2020 Coaching Staff

38 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

not surprised. just disappointed and confused. i thought CDC would impose some guardrails to keep Herman from going full retard.

Del Conte can't build guardrails for the fuck ups that happen internally. Namely, he can't make herman less of a prick. He can't make Herman pick up the phone and call elite coaches, or conduct a great search. And at this point, after his extension, he might have (hopefully has) realized it's in his best interest to let that fucking mook hang himself. 

35 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Im blown away people don't think like this. this is the way it should be. and any head coach worthy of being the HC at Texas should be able to walk into that room of boosters and talk them into giving him what he needs to hire the coaches needed to win multiple NCs. Herman is apparently not that guy. so its a mute point. 

The boosters hate Herman. But I don't think they're Herman's problem. They want us to win. The real problem is Herman doesn't talk to anyone because Herman knows best. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I dunno. If I was offered a promotion the same job at a bigger company but only guaranteed 1 year of work because there’s a good chance my boss will be fired, would I move my family? It better be a lot of fucking money. 

Coaches on the hot seat have a limited appeal. I’m not getting bent out of shape over the DL coach

Look, SydneyCarton seems off the rails about this hire, but I think virtually everyone else is more or less just dismissive at this point.

Herman buttfucked getting it right when showed up at Texas and a lot of us knew that. It’s been kind of a nauseating, tedious, bizarrely bland tumbledown for everyone since. I’ve never seen a guy evaporate support at every level this quickly like this guy did after showing up on campus.

Now we’re all kind of stuck in the “sigh, I hope it turns out okay but it sure looks like we’re fucked with this guy and the ceiling is random 10 win seasons and hopefully they’ll just get fully tired of his shit by year 7 or something because I can’t root for losing to Kansas again” phase. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

not surprised. just disappointed and confused. i thought CDC would impose some guardrails to keep Herman from going full retard.

well, its not like the collective athletic department and boosters learned their lesson.

we nut all over ourselves to get mack, strong, and herman, then proceeded to let them both make very underwhelming hires of their buddies. we all knew they weren't good enough to handle the duties at texas but we let them do it once, and then twice, and now a third time.

hell, we even let herman hire casey horny for fucks sake and appear to be allowing herman to hire a second round of buddies. why? because we were so honored to have herman (or any of the others) as our new head coach? shouldn't it be the other way around? shouldn't they kowtow to texas, not texas to them?

or, maybe the better question is why we keep hiring coaches at texas that aren't smart enough to surround themselves with the best.

it's just bizarre, and seems to happen across all sports

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

who nutted on themselves when we got Charlie Strong???

His agent?  Aggy fans, Sooner fans, Baylor fans, TCU fans.... in hind sight Louisville fans....

Forgot Mrs Blue's husband, tired of Charlie allegedly railing his wife.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

first of all, you missed the joke re mute/moot. but thanks for the correction guy.

second, Texas is never a bad career move for anyone much less someone at the top of their field in coaching the football. this is a stupid argument. No one ever said man i sure wish i didnt go coach at Texas for that season or two, make a shit load of money, build recruiting ties in one of the largest recruiting hotbeds, and generally increase my stock as a position coach / coordinator. and if done right, you can help recruit other top coaches to come with you so you can assure success for the move. but again, dumb argument. and its MOOT because Herman is a dumbass who would rather be the smartest guy in the room than hire the best coaches.

So a position coach at Clemson, tOSU, Bama, should come to Texas for more money to bet their family's situation on Tom Herman's future? Have you got kids and a wife? Own a house? I'm not saying the guys Herman got are the best that were available. I have no training or experience to evaluate that. But right now, given the thread Herman is hanging by, and as much as you may want to deny it, the current impression people have of Texas, I can see why the very cream of the established cream does not see Texas as a great career move.

• Like 1

Look, SydneyCarton seems off the rails about this hire, but I think virtually everyone else is more or less just dismissive at this point.
Herman buttfucked getting it right when showed up at Texas and a lot of us knew that. It’s been kind of a nauseating, tedious, bizarrely bland tumbledown for everyone since. I’ve never seen a guy evaporate support at every level this quickly like this guy did after showing up on campus.
Now we’re all kind of stuck in the “sigh, I hope it turns out okay but it sure looks like we’re fucked with this guy and the ceiling is random 10 win seasons and hopefully they’ll just get fully tired of his shit by year 7 or something because I can’t root for losing to Kansas again” phase. 

Is Herman really as bad as you keep indicating, or is it possible your network is overly critical of him?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Im blown away people don't think like this. this is the way it should be. and any head coach worthy of being the HC at Texas should be able to walk into that room of boosters and talk them into giving him what he needs to hire the coaches needed to win multiple NCs. Herman is apparently not that guy. so its a mute point. 

*moot.  Valid criticism at the beginning of his tenure here, but not now.  As said numerous times on this page, why would a top-notch assistant at a solid program leave that for what may be a year on a sinking ship?

I'm even of the mind that being an ego-driven profession, the potential for disaster with Herman is not a complete deterrent to all coaches, as many of them believe they are just what the program needs to turn the corner, which allows us to get up-and-comers.  But I don't think many are going to move laterally or down to come to Texas in the current situation.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

*moot.  Valid criticism at the beginning of his tenure here, but not now.  As said numerous times on this page, why would a top-notch assistant at a solid program leave that for what may be a year on a sinking ship?

Because top notch assistants never have problems finding another gig with great money after the next season. Has Tim Brewster ever struggled to find a job? 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

why would a top-notch assistant at a solid program leave that for what may be a year on a sinking ship?

Coaches do this every year. And fan boards always ask this question. Apparently, being given a high 6-figure salary in Austin, Texas to coach for one of the Blue Blood programs still means something in that profession.

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because top notch assistants never have problems finding another gig with great money after the next season. Has Tim Brewster ever struggled to find a job? 

Is Brewster really a top-notch assistant?  Or just a good recruiter?  I can't think of a top-notch assistant that moved laterally or downwardly to a program with a coach on the hotseat.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is Brewster really a top-notch assistant?  Or just a good recruiter?  I can't think of a top-notch assistant that moved laterally or downwardly to a program with a coach on the hotseat.

Yes. He’s an elite recruiter and his time in the nfl was turning a late round draft pick who had barely played the position into a hall of fame TE. 

As for the hot seat, maybe, but at the same time how many situations exist in college football where  lateral move could come with a 1.5 or 2x salary increase? It’s situationally going to be pretty rare. But does anyone think Brewster would have trouble finding employment, ever? Corey Raymond? Why do elite coordinators take jobs at shit schools with little chance of success? These guys shouldn’t be worried about employment. 

8 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Given that Herman is in a “win or get fired” season, 

I swear to god I wish someone could point to 1 iota of this being true. I know some of you “wish” this but has anybody in power or money even hinted this? 

None of us on this shittastic site have 1 fucking clue about this. We haven’t been great but goddamn we are a shit load better than Charlie. 

If he goes 5-7 next year a decent chance he is gone. 
Goes 7-5,  I seriously doubt CDC or money men will do a fucking thing.  

• Like 1

I swear to god I wish someone could point to 1 iota of this being true. I know some of you “wish” this but has anybody in power or money even hinted this? 

None of us on this shittastic site have 1 fucking clue about this. We haven’t been great but goddamn we are a shit load better than Charlie. 

If he goes 5-7 next year a decent chance he is gone. 

Goes 7-5,  I seriously doubt CDC or money men will do a fucking thing.  

Money men wanted him gone this year. He literally hung onto the job by the hair of CDC’s tit.

• Like 1

Yes, really. Stop being a dumbass. On this thread you have essentially said the following:

"Who here really knows inside information? Nobody does. If you know inside information I'm going to need to see a link to believe it."

That would, by definition, make it not inside information. So yes, like I said, stop being a dumbass.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm even of the mind that being an ego-driven profession, the potential for disaster with Herman is not a complete deterrent to all coaches, as many of them believe they are just what the program needs to turn the corner, which allows us to get up-and-comers.  But I don't think many are going to move laterally or down to come to Texas in the current situation.

goddammit... it was a joke. lol... i know when to use moot vs mute supposably.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Really? Please show any place other than Surly where the money men are up in arms. Jesus some of you probably believe we didn’t land on the moon and 10000 people can keep a secret. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, really. Stop being a dumbass. On this thread you have essentially said the following:

"Who here really knows inside information? Nobody does. If you know inside information I'm going to need to see a link to believe it."

That would, by definition, make it not inside information. So yes, like I said, stop being a dumbass.

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I was pumped, I am a Gator fan and watched his defense kick a lot of ass in those Urban Meyer years.

I was happy the charade was over more than anything.  But as a long time Gator supporter, I was also pretty optimistic.

I have zero optimism for Texas Football anymore...  10 years of Fat Mack / Charlie / Mensa has killed it all

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jinx said:

I was happy the charade was over more than anything.  But as a long time Gator supporter, I was also pretty optimistic.

I have zero optimism for Texas Football anymore...  10 years of Fat Mack / Charlie / Mensa has killed it all

I wish I could get there. Every season I find myself saying SHOW ME A LOSS!111

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I said "with great money." And I also said "top notch assistants." If you're referring to almost anyone hired by Tom Herman, they certainly don't qualify. 

It is utterly futile to converse with anyone willing to take a defensive posture regarding Tom Herman's hiring practices. They've inherently proven themselves to be willing to dismiss all data and to hold their need for having the head coach at UT on a pedestal as a higher priority. Why engage when they've provided you with this information? 

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It is utterly futile to converse with anyone willing to take a defensive posture regarding Tom Herman's hiring practices. They've inherently proven themselves to be willing to dismiss all data and to hold their need for having the head coach at UT on a pedestal as a higher priority. Why engage when they've provided you with this information? 

For the record, I am not defending Herman's hiring practices.  I do think that his universe of potential hires is at least somewhat circumscribed at this point, and that is entirely his fault.  Even so, what he did get is still underwhelming, on defense in particular.

Edited by TwiceHorn

When TH was all shiny and new, when he was the up and coming HC who we beat out LSU for, he could have struck while the iron was hot and probably hired a group of bad ass coaches. Mack was sent packing when to outsiders, he still seemed to be having some success, Strong had to fly to Tulsa to woo Giblets, and TH appears to have been told to clean house or not let the door hit him on the ass on the way out. Even with this recent history, he still managed to hire a decent, if not star studded, group of coaches going forward. I'm not giving him any attaboys, because he and the program could have been so much farther ahead if he hadn't brought along his UH crew. He had some HC experience, but not much, and not at this level, so he still had a lot to learn. I hate that he's learning on the $5mil/yr job, but there you go. These guys he's hired need to appreciate the opportunity they've been given. A few really good seasons (conference champ level at minimum) and their career situation changes dramatically. I'm guardedly optimistic; I don't see an Orlando type block head in this group. At the end of the day, I believe TH got the best that were willing to take the job.

23 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I don't see an Orlando type block head in this group. 

The rest of your post, while I don't see it the same way, seems like a reasonable, thoughtful take. The part I've quoted, however, cannot stand. First of all, Tom Herman is a fucking block head. I challenge any of you to watch him talk, remove your affinity for UT and the inherent biases that come with that for all of us, and just observe his points and style in presenting them. He's a fucking lunkhead. If you ever get the chance to listen to him speak in person, it's even more obvious. If you ever actually have a conversation with him, it will shock you how honestly moronic he seems.

Beyond that, images of Chris Ash evoke the exact term "meat head". That and caveman. The memes that have spun up from Chris Ash have been very funny and they're just getting started. Wait until Lincoln Riley buttfucks our 2020 defense to the tune of 63 points*. The lone highlight we'll have in the aftermath will be the mockery of these idiots and what they look like. 

*I don't expect that in 2020 and think Texas will be a CFP team, but go with it for the spirit of the post.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For the record, I am not defending Herman's hiring practices.  I do think that his universe of potential hires is at least somewhat circumscribed at this point, and that is entirely his fault.  Even so, what he did get is still underwhelming, on defense in particular.

I wasn't considering your takes when I wrote the prior post. I'm talking about the folks who are actively rationalizing their way into feeling great about the staff and arguing in support of the Hermanataur because ... because.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn't considering your takes when I wrote the prior post. I'm talking about the folks who are actively rationalizing their way into feeling great about the staff and arguing in support of the Hermanataur because ... because.

I dig.  I do think that the ability of Texas to wallet-whip Gruden!!111!!! or Saban!!!11!!! or whomever the high-profile coaching figure o the day is is often overstated, even when we're writing on a blank slate.  Much more so when we're teetering on the brink.

Shit. There are people pointing to athletic department coaching bios as evidence that certain hires are credible and point towards future success on some sites. 

These are grown men who don’t realize what kind of hand picked stats and accomplishments are put in those things to make the coach in question sound accomplished. 

It makes you want to find one of those 25 cent suicide booths from the future. 

• Like 1