2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, what was the misstep? I'm guessing keeping Shaka for another year? 

Or extending Herman shortly after ‘18 Sugar Bowl, while he still had two years in initial contract/ Thereby giving up major negotiation leverage to a man who stood up in his first interview and told everyone that he was finally at a place where he could retire...

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Signing Tom herman to an extension this last summer. 

I wonder what the general consensus on this is? After the Shaka extension it definitely doesn't look wise but I kind of get it. 

Coming off a major bowl win and challenging for the Big 12 was much more than Shaka ever accomplished. I dunno, there's also something behind the idea of showing they're committed to Herman to help recruiting. Would this be the final year of the contract if the extension didn't happen or 2 more years? 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wonder what the general consensus on this is? After the Shaka extension it definitely doesn't look wise but I kind of get it. 

Coming off a major bowl win and challenging for the Big 12 was much more than Shaka ever accomplished. I dunno, there's also something behind the idea of showing they're committed to Herman to help recruiting. 

If you poll this board, it's overwhelmingly negative. At the time, Herman still had 3 seasons in front of him on his original contract. There was literally zero reason to extend him at that point, as no one could have recruited against it at the time. And after a disappointing season, guess what, everyone is still pointing out that Herman isn't going to be here, AND he can't get it done on the trail. All it did was give Herman more leverage to make decisions. It's was stupid. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you poll this board, it's overwhelmingly negative. At the time, Herman still had 3 seasons in front of him on his original contract. There was literally zero reason to extend him at that point, as no one could have recruited against it at the time. And after a disappointing season, guess what, everyone is still pointing out that Herman isn't going to be here, AND he can't get it done on the trail. All it did was give Herman more leverage to make decisions. It's was stupid. 

That's fair and with three more years it probably didn't make much sense.

But I do think the extension would help combat some of those narratives from your bolded part.

"Hey don't believe the negative recruiting from other staffs I'm under contract for so much money they can't fire me." Now maybe that isn't a good thing if Herman sucks it up but I can see it helping recruiting. 

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

One thing everyone can agree on is that if an AD has demonstrated an ability to find great hires in any sport, that is a very positive indicator that they might do the same for the Important sports.

It demonstrates they know how to network and run a process to find the best possible candidates - Unlike the Korn Ferry, coaching search committee bullshit that happened a few years ago.

I'll deal with the occasional misstep from CDC, given all the positives he's demonstrated thus far, if we can avoid the colossal mistakes made by Patterson/Perrin.  It's hard to understate how far those two dudes collectively set this AD department back. 

Patterson is by far the worst hire I've seen at Texas and there have been some real headscratchers over the years.  But the bleeding didn't stop with Perrin.  The Shaka extension and complete clownshow of a hiring process for a new baseball coach being the two major examples.  The baseball hire was nothing more than him wanting to leave his mark on the AD department while getting played by a couple dozen agents.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Coming off a major bowl win and challenging for the Big 12 was much more than Shaka ever accomplished. I dunno, there's also something behind the idea of showing they're committed to Herman to help recruiting. Would this be the final year of the contract if the extension didn't happen or 2 more years? 

People always talk about extensions helping recruiting, but that’s just bullshit from coaches’ agents. Herman had 3 years left on his deal and had just won the sugar bowl. Those extra 2 years had no effect on his recruiting. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People always talk about extensions helping recruiting, but that’s just bullshit from coaches’ agents. Herman had 3 years left on his deal and had just won the sugar bowl. Those extra 2 years had no effect on his recruiting. 

Agreed and I'd argue it looked like a pretty weak extension when it was announced.  Definitely not the type of extension that would lead anyone to believe TH was a made man at Texas.

I believe it’s the timing of the extension with what was remaining on his contract.

Same with Shaka but his extension was done by the interim. That extension makes even less sense.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Thing is I'm not shitting on the Rhule hire. Based on the situation and the fact it's Baylor I would give it a solid B+ to A- type hire. The difference is the three Texas hires look like A+ hires if they keep producing like they have early in their tenure at Texas. 

It's like saying Quinn Snyder was a better hire than Steve Kerr because he took over a worse situation with the Jazz. While it's definitely true that Snyder has done a good job of turning around a franchise that was awful for 3 or 4 years prior to Snyder nobody would say it was a better hire than Kerr because hardware/results matter. 

My bad and I didn't even want this debate. My point wasn't that Rhule sucked or that it was a bad hire. 

Do you post while wearing a full clown suit and requisite make-up? Or do you get to it as soon as you’ve got the clown make-up painted on for the day?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Do you post while wearing a full clown suit and requisite make-up? Or do you get to it as soon as you’ve got the clown make-up painted on for the day?

Neither, but rumor has it you scare a lot of people around the recruiting industry so I'm guessing you have experience with clown suits. 

52 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I'll deal with the occasional misstep from CDC, given all the positives he's demonstrated thus far, if we can avoid the colossal mistakes made by Patterson/Perrin.  It's hard to understate how far those two dudes collectively set this AD department back. 

Patterson is by far the worst hire I've seen at Texas and there have been some real headscratchers over the years.  But the bleeding didn't stop with Perrin.  The Shaka extension and complete clownshow of a hiring process for a new baseball coach being the two major examples.  The baseball hire was nothing more than him wanting to leave his mark on the AD department while getting played by a couple dozen agents.  Ridiculous.

I agree with your post except for the sentiment of “I’ll deal with the occasional misstep from CDC” part, plus the points others above you are making about him. 

No one is perfect. I fuck up almost constantly and sometimes monumentally. I understand CDC being in a really difficult role, so mistakes will happen.

That considered, I’d like to see the missteps in track and field or rowing versus in football and basketball. I think the Herman extension was a fuck up and allowing Smart to return was a monumental fuck up. I’d like to see something positive and substantial in the revenue sports from CDC before I can assume anything but “we’ll see” with him. 

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Glad I could help. I don't know why you don't take a look in the mirror when you have the rep that you have outside of this board. You do realize people outside of this board consider you a "freak" right? 

Many of them also worship LotusHorn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Glad I could help. I don't know why you don't take a look in the mirror when you have the rep that you have outside of this board. You do realize people outside of this board consider you a "freak" right? 

lol.  I'm pretty sure CTJ will take that as a compliment.  As he should.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

“Rep”? With who? The $9.95-ers, their controlled environment, and their sycophantic audiences? Oh no! 

The funny thing about that though. I’m not on their sites. I’m not in their business and I don’t get paid to post. So, if I’m such a fucking know-nothing goober,  why the fuck am I even being discussed elsewhere? It seems like that would be beneath them and a boring waste of time.  Yet here we are, about every 3 months someone comes by here from one of those boards and they have to tell me those guys don’t like me and that I am a stupid meanie freak.

Of course I’m a freak. I hear I was recently doxxed on Horns247 by the legendary LotusHorn as Greg Davis. Also, I cannot be destroyed. I’m in hydraulics. 

DM me rather than cluttering the thread further if you’ve got more aspersions to cast because some people elsewhere don’t like me. Or, fuck it, keep preaching your “Rhule isn’t a great coach when you remove context” hawt takes. The board needs them. 

• Like 2

Shaka was extended because he had a better offer at that time, and Perrin made the wrong call. He was landing top talent and still had a good rep despite the lack of performance up until that point. Texas really needed a strong coach consultant to evaluate Shaka and he wouldn’t have gotten the extension. They didn’t bring in the experts they should have.

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I mean, I guess. I get he's taken the asshole role on this board but when you freak out people in real life it's just weird as fuck. 

The asshole role is owned as one by this board. That’s the thing. This board isn’t controlled by some moderator’s agenda and it’s the most honest forum in longhorn netdom. Bad takes die hard deaths and sensitive babies don’t last long. So no, I don’t have some claim to the “asshole role” and you may want to doublecheck where you are. 

10 minutes ago, BERT said:

Oh shit! Are you ok??

Dude, literally it happened. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Rep”? With who? The $9.95-ers, their controlled environment, and their sycophantic audiences? Oh no! 

The funny thing about that though. I’m not on their sites. I’m not in their business and I don’t get paid to post. So, if I’m such a fucking know-nothing goober,  why the fuck am I even being discussed elsewhere? It seems like that would be beneath them and a boring waste of time.  Yet here we are, about every 3 months someone comes by here from one of those boards and they have to tell me those guys don’t like me and that I am a stupid meanie freak.

Of course I’m a freak. I hear I was recently doxxed on Horns247 by the legendary LotusHorn as Greg Davis. Also, I cannot be destroyed. I’m in hydraulics. 

DM me rather than cluttering the thread further if you’ve got more aspersions to cast because some people elsewhere don’t like me. Or, fuck it, keep preaching your “Rhule isn’t a great coach when you remove context” hawt takes. The board needs them. 

I will as I'm sure you will keep preaching that Ehlinger sucks. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The asshole role is owned as one by this board. That’s the thing. This board isn’t controlled by some moderator’s agenda and it’s the most honest forum in longhorn netdom. Bad takes die hard deaths and sensitive babies don’t last long. So no, I don’t have some claim to the “asshole role” and you may want to doublecheck where you are. 

Only a psychopath like you would try to justify being an asshole. Funny thing is that's your rep in real life. You know this but I'm sure you will throw a bunch of big words together to justify your behavior. 

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, literally it happened. 

That's why i asked

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

Dude, what in the holy fuck is that?!?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:
3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Signing Tom herman to an extension this last summer. 

At the time it was signed, the consensus was fairly WTF?, split about 70/30, with the 30% saying we'd bitch about anything and it was no big deal or a good thing.

See here:

Now, I'd say it's 99/1 it was a stupid move.  

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

At the time it was signed, the consensus was fairly WTF?, split about 70/30, with the 30% saying we'd bitch about anything and it was no big deal or a good thing.

See here:

Now, I'd say it's 99/1 it was a stupid move.  

Yeah, with the 3 years left on the contract at the time of extension I would say it's a bad move. Especially coming off the Shaka extension.