2020 Coaching Staff

14 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

I was going to ask the board about this being a possibility last week. I didn’t think he had the teaching resume for it though. He should be a stud recruiter though. 

Same, I think he was a good hire for Baylor.  I don’t think we need to settle for someone with little DL coaching experience.  This is a spot where we are deep with talent.  No reason why we can’t bring in a coach that is an elite teacher and also a good recruiter.  I’m fine with McGuire but think we can do better.

7 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

OU 247 / Brandon Drumm / Drumm Beat: The latest on OU staff jobs and names I’m hearing

Spoiler

Drumm Beat: The latest on OU staff jobs and names I’m hearing

Brandon Drumm

There have been several questions on the board about OU and where they are headed with coaching job openings. I have mentioned one name that I have heard over and over, in regards to the running backs coach, and that is former NFL MVP Demarco Murray.

Murray is at Arizona and several sources called him a “young savant” and “fast-riser” in the coaching industry.

One thing I have yet to confirm is if the Sooners have offered or not. I don’t know that it has gotten that far, but I would say Murray is at the very least a candidate for OU running back coach position.

Another name that I mentioned I was hearing last week is Baylor’s assistant coach Joey McGuire. I have spoken with people around Baylor and our 247sports national guy, Chris Hummer, has been helping me do some leg work on this one.

What I can confirm is the fact OU and McGuire are in talks for a position that is not open to the public. Now, that would lead me to believe that Ruffin McNeill seems to be retiring or moving to a different off the field position, as we noted was likely on OUinsider VIP Board. As I also noted, I’m not ready to go there completely, but I will say be patient. Fans on our board wanting a change are likely to be happy soon enough.

Now, back to McGuire... What I have heard is that McGuire is “torn” with his options. McGuire has been rumored to have been offered some sort of position on defense and as a potential associate head coach. Both things we are working to pin down completely.

One Baylor source told me, “McGuire has recently turned down TCU and Texas. Baylor is a bit more worried about the potential Oklahoma offer because McGuire has such a respect for that program,” the source said. “McGuire reportedly turned down Texas while at Cedar Hill, too. Right now he is expected to stay at Baylor with his boy on the team. Hard to leave that.” 

I know McGuire is considered a top notch recruiter and coach. Baylor wants very badly to keep McGuire. Another source told me, “Most feel he will stick with Baylor and get a substantial raise.” If OU can somehow make a move and land McGuire it would be huge for Lincoln Riley staff and their recruiting in the state of Texas. 

We will continue to dig on this and work to confirm some things, but so far those are the two names I have heard for one position that is open and another that is looking to be open in the next few weeks or month.

Again, we will update if we hear more.

• Like 2

Uh oh ... the death knell for McGuire's chances.

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Latest on position coach search (Wednesday 8:30 am)

Spoiler

Latest on position coach search (Wednesday 8:30 am) ...

ChipBrown247

Wednesday 8:30 am - As I reported previously regarding Baylor's Joey McGuire being a candidate for Texas' DL coaching position, the longer the search goes on the more likely McGuire is to get serious consideration. McGuire is not the only candidate remaining, but he's a candidate.

McGuire just completed his third season at Baylor. After spending two seasons as tight ends coach from 2017-18, he was promoted to associate head coach and defensive ends coach for 2019.

Before joining Matt Rhule's staff at Baylor, McGuire had a legendary run as head coach at Cedar Hill (Texas) High School. He led Cedar Hill to three state championships in 14 seasons, including back-to-back titles in 2013 and 2014. He took Cedar Hill, a program that hadn't won a playoff game prior to his tenure, to 12 straight playoff appearances.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Uh oh ... the death knell for McGuire's chances.

Horns 247 / Chip Brown / Latest on position coach search (Wednesday 8:30 am)

Hide contents

Latest on position coach search (Wednesday 8:30 am) ...

ChipBrown247

Wednesday 8:30 am - As I reported previously regarding Baylor's Joey McGuire being a candidate for Texas' DL coaching position, the longer the search goes on the more likely McGuire is to get serious consideration. McGuire is not the only candidate remaining, but he's a candidate.

McGuire just completed his third season at Baylor. After spending two seasons as tight ends coach from 2017-18, he was promoted to associate head coach and defensive ends coach for 2019.

Before joining Matt Rhule's staff at Baylor, McGuire had a legendary run as head coach at Cedar Hill (Texas) High School. He led Cedar Hill to three state championships in 14 seasons, including back-to-back titles in 2013 and 2014. He took Cedar Hill, a program that hadn't won a playoff game prior to his tenure, to 12 straight playoff appearances.

Well.  Fuck.  

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

EO5QnRZXUAAHDzU?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Soooo much salt in that pathetic little Baylor mod's post. 

Honestly, the back-to-back pussy rubbing by OU and Baylor mods about McGuire turning Texas down makes me think Herman is interested and might actually land him.  And they're so freaked out about it, they're projecting their insecurities into their posts.

• Like 2

This is the only downside of not having the fucktards from BCS in our conference.  The rest of the also rans have been jockeying for position to become a rival to Texas.  Many of them think they are the main rival now too.  When aggy was in our conference we had a buffer between us and only had aggy’s stupidity to deal with because these teams hate aggy more than us.  With aggy out of the picture the rest of the also rans have gone full retard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Rapists are adding more value than aggy ever did - currently ranked #1 in basketball and made the Sugar Bowl. More success than Aggy has enjoyed in > 70 years. 

If only they weren't a national pariah whose fanbase couldn't even fill up half of the Sugar Bowl when they did make it.

They aren't tremendously additive even when they're good at sports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

If only they weren't a national pariah whose fanbase couldn't even fill up half of the Sugar Bowl when they did make it.

They aren't tremendously additive even when they're good at sports.

Listen, I think you're being unfair to the Baylor fanbase here for a lack of travel. It's probably pretty terrifying to have to head to an urban, unfamiliar location where they actually probably frown upon and punish raping the native residents. The idea of actually being punished for forcibly raping an unwilling victim has to scare you to death. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, I think you're being unfair to the Baylor fanbase here for a lack of travel. It's probably pretty terrifying to have to head to an urban, unfamiliar location where they actually probably frown upon and punish raping the native residents. The idea of actually being punished for forcibly raping an unwilling victim has to scare you to death. 

Uhhhh, you are giving New Orleans a lot of credit. I don’t think it’s warranted. 

Regarding McGuire turning Texas down while at Cedar Hill, lmfao. That dude was set to come here. “Oh, no no no, I really love less money at Cedar fucking Hill so much that I will take a job in Waco as soon as I am fucking offered after embarrassing myself publicly.” Right. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Rapists are adding more value than aggy ever did - currently ranked #1 in basketball and made the Sugar Bowl. More success than Aggy has enjoyed in > 70 years. 

to be fair, baylor is adding more value (as an athletic program) than Texas this fiscal year as well

let that shit sink in

played for Big 12 Title in football

ranked 1/2 in both men's and women's basketball

#1 Big 12 in volleyball

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, pacman said:

to be fair, baylor is adding more value (as an athletic program) than Texas this fiscal year as well

let that shit sink in

#1 Big 12 in volleyball

...and nobody gives a fuck

17 minutes ago, pacman said:

let that shit sink in

#1 Big 12 in volleyball

You have no idea what you’re talking about.  Iowa st could win ten straight big 12 titles and still wouldn’t be a pimple on deloss Dodd’s ass

Uhhhh, you are giving New Orleans a lot of credit. I don’t think it’s warranted. 
Regarding McGuire turning Texas down while at Cedar Hill, lmfao. That dude was set to come here. “Oh, no no no, I really love less money at Cedar fucking Hill so much that I will take a job in Waco as soon as I am fucking offered after embarrassing myself publicly.” Right. 

Take it for what it’s worth is that at the time we wanted him he was going through a divorce and the only time he could see his son was at school so that’s why he turned us down. He went to Baylor after his son graduated from what I remember.

18 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Take it for what it’s worth is that at the time we wanted him he was going through a divorce and the only time he could see his son was at school so that’s why he turned us down. He went to Baylor after his son graduated from what I remember.

Also, I think the a lot of the luster in hiring him got knocked off when he got his DWI.