2020 Coaching Staff

42 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I wonder if it's going to be Joey McGuire from Baylor, given the recent smoke that they're going for an outside candidate.

and he is only coming here if Baylor is 100% going in another direction and cleaning staff, which I doubt he can possibly know for sure by Friday. 

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How long will it be before people realize that doing something at a high level is not required to teach it at a high level?

This is not specific to Carrington as at Texas I want people who have proven to be good teachers, but whether or not the guy played college football will have jack shit to do with whether or not he could possibly be good at coaching technique.

So do we send him to a summer coaching clinic and let him have at it? Or have one of our coaches teach him what to teach the players rather than just teaching the players?

That was more of my point. I'd agree in general you can teach (some things) without having done it yourself at a high level.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Because Brady left? Nah they'll go money whip another big spread OC.

Maybe they'll lightly tamper with a QB they like, like that Wake kid that left a P5 starting job and walked right to Athens.

Yep, with some hard cash compensation. Can't wait for the King bidding war.

Edited by Bevo

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How long will it be before people realize that doing something at a high level is not required to teach it at a high level?

This is not specific to Carrington as at Texas I want people who have proven to be good teachers, but whether or not the guy played college football will have jack shit to do with whether or not he could possibly be good at coaching technique.

I remember when reporters and ex-player pundits where still whining about whether the players would respect Jose Mourinho as a manager because he'd never played soccer AFTER he'd won the Champions League. I always thought that shit was dumb, athletes know whether a coach knows his stuff regardless of that.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If okam was happening today, or a te coach by Friday, anwar would have tweeted about it by now. 

Maybe Mensa had somebody throw Nahlin a bone on the Okam hire?  Can't give Anwar all the hot tips yah know...  😂 

Play a little Monopoly... "Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel"

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you have to consider that the school and the state is poor. They never actually had to PAY Brady the 1.7 or whatever they proposed. They'd do it, of course, after seeing results and the windfall that comes with a national title. But who are they going to just throw 1.7 at now that makes sense for that money? It won't be an analyst? And who's the proven OC that's going to go there now? I'm not saying this isn't happening, but lets not remember this school and state is as bankrupt financially as they are morally. 

Shit, they would close every satellite campus in the state and sell off the real estate to fund the football and baseball programs if they had to. 

Dude didn't play college ball right? Not even sure how much high school ball he played. IIRC he was a college student and part-time waiter that somehow worked his way into a support role with Herman's UH teams. I know the guy's a huge plus on our team, but I don't want him coaching anybody about football technique.

That someone on an online message board that exists for unqualified fans to give their takes on the team wrote this with a straight face baffles me.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, sounds more like they're just passing on what they read at IT

Baylor mods' reactions are almost universally knee-jerk opposite whatever Texas boards suggest.  The fact that they're not dismissing it outright seems like relevant evidence.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's all it takes - 9 months with Joe Brady and you too can successfully run the country's most explosive offense.  Sure you've still got that 70yr old OC who hasn't done dick without Brady running things - but now he has Brady's playbook.  Surely the production will be the same.

Sir, i’ll have you know that playbook is now in a binder!

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It should be pretty clear to everyone that TE is a pivotal role in our offense under Herman. I'll pass on hiring someone that has no experience playing or coaching the position, much less someone that has never coached any position.

Of all the failures from the Texas coaching staff, the inability of the offense to adapt to the loss of Cade Brewer (the only credible blocking AND receiving threat on the roster last season) was perhaps the most galling and inexplicable. Yes, the TE is a major weapon in today's football, and our offense relies on it frequently. To simply continue to stubbornly run the same plays with no dual threat was sheer stupidity.

I'm looking forward to that ineptitude being corrected.

2 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Of all the failures from the Texas coaching staff, the inability of the offense to adapt to the loss of Cade Brewer (the only credible blocking AND receiving threat on the roster last season) was perhaps the most galling and inexplicable. Yes, the TE is a major weapon in today's football, and our offense relies on it frequently. To simply continue to stubbornly run the same plays with no dual threat was sheer stupidity.

I played a little TE on a passing team and I was always told importance of position went: 1C, 2QB, 3TE

6 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Won't be a problem next year.

Wiley has a good chance to pass Brewer next year. 

If anything under Herman you see after QB the H Back/TE is the second most important position. Even more than the slot WR. 

14 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Good thing Herman is addressing that in the 2020 recruiting class. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Good thing Herman is addressing that in the 2020 recruiting class. 

Well it's good that he took two in the last class, one of which was a summer enrollee that showed potential while switching positions and the other one was a bluechip we were able to redshirt.

He's also taking two in this class.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I played a little TE on a passing team and I was always told importance of position went: 1C, 2QB, 3TE

That's how I always heard it, too, though with the caveats that I heard it from a junior high coach who I'm not sure ever saw his own toes even once in his life (think Mangino fat, only as a 4'10" Hispanic dude), I played DE, we were a triple-option team, and we sucked shit through a straw. But Center, QB, TE... yeah, that stuck with me.

• Like 1