2020 Coaching Staff

12 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

With the prior hints that have been dropped, my guess is for the Purdue guy.  Reggie Johnson.  They mentioned someone who previously coached in the region but that they were trying to find out whether the coach was successful on the recruiting trail during their time in the region. 

With Hagen, he was apparently twice named by Rivals as recruiter of the year according to his Aggy bio.  It would be hard for any of the $9.95ers to not know whether he was a good or bad recruiter at ATM, given the reputation he came in with.

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mark-hagen/411

The Purdue guy, Reggie Johnson, coached at UTEP in 2001 and 2002.  It would make sense that they would have to ask around about whether he had any luck in the region or not.

He's not a great recruiter, no matter what his aggy bio says. I don't know what's on Rivals, but Hagen's not even in the top 25 on 247 for any of the years he was at aggy. I'm guessing he benefited from just being even sort of associated with the recruitment of guys like Isaiah Golden, Myles Garrett, and Daylon Mack. So, guys that were either always going there (Garrett) or guys who probably would have wound up elsewhere during most years.

aggy constantly bitched about what a bad recruiter he was - this coming from the same group of morons who convinced themselves that Jim Turner was elite. He made Terry Price look great by comparison. And the lack of development of guys like Mack during Hagen's years there is not exactly ideal (Golden is obviously a different case altogether).

In sum: this is a shit fucking hire.

2 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

He's not a great recruiter, no matter what his aggy bio says. I don't know what's on Rivals, but Hagen's not even in the top 25 on 247 for any of the years he was at aggy. I'm guessing he benefited from just being even sort of associated with the recruitment of guys like Isaiah Golden, Myles Garrett, and Daylon Mack. So, guys that were either always going there (Garrett) or guys who probably would have wound up elsewhere during most years.

aggy constantly bitched about what a bad recruiter he was - this coming from the same group of morons who convinced themselves that Jim Turner was elite. He made Terry Price look great by comparison. And the lack of development of guys like Mack during Hagen's years there is not exactly ideal (Golden is obviously a different case altogether).

In sum: this is a shit fucking hire.

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him. I have people on here regularly telling me that Giles is a great recruiter and I’ve just got an axe to grind. This also happened with Drew Mehringer. It happens with Tom Herman. If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies. 

So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him. I have people on here regularly telling me that Giles is a great recruiter and I’ve just got an axe to grind. This also happened with Drew Mehringer. It happens with Tom Herman. If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies. 

So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

Fuck, we have hired douche bag Gus Malzhan haven’t we? Alternating between 10 and 7 win seasons.

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are a shit ton of people here who not only have found a way to accept Giles as some sort of recruiting plus, but they tout him...     If he beats LSU, the majority of this board will be telling anyone advocating for maybe a wait and see approach before giving him a lifetime extension that they’re sarvanaash-level pussies.   So, consider that, and then get nice and cozy with the certainty that not only is Hagen going to be given the benefit of the doubt after he’s announced - he’s soon to be lauded. Anyone saying otherwise will be shouted at for a good long while until he’s shown the door or until the middle of the 2021 season when Herman’s 2020 season is long in the rear view mirror and we’re staring down the barrel of another 7-6 season. 

If hired by Texas, what's the reason or connection to hiring Hagen??

Who the hell is convincing Herman/Ash that Hagen would be a great hire??

Just now, LTtxfan said:

If hired by Texas, what's the reason or connection to hiring Hagen??

Who the hell is convincing Herman/Ash that Hagen would be a great hire??

Same agent maybe? Trace Armstrong is Herman’s. Worth checking, I guess. Otherwise, probably some executive search firm touted him or some shit. Working with Kornferry would be like catnip to a know-nothing greenhorn manager like Herman. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

paging @HenryJames

47 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Not trying to be a propaganda machine, and definitely not saying they're the most football minded folks, but the Indiana boards seem disappointed he's leaving. I'll just hope he's become a better coach (a thing that does happen) since his time at Aggy. 

Coaches always become better when they are no longer coaching aggys... 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Not trying to be a propaganda machine, and definitely not saying they're the most football minded folks, but the Indiana boards seem disappointed he's leaving. I'll just hope he's become a better coach (a thing that does happen) since his time at Aggy. 
It's almost as if the bar by which Indiana measures an exciting coaching hire and the bar by which Texas measures an exciting coaching hire are different.

Imagine that.

I don't give a shit if the guy can recruit or not. Tim Beck could recruit. I want to know if the guy can teach the position well enough to bring a positive improvement to our line. How was Indiana's DE performance since he took over? How did their run defense do? Did they get more sacks? How was their discipline vs mobile QBs? Coaching up players and putting them in the NFL will be its own recruiting pitch. If the guy can't do that, then being an ace recruiter isn't going to make any difference unless you want Giles to coach the entire line and this guy to just man the phones.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I don't give a shit if the guy can recruit or not. Tim Beck could recruit. I want to know if the guy can teach the position well enough to bring a positive improvement to our line. How was Indiana's DE performance since he took over? How did their run defense do? Did they get more sacks? How was their discipline vs mobile QBs? Coaching up players and putting them in the NFL will be its own recruiting pitch. If the guy can't do that, then being an ace recruiter isn't going to make any difference unless you want Giles to coach the entire line and this guy to just man the phones.

Honestly, if you just fucking google his name and read his Indiana bio, all this shit is discussed in it.  It's actually one of the most statistically elaborate coaching bios I've ever seen.

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I think Hagan is a good addition. Tough to trust Coach Herman as a leader and hiring a staff with the sample size.

4 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Mack was a freshmen when Hagen coached him. It was the only season Mack and Hagen were together at aggy. It was also Mack's bookend season with his senior year.

Edited by HtownHorn

i just dont get it. You are at THE University of Texas. You have a blank check to hire any coach you want. You put together a pretty decent offensive staff (even though it could have been better with a true ace at the WR coach position and upgrading Drayton to another ace recruiter. But still, Boulware and Yurcich and Coleman are all positive steps. Maybe not the best, but at least positive.

But then on the defensive side, you recycle Ash. Ok, bad HC but won a NC at OSU as co-DC. He employs a four man front and plays quarters behind it as his base D. Both of which are crucial imo to defending spread offenses. Keep Giles, eh. Bring in the SC LB coach, ok, now we're talking. Hir Valai, WTF? And then Hagan? WHO? What? FUck you. Will it be an improvement over last year's D? Sure, assuming we dont bring a blitzer from 15 yards deep on the hash from the wide side of the field.

But why? Why not go get the best? The best corners coach, the best LB coach, the best DL coach. The best RB and WR coach. WHY WOULDNT YOU DO THAT? I have no fucking clue but our guy just bet $5MM per year on a cast of spares and retreads.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i just dont get it. You are at THE University of Texas. You have a blank check to hire any coach you want. You put together a pretty decent offensive staff (even though it could have been better with a true ace at the WR coach position and upgrading Drayton to another ace recruiter. But still, Boulware and Yurcich and Coleman are all positive steps. Maybe not the best, but at least positive.

But then on the defensive side, you recycle Ash. Ok, bad HC but won a NC at OSU as co-DC. He employs a four man front and plays quarters behind it as his base D. Both of which are crucial imo to defending spread offenses. Keep Giles, eh. Bring in the SC LB coach, ok, now we're talking. Hir Valai, WTF? And then Hagan? WHO? What? FUck you. Will it be an improvement over last year's D? Sure, assuming we dont bring a blitzer from 15 yards deep on the hash from the wide side of the field.

But why? Why not go get the best? The best corners coach, the best LB coach, the best DL coach. The best RB and WR coach. WHY WOULDNT YOU DO THAT? I have no fucking clue but our guy just bet $5MM per year on a cast of spares and retreads.

These should have been the questions asked when he was hired.  It's not hard to understand why a successful coach would be hesitant to jump ship to work under someone in Herman's current position.

24 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Ash put together one of the worst coaching staffs ever at Rutgers. He even hired Mehringer as his first OC, then fired him and his current boss then decided to re-hire and retain Mehringer at UT for three years despite mountains of evidence he was demonstrably awful at his job. 

Those are the two guys making decisions on hiring an almost entirely new defensive staff, and you’re surprised it’s not good?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ash put together one of the worst coaching staffs ever at Rutgers. He even hired Mehringer as his first OC, then fired him and his current boss then decided to re-hire and retain Mehringer at UT for three years despite mountains of evidence he was demonstrably awful at his job. 

Those are the two guys making decisions on hiring an almost entirely new defensive staff, and you’re surprised it’s not good?

suicide_cat.gif?w=470&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

You should give a shit, Giles is a proven and good teacher of the DLine position but a weak recruiter. If we are bringing in a second guy like that, then what is the fucking point? We may as well spend that coaching head somewhere else. Maybe we can move Carrington to Fullbacks coach. 

Oh yay, a lower tier rust belt basketball school is upset.

I'm not sure why a coach at a big name school that is currently winning and either going to, or just missing the playoff, would trade making a shit ton of money for the foreseeable future and maybe advancing where he is, for making a shit ton 1/2 of money for potentially one season, and then being in the market for a new job. I assume the spectacular hires being clamored for would come from Bama or Clemson, etc. I just don't see Herman having a product those kind of guys are going to bolt for. Those guys line up at your door when your coaches get offered coordinator or HC jobs at other schools and have to be replaced. That aint us right now.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

not surprised. just disappointed and confused. i thought CDC would impose some guardrails to keep Herman from going full retard.

53 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm blown away people still think like this

Im blown away people don't think like this. this is the way it should be. and any head coach worthy of being the HC at Texas should be able to walk into that room of boosters and talk them into giving him what he needs to hire the coaches needed to win multiple NCs. Herman is apparently not that guy. so its a mute point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Im blown away people don't think like this. this is the way it should be. and any head coach worthy of being the HC at Texas should be able to walk into that room of boosters and talk them into giving him what he needs to hire the coaches needed to win multiple NCs. Herman is apparently not that guy. so its a mute point. 

*moot

again, i'm just completely blown away you think people make a career decision in a vacuum based solely around short-term money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

I assume the spectacular hires being clamored for would come from Bama or Clemson, etc. I just don't see Herman having a product those kind of guys are going to bolt for.

This is a really weak ass strawman, man. Sure we probably aren't going to be stealing assistants from Bama and Clemson right now, but does that mean we have to settle for poaching from the likes of Indiana and Rutgers?

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

*moot

again, i'm just completely blown away you think people make a career decision in a vacuum based solely around short-term money.

first of all, you missed the joke re mute/moot. but thanks for the correction guy.

second, Texas is never a bad career move for anyone much less someone at the top of their field in coaching the football. this is a stupid argument. No one ever said man i sure wish i didnt go coach at Texas for that season or two, make a shit load of money, build recruiting ties in one of the largest recruiting hotbeds, and generally increase my stock as a position coach / coordinator. and if done right, you can help recruit other top coaches to come with you so you can assure success for the move. but again, dumb argument. and its MOOT because Herman is a dumbass who would rather be the smartest guy in the room than hire the best coaches.

I dunno. If I was offered a promotion the same job at a bigger company but only guaranteed 1 year of work because there’s a good chance my boss will be fired, would I move my family? It better be a lot of fucking money. 

Coaches on the hot seat have a limited appeal. I’m not getting bent out of shape over the DL coach

Edited by Pig Bellmont

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

first of all, you missed the joke re mute/moot. but thanks for the correction guy.

second, Texas is never a bad career move for anyone much less someone at the top of their field in coaching the football. this is a stupid argument. No one ever said man i sure wish i didnt go coach at Texas for that season or two, make a shit load of money, build recruiting ties in one of the largest recruiting hotbeds, and generally increase my stock as a position coach / coordinator. and if done right, you can help recruit other top coaches to come with you so you can assure success for the move. but again, dumb argument. and its MOOT because Herman is a dumbass who would rather be the smartest guy in the room than hire the best coaches.

ah i see, you seem to think the coaches that are on board were his first choices. that may be the case in a couple of instances, but i suspect he got lots of 'thanks but no thanks' through this process.