’ve ever been around. I’m excited for the opportunity to continue to grow and learn from him at Texas.”

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

small note, but sounds like Jerry Gray was let go by the Vikings today.

Good news:  We're surely #2 on the list for Jerry Gray.

Bad news:  #1 is every team in the NFL, CFL, XFL or LOL ... 

Edited by Getafix

3 hours ago, NoName said:

QC Coaches/Analysts listed on the Staff Directory:

If ST QC stands for special teams quality control, Casey Horny must give one helluva blowjob

Edited by mr. sunshine
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:57 AM, Dbeasy said:

Looking at all of these coaching changes:

Ash Positives - Herman was very complimentary about his ability to scheme against Herman in the past.  Maybe this guy really is better/smarter than Orlando, and he probably isn't a worse recruiter because Orlando had limited success in recruiting. Also, a bunch of message board idiots were smarter than Orlando, seeing that the 3 man pinch front was stupid and not working while he was oblivious the whole year. Orlando's college pictures make you think he was/is a blockhead. Finally, Ash was in Tom's ear for half the season. Surely he could figure out during that time whether Ash was better than Orlando, couldn't he?

Ash Negatives - When someone fails as miserably at a job like Ash did at Rutgers, that is typically a predictor for the future. While some coaches are good coordinators and bad head coaches, most of the time good coaching is good coaching, or not. I'm also not very enthusiastic about Ash comments on his 4 man front.  Defensive schemes today need to mix up 3 and 4 man fronts, not be tied to one or the other. There's been evidence his schemes have been pretty simplistic, and despite all of the negativity around Orlando, he was known as a tremendous innovator in his schemes, although he did outright steal Iowa St's scheme. Also, I would have thought Herman would find someone better outside his coaching circle. Finally, so far Ash hasn't demonstrated he can attract elite talent to work for him. Can't close on elite DL, CB or LB coaches. That's a huge red flag.

Conclusion - slightly better than Orlando in both coaching and recruiting, but not by a lot, for an overall slight improvement IF he hires decent defensive coaches

Yurcich Positives - OSU offenses during his time were always difficult to defend. He has a reputation for being very talented. His move to Ohio State was likely a promotion, even though it was a lower level job, implying they thought highly of him. He seems to do a great job with QB's. His schemes are compatible with Herman's beliefs. He's clearly a better play caller and game plan developer than Beck.

Yurcich Negatives - Reputation as being difficult to work with. OSU fans complained about his decision-making at times. Recruiting ability seems ok, but not elite. He could have been pushed out by Mullet. He doesn't bring air raid knowledge. He's a way worse recruiter than Beck. Beck is elite.

Conclusion - slight better than Beck/Herman in coaching but worse in recruiting for an overall slight improvement

Andre Coleman Positives - Deep experience coaching WR's. Kansas St experience under Snyder is fantastic. Played in the NFL. Held a coordinator job. Seemed to make an impact on WR's in the bowl game. Seems to be liked by the players

Andre Coleman Negatives - Wasn't picked up for another OC role. Unclear whether he's a great recruiter.

Conclusion - has to be better than Nehringer and Meekins in coaching because of all of the negative issues surrounding the WR's, and probably a better recruiter, for an overall improvement.

Valai Positives - Known by Ash, which hopefully indicates he believes highly of him, rather than an indication that Ash can't get anyone else decent. Is loved by the trainer community. Ex-players think highly of him. Has had exposure to college and NFL coaching. Supposedly a decent recruiter.

Valai Negatives - Bad coaching track record, short and unsuccessful. Rutgers linkage implies Herman and Ash can't find people outside their tiny circle to work for them. Washington had a reputation for not teaching his players enough, either because of his deficiencies or not being given enough time to coach during practice by Orlando. Valai is apparently a better teacher. His recruiting prowess is unclear.

Conclusion - He is probably a step down in recruiting, but probably a step up in coaching for an overall slight improvement.

Overall, so far the moves by Herman have been a little bit discouraging. All of this change has occurred, but the improvement only seems to be slightly better than the staff that was let go. More importantly, Herman has not shown an ability to attract talent outside of his circle, which is a major red flag. Maybe it's because people know he's on the hot seat this year. If I were a top coach, I'd wait to see how 2020 played out before thinking about joining the Texas staff. So maybe that's part of the problem, along with Herman's grating personality. 

Based upon all of the above, and what I expect will be average hirings for the remaining positions, Texas will go 9-3 next year, slightly better than what the 2019 coaching staff could produce.  That's better, but still not to where Texas needs to be, so what would Herman do next to get from a 9-3 type team to a 12-1 or better team?

A defensive scheme being simple doesn't necessarily mean it's not great. 

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Rutgers linkage implies Herman and Ash can't find people outside their tiny circle to work for them.

Valai was in KC when Ash was at Rutgers.  He played for Ash at Wisconsin, but they've never coached together.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

“We are really fortunate and excited to be adding Andre to our full-time coaching staff,” Herman said in the statement announcing Coleman's hire. “He’s a veteran coach who is highly respected, but working with him every day last year gave us a chance to personally see his passion for the game and love for the players. When he stepped in to coach our wide receivers, recruit and work more closely with our coaching staff and players for the Alamo Bowl, we all came away extremely impressed. Andre covers all the bases – he has a great offensive mind, is a tremendous and proven developer of players, outstanding recruiter and just an awesome person and addition to our staff.”

Nice job waiting a year to replace a staff member who sucked, actively undermined you and pissed off the players.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

What are the chances Mensa trots out a phrase along the lines of "best coaching staff in America" when he speaks to the press about his hires?

He'd better, even if it's bullshit. That's the politics part of the job, whether we like it or not. A head coach is supposed to advertise stinkless shit on the part of his program. Which is a whole lot easier when you don't have Warehime on staff any more.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

A head coach is supposed to advertise stinkless shit on the part of his program. Which is a whole lot easier when you don't have Warehime on staff any more.

the problem with telling the players 'if you buy in to what we are saying and do everything that we ask you to do you're going to achieve your best' and the players do buy-in and give their all and the net result is they look like complete idiots on the field and their coaches get fired (again) it becomes pretty difficult to get buy-in from those same guys.

tom has had a really difficult job trying to sell the future of this program to professionals he can dangle big promotions to...that seems like a cakewalk compared to the selling job he's going to have to do within the locker room. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the problem with telling the players 'if you buy in to what we are saying and do everything that we ask you to do you're going to achieve your best' and the players do buy-in and give their all and the net result is they look like complete idiots on the field and their coaches get fired (again) it becomes pretty difficult to get buy-in from those same guys.

tom has had a really difficult job trying to sell the future of this program to professionals he can dangle big promotions to...that seems like a cakewalk compared to the selling job he's going to have to do within the locker room. 

Fortunately one of the big things about Coleman is that the receivers really like him already, and they loaaaathed Mehringer.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Fortunately one of the big things about Coleman is that the receivers really like him already, and they loaaaathed Mehringer.

yeah that's addition by subtraction however you look at it. But Herman's still the guy asking them to run through a brick wall again. it's imperative these players see early results from their offseason efforts or else...

which brings in to sharper focus the need to hire really good coaches that can develop and scheme the talent on hand. 

We only lose with an 8 to 9 win mediocre season or set of seasons with these hires since Tom is unlikely to push for better performance by getting rid of mediocre coaches and getting better ones. He kept Mehringer after finding out the guy was causing a mess and he kept Beck on after taking over play calling in 2018 and not wanting to be the one doing the job. That says it all, the guy for some reason can't let folks go and hire new people that will get the job done.

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They looked pretty bought in against Utah. If they were going to mail it in because of staff turnover, I imagine it would have happened then. 

That was a good performance and a positive data point, but that should be weighed against the poor performances we saw in several games last season, from an inconsistent team that lost a few important contributors.

Just the year before, we were thrilled with how the season ended against Georgia, and then 2019 happened.

• Like 1

Valai was in KC when Ash was at Rutgers.  He played for Ash at Wisconsin, but they've never coached together.

Ash hired Valai at Rutgers for 2019. They coached through spring ball, fall camp, and the early portion of 2019 before Ash was fired.

One thing overlooked on here, though, is that Ash hired Valai in a pinch after the CB coach he'd hired months earlier took a DB coach job with the NY Giants. He's definitely not teathered to Ash the way many of Herman's assistants were to him when he first started here.

I'm not necessarialy defending the hire because I ultimately agree Texas should do better. And if you hire a Valai at one spot, you'd damn well better crush it everywhere else, which hasn't happened. But I think the comfort hire angle is overblown. It's plausible that, given Ash didn't go for Valai originally, that Ash was just really impressed with Valai once he got to campus.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

We only lose with an 8 to 9 win mediocre season or set of seasons with these hires since Tom is unlikely to push for better performance by getting rid of mediocre coaches and getting better ones. He kept Mehringer after finding out the guy was causing a mess and he kept Beck on after taking over play calling in 2018 and not wanting to be the one doing the job. That says it all, the guy for some reason can't let folks go and hire new people that will get the job done.

It's looking like the people that are saying no one wants to coach with an arrogant coach on the hot seat are right. 

I don't think he can't get any better coaches.  

He may be afraid to hire coaches that are better than him,  but at this point it doesn't even look like an option.  

Edited by Laga4

Ash hired Valai at Rutgers for 2019. They coached through spring ball, fall camp, and the early portion of 2019 before Ash was fired.

One thing overlooked on here, though, is that Ash hired Valai in a pinch after the CB coach he'd hired months earlier took a DB coach job with the NY Giants. He's definitely not teathered to Ash the way many of Herman's assistants were to him when he first started here.

I'm not necessarialy defending the hire because I ultimately agree Texas should do better. And if you hire a Valai at one spot, you'd damn well better crush it everywhere else, which hasn't happened. But I think the comfort hire angle is overblown. It's plausible that, given Ash didn't go for Valai originally, that Ash was just really impressed with Valai once he got to campus.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’m updating my 9-3 prediction to 10-2 solely because of this post.

Sent from Eat Me Hucklefairy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1