2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the Texas social media had any balls, and no brains, they’d announce the hire with a shop of him on the cover of a Hutzler magazine, with a teaser for Bevo shots. 

Not Lee Corso approved.

Edited by clapclapclap
We're just having fun here, no?
  • Haha 1

I guess I need to understand some things that make no sense to me.

So with Ash if we had hired him away from Ohio State when he was a coordinator there everyone would be pretty stoked but because two years later he failed as a head coach, now he is a bad coach?

Same with Yurich, if we had hired him from OK St he would be a very good hire but because he went to Oh St and didn't call plays even though ther were still very successful under his watch he is a bad hire?

That just makes no sense to me.  I have no idea whether they will be good coaches at Texas but they have had the success to get this type of position.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MORRISSEY said:

So with Ash if we had hired him away from Ohio State when he was a coordinator there everyone would be pretty stoked but because two years later he failed as a head coach, now he is a bad coach?

Same with Yurich, if we had hired him from OK St he would be a very good hire but because he went to Oh St and didn't call plays even though ther were still very successful under his watch he is a bad hire?

That just makes no sense to me.  I have no idea whether they will be good coaches at Texas but they have had the success to get this type of position.

This isn't gruntled horns it's surly horns. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MORRISSEY said:

What difference does it make?*

*It makes none, but now you have gone, and your prejudice won't keep you warm tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I like the Hutzler hire without caveat. Looks like a terrific move. I hope he can also recruit well. 

Regarding the MENSA stuff, I've always just assumed it was some sort of PR manufactured lie from years gone by that just kind of stuck with him wherever he went. Having met the guy and seen his Hermantics up close, there's no way he's a high IQ guy. Above room temperature? Sure. Above 140? No. I've known two geniuses in my life and, holy shit, you know it when you see it and there is no mistaking it. Known plenty of gifted, high IQ people and frankly, none of them resemble The Hermanitard.

You don’t have to be that smart to get into Mensa.

19 minutes ago, MORRISSEY said:

Men and women are different. When a woman has that teacher/schoolgirl look with glasses, guys want to jizz all over them. Do you think women look at some IT guy and think, "I'm gonna rip off his pocket protector and cum all over his glasses?"

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man the LBs going from Orlando occasionally popping around when he's not teaching CBs how to shed OTs to Hutzler should be a big change. 

Will be very interesting to see what he can do with Ossai next year. Hoping he can build on that Alamo Bowl performance in a big way next year.

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Went to the website, and it says the process to join is as follows: "To become a Mensan, all you need to do is demonstrate you have an IQ in the top two per cent. There is no other criterion. That means scoring at the 98th percentile or above on an accepted intelligence test. "

The list of tests is fairly long:  https://www.us.mensa.org/join/testscores/qualifying-test-scores/

As far as why - most people I know of join because they're professional opinion-givers, like consultants or expert witnesses, and (like it or not) the Mensa thing impresses the people who choose to hire such folks.  Similar to "Senior Class Vice President" on college entrance applications.

Anyway, I agree that there's a big difference between "capable" and "intelligent."  See it every day with "experts."  But the mistakes supposedly "intelligent" people make seem to be along a certain vein - they do things like over-analyze and focus on minutiae, paralyze themselves with too many options and potential variables, complicate simple ideas, etc.  

Other than the "too arrogant to listen to common sense or other people," the mistakes I see from Herman look to me like a guy who can't process all the moving parts quickly enough.  Add to that the fact that there are reports from other coaches that he's a bit of a dim bulb, and I just don't get it.

I thought that his Mensa-ship had been confirmed but if not, that makes sense. 

Fuckin' 2 percenters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Holy shit, if you got a 1250 SAT in the 80s, you're in MENSA. For the record, I got a 1300, but I am nowhere near stupid enough to pay $40 for membership in a club that only proves that you are willing to throw away $40 on something meaningless.

Besides, I know plenty of people I consider smarter than me who didn't score as high on standardized tests.

Long story short, I have zero difficulty believing Tom Herman is in MENSA. Or that it ultimately has nothing to do with anything.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Holy shit, if you got a 1250 SAT in the 80s, you're in MENSA. For the record, I got a 1300, but I am nowhere near stupid enough to pay $40 for membership in a club that only proves that you are willing to throw away $40 on something meaningless.

Besides, I know plenty of people I consider smarter than me who didn't score as high on standardized tests.

Long story short, I have zero difficulty believing Tom Herman is in MENSA. Or that it ultimately has nothing to do with anything.

For the record, I got 1301.  I mean, it's not a competition nor anything.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Men and women are different. When a woman has that teacher/schoolgirl look with glasses, guys want to jizz all over them. Do you think women look at some IT guy and think, "I'm gonna rip off his pocket protector and cum all over his glasses?"

1501110610331.gif

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the MENSA stuff, I've always just assumed it was some sort of PR manufactured lie from years gone by that just kind of stuck with him wherever he went. Having met the guy and seen his Hermantics up close, there's no way he's a high IQ guy. Above room temperature? Sure. Above 140? No. I've known two geniuses in my life and, holy shit, you know it when you see it and there is no mistaking it. Known plenty of gifted, high IQ people and frankly, none of them resemble The Hermanitard.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

My read has been that he was once a high IQ guy who lost a lot of it due to long term inactivity and alcohol/drug use 

I hate that this is about to happen, but I have some background in it, so here we go.

All kids are basically narcissists by design. Eventually, narcissism (self-centeredness/lack of empathy) is replaced by self-esteem in late adolescence and early adulthood. Self-esteem can be cultivated by family relationships, but also socially. There are often barriers to developing self-esteem in youth, particularly emotionally/physically abusive parents or lack of access to healthy relationships. 

"Narcissists" are not one defined set of traits. It's significantly more nuanced than that, specifically around when (if ever) a suspected narcissist becomes self-aware. This is the divergent point - depending on the existing self-esteem of said narcissist, they can either go full on, or become somewhat of a hybrid. Typically this hybrid model becomes sensitive to perception because less than normal self-esteem combined with semi-awareness of narcissistic tendencies equals "people need to stop thinking I'm a dick". Juxtaposed with the other 94% of people who would think "I need to stop being a dick". 

TH is a very good representation of the hybrid narcissist (narcissist lite). Considering the biographical details of his life, it appears that the educational accomplishments (MENSA, dual college majors, Presidential scholar, etc) are an effort to accommodate perception. He's clearly a really hard working guy, narcissists typically have no problem initiating if the work/task can contribute to positive perception by others. All of his academic achievements are just that, academic. MENSA isn't an intelligence meter like the IQ test, it's a society of people who have tested in. Hard working people can be very good test takers. Tom isn't a genius, but he probably knows that and overcompensates with work resulting in visible accomplishment to give the perception of genius. Narcissism heavy could give a shit what people think unless it feeds their ambition.

Professionally, overachievers thrive in environments that present clear boundaries and metrics for success and are typically best suited as individual contributors. Narcissists often thrive in environments where they create the boundaries and success criteria, preferably in positions of power or organizational influence. Someone that is both can struggle to balance their desire to be perceived as an overachiever and fulfill their narcissistic tendencies. A subordinate search would be particularly challenging as the narcissist seeks validation from the subordinate and the overachiever seeks public approval. The staff as it exists today is a delicate byproduct of the inner conflict of a narcissist lite. The desired skill that's yet to be revealed in any coach or candidate is the ability to manage up. 

In conclusion, @closetojumping is probably right, and I hate it. I don't think that Tom Herman won't be successful at Texas as a result, but I don't think that these combinations of traits allow for sustained success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Happens to me all the time. What goes on in the server room stays in the server room!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hate that this is about to happen, but I have some background in it, so here we go.

All kids are basically narcissists by design. Eventually, narcissism (self-centeredness/lack of empathy) is replaced by self-esteem in late adolescence and early adulthood. Self-esteem can be cultivated by family relationships, but also socially. There are often barriers to developing self-esteem in youth, particularly emotionally/physically abusive parents or lack of access to healthy relationships. 

"Narcissists" are not one defined set of traits. It's significantly more nuanced than that, specifically around when (if ever) a suspected narcissist becomes self-aware. This is the divergent point - depending on the existing self-esteem of said narcissist, they can either go full on, or become somewhat of a hybrid. Typically this hybrid model becomes sensitive to perception because less than normal self-esteem combined with semi-awareness of narcissistic tendencies equals "people need to stop thinking I'm a dick". Juxtaposed with the other 94% of people who would think "I need to stop being a dick". 

TH is a very good representation of the hybrid narcissist (narcissist lite). Considering the biographical details of his life, it appears that the educational accomplishments (MENSA, dual college majors, Presidential scholar, etc) are an effort to accommodate perception. He's clearly a really hard working guy, narcissists typically have no problem initiating if the work/task can contribute to positive perception by others. All of his academic achievements are just that, academic. MENSA isn't an intelligence meter like the IQ test, it's a society of people who have tested in. Hard working people can be very good test takers. Tom isn't a genius, but he probably knows that and overcompensates with work resulting in visible accomplishment to give the perception of genius. Narcissism heavy could give a shit what people think unless it feeds their ambition.

Professionally, overachievers thrive in environments that present clear boundaries and metrics for success and are typically best suited as individual contributors. Narcissists often thrive in environments where they create the boundaries and success criteria, preferably in positions of power or organizational influence. Someone that is both can struggle to balance their desire to be perceived as an overachiever and fulfill their narcissistic tendencies. A subordinate search would be particularly challenging as the narcissist seeks validation from the subordinate and the overachiever seeks public approval. The staff as it exists today is a delicate byproduct of the inner conflict of a narcissist lite. The desired skill that's yet to be revealed in any coach or candidate is the ability to manage up. 

In conclusion, @closetojumping is probably right, and I hate it. I don't think that Tom Herman won't be successful at Texas as a result, but I don't think that these combinations of traits allow for sustained success. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2