2020 Coaching Staff

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Garrett Wilson? I mean come on man. How can you expect Mehringer to land a WR recruit from Austin who grew up a Longhorn fan? 

Yeah, and I’m fucking pissed we missed on that Grant Delpit kid who spent his whole life in Texas and was practically born in burnt orange!!!*

*Disclaimer: None of what Newy or I said may actually be true, but we’ll bitch about it anyways, dagnabbit. 

• Like 1

Mehringer could recruit. I rather have Giles and I still do not buy he cannot recruit. He just requires a better closer behind him than others. Orlando was not it and Ash is reputed to be a good closer.

Mehringer was the absolute worst coach on the old staff. Worse than Orlando and worse than Warehime.
  • Like 3

Yeah, and I’m fucking pissed we missed on that Grant Delpit kid who spent his whole life in Texas and was practically born in burnt orange!!!*

*Disclaimer: None of what Newy or I said may actually be true, but we’ll bitch about it anyways, dagnabbit. 

I’m pissed we missed out on Joe Burrow who came to Texas once but rumor has it he has a picture of himself throwing up the Hook Em as a toddler.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Paging @mulletpelini to the Cajun Courtesy Phone...

After leading the Penguins to a surprise run to the FCS title game in 2016, Pelini’s teams have failed to rise above the fray in the competitive Missouri Valley Football Conference, going a combined 9-15 in league play with no playoff appearances in their past three campaigns. YSU went 6-6 in 2019.

I mean this mfer just cannot get past 9 wins!  I think he'd take it, he enjoyed his time there from what I remember.  I know the LSU fans loved him too.  Damn good pay as well as a shot at getting back to a HC position in 15-20 years

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I can’t believe I havent used that one yet. It should be used every third post here.

you got authorization from Aunt Ginny? 

buddy of mine and I say that every business situation can be summed up by a quote from A Few Good Men or Glengarry Glen Ross.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Buddy of mine and I say that every business situation can be summed up by a quote from A Few Good Men or Glengarry Glen Ross.

Let's test that theory:

I want you to know that I think the whole fucking bunch of you are certifiably insane. This code of honor of yours makes me want to beat the shit out of somebody.

Yep.

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, because this is true: if you haven't gotten a blow-job from a superior officer, well, you're just letting the best in life pass you by. 'Course, my problem is, I'm a colonel, so I guess I'll just have to keep taking cold showers until they elect some gal president.

Okay.

Col. Jessup: How the hell is your dad, Danny?

Danny: He passed away seven years ago, sir.

[beat]

Jessup: Don't I feel like the fucking asshole.

Danny: Not at all, sir.

Well fuck me twice and call me Elvis, it actually works.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I mean this mfer just cannot get past 9 wins!  I think he'd take it, he enjoyed his time there from what I remember.  I know the LSU fans loved him too.  Damn good pay as well as a shot at getting back to a HC position in 15-20 years

This is the kind of hire that would give me hope that the world has not gone fully on tilt after all. Ed Orgeron has made ace hires and won a national fucking title. I mean, no one saw that coming. It’s potential evidence that we’re all locked in The Matrix or something. LSU regressing back to lower standards would do everyone well. 

Pellini wouldn’t be a trash hire as a DC, but you can’t call him elite at this point, either. 

I think he's an great DC.  He's not a good recruiter or HC (much like Herman, he has a real hard time firing his buddies).  Louisiana is full of talent, so recruiting top level athletes is not hard there.

He's the only coach who held mighty 2009 Texas to less than 15 points and that's really saying something considering Nebraska might have had 110 yards of offense that day.  The defense was on the field all fucking day.  You can blame blocking or Colt or whatever you want, but somehow every other game except blowu and Alabama that Texas offense scored no less than 34 points.  Pelini had a plan and that defense executed it perfectly.  If not for Alex Henery kicking 60 yard fg's all fucking day, Nebraska wouldn't have scored a point.

TLDR

Great DC, excellent scheme developer of top level talent

Below average recruiter and HC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I think he's an great DC.  He's not a good recruiter or HC (much like Herman, he has a real hard time firing his buddies).  Louisiana is full of talent, so recruiting top level athletes is not hard there.

He's the only coach who held mighty 2009 Texas to less than 15 points and that's really saying something considering Nebraska might have had 110 yards of offense that day.  The defense was on the field all fucking day.  You can blame blocking or Colt or whatever you want, but somehow every other game except blowu and Alabama that Texas offense scored no less than 34 points.  Pelini had a plan and that defense executed it perfectly.  If not for Alex Henery kicking 60 yard fg's all fucking day, Nebraska wouldn't have scored a point.

TLDR

Great DC, excellent scheme developer of top level talent

Below average recruiter and HC

I was at the game. Texas was a paper tiger all year with the OL and Suh and company exposed it for what it was. It amazes me to this day that that Texas team made it to the title game. They had an amazing QB, some terrific skill players at the collegiate level, and a strong defense. The OL was a joke. 

Pellini is a supe'd up version of Mike Stoops at this point. He was once terrific, but he's faded on everyone's radar, and it isn't because of a conspiracy or oversight. He's not shown the ability to handle the modern spread/air raid/RPO approaches inundating CFB and I see no reason to believe that that will change at LSU. He's also a complete fucking asshole as a human and the players, even in Louisiana, get softer by the year. Orgeron is a player's coach. I'm excited to see how that all mixes together. 

• Like 2

Yep, that squad was really a crazy team to look back on. #3 in the country in "scoring offense" (#1 adjusted) but that was built entirely off of a stifling defense and excellent punt and kickoff return units. Seven non-offensive touchdowns. As well as a solid kicker.

Edited by Huckleberry

Any names thrown out for DL position since Okam is no longer a candidate once he took the Panthers job? An a la Gundy internet search did not result in any names that would not be the usual suspects. Checked the top 10 linemen by year from 2019 to 2016 and Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Michigan had  the most entries. The DL coach at Michigan has lots of experience but the guy is 70 years old. Utah showed up with two but one was a DE and the other a DT and they have different coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is the kind of hire that would give me hope that the world has not gone fully on tilt after all. Ed Orgeron has made ace hires and won a national fucking title. I mean, no one saw that coming. It’s potential evidence that we’re all locked in The Matrix or something. LSU regressing back to lower standards would do everyone well. 

Pellini wouldn’t be a trash hire as a DC, but you can’t call him elite at this point, either. 

In the interest of self-owning, I went back and looked at what I wrote back in May in the "way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion thread." Let's just say that none of it aged well, but especially the bolded part.

On offense, who knows what to expect from them. It's the longest running joke in college football that they are opening up the offense "this year."  Every off season you hear this and then lo and behold, they show the same predictable, run-first, vanilla grind it out garbage that they always have. I get that they hired the guy from the Saints to install RPOs, but they still have the same Greg Davis lite coordinator as last year. Their offense going against a pretty young Texas defense, I think, will determine the game. That, and any turnover or early season special teams weirdness.

There are two other key factors that lean towards Texas: (1)  LSU is a totally different team away from Baton Rouge. They played a grand total of 4 true road games last year in which they beat a middling Auburn by 1, beat an awful Arkansas by 7, lost to a decent Florida team by 8, and lost in that 7 OT bullshit against aggy; and (2) they are coached by a full-fledged idiot. I have no idea how you manage to go out of the frying pan of coaching imbeciles in Les Miles and into the fire of dumbassery that is Ed Orgeron, but they somehow did it. Congrats? I guess part of the deal is that we stole their guy in Herman and I know Orgeron recruits like a motherfucker, but holy shitballs they couldn't find ANYBODY more competent that him? If this game comes down to coaching, I like the guy who is not a raging dumbass.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Any names thrown out for DL position since Okam is no longer a candidate once he took the Panthers job? An a la Gundy internet search did not result in any names that would not be the usual suspects. Checked the top 10 linemen by year from 2019 to 2016 and Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Michigan had  the most entries. The DL coach at Michigan has lots of experience but the guy is 70 years old. Utah showed up with two but one was a DE and the other a DT and they have different coaches.

No. Much like for Boulware and Yurcich, the Vatican is locked up tight until the white smoke appears.

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In the interest of self-owning, I went back and looked at what I wrote back in May in the "way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion thread." Let's just say that none of it aged well, but especially the bolded part.

Listen, find me a non-LSU fan that believed that Joe Brady was going to do anything in the range of what he did and I'll show you either the smartest or luckiest CFB prognosticator alive. 

Beyond that, we're damned near all guilty of falling for the "Herman is smarter than Ed Orgeron" premise. I've never been a Herman fan and have always viewed the credit he got for being intelligent as overstated silliness, and still I was right there with you on the idea.  Grim. 

Maybe we should pay off immamac and bob to just delete that whole thread and act as if it didn't exist? Or maybe Todd Orlando can go fuck himself for going zero coverage with an all-out blitz on 3rd and 17. I don't know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, find me a non-LSU fan that believed that Joe Brady was going to do anything in the range of what he did and I'll show you either the smartest or luckiest CFB prognosticator alive. 

Beyond that, we're damned near all guilty of falling for the "Herman is smarter than Ed Orgeron" premise. I've never been a Herman fan and have always viewed the credit he got for being intelligent as overstated silliness, and still I was right there with you on the idea.  Grim. 

Maybe we should pay off immamac and bob to just delete that whole thread and act as if it didn't exist? Or maybe Todd Orlando can go fuck himself for going zero coverage with an all-out blitz on 3rd and 17. I don't know.

It shouldn’t be deleted less we forget.

and Orlando can definitely, definitely go fuck himself for that call.

• Like 1

If they hadn't converted 3rd and 17 - let's say they had lost - but if they had then won the rest of the reg season games, like they actually did, they would still have been in the SEC championship game, wouldn't they?  Their playoff seeding may have been different - may have had to play tOSU in the championship game - but it's not like they wouldn't have made the playoff ... 

Ok so looking through the anals of Rutgers coaching we have some good options out there.

Shane Burnham - https://ucfknights.com/staff-directory/shane-burnham/1664 - Currently at UCF, worked under Ash for 2 years at Rutgers, left in 2018

Corey Brown - DL coach until Ash was fired, I can't figure out if he has been hired on anywhere yet, so hell we wouldn't have to talk him out of leaving a current job.

Jim Panagos - Just hired under Shiano, so probably too hard to pry away. Here is his photo though.

Panagos_Jim_web.jpg?width=300

Going with the Herman buddies

A.J. Bum is unemployed

Larry Johnson is still at Ohio St. but yeah right

Mike Vrabel was with Herman at Ohio St., what is he up to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok so looking through the anals of Rutgers coaching we have some good options out there.

Shane Burnham - https://ucfknights.com/staff-directory/shane-burnham/1664 - Currently at UCF, worked under Ash for 2 years at Rutgers, left in 2018

Corey Brown - DL coach until Ash was fired, I can't figure out if he has been hired on anywhere yet, so hell we wouldn't have to talk him out of leaving a current job.

Jim Panagos - Just hired under Shiano, so probably too hard to pry away. Here is his photo though.

Panagos_Jim_web.jpg?width=300

Going with the Herman buddies

A.J. Bum is unemployed

Larry Johnson is still at Ohio St. but yeah right

Mike Vrabel was with Herman at Ohio St., what is he up to.

Mikes dream job is tosu.  Pass