2020 Coaching Staff

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I do not know how the defense will finish out but that offensive staff is like a million times better. Granted the bar was set pretty low but this is what it should have looked like in year one under Herman. 

The bar is crack-in-the-concrete low for outdoing the band of not-ready-for-prime-time-players that Coach Fuckface brought in, so yeah, firing the majority of them and leaving the positions empty was a stronger strategy than keeping them. However, for sure the offensive side of the staff now looks substantially better on all fronts. I'm stoked. Adding a bag man and deploying him as a true response to the SEC/Ohio State encroachment? Stoked. Fuck it, let's go.

Also, Sean Snyder is still a fucking terrible candidate. But hey, maybe the douches covering the program were all wrong and he joins the staff as an analyst, which would be great.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

so what does the staff look like now?

OC/QB - Yurcich

RB - Drayton

OL - Hand

TE - Boulware

WR - Coleman

so offense is done. and gotta say, i think the offensive side is MUCH stronger than before. Can Boulware offset the loss of Beck's recruiting?

DE - Giles

DL - ?

LB - Hutzler

CB - Valai

DC/S - Ash

Missing one DL coach. LB is a huge upgrade. Jury is still out on Valai vs Washington. DC - is an upgrade so long as he isnt an idiot like Orlando. If we can close with a DL coach similar to Boulware in terms of quality, we will be much stronger on the D side as well.

Who are the stud recruiters? Boulware? 

I’m no recruitnik (well, not since Wheeler stole my money on that bus trip) but Ash was the lead on getting Jeff Okudah to Ohio State from Grand Prairie. 

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

@InsideBoomerGuy247 reporting that Boulware was told to look around.

Excellent. Feeding their readers that cliché means they didn't want to lose him.

Only way I'd believe it is if this wasn't the first time they reported that. As mentioned above it's been 3 weeks since their season ended. Have there been previous reports he was told to look around? 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Boulware seems like a great hire. This is the type of staff Herman should have assembled from the get go.  

Still unsure of Ash and the CB coach, but we'll see.  

Still questions about Ash as a DC but he's a very good DB coach. 

In 2009, the year before Ash, Wisconsin was 73rd in passing yards allowed per game. The following 3 years with Ash as a DB coach they ranked 32nd, 8th, and 11th. 

In 2012, the year before Ash, Arkansas was 115th in passing yards allowed per game. They finished 79th in the following year with Ash. 

In 2013, the year before Ash, Ohio State was 118th in passing yards allowed per game. The following 2 years with Ash they finished 15th and 13th. 

There's no reason we shouldn't see improvement in pass defense. 

I do not know how the defense will finish out but that offensive staff is like a million times better. Granted the bar was set pretty low but this is what it should have looked like in year one under Herman. 

Seems like Tom actually learned something. Hopefully, we can subscribe the first go round as a combo of youth and arrogance as a young coach. And, he’d won with a lot of those guys. Getting his ass handed to him this year may be a big long term benefit. Here’s to tequila flavored kool aid.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There's a difference between blaming players for what were clearly stupid play calls and calling out players for not having done their homework. But yeah, I suppose it's a risk. I'd still rather have hard-asses as coaches, though. Rick Neuheisel's Sunshine and Lollipops coaching style never seemed like a winning combination to me.

I figure that you're more of an Incense and Peppermints man.

Ash knows secondary coaches.

At Rutgers his first CB coach went to the NFL 

The other is Valai who is at Texas

Ash's other secondary coach was Bill Busch who went to LSU and is now the leading guy for the Baylor DC job.

Research all the secondary guys Ash has worked with. 

Edited by TheGhost
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

/csb

I ran into Bob Stoops and his wife in Chicago at lunch one time shortly before he retired. After talking for several minutes I informed him that I went to Texas and that I would understand if he wanted to get up and walk away. He told me the best teacher and example of a man as a coach on his staff went to Texas. His wife said Jay was one of the best people they ever met. 

It pissed me off because I actually left kind of liking him as a person but now I laugh because we now have Jay on our staff. 

Bitch why you just saying something now? We could have had this guy weeks ago.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Even if it is true we already have what I perceive to be a stronger ST coach on staff. He did coach OL at some point so he should be able to teach the TE's how to block and TE coaching is mostly what he did at other stops to rise in the ranks . So we shall see.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Sting of losing Jase McClellan to Bama after being committed to blOU for almost 2yrs is one excuse some blOU folks are saying JB was asked to look around...  😂😂😂

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/12/18/21029085/elite-rb-jase-mcclellan-flips-from-oklahoma-to-alabama

Is Yancy remaining at strength and conditioning coach? There was some talk later in the season that he had played a part in some of the discord that helped derail the season. The suggestion was that he had lost the trust of some of the players. Anyone have any insight on that situation? 

45 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Is Yancy remaining at strength and conditioning coach? There was some talk later in the season that he had played a part in some of the discord that helped derail the season. The suggestion was that he had lost the trust of some of the players. Anyone have any insight on that situation? 

No. It sure seemed to quiet down once we manhandled Utah.

51 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

V excited to see how much our injuries drop this coming year, since we'll be teaching our defense actual rugby tackling instead of launching.

1 hour ago, TheGhost said:

Noticing the new staff has something in common.

The ability to recruit Georgia. If they hire Buckner this will make it even more so. 

No reason for UGA and Clemson to be able to recruit Texas without receiving collateral damage. 

We aren't getting Buckner.

Texas: Texas is looking for offensive grad assistants that can work with offensive line or quarterbacks and defensive grad assistants that can work with linebackers or defensive line. Must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above and a competitive GRE score to be considered. Please send resume, transcript & GRE scores to TexasFB.Jobs@utexas.edu

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

V excited to see how much our injuries drop this coming year, since we'll be teaching our defense actual rugby tackling instead of launching.

This can’t be said enough! Proper form and technique across the board will be very welcome. 

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

All your black former OU assistants named Jay are belong to us. And sometimes they move on to coach at Nevada.

I miss him.  I actually checked the other day to see if he might be getting fired soon, so that we could hire him.  Looks like he's doing fine/well there, though.

• Like 1