2020 Coaching Staff

Rigid adherence to preconceived notions is not proof of a lack of intelligence; it's just usually foolish. And low EQ can frequently present as aloof "dim-bulbousness".

I have zero doubt that Herman is MENSA. I also have zero doubt that the ability to solve abstract geometric puzzles manifested well to his skill as an OC, but has fuck-all to do with his ineptitude as a CEO.

I think I would probably like him as a neighbor or co-worker. I know I would NOT like him as a boss.

I like the Hutzler hire without caveat. Looks like a terrific move. I hope he can also recruit well. 

Regarding the MENSA stuff, I've always just assumed it was some sort of PR manufactured lie from years gone by that just kind of stuck with him wherever he went. Having met the guy and seen his Hermantics up close, there's no way he's a high IQ guy. Above room temperature? Sure. Above 140? No. I've known two geniuses in my life and, holy shit, you know it when you see it and there is no mistaking it. Known plenty of gifted, high IQ people and frankly, none of them resemble The Hermanitard.

• Like 3

IT the new Roach - this was posted <10min ago

Spoiler

Anwar originally threw out the name Coleman Hutzler.

I hear it's close but not quite done yet. Cold be done any minute, though.

Texas isn't exactly throwing out big money for assistants so keep that in mind. While Herman isn't on the most secure seat, Muschamp nearly got fired this season.

Hutzler would check the LB and ST box. I don't know much about him but some good defensive minds have signed off on him.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like the Hutzler hire without caveat. Looks like a terrific move. I hope he can also recruit well. 

Regarding the MENSA stuff, I've always just assumed it was some sort of PR manufactured lie from years gone by that just kind of stuck with him wherever he went. Having met the guy and seen his Hermantics up close, there's no way he's a high IQ guy. Above room temperature? Sure. Above 140? No. I've known two geniuses in my life and, holy shit, you know it when you see it and there is no mistaking it. Known plenty of gifted, high IQ people and frankly, none of them resemble The Hermanitard.

My read has been that he was once a high IQ guy who lost a lot of it due to long term inactivity and alcohol/drug use 

Seems like a good hire. Overall, I think these have all been pretty good (Valai being my main question mark), even if the timeline hasn't been great.

Doesn’t Ash essentially coach the entire secondary with specialization to safeties? Makes sense that he would want a pure recruiter type back there with him
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Meet more. The range of personalities associated with high IQ is just as vast as the range of personalities in the population generally. Emotional processing is almost entirely divorced as a developmental concept from level of intelligence; likewise, level of intelligence is almost entirely divorced from the idea of performance, with the obvious caveat that you have to at least have a certain level to achieve goals within a given set of tasks -- but we've already established that the level of intelligence required for a football coach is ridiculously low.

If anything, the smartest guys in the coaching profession are usually not the top performers, especially if they are in love with the idea of being smart. John Mackovic comes to mind immediately.

Anyway, I've known plenty of brilliant functional regards. More, in fact, than I've known brilliant high-performers.

I never said anything about all of the highly intelligent people being high performers. You projected that assumption, long after I'd already stated otherwise. And yeah, not everything is a straight IQ play. No shit. The original question/discussion was about MENSA, which is a straight IQ play, and how that relates back to people any of us know with the MENSA cert attached. 

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Seems like a good hire. Overall, I think these have all been pretty good (Valai being my main question mark), even if the timeline hasn't been great.

Valai needs to be a plus recruiter.  he might be a good  DB coach but no one really knows yet.  not enough history.  They probably thought they could take a shot at a potential plus recruiter since Ash can help with DB coaching overall.

Tuesday update from Anwar. Points to Okam IMNSHO

Spoiler

I checked in with my sources and learned South Carolina linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler's contract has been finalized, and he will join Tom Herman's staff. It is just a matter of time before UT sends out an official press release.

With Hutzler's deal done, Herman's remaining two hires are a tight ends coach and second defensive line coach.

According to my sources, there is a good chance those positions are filled by the end of this week. The final dead period day is on Thursday, which means Herman's new staff members can hit the road recruiting this weekend. I am still working on getting accurate names of candidates for the final two positions.

I will keep you posted

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This thought has bothered me for some time. I get that Mensa is a little bit scammy and markety, but you do actually have to qualify by scoring extremely high on an approved nationally-recognized test like the IQ test, or the SAT, or the MCAT.  That means you have some level of applied intelligence that’s far above average at something.

It just means you are good at standardized tests.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT the new Roach - this was posted <10min ago

Reveal hidden contents

Anwar originally threw out the name Coleman Hutzler.

I hear it's close but not quite done yet. Cold be done any minute, though.

Texas isn't exactly throwing out big money for assistants so keep that in mind. While Herman isn't on the most secure seat, Muschamp nearly got fired this season.

Hutzler would check the LB and ST box. I don't know much about him but some good defensive minds have signed off on him.

I read that with the sound of heavy heavy breathing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Went to the website, and it says the process to join is as follows: "To become a Mensan, all you need to do is demonstrate you have an IQ in the top two per cent. There is no other criterion. That means scoring at the 98th percentile or above on an accepted intelligence test. "

The list of tests is fairly long:  https://www.us.mensa.org/join/testscores/qualifying-test-scores/

As far as why - most people I know of join because they're professional opinion-givers, like consultants or expert witnesses, and (like it or not) the Mensa thing impresses the people who choose to hire such folks.  Similar to "Senior Class Vice President" on college entrance applications.

Anyway, I agree that there's a big difference between "capable" and "intelligent."  See it every day with "experts."  But the mistakes supposedly "intelligent" people make seem to be along a certain vein - they do things like over-analyze and focus on minutiae, paralyze themselves with too many options and potential variables, complicate simple ideas, etc.  

Other than the "too arrogant to listen to common sense or other people," the mistakes I see from Herman look to me like a guy who can't process all the moving parts quickly enough.  Add to that the fact that there are reports from other coaches that he's a bit of a dim bulb, and I just don't get it.

I thought that his Mensa-ship had been confirmed but if not, that makes sense. 

Ha.  According to that, I'm qualified for MENSA.  I'm not a dumb guy, but if I qualify for the super smart society then it's probably not all that it's made out to be.