2020 Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Not really hot on buying Nahlin’s take on the DT coach.  Hell, that idiot thinks we should have kept Mehringer.  Yuch.

That's not what he said. He was sarcastically using "we should keep Mehringer because LJH and DevDuv looked good" as a straw man for keeping Giles at DE coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's not what he said. He was sarcastically using "we should keep Mehringer because LJH and DevDuv looked good" as a straw man for keeping Giles at DE coach.

Need to read closer, but he was sooo negative I couldn’t give much credence to what he was saying.

6 hours ago, cochamps said:

Need to read closer, but he was sooo negative I couldn’t give much credence to what he was saying.

Yeah, that is a monumental misread on your part. Tex has it right. Nahlin is negative because he doesn’t like the hire, and he doesn’t think Herman is a championship coach because he shoots himself in the dick as often has he does something good. He used to be a Tom Herman believer. 

Nahlin is also the first guy to be hinting he knows who the DT coach is, and he’s being pretty unimpressed to a crowd of 9.95ers who want sunshine and reasons to click and pay his salary. I don’t think he’d go out on this limb alone and completely unnecessarily (since no one else is even attempting to give any info on the DT hire) unless he was pretty sure on the guy. 995ers rarely rush to give negative scoop. 

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think it’s pretty safe to say that if a new DT coach has been chosen then we know he’s not as good of a recruiter as Carrington.

to be fair, i think this pretty clearly is the case for most of the coaches on the staff (granted, they have additional roles beyond recruiting/relationships)

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think it’s pretty safe to say that if a new DT coach has been chosen then we know he’s not as good of a recruiter as Carrington.

The plan was always to let Carrington recruit on the road until the February dead period and then announce the last hire.  Carrington keeps up with all these recruits constantly but normally isn’t allowed to see them in person unless they visit campus, so there’s a ton of value in him traveling around for a few weeks and getting face time with a bunch of the guys he communicates with throughout the year. 

This has no bearing on the new DT coach’s recruiting abilities, but the odds are low we find a DT coach that’s a better recruiter than Carrington anyways. 

This has no bearing on the new DT coach’s recruiting abilities, but the odds are low we find a DT coach that’s a better recruiter than Carrington anyways. 

How much upside is there in announcing the coach at this point anyway?

Unless he was recruiting these guys at a previous spot, he has zero time to build any relationship. Much better to send Carrington on the road at this stage, regardless of the new hire.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

So what we can already gather is that Herman remains loyal to a Mack Brown friend and it cost is a good DE coach?

No.

Some 995er threw shit on the wall and before waiting to see if it sticks you ate it. Now you’re complaining that eating shit is no good but we already knew that.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, that is a monumental misread on your part. Tex has it right. Nahlin is negative because he doesn’t like the hire, and he doesn’t think Herman is a championship coach because he shoots himself in the dick as often has he does something good. He used to be a Tom Herman believer. 

Nahlin is also the first guy to be hinting he knows who the DT coach is, and he’s being pretty unimpressed to a crowd of 9.95ers who want sunshine and reasons to click and pay his salary. I don’t think he’d go out on this limb alone and completely unnecessarily (since no one else is even attempting to give any info on the DT hire) unless he was pretty sure on the guy. 995ers rarely rush to give negative scoop. 

He may be right, but at this point I’m giving the benefit of the doubt because I view most of the hires favorably.  Still withholding judgement about the CB / bagman hire, but otherwise view this as the staff Mensa should have hired in the first place.  But my expectations for DT aren’t that great because I haven’t heard many (any) great names thrown out.  

• Like 1

Yet aggy has only won one national championship in football: before scholarship restrictions, women on their campus, or integration.

Anyway you slice it, they have a losing record in all major sports, fewer trophies, and a losing home field record, and they went out with a loss.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:26 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not only THAT, but it’s aggy that was loading up on scholarship players that caused the swc to implement the limits. They were the ones abusing the system, but as per doctrine they claim Texas was the abuser. 

I really, really want this to be verifiable. Is it?  Does this call for the Randolph Duke signal?

On 1/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Not only that, the SWC had scholarship limits put in place in 1965.  We did pretty well once those were in place.

It was actually put in in either '57 or '58 due to Bear Bryant's practices and why Bear left.

There is a kernel of truth to what aggy is saying they just don't know how express it in proper terms.  There were no class size limits until the early 70s and DKR's class sizes would make Nick Saban smile.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I was hoping the entire point of the second DL coach was to hire someone with real recruiting chops. From Nahlin’s comments it sounds like a random guy from a smaller school that we have not even heard of.  Who are going to be the rainmakers on this staff is that is true? 

Will certainly be glad to see immediate improvements on the field next year if this person is more known for teaching  and developing. 

45 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was hoping the entire point of the second DL coach was to hire someone with real recruiting chops. From Nahlin’s comments it sounds like a random guy from a smaller school that we have not even heard of.  Who are going to be the rainmakers on this staff is that is true? 

Will certainly be glad to see immediate improvements on the field next year if this person is more known for teaching  and developing. 

I’d be pleased to hire a guy who is known for something positive. Anything. Hiring “unknown white guy from a flyover state that no one has ever heard of” would be the kind of hire where your only choice is to hope that somehow he is a magical teacher that simply hasn’t been recognized by almost anyone else in the industry. Certainly that isn’t the kind of hire Herman would make here, is it?

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

It was actually put in in either '57 or '58 due to Bear Bryant's practices and why Bear left.

There is a kernel of truth to what aggy is saying they just don't know how express it in proper terms.  There were no class size limits until the early 70s and DKR's class sizes would make Nick Saban smile.

Pretty sure aggy signed more than we did in the 60s and 70s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d be pleased to hire a guy who is known for something positive. Anything. Hiring “unknown white guy from a flyover state that no one has ever heard of” would be the kind of hire where your only choice is to hope that somehow he is a magical teacher that simply hasn’t been recognized by almost anyone else in the industry. Certainly that isn’t the kind of hire Herman would make here, is it?

If the guy is the DL coach at Wake Forest or Indiana or some shit what is even the point of keeping it so secret ? If the school is going to be unwilling or unable to match comp it’s strange for this to need to be kept such a secret. Not that it even matters. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If the guy is the DL coach at Wake Forest or Indiana or some shit what is even the point of keeping it so secret ? If the school is going to be unwilling or unable to match comp it’s strange for this to need to be kept such a secret. Not that it even matters. 

Perhaps he is a football whisperer.

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Could it be someone currently in the NFL who formerly coached in the region?

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just guessing but If they name the coach Carrington may have to stop recruiting.  I wouldn’t want that with only a few days to go. 

With the prior hints that have been dropped, my guess is for the Purdue guy.  Reggie Johnson.  They mentioned someone who previously coached in the region but that they were trying to find out whether the coach was successful on the recruiting trail during their time in the region. 

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.  It would be hard for any of the $9.95ers to not know whether he was a good or bad recruiter at ATM, given the reputation he came in with.

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mark-hagen/411

The Purdue guy, Reggie Johnson, coached at UTEP in 2001 and 2002.  It would make sense that they would have to ask around about whether he had any luck in the region or not.

9 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

With the prior hints that have been dropped, my guess is for the Purdue guy.  Reggie Johnson.  They mentioned someone who previously coached in the region but that they were trying to find out whether the coach was successful on the recruiting trail during their time in the region. 

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.  It would be hard for any of the $9.95ers to not know whether he was a good or bad recruiter at ATM, given the reputation he came in with.

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mark-hagen/411

The Purdue guy, Reggie Johnson, coached at UTEP in 2001 and 2002.  It would make sense that they would have to ask around about whether he had any luck in the region or not.

I’ll repeat it here: it’s fucking Hagen. Stop desperately speculating otherwise. Either dude would be a bad hire, btw. But it’s Hagen. Now you people can go back to your cognitive dissonance and pretending his rivals recruiter of the year title means he’s good on the trail. He and drew Mehringer can get together and swap stories about Carrington carrying their water in a few months. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ll repeat it here: it’s fucking Hagen. Stop desperately speculating otherwise. Either dude would be a bad hire, btw. But it’s Hagen. Now you people can go back to your cognitive dissonance and pretending his rivals recruiter of the year title means he’s good on the trail. He and drew Mehringer can get together and swap stories about Carrington carrying their water in a few months. 

You want me to go ahead and fire up the thread?