2020 Coaching Staff

18 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Coaching update - Sunday, 1:45pm    

ChipBrown247
 - I'm told former Longhorn and Baylor DL coach Frank Okam, who has been offered a position on Mack Brown's defensive staff at North Carolina, is still under consideration at Texas.

FU_CHIP_BROWN.jpg 

HaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHa!!

Thx @TreatyOak

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Coaching update - Sunday, 1:45pm

Hide contents

ChipBrown247
Sunday 1:45 pm - I'm told former Longhorn and Baylor DL coach Frank Okam, who has been offered a position on Mack Brown's defensive staff at North Carolina, is still under consideration at Texas.

giphy.gif

Don’t blame Chip. Blame the contact who “told” him. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

DL recruiting and development are important for Texas to win B12 and hopefully compete in future CFP.  For me, this new DL assistant hire is the most important hire after Yrrrrrcich and Ash.

Any more new names Surly folks hearing for this new DL coach?

To me, it is the least important position coach. We already have Giles who can coach both positions if necessary and Collins looks like he is ready to join the class with or without the additional hire. OTOH, our linebackers sucked and our linebacker recruiting continues to suck. So, that is where we needed the most help. DE coach is almost a luxury pic (except for the fact that Giles needs help on the recruiting trail and DE technique needs to change with the Ash defense).

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

To me, it is the least important position coach. We already have Giles who can coach both positions if necessary and Collins looks like he is ready to join the class with or without the additional hire. OTOH, our linebackers sucked and our linebacker recruiting continues to suck. So, that is where we needed the most help. DE coach is almost a luxury pic (except for the fact that Giles needs help on the recruiting trail and DE technique needs to change with the Ash defense).

Well they have one solid 2021 LB commit and by the looks of Cooks photos on twitter, seems like the staff has made a good impression on him as well.  Interested in seeing Ash and the new LB coach take on the many bodies we have right now in the spring

7 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Does Giles really need help or was it Orlando's trash scheme that gave him a very uphill battle?  Never had trouble recruiting stud DLinemen under Mack when Giles was on staff.

This right here is why I don't understand the hate for Giles. I went to NC game against Alabama and those boys looked tiny compared too the OL guys on Bama but they dominated at times against that OL and that has to do with good technique when you are that much smaller.

• Like 1

This right here is why I don't understand the hate for Giles. I went to NC game against Alabama and those boys looked tiny compared too the OL guys on Bama but they dominated at times against that OL and that has to do with good technique when you are that much smaller.

The knock is he doesn’t recruit, not that he can’t coach.

22 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

The knock is he doesn’t recruit, not that he can’t coach.

Mehringer could recruit. I rather have Giles and I still do not buy he cannot recruit. He just requires a better closer behind him than others. Orlando was not it and Ash is reputed to be a good closer.

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Mehringer could recruit. I rather have Giles and I still do not buy he cannot recruit. He just requires a better closer behind him than others. Orlando was not it and Ash is reputed to be a good closer.

Neither Mehringer or Giles are worth a fuck as recruiters. Please do yourself a service and move on from the Mehringer take as a means of saving everyone some time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Get the fuck out of here. Mehringer couldn't recruit for shit. Most of his WR's he gets credited for by a flawed 247 system were assists from other guys, like Tim Beck and other staff members. The only guy who ever really claimed this amazing Mehringer relationship was Bru McCoy. Quentin Johnson liked him, but if we fired him mid season and promoted Coleman, we still keep his commitment. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

third best in the country.  check mate. 

F9-B6-AB73-830-C-40-E8-81-D3-1-D8-AC8-CD

Last three folks that quoted me use the standard logic. If a person sucks at one thing than they must suck at everything and they have the evidence that cannot be disputed based on deep background information on the person that is not supported by visible results to the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

third best in the country.  check mate. 

F9-B6-AB73-830-C-40-E8-81-D3-1-D8-AC8-CD

I mean, I realize you're a troll and a generally worthless poster. But even for you, ignoring and editing out the majority of my post which references a flawed 247 system to post a screen grab of a 247 ranking, when my OP is directly above yours is a particularly eye rolling piece of shit. 

Also, checkmate is one word. Either you fucked up my adding a space or by omitting a comma or period. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Last three folks that quoted me use the standard logic. If a person sucks at one thing than they must suck at everything and they have the evidence that cannot be disputed based on deep background information on the person that is not supported by visible results to the rest of us.

I think what you meant to say is that you just don't know shit about the visible results, like the rest of us who follow recruiting closely. Greg Davis didn't make a recruiting trip unless it was 20 minutes from Austin city limits, and no further, but guess what the QB coach gets credit for all the QB recruits in a flawed system. But since you don't follow recruiting, you wouldn't know that Tim Beck got Jake Smith and Brayden Leibrock out of AZ due to his Arizona connections. Marcus Washington was from MO and I'm not sure Mehringer ever even made a trip to see him. Bru McCoy was a headcase, and I'm not sure who was the point on Whittington, I think it was Jason Washington as it is his recruiting area, but I can't remember for sure. 

But you know, I'm sorry that your only accepted reality of "The Truth" is when some lazy dipshits on a national website with zero nuance scribble together a fucking list for you to look at and you take that as fact over people who actually spend time following this shit. But you know, take the same public stance as Futureman. That ends well for everyone. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But you know, I'm sorry that your only accepted reality of "The Truth" is when some lazy dipshits on a national website with zero nuance scribble together a fucking list for you to look at and you take that as fact over people who actually spend time following this shit. But you know, take the same public stance as Futureman. That ends well for everyone. 

Actually, if everyone who wants to say something really, really dumb would do so whilst and at the same time as quoting Futureman, that would make it incredibly easy to know which posts to simply ignore. So, yeah, it would end well for everyone.

• Like 1

I'm late to the answer party, but Giles as a DL coach has proven to be positive. People have bitched quite a bit about his recruiting. I don't follow recruiting as much as others, but it seems Giles does a good job recruiting guys he can coach to play well, and to me, that matters.

As far as I am concerned, he was the only defensive coach who proved he belong to come back....every season.

42 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I realize you're a troll and a generally worthless poster. But even for you, ignoring and editing out the majority of my post which references a flawed 247 system to post a screen grab of a 247 ranking, when my OP is directly above yours is a particularly eye rolling piece of shit.

who has more credibility?  a nationally respected website employing analysts who do this shit for a living, or jacko on surly.com with a marvel character as his avatar?  sorry it hurts you that mehringer is a confirmed rainmaker. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

but it seems Giles does a good job recruiting guys he can coach to play well, and to me, that matters.

Actually, he's proven to do a good job coaching guys who other people recruited, but that works, too.

He is definitely not an ace recruiter, though. Not necessarily a net negative, but he doesn't move the needle.

47 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Your mistake was using the "standard logic" of assuming you had a symmetry of information with posters to whom you were condescending with your dumbass take. You didn't. You had a massive deficit of information by comparison, but because you live in a world where you assume you inherently know other people better than they know themselves, you marched yourself off the cliff in this discussion nonetheless.

You don't know a fucking thing about recruiting. 

Giles and Mehringer are fucking imbeciles when it comes to recruiting, for two very different reasons. Giles is a lazy fuck and let's Carrington and the rest of the staff do his recruiting for them. Mehringer is a prick who's never done shit in his life to justify his former station. He's a classic entitled whitey failing upwards and guys like Garrett Wilson, Elijah Higgins, Jaxon Smith-Ngiba, and myriad others saw right through him. 

• Like 1

I look forward to wrapping up the final hire and saying goodbye to this thread.

It’s not our staff, but I wonder how the Carolina Panther locker room will respond to Rhule’s college heavy coaching staff. Eh, he has a what, 7 year deal? I guess you’d better accept it. Johnson was able to make it work with Davis, Wannstedt, Campo, etc. back in ‘89, but pro guy Turner really helped them turn the corner.

21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I look forward to wrapping up the final hire and saying goodbye to this thread.

It’s not our staff, but I wonder how the Carolina Panther locker room will respond to Rhule’s college heavy coaching staff. Eh, he has a what, 7 year deal? I guess you’d better accept it. Johnson was able to make it work with Davis, Wannstedt, Campo, etc. back in ‘89, but pro guy Turner really helped them turn the corner.

- Johnson won the national championship

- his teams finished #2, #1 and #2 his last three years at Miami

- Michael Irvin, who was a star on his Miami teams, was already at Dallas

I'm sure those things helped too.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Your mistake was using the "standard logic" of assuming you had a symmetry of information with posters to whom you were condescending with your dumbass take. You didn't. You had a massive deficit of information by comparison, but because you live in a world where you assume you inherently know other people better than they know themselves, you marched yourself off the cliff in this discussion nonetheless.

Giles and Mehringer are fucking imbeciles when it comes to recruiting, for two very different reasons. Giles is a lazy fuck and let's Carrington and the rest of the staff do his recruiting for them. Mehringer is a prick who's never done shit in his life to justify his former station. He's a classic entitled whitey failing upwards and guys like Garrett Wilson, Elijah Higgins, Jaxon Smith-Ngiba, and myriad others saw right through him. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So as we are still waiting on a DLine coach, unless I missed something, and only two teams still working, I guess it's either..

Brendan Daly - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Daly_(American_football)

or

Chris Kiffin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kiffin

or

Kris Kocurek - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Kocurek

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Garrett Wilson? I mean come on man. How can you expect Mehringer to land a WR recruit from Austin who grew up a Longhorn fan? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

On the Boulware hire:

I've been happy with our RB production.

I've been happy with our KO return coverage and punt return coverage schemes and execution.

I've been happy with our FG unit's level of play.

I've been disappointed with our KO return blocking scheme and punt return blocking since 2013.  

We haven't exactly been blowing unicorns out of our butts on this either.

If you laid each side by side and had to pick, I'll bet you'd of stuck with what you had.