2020 Coaching Staff

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

*quietly* IU people thought he did a good job and were sorry he left. 

I know football is just an appetizer for basketball for them, but maybe he's improved a bit?

His three DL’s at IU were ranked as follows: 1, 73, 86. 

Even allowing for spare talent that’s a pretty familiar trend line for UT fans, and not one you’d want to see for the Asst HC for defense and DL coach. 

Also, and this is a common refrain from many, but needing to list who’d be better is a nonsensical cop out. There’s probably 20-30 DT coaches available for hire in any given year outside of the superstars. Nothing about this guy’s resume says best of the rest, hidden gem or diamond in the rough. 

He does have some special teams acumen so I guess that’s a plus if Herman actually bothers to  use that facet of the game. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

His three DL’s at IU were ranked as follows: 1, 73, 86. 

Even allowing for spare talent that’s a pretty familiar trend line for UT fans, and not one you’d want to see for the Asst HC for defense and DL coach. 

Also, and this is a common refrain from many, but needing to list who’d be better is a nonsensical cop out. There’s probably 20-30 DT coaches available for hire in any given year outside of the superstars. Nothing about this guy’s resume says best of the rest, hidden gem or diamond in the rough. 

He does have some special teams acumen so I guess that’s a plus if Herman actually bothers to  use that facet of the game. 

Still would like to know the connection of this new DL coach to the current staff...

Who the Hell studies this new DL guy's resume and really believes he's a great coaching candidate for the University of Texas Staff???

giphy.gif

To add a bit more color to our recent DL coach's resume.  He's alleged to be a good recruiter, and has certainly pulled in a name or two in his 27 years.  He's also not been amongst the top 50 recruiters in his own conference any time in nearly the last decade.  Credit to a solid poster for digging that up on TOS.

51 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

To add a bit more color to our recent DL coach's resume.  He's alleged to be a good recruiter, and has certainly pulled in a name or two in his 27 years.  He's also not been amongst the top 50 recruiters in his own conference any time in nearly the last decade.  Credit to a solid poster for digging that up on TOS.

I don't think anyone on the recruiting threads has been thrilled with his on-the-trail bonafides.

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that zone between not good enough to win the conference and not shitty enough to realize he can't consistently win the conference seems like about the worst place we can be, so i'm operating under the assumption that's exactly where we'll find ourselves.

No. Charlie Strong under Steve Patterson is the worst place we can be, and it’s not close, and stop running your fucking pussy. Our roster is the healthiest it’s been in literally 10 years. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Insert linebackers

Yeah, it’s still not even close to the best roster ever had in 10 years. Herman is infuriating because of his propensity to shoot himself and his fan base in the dick. Mainly due to his arrogance. But there are things he does as a HC that are elite or close to it. Talent evaluation is one.

Yeah, it’s still not even close to the best roster ever had in 10 years. Herman is infuriating because of his propensity to shoot himself and his fan base in the dick. Mainly due to his arrogance. But there are things he does as a HC that are elite or close to it. Talent evaluation is one.

I’m actually very interested to see how CDC will conduct the hiring process, factors for, factors against, and who he hires next off-season.

I’m not saying I want us to do bad just to fire Herman but anyone with a brain knows this is a throw away season unless a miracle happens. It will be interesting to see the Vegas odds for win total.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. Charlie Strong under Steve Patterson is the worst place we can be, and it’s not close, and stop running your fucking pussy. Our roster is the healthiest it’s been in literally 10 years. 

You didn’t understand my point as it pertains to Tom Herman’s tenure at Texas.

51 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You didn’t understand my point as it pertains to Tom Herman’s tenure at Texas.

I absolutely understood your point. You think this is the worst case for Tom and Texas. But you stated worst case possible. We’re still way better off than we were 3 years ago, and Herman did that. Do I think he’s the guy, probably not. But he has no booster support and if he fails to deliver we’ll be way better off for the next guy. Not just in players. In aspects of weaponizing a big time program and resources. Top notch facilities, which he played a part in securing. Herman is still a chump,  but the sky is far from falling.  Worst case is it’s not rising fast enough to suit our frayed patience. 

• Like 9

On field talent right? Because his coaching talent Evals haven’t been good.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

’m not saying I want us to do bad just to fire Herman but anyone with a brain knows this is a throw away season unless a miracle happens. It will be interesting to see the Vegas odds for win total.

That’s a great exaggeration. I think there’s a 95+% chance that Tom Herman is still our coach this time next year. 

• Like 4

That’s a great exaggeration. I think there’s a 95+% chance that Tom Herman is still our coach this time next year. 

So you think we will win the big 12 and compete for NY6 bowl?

He will be 4 years in without a big 12 title if he doesn’t win it this year going on 5. So in your opinion is a head coach going into his 5th season without a conference title good enough at our school? Also in this age of salary and etc is that acceptable results?

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

He will be 4 years in without a big 12 title if he doesn’t win it this year going on 5. So in your opinion is a head coach going into his 5th season without a conference title good enough at our school?

I said I think there’s a 95+% chance that Herman is here this time next year. You’re substituting what you think the standard should be for what it  is.

I’ve seen nothing at all to indicate Herman is going to be held to a standard of winning a conference title this year. I don’t believe it’s the case at all. 

• Like 4

I said I think there’s a 95+% chance that Herman is here this time next year. You’re substituting what you think the standard should be for what it  is.
I’ve seen nothing at all to indicate Herman is going to be held to a standard of winning a conference title this year. I don’t believe it’s the case at all. 

Is another 8-5 or 9-4 season worth keeping him?

15 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

He will be 4 years in without a big 12 title if he doesn’t win it this year going on 5. So in your opinion is a head coach going into his 5th season without a conference title good enough at our school? Also in this age of salary and etc is that acceptable results?

No, that would not be good enough for me.

However, at our school Mack Brown won his first conference title 8 years into his tenure. He did win the division in years 2 and 4, so he had that going for him.

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Not sure what to think about the Hagen hire, but he might not be a bad recruiter. They've signed 14 DL in the last 3 cycles and he was the primary recruiter for most of them. A lot of mid 3 stars but many had multiple offers from comparable schools.

Malik gave him a thumbs up.  Believe he recruited him while at A&M, so there's that.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Still would like to know the connection of this new DL coach to the current staff...

Who the Hell studies this new DL guy's resume and really believes he's a great coaching candidate for the University of Texas Staff???

giphy.gif

Siap...  Hagen's connection to this Texas Staff is both Ash and Boulware.

• “Mark came really highly recommended, is a coach Chris Ash has been very familiar with and impressed by, and is someone we all had great visits with during the interview process,” Herman said. 
  • "Besides having coached against Ash, Hagen has a connection to the current staff because he worked with tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jay Boulware at Northern Illinois more than 20 year ago."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/2/7/21128397/mark-hagen-named-texas-longhorns-defensive-line-coach

Edited by LTtxfan

56 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Is another 8-5 or 9-4 season worth keeping him?

What you or I think on the subject is irrelevant, but I don’t believe he would be fired unless we lose at least 5 games. And I don’t think that will happen this year. 

This is like the people demanding Charlie Strong be fired after 2 years- it was never going to happen whether it should have or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

What you or I think on the subject is irrelevant, but I don’t believe he would be fired unless we lose at least 5 games. And I don’t think that will happen this year. 

This is like the people demanding Charlie Strong be fired after 2 years- it was never going to happen whether it should have or not. 

Herman needs to be near or in the playoffs in 2020. If he is, it buys him 2021. If he goes 7-6 in 2021, I don’t think anyone can say with certainty that he’d be back for 2022. I also don’t follow or agree with your certainty about him being back for 2021 with something like a 9 win season. In reality, that take is as wrong as you are certain. If the guy doesn’t win the conference in 2020, he’s going to have to have a damned good reason for it to keep his job. 

• Like 1

I don’t think we’ll lose 5 games this year, so I don’t think that part of my post comes into play, and I just don’t see the stomach there for the chaos that would follow from CDC to fire a 4 loss coach. That’s why I left 5% room for the possibility. My guess is we lose 3 or fewer games in 2020.

We will be firing our basketball coach and possibly our baseball coach after this season.

We are going to build a new basketball arena. 

We’ve just fired and hired a bunch of football coaches. 

The last 60 years of Texas Football show that we tolerate a lot more mediocrity than we claim we do. 

The standard isn’t high enough, but it is what it is. Only CDC and the big money guys are going to change it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The table is set for us next year and everyone knows it. If we cannot win the conference this year, no one will believe Herman will be the guy. 

If Texas makes B12 Championship Game with a 10-2 regular season or better, Herman probably returns for 2021 season regardless of winning/losing the B12 Championship Game...

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

If Texas makes B12 Championship Game with a 10-2 regular season or better, Herman probably returns for 2021 season regardless of winning/losing the B12 Championship Game...

Probably. But we also know that 2021 is going to be a down year since we have to replace so many key players and our 2019 class was decimated by attrition. In your scenario if we go 8-4 or worse in 2021, I bet he’s toast. 

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Probably. But we also know that 2021 is going to be a down year since we have to replace so many key players and our 2019 class was decimated by attrition. In your scenario if we go 8-4 or worse in 2021, I bet he’s toast. 

On the flip side our main OOC game for 2021 is Arkansas so we should be 3-0 headed into conference play.

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:
5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I absolutely understood your point. You think this is the worst case for Tom and Texas. But you stated worst case possible. We’re still way better off than we were 3 years ago, and Herman did that. Do I think he’s the guy, probably not. But he has no booster support and if he fails to deliver we’ll be way better off for the next guy. Not just in players. In aspects of weaponizing a big time program and resources. Top notch facilities, which he played a part in securing. Herman is still a chump,  but the sky is far from falling.  Worst case is it’s not rising fast enough to suit our frayed patience. 

Yes, spending the next however many years with him doing just enough to keep his job while not winning the conference and competing for the playoffs is much worse for the program than him shitting the bed and getting fired next year. The latter accelerates the possibility of having a coach that can win the conference (and to your point, should be able to do so immediately with the talent in place).

it sounds like we agree.

Jeff Howe: Get to know the new Texas coaches on Tom Herman's revamped staff

The process Texas head coach Tom Herman underwent in December to overhaul the coaching staff is complete. The program announced the hiring of Mark Hagen as associate head coach for defense and defensive line coach on Friday, officially putting a close to a shuffling of coaches that started Dec. 1.

“After taking time, looking back and evaluating the season in its totality, I am very disappointed in our performance in a number of areas in 2019,” Herman said in a statement when he fired two coaches and reassigned another two days at the conclusion of the regular season. “7-5 will never be our standard at Texas and I take full responsibility for any and all of our shortcomings and know we need to do a better job coaching across the board. With that said, I do believe the future is very bright, [and] have decided to make some changes to our staff as we head into bowl preparation and look to finish strong in the final weeks of fall recruiting.”

Texas finished the 2020 recruiting cycle with the nation’s No. 9-ranked class according to 247Sports and won the Alamo Bowl with a resounding 38-10 thumping of Utah. A few of the new hires — specifically defensive coordinator Chris Ash, cornerbacks coach Jay Valai and wide receivers coach Andre Coleman — made a difference on the recruiting trail or on the field to help wrap up an 8-5 campaign.

Along with Hagen, Ash, Valai and Coleman, Herman hired Mike Yurcich away from Ohio State to run and revamp the Texas power spread offense, Jay Boulware to be the program’s new special teams coordinator and tight ends coach and hired Coleman Hutzler as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. With the staff complete, Horns247 takes a closer look at the coaches who will join Stan Drayton, Oscar Giles and Herb Hand on the Forty Acres.

Mike Yurcich

Title: Offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Dec. 29

Hired to replace: Tim Beck (stripped of offensive coordinator title Dec. 1; contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Ohio State passing game coordinator, quarterbacks coach

Other notable experience: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator (2013-18)

Prominent players coached: Justin Fields (Ohio State), Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State), James Washington (Oklahoma State), Tyreek Hill (Oklahoma State)

Noteworthy: In Yurcich's six seasons at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys averaged 38 points and 478.3 yards per game and posted a 52-24 record (four 10-win seasons).

Herman on Yurcich: “I talked with a number of coaches as we tried to find the best fit at offensive coordinator, and Mike is a guy who really stood out. I’ve admired his work for many years, he’s very highly regarded and respected in the coaching world, and in talking at length with him, I was extremely impressed with what he’ll bring to our staff. He knows our conference well from his time at Oklahoma State and, including the run he had with Ohio State this year, has played a big part in some of the nation’s best offenses for the past several years. All of that said, what impresses me most about him is how he works with and develops players and the creative ways he utilizes all of his weapons on offense.”

Yurcich on Texas: “When looking at offensive coordinator positions, Texas is a no-brainer career move. I’m excited to work with coach Herman and the entire staff. Having recruited the state of Texas, and having coordinated in the Big 12, I’m excited and proud to represent UT Football as its next offensive coordinator.”

Andre Coleman

Title: Wide receivers coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 13

Hired to replace: Corby Meekins (reassigned to an administrative role Dec. 1), Drew Mehringer (fired Dec. 1)

Job in 2019: Texas analyst (regular season), interim wide receivers coach (Alamo Bowl)

Other notable experience: Kansas State offensive coordinator (2018), K-State passing game coordinator (2016-2017), K-State wide receivers coach (2013-2018)

Prominent players coached: Dalton Risner (K-State), Byron Pringle (K-State), Tyler Lockett (K-State)

Noteworthy: Coleman set eight then-Super Bowl records playing Super Bowl XXIX with the San Diego Chargers, including a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

Herman on Coleman: “We are really fortunate and excited to be adding Andre to our full-time coaching staff. He’s a veteran coach who is highly respected, but working with him every day last year gave us a chance to personally see his passion for the game and love for the players. When he stepped in to coach our wide receivers, recruit and work more closely with our coaching staff and players for the Alamo Bowl, we all came away extremely impressed. Andre covers all the bases – he has a great offensive mind, is a tremendous and proven developer of players, outstanding recruiter and just an awesome person and addition to our staff.”

Coleman on Texas: “I’m excited to have the opportunity to stay on staff and coach at The University of Texas. “It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to coach at [a] school like Texas that’s one of the perennial powers in college sports with such a great tradition and get a chance to recruit the top talent across the nation. I’m looking forward to helping these guys both on and off the field and helping our program be something our fans are proud of. I’ve learned so much from Coach Herman over the past year. He’s one of the best football minds I’ve ever been around, and he’s one of the best motivators I’ve ever been around. I’m excited for the opportunity to continue to grow and learn from him at Texas.”

Jay Boulware

Title: Associate head coach for special teams and tight ends coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 18

Hired to replace: Derek Warehime (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Oklahoma special teams coordinator and running backs coach

Other notable experience: Oklahoma special teams coordinator (2013-2019), Oklahoma running backs coach (2015-2019), Oklahoma tight ends coach (2013-2014), Auburn special teams coordinator and tight ends coach (2009-2012), Iowa State special teams coordinator and running backs coach (2007-2008)

Prominent players coached: Austin Seibert (Oklahoma), Samaje Perine (Oklahoma), Joe Mixon (Oklahoma), Trey Millard (Oklahoma), Aaron Ripkowski (Oklahoma), Philip Lutzenkirchen (Auburn)

Noteworthy: Boulware redshirted at Texas in 1991 and saw action on the offensive line in 1992 before being forced to retire in 1993 (diagnosed with a cardiac arrhythmia), which led to a two-year stint as a student assistant coach (1994, 1995) and one season as a graduate assistant coach (1996) for the Longhorns.

Herman on Boulware: “Jay is a proven, accomplished coach and special teams coordinator who as a former Longhorn and Texas native, has deep roots in our state. He also has extensive experience coaching in the Big 12, having spent a decade in our league, and has worked with teams that have competed at the highest level, including a National Championship team at Auburn in 2010. Jay’s a coach I’ve been aware of for a long time, is very well-respected in coaching circles and certainly knows the recruiting landscape in our state very well. We all were really impressed in our visits with him, know he’ll do a great job building relationships and developing our players, and we’re extremely excited to be bringing him back home to Texas.”

Boulware on Texas: “I’ve been watching this program from afar since the day I left there in the spring of 1997, and I’ve always had it in my mind that I would like to come back someday and help Texas win a National Championship. I love everything about The University of Texas, and I’m looking forward to working closely with Coach Herman, with our special teams, and obviously coaching our tight ends to put together a product on the field that’s the best in the country. I couldn’t be more excited, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Chris Ash

Title: Defensive coordinator

Hiring announced by Texas: Dec. 17

Hired to replace: Todd Orlando (fired Dec. 1), Craig Naivar (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Rutgers head coach (fired Sept. 29)

Other notable experience: Ohio State defensive coordinator (2014-2015), Arkansas defensive coordinator (2013), Wisconsin defensive coordinator (2011-2012), Wisconsin defensive backs coach (2010), Iowa State defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator (2009)

Prominent players coached: Joey Bosa (Ohio State), Doran Grant (Ohio State), Adolphus Washington (Ohio State), Vonn Bell (Ohio State), Darron Lee (Ohio State), Eli Apple (Ohio State), Chris Borland (Wisconsin)

Noteworthy: Ash coached Jay Valai at Wisconsin (2010) and coached with Herman at two different stops (Iowa State in 2009, Ohio State in 2014).

Herman on Ash: "After taking a hard look at a lot of options at defensive coordinator, Chris was the one that continued to stand out. We couldn't be more excited [about] what he'll add to our staff. I've witnessed firsthand Chris' skills as a game planner, his attention to detail and ability to develop players. He gets the best out of every one of them and has a history of building physical, fundamentally sound, winning defenses. He has done it at the highest level, is a tremendous all-around coach and an awesome person. I know he'll do great things, and our players, coaches and staff will really enjoy working with him. We look forward to his arrival in Austin, getting to work, and him and his family joining our Longhorn family."

Ash on Texas: "Number one, I'm humbled and extremely honored to be able to coach football at The University of Texas. I want to thank Tom Herman and Chris Del Conte for this opportunity and for their professionalism throughout the process. My family and I are very excited to move to Austin and become part of Longhorn Nation, and I'm ready to lead and serve our student-athletes.

"I have a great deal of respect for Coach Herman as a coach and a person. If I didn't believe in him, I wouldn't be making this move. I have complete confidence and faith and trust in his ability to lead and to coach, and I'm excited to be a part of this program."

Jay Valai

Title: Cornerbacks coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 13

Hired to replace: Jason Washington (contract not renewed)

Job in 2019: Rutgers cornerbacks coach

Other notable experience: Kansas City Chiefs defensive quality control and assistant defensive backs coach (2018), Georgia defensive quality control coach (2016-2017)

Prominent players coached: J.R. Reed (Georgia)

Noteworthy: A four-year letter winner at Wisconsin, Valai opened a sports-performance training facility where he trained professional and amateur athletes from 2011-2016.

Herman on Valai: “Jay is an outstanding young coach who I believe checks all the boxes when it comes to his ability to coach on the field as well as relate to, connect with and develop players. As a Texas native, he has a passion for our state, knows it well and will also be a tremendous recruiter for us. Chris Ash coached him as a player, hired him as a coach and thinks the world of him. I really enjoyed my time visiting with Jay and was really impressed by what he’ll bring to our program. We’re thrilled to add him to our staff.”

Valai on Texas: “First and foremost, this is the blessing of a lifetime. Growing up as a kid in Texas and watching Aaron Ross and Michael Huff and all these guys play, and being part of the culture that is Texas high school football, which is second to none, I’m just elated. I’m beyond proud and blessed to be able to represent all of that every minute of every day and to be joining the staff at Texas. To work with a guy like Chris Ash, who is one of the best defensive minds in football and is a tremendous human being, and with the greatness of Coach Herman who is pushing this program to the next level, it’s something I am truly blessed to be able to do.”

Coleman Hutzler

Title: Co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach

Job in 2019: South Carolina special teams coordinator and linebackers coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Jan. 14

Hired to replace: Todd Orlando (fired Dec. 1)

Other notable experience: South Carolina special teams coordinator and linebackers coach (2016-2019), Boston College special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2015), Florida special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2014), New Mexico special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach (2012-2013)

Prominent players coached: Deebo Samuel (South Carolina), Dante Fowler Jr. (Florida)

Noteworthy: In his time as a collegiate coach, Hutzler has worked for Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Bob Davie and Will Muschamp.

Herman on Hutzler: "Coleman is a coach who came highly recommended by several people I have a great deal of respect for in our business. When we had a chance to sit down and talk with him, he certainly lived up to everything we had heard. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience, is high energy and has accomplished a great deal while spending much of his career coaching in big-time environments in the SEC. He'll do a terrific job developing our linebackers and helping us grow on defense. We're excited to get him on board and to get him around our team and out on the road recruiting for us."

Hutzler on Texas: "I'm so excited to join the program and work with Coach Herman and Coach Ash and the entire staff. Obviously the brand and program that is Texas Football is second to none, and I'm ready to get started. I have a ton of respect for Coach Herman and all the great things he's done. He's done a tremendous job everywhere he's been, we know a lot of the same people and just to have this opportunity to come and work for him is exciting.

"I've recruited in the state of Texas before both at Boston College and New Mexico, but I'm excited to get to the city of Austin. I've only been through as a visitor, but I've heard nothing but great things from a lot of different people, and I'm excited to get our family there and moved in and get started."

Mark Hagen

Title: Associate head coach for defense and defensive line coach

Job in 2019: Indiana co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach

Hiring announced by Texas: Feb. 7

Hired to replace: Vacant (Hagen will coach the defensive line alongside Oscar Giles)

Other notable experience: Indiana co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach (2018-2019), Indiana assistant defensive coordinator and defensive line coach (2016-2017), Texas A&M defensive tackles coach (2015), Texas A&M linebackers coach (2013-2014), Indiana special teams coordinator and defensive tackles coach (2011-2012), Purdue linebackers coach (2006-2007, 2009-2010), Purdue defensive tackles coach (2005-2005, 2008)

Prominent players coached: Robert McCray III (Indiana), Kawann Short (Purdue), Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue), Anthony Spencer (Purdue)

Herman on Hagen: “Mark came really highly recommended, is a coach Chris Ash has been very familiar with and impressed by, and is someone we all had great visits with during the interview process. He loves football and coaching, really connected with everyone and has a tremendous reputation as a coach, recruiter and as an outstanding person. He has strong ties to our state, as well, and when you look at the places he’s been, they’ve had great success developing defensive linemen and have had really productive units. We’re very excited about what he’ll bring to our staff, thrilled to have him onboard and looking forward to getting him to Austin.”

Hagen on Texas: “It’s an honor and a privilege to be able to come work with Coach Herman and the UT staff. Obviously Texas Football has great tradition and history, and I’m excited to be a part of it. When you think of college football, Texas is going to be in the conversation of top programs in the history of the game. Coach Herman has done a great job the past few years, there’s a lot of great talent on the roster, and I know he’s assembled an outstanding staff.”

Herman needs to be near or in the playoffs in 2020. If he is, it buys him 2021. If he goes 7-6 in 2021, I don’t think anyone can say with certainty that he’d be back for 2022. I also don’t follow or agree with your certainty about him being back for 2021 with something like a 9 win season. In reality, that take is as wrong as you are certain. If the guy doesn’t win the conference in 2020, he’s going to have to have a damned good reason for it to keep his job. 

If he goes 9-3 and finished 2nd behind OU, with losses to OU, LSU and one fluke, he probably should be back unless the behind the scenes dissatisfaction with him as a person warrants getting rid of him. You’ve heard way more negative things about him than anyone else on this whole site combined.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

My order from best to worst hire looking at combined recruiting and coaching:

1. Yurcich - pretty good

2. Coleman - pretty good

3. Boulware - pretty good

4. Ash - ok

5. Valai - questionable

6. Hutzler - questionable

7. Hagen - questionable

Hutzler's too low imo. Dude's an actual hot young name (especially versus Valai) who left a ship with much bigger holes in it at SoCar.

(also, for the "CDC SHOULD TELL EVERYONE SHAKA NEEDS TO GET HIS SHIT TOGETHER" crowd, that is what happens when an AD is clearly not 100% behind their coaches)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

If he goes 9-3 and finished 2nd behind OU, with losses to OU, LSU and one fluke, he probably should be back unless the behind the scenes dissatisfaction with him as a person warrants getting rid of him. You’ve heard way more negative things about him than anyone else on this whole site combined.

Does all the BMD’s disliking him count?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Like I said, I don’t think 9 or less wins without some kind of crazy excuse will be enough. At a personal, I have way more disgust and anger over Smart than Herman, but that’s for sure not where many peoples’ heads are.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Like I said, I don’t think 9 or less wins without some kind of crazy excuse will be enough. At a personal, I have way more disgust and anger over Smart than Herman, but that’s for sure not where many peoples’ heads are.

Kind of hard to build a program when there is talk of a new coach every couple of years. It not only fucks the current coach, it fucks the new one taking his job. Or to look at it from a recruiting perspective, the turnover this year and talk of firing TH pushed a lot of recruits away from UT. I know plenty of Texas starters who would have chosen a different school if there was uncertainty in the program. And given that it happened this year and will happen again next year, you can be sure that it weakens our program for the future. Just make the decision to fire and be done with it or don't do it and live with the decision. Actively undermining the program is stupid as shit. LSU grads are dumb, but at least they were smart enough to continue to buy players despite wanting O gone.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Does all the BMD’s disliking him count?

Please show us 1 rumor of this. 1 Uber driver behind 7-11 that heard this. Some pool boy working that heard this. Just some rumor other than fucking idiots on here making a declarative statement that other idiots take as gospel. And NO, ctj does not count. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t think we’ll lose 5 games this year, so I don’t think that part of my post comes into play, and I just don’t see the stomach there for the chaos that would follow from CDC to fire a 4 loss coach. That’s why I left 5% room for the possibility. My guess is we lose 3 or fewer games in 2020.

We will be firing our basketball coach and possibly our baseball coach after this season.

We are going to build a new basketball arena. 

We’ve just fired and hired a bunch of football coaches. 

The last 60 years of Texas Football show that we tolerate a lot more mediocrity than we claim we do. 

The standard isn’t high enough, but it is what it is. Only CDC and the big money guys are going to change it.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1