2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

*I don't expect that in 2020 and think Texas will be a CFP team, but go with it for the spirit of the post.

Wait, are my reading skills off or is there another meaning for CFP other than college football playoff?  Because I damn sure don't think we will sniff the CFP next year and you are one of the last posters I would expect to think that.

Just now, jinx said:

Wait, are my reading skills off or is there another meaning for CFP other than college football playoff?  Because I damn sure don't think we will sniff the CFP next year and you are one of the last posters I would expect to think that.

Why would I be one of the last? Because I think Herman is an imbecile? I think that can be overcome, and I generally think most coaches are buffoons. 

If it is because I'm often acerbic on the boards or whatever, I wouldn't confuse that with pessimism. I'm an optimist, unapologetically. 

As to 2020, Texas brings back one of the only seasoned senior starting QBs in P5. They lose less than damn near any other school as far as starters go. The starters they are replacing are, for once, probably going to be replaced with equal or better talent. That talent, and much of the depth across the board, now has meaningful game experience as well. The schedule sets up well. Baton Rouge will be tough, but no one has to replace more than LSU, on both the staff and the depth chart. I still don't believe Orgeron is a wizard and I think Texas should win that game. 

OU brings back a lot but lost their 2 best offensive players and their 3 best defensive players. Rattler may be great, we don't know, but the Cotton Bowl will be his crucible. 

Oklahoma State brings back a ton, but so what. You have to believe that Texas can beat them next year with more talent and experience. 

Everybody else in the conference loses a bunch and/or has substantially less talent and experience than Texas.

Better coaching at Texas, as we expect to see, should also manifest in a vastly improved 2020 record.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why would I be one of the last? Because I think Herman is an imbecile? I think that can be overcome, and I generally think most coaches are buffoons. 

If it is because I'm often acerbic on the boards or whatever, I wouldn't confuse that with pessimism. I'm an optimist, unapologetically. 

As to 2020, Texas brings back one of the only seasoned senior starting QBs in P5. They lose less than damn near any other school as far as starters go. The starters they are replacing are, for once, probably going to be replaced with equal or better talent. That talent, and much of the depth across the board, now has meaningful game experience as well. The schedule sets up well. Baton Rouge will be tough, but no one has to replace more than LSU, on both the staff and the depth chart. I still don't believe Orgeron is a wizard and I think Texas should win that game. 

OU brings back a lot but lost their 2 best offensive players and their 3 best defensive players. Rattler may be great, we don't know, but the Cotton Bowl will be his crucible. 

Oklahoma State brings back a ton, but so what. You have to believe that Texas can beat them next year with more talent and experience. 

Everybody else in the conference loses a bunch and/or has substantially less talent and experience than Texas.

Better coaching at Texas, as we expect to see, should also manifest in a vastly improved 2020 record.

Welp, that's it, we're fucked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The rest of your post, while I don't see it the same way, seems like a reasonable, thoughtful take. The part I've quoted, however, cannot stand. First of all, Tom Herman is a fucking block head. I challenge any of you to watch him talk, remove your affinity for UT and the inherent biases that come with that for all of us, and just observe his points and style in presenting them. He's a fucking lunkhead. If you ever get the chance to listen to him speak in person, it's even more obvious. If you ever actually have a conversation with him, it will shock you how honestly moronic he seems.

Beyond that, images of Chris Ash evoke the exact term "meat head". That and caveman. The memes that have spun up from Chris Ash have been very funny and they're just getting started. Wait until Lincoln Riley buttfucks our 2020 defense to the tune of 63 points*. The lone highlight we'll have in the aftermath will be the mockery of these idiots and what they look like. 

*I don't expect that in 2020 and think Texas will be a CFP team, but go with it for the spirit of the post.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwZbfkMqG0oacQM-B6evU

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to 2020, Texas brings back one of the only seasoned senior starting QBs in P5. They lose less than damn near any other school as far as starters go. The starters they are replacing are, for once, probably going to be replaced with equal or better talent. That talent, and much of the depth across the board, now has meaningful game experience as well. The schedule sets up well. Baton Rouge will be tough, but no one has to replace more than LSU, on both the staff and the depth chart. I still don't believe Orgeron is a wizard and I think Texas should win that game

DecentCircularHadrosaurus-size_restricte

the great thing about the season we had is that our back ups got a shit ton of playing time, and many of those were started multiple games through the season.  our DL is fucking stacked...3 starters return plus a shit ton of great back ups.  our LB corp took a hit but we'll have 2 starters back in our new scheme, and our DBs return 3 starters plus some damn good ones with experience.  we'll have Chase and Marshall at receiver, RB will be by committee with TDP, Curry and Emery finally up to speed after having his eye surgery...he was literally legally blind in his right eye last season...and 3 return on the OL.  

Brennan won't be Burrow, but no one in the nation will be Burrow given his record setting season.  Brennan is damn good though, and i'm perfectly comfortable with him.

we could drop some 25% production and STILL be one of the top 3 teams in the land.  we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS83OVUzUnZDag&episode=MmIyZWRlYzEtYWQ2ZS00OTQ5LThkZWEtNzVhNmQyNzY3Mjg1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwin0tLqgrjnAhVIeawKHSz4CWcQieUEegQIBRAE&ep=6

and until you prove you can do it, after your recent history, i'll remain sceptical of any claim of future success against LSU.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

the great thing about the season we had is that our back ups got a shit ton of playing time, and many of those were started multiple games through the season.  our DL is fucking stacked...3 starters return plus a shit ton of great back ups.  our LB corp took a hit but we'll have 2 starters back in our new scheme, and our DBs return 3 starters plus some damn good ones with experience.  we'll have Chase and Marshall at receiver, RB will be by committee with TDP, Curry and Emery finally up to speed after having his eye surgery...he was literally legally blind in his right eye last season...and 3 return on the OL.  

Brennan won't be Burrow, but no one in the nation will be Burrow given his record setting season.  Brennan is damn good though, and i'm perfectly comfortable with him.

we could drop some 25% production and STILL be one of the top 3 teams in the land.  we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5zaW1wbGVjYXN0LmNvbS83OVUzUnZDag&episode=MmIyZWRlYzEtYWQ2ZS00OTQ5LThkZWEtNzVhNmQyNzY3Mjg1&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwin0tLqgrjnAhVIeawKHSz4CWcQieUEegQIBRAE&ep=6

and until you prove you can do it, after your recent history, i'll remain sceptical of any claim of future success against LSU.

Honestly, who fucking cares? You’re a fucking blowhard. The architect and the QB from that “paradigm shifting” offense are gone to the NFL. Will LSU be fine? Maybe. There’s plenty of talent there. Will you lose to Texas at home? Maybe, there’s enough returning talent on Texas’ end to do so. I get that your team just won the title and it’s fun to be a prick, but acting like that season is going to be replicated is moronic and you know it. 

8 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

You may damn well be right, but your hubris reminds me of:

When he was hired by Notre Dame in 2004, Weis was famously quoted as saying that his teams would have “a decided schematic advantage,” and believed that his NFL-style offensive strategy was superior to the schemes being run by most major college football programs.

Welp...you saved me from writing something similar in the 2020 offseason thread so have some rep thrown your way...

6 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

....we could drop some 25% production and STILL be one of the top 3 teams in the land.  we've got a system in place, and we're sticking to it....and confidence in what we do.  what we did last year was paradigm shifting in terms of how offense is played at this level and if you don't believe me i'll let Aranda explain what it was like to experience it first hand and just how different it is to everything else out there...start at the 13:00 min. mark.

I get the feeling you really believe this.  The spiral down for you guys over the next three years will be a fucking pleasure to watch.  Hell, i think Miss St. will give you all you can handle next year.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Oh cool, go start a thread about it you blowhard twat.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Oh for fucks sake.  

For those curious - a 25% drop in production (which Kyrie appears to think a worst case scenario) would mean a 4000 yard season for Brennan.   But they've got Brady's playbook so that's all that matters, right?  That fossil (grizzled veteran/prop) that sat next to Brady and drooled into the paper cup while Brady called plays is surely capable of teaching the offense to the next OC, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron have national championships under their belt. That's not to say that Tom Herman will, just that quite literally, any coach can. The factors going into winning a title are so numerous that pinning them strictly on having a coach the caliber of Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, or Vince Lombardi is ridiculously over simplistic.

I feel highly optimistic about the 2020 season, even as lingering doubts about Herman and nagging fears about some of his new hires make me bearish on the long term future of the program.

• Like 1

Agreed, football is truly not only who we are but what others bring to the table also.  It is a game of injuries, experience, matchups, schedule and momentum.  Assuming no injuries we should have all the rest.  

Only Clemson and Bama return a fair amount of experienced players.  LSU, Ohio St., Georgia and Ou lose significant numbers and/or impact personnel including QB's and or coaches.    

Tx and probably Florida should replace two of those last four and should have the schedule to be in the top 6. 

Us returning the most experienced team in the conference our assumed improvements in our offensive and defensive production should only further add to give us an edge over the rest of the conference.  

I don't see a reason we can't beat LSU and Ou and should have enough momentum by the end of the season to "sniff" the playoff.  Then again....

tenor.gif?itemid=14403788

Edited by RollLeft

45 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

in no way did i say or imply it would be replicated.

but it's fucking foolish to say that we'll be an easy out due to attrition.

we reload...not rebuild.

No one said it would be an easy out. In fact, the post that spawned all of this LITERALLY said "Baton Rouge will be tough." So stop acting like a fucking cunt, or as Ishtar said, a fucking prick. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one said it would be an easy out. In fact, the post that spawned all of this LITERALLY said "Baton Rouge will be tough." So stop acting like a fucking cunt, or as Ishtar said, a fucking prick. 

how the fuck was i acting like a "fucking prick?"  

whew...y'all are salty AF. 

bunch of wounded fuckers on here (now THAT'S acting like a prick)

7 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Failing to accurately read a post, then using your illiteracy or your indifference to what was posted to go on a long winded rant about LSU being unstoppable while being in a thread who's topic is the Texas Longhorn 2020 Coaching Staff on a Texas Longhorn board is acting like a fucking prick. If you're going to derail a thread, at least try not to do it under completely false premises, fuckhead. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Two years from now, when Orgeron is 8-4 and heading into his next make or break year, I wont say I told you so. Fuck that, yes I will. Your fan base is too stupid to realize you caught lightning in a bottle. You think that a gravel chewing simpleton is going to lead you to Saban level glory. Life comes at you fast. 

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that there has never been a season better set up for an experienced team with an experienced and talented starting QB to make a run at getting into the playoffs for the first time than in 2020.

Man I hope you are right, but that sounds just like the Big 12 in 2019 and we shat the bed spectacularly on that

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Shit. There are people pointing to athletic department coaching bios as evidence that certain hires are credible and point towards future success on some sites. 

These are grown men who don’t realize what kind of hand picked stats and accomplishments are put in those things to make the coach in question sound accomplished. 

It makes you want to find one of those 25 cent suicide booths from the future. 

Image result for suicide booth gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

we reload...not rebuild.

Reading this makes me think that you think 72 - 74 was in 1939.

I'll give you this. Your school, state and conference certainly go about their operations much differently than we do. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn't considering your takes when I wrote the prior post. I'm talking about the folks who are actively rationalizing their way into feeling great about the staff and arguing in support of the Hermanataur because ... because.

He was talking about me.  I have no idea where he came to the conclusion that I was defending herman.  IIRC, I was the only one that openly opposed his hiring in the first place.  That was not well accepted.  I've never liked the peckerhead, and wanted a coaching search.  But recruiting, who else would you hire, and "he beat ou at Houston" was the song of the day.  

Anyway, I just asking as to why our former coaches seemed to have no problems finding new jobs.  We seem to not be all that happy about some of our new coaching hires.  Somebody posted that UT was paying 95% of their salary. OK...that makes sense I guess.  I wonder if we would hire a recently fired coach that failed miserably if we got a 95% discount.  However, I was in no way showing support for herman or any of the former coaches.  

Neg away...…………….

30 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

He was talking about me.  I have no idea where he came to the conclusion that I was defending herman.  IIRC, I was the only one that openly opposed his hiring in the first place.  That was not well accepted.  I've never liked the peckerhead, and wanted a coaching search.  But recruiting, who else would you hire, and "he beat ou at Houston" was the song of the day.  

Anyway, I just asking as to why our former coaches seemed to have no problems finding new jobs.  We seem to not be all that happy about some of our new coaching hires.  Somebody posted that UT was paying 95% of their salary. OK...that makes sense I guess.  I wonder if we would hire a recently fired coach that failed miserably if we got a 95% discount.  However, I was in no way showing support for herman or any of the former coaches.  

Neg away...…………….

Pretty sure the only coach we let go who had any remaining years on his contract was TO.  The rest were under one year deals.  Also wouldn't characterize it as these coaches having no problems finding jobs.  All of them eventually did, but only TO and Naivar ended up with anything close to the same level.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Pretty sure the only coach we let go who had any remaining years on his contract was TO.  The rest were under one year deals.  Also wouldn't characterize it as these coaches having no problems finding jobs.  All of them eventually did, but only TO and Naivar ended up with anything close to the same level.  

Correct on TO as the only dismissed assistant that had a payout remaining (contract thru 2020).

Approximately $1.7 million... 

21 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

This. 

Most found immediate jobs at lesser programs. It is not necessarily a sign of competence. 

Mike Gundy aside, most coaches are not adventuresome or even original thinkers and will turn to colleagues they know personally or tangentially to fill vacancies regardless of their recent track records. Just tracking our recent coordinator fires dating back to Mack is illuminating  in regard to this. Some landed job immediately at smaller schools like Diaz at LaTech, and others received a well deserved time out in QC roles, but almost all resurfaced at name schools and have managed to unsurprisingly suck again once they were entrusted with larger roles against competent coaches and competition. 

TO was hired by a coach in a far more genius situation at USC where he’ll make a one year stop until that entire staff is relieved. He certainly didn’t step into an equal or better situation even though USC is a blue blood. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

19 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

This train of thought is exactly why O will be on the hot seat in 4 years

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Without question, all the uncertainty hurt their recruiting. I do think we ended up better off than if we had taken Harrell.