2020 Coaching Staff

On 2/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

His three DL’s at IU were ranked as follows: 1, 73, 86. 

Even allowing for spare talent that’s a pretty familiar trend line for UT fans, and not one you’d want to see for the Asst HC for defense and DL coach. 

Also, and this is a common refrain from many, but needing to list who’d be better is a nonsensical cop out. There’s probably 20-30 DT coaches available for hire in any given year outside of the superstars. Nothing about this guy’s resume says best of the rest, hidden gem or diamond in the rough. 

He does have some special teams acumen so I guess that’s a plus if Herman actually bothers to  use that facet of the game. 

what ranking is that that you are using? just curious

On 2/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, Dbeasy said:

My order from best to worst hire looking at combined recruiting and coaching:

1. Yurcich - pretty good

2. Coleman - pretty good

3. Boulware - pretty good

4. Ash - ok

5. Valai - questionable

6. Hutzler - questionable

7. Hagen - questionable

1. Yurcich - Great hire.  If Herman will let him be this will be fantastic.   

2. Boulware - Solid hire. Sooners were ready for him to leave but he’s been productive at ST, TE and RB for them.  Give him Hullaby or Sanders in the 21 class and see if he can make a Millard. 

3. Hutzler - Solid hire.  Been around big name coaches and have a lot of them backing his work  

4. Coleman - Good hire (would be higher if we would’ve fucking done this earlier and kept QJ).  Players seem to love him.  

5. Ash - OK hire with potential to be good.  I think simplifying our D and putting athletes in position to be athletes will make for decent turnaround (i.e. Ossai hand in ground, DO to LB, both of which got moved quickly after arrival.  Good sign there) 

6. Valai - Cautious optimism of good.  I like his energy and connections.  Dunno if he can coach for shit but I think kids will buy into him a lot like they have with Huff being around.  

7. Hagen - No clue.  I think Herman took some shots for bigger names and lost out to truly better spots (i.e Okam to NFL). Just have to see how this one plays out

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Yurcich - applying the caveat that Herman actually works with him to construct thoughtful gameplans and then let's him call the game and tempo.

2) Hutzler - there are folks who believe this guy is an up and comer and a strong recruiter.

3) Boulware - I like taking this guy from OU and bringing him home. He's got a good ST rep along with recruiting acumen.

4) Ash - comfort hire and a lunkhead, but Herman has proven he could do a lot worse. I'm at the point of viewing mediocrity as valued progress within the Texas football/AD program. Orlando became a frightening fucking joke, kind of like Ash as a personnel manager and head coach. I'm hoping the theory that bad HCs can still be amazeballs coordinators proves itself out with this guy.

5) Coleman - this hire could have happened quickly if this was who Herman wanted. It wasn't. In reality, Herman whiffed multiple times on other targets, then farted promptly into his own closed hand, lifted it up to his nose as he closed his eyes, released the odor bomb and saw Coleman's name through the mist. Blech, meh, eh. Those claiming he's some sort of solid recruiter are wishcasting. We have no fucking idea whether or not this guy can recruit, but I'm crossing my fingers with everyone else.

6) Hagen - 27 years of proven mediocrity is quite the standard in which we're now aspiring within the program. On the other hand, if this guy is the replacement for, say, Derek Warehime, then, uh, sign me up? At least we now have 5 assistants on defense. So, in effect, this guy matters in the form of having mass and taking up space. 

7) Valai - there is no justification whatsoever for this hire that makes any sense except for the premise that he's going to be an aggressive bag man. That's hopefully what's going on. If it is, however, the early results aren't promising. He shows up and decides to recruit Ennis Rakestraw, who then sprints immediately into the waiting arms of ... Missouri? Holy fucking shit. (Charlie) Strong start for this guy. 

People can say what they like, but if OU had a defensive staff of Smoldering Ash, Hustle Never Sleeps, Mother Hutzler, J'ai Alai, and Tom Hagen, we'd all be high-fiving and proclaiming our intellectual superiority. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9563481 

• Like 1

Valai is still basically a first-time position coach when it comes to major college football. And, yes, he was on Chris Ash's staff at Rutgers, which basically means to find a redder flag, you'd have to have dead bodies involved.

But I gotta say, the rhetoric regarding his appearances so far doesn't match the lack of experience. There are a lot of people "in the biz" who are high as hell on him. Here's hoping it isn't all hot air.

37 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Valai is still basically a first-time position coach when it comes to major college football. And, yes, he was on Chris Ash's staff at Rutgers, which basically means to find a redder flag, you'd have to have dead bodies involved.

But I gotta say, the rhetoric regarding his appearances so far doesn't match the lack of experience. There are a lot of people "in the biz" who are high as hell on him. Here's hoping it isn't all hot air.

We’re in the Manny Diaz honeymoon phase, where we pop pants tents based on things like stage presence and interview snippets.

enjoy this high water mark.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:
vap·id
/ˈvapəd/
adjective

1. offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging.

I do not think this word means what you think it means.

I mean, maybe you found her to be a challenge? I know the rest of us haven’t.