2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The wall art tells the story. Why not mount Spirographs you did in 3rd grade or hand turkeys? All would be equally impressive.

And I just realized that shit is the state of Iowa, Missouri and what appears to be Indiana...on repeat.  What the fucking fuck?  Might as well tack up a banana.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 minute ago, theaveragejon said:

Why are things so difficult for Texas. I just don’t get it. 

Because we never act like we should and just hire the best people. The conversation to get Herman should have started with who he wanted on his staff, and when he mentioned that he would be bringing the gang from UofH instead of upgrading, we should have stopped. We should have realized that he was in over his head when he demoted Beck and then forgot to actually hire someone else. We should have realized that when we left Warehime on staff when he was an abomination. 

We need to have a coach that is willing to put his ego aside and find the best candidates for whatever system he wants to run and not his fucking cronies or people he went to a strip club together a decade ago.

Sadly, we'll have a decent season next year without a conference championship and be stuck with Herman for another year when it all goes south post-Sam and with diminishing recruiting that puts whoever we hire next into a shit situation.

TLDR: We don't have the balls to actually make the decisions that matter until it is too late, and then we fuck it up because we are desperate. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

And I just realized that shit is the state of Iowa, Missouri and what appears to be Indiana...on repeat.  What the fucking fuck?  Might as well tack up a banana.  

They were string art done by their daughter and are the colors of the schools he has coached at. That picture is from a story about him when he got hired at NDSU. 

8 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Why are things so difficult for Texas. I just don’t get it. 

Because we put people in charge who are loath to making changes in an effort to excel and will happily accept mediocrity and try to convince all of us that this what being the Jonses is all about.  It's what we've done for decades and will continue to do until the BMDs, who are the only ones with the power to bring change, are willing to use their leverage to force the hiring of cold blooded winners instead of gladhanding or player kissing coaches that make us look like we want image over substance.

• Like 2

Did Tom think he was hiring Messingham three years ago, but fucked up and hired Mehringer instead?

The thing is, Courtney (it is Courtney, right?) is probably a better football coach than Herman, a lot of people are, so there could be an improvement. But if we really have essentially a blank check to find the best, I have my doubts he would be in the conversation.

But he sure as hell would be a leading candidate for alignment. 

Because we put people in charge who are loath to making changes in an effort to excel and will happily accept mediocrity and try to convince all of us that this what being the Jonses is all about.  It's what we've done for decades and will continue to do until the BMDs, who are the only ones with the power to bring change, are willing to use their leverage to force the hiring of cold blooded winners instead of gladhanding or player kissing coaches that make us look like we want image over substance.

Yup.

LOL. [mention=384]texifornia[/mention] on this very thread told you guys that no one would be flipping without a competent OC hire, even after like 2-3 guys had already flipped. I’d like to hear more from him and others who think that this is all part of a normal hiring outcome. 

I said last week that not having coordinators in place will fuck us but I was assured this recruiting class is committed!

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’d like to hear more from him and others who think that this is all part of a normal hiring outcome. 

Since 50% of all hirings are average or below, and 50% is a "normal" sounding percentage, I'll say sure, this is absolutely part of a normal hiring outcome.

If you don't know whether the glass is half full or half empty, just make sure you're drinking the right stuff.

Buddy of mine used to play for ndsu.  All the coaches showered with the players asa sign of unity.   Coach mess was apparently packing.  

No wonder Herman wants him. Naked coaches. Kissing players. This program has gotten super ghey NTTAWWT
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

LOL. @texifornia on this very thread told you guys that no one would be flipping without a competent OC hire, even after like 2-3 guys had already flipped. I’d like to hear more from him and others who think that this is all part of a normal hiring outcome. 

Yup. He and others have gotten lots of rep for posts like that. Guessing they’ll be silent now 

Edited by Cap Hooked

Y'all gotta know that the $9.95ers don't know shit. They're just researching every coach and assistant/trainer/analyst who was at any school at the same time Herman was and then checking to see if any of them are currently working anywhere close to an OC or HC position that isn't a blue blood in the CFP this year. Then they write up about how this person is a "potential candidate" despite having zero information and y'all go nuts about it. Other media hacks jump on the name because they don't want to look uninformed if something DOES develop later and all of a sudden it's considered serious. Just remember who we're listening to: Chip Brown, Bobby Burton, Wescott Eberts.

I expect we'll get someone who will not excite most people - similar to when we hired Sterlin Gilbert. We'll probably have similar disappointments next year but will probably end with a slightly better record due to improvements in tackling. That will probably mean another year of Herman. Then we can see what he can do without Sam. Can he put out a good QB that can run the offense the way tOSU does? If not, we'll probably end up with the perpetual 7-5/8-4 years that aggy celebrates. The good thing is that - unlike aggy - we tend to fire coaches that do that.

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

This is less than ideal.  It appears that Herman fired all his coaches with no plan other than to talk to Joe Brady. Hi Joe,  bye Joe.  He better pull a fucking big dicked rabbit out of his asshole if he expects to survive another year.  Hiring Lash, Major or fucking Joe Biden from Kansas state isn't gonna satisfy any fans and if we win 10 games next year but lose to OU and don't win the Big 12 every single fan will want him gone. 

It’s over and everyone knows it. But it took Mensa to unify everyone in hatred. It’ll be the one good thing he did for Texas.

• Like 1

The alleged insider oracles on this board obviously are just as full of shit as the 9.95ers.

-TH doesn’t have a blank check to money whip “ the best available”

- TH didn’t fire anyone, likely everyone was fired and leaving staggered timetable that met various basic needs in some ways such as money and recruits.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You don’t know or understand shit. Stop shitting on threads with your ignorant nonsense. You are a fucking rube when posting this nonsense. Negged, clown. 

Quentin Johnston

“Mehringer is a high-spirited coach and we have a great relationship,” Johnston said after the game. “It’s felt like I’ve known him for a long time. That’s hard to find.” 

Van Fillingers high school coach played for Orlando,  but whatever you say dude

Good analysis of Courtney Messingham's offense below.
(Ross Uglem) SPECIAL ANALYSIS: The Messingham Playbook

To understand the Courtney Messingham offensive system that's coming to Kansas State, you have to travel back in time a bit. You see, NDSU's system isn't truly his. Not a whole lot changed when Tim Polasek left to coach Iowa's offensive line in 2017. Frankly not much changed when he took over NDSU's offense from Brent Vigen after Vigen followed Bohl to Wyoming.
North Dakota State hired Bob Babich to replace Rocky Hager when they were still in NCAA D2.  The 1996 team was a heavy option run team, as QB Kevin Feeney led the team with 182 rushing attempts. Babich installed the Power I in '97 moving forward, and the NDSU pro-style offense was born. It evolved into more of a West Coast scheme when Bohl arrived and brought in Northwestern transfer Tony Stauss to usher NDSU into Division I.
Here is the program's glorious bread and butter: Power.
[/url]

NDSU's offense is no longer "West Coast".  The quick slants and short passing game, in general, are not a primary way of moving the ball down the field.  North Dakota State now contracts the defense by slamming the ball down their throats with the run game, then when the safeties are up, they go over the top.  NDSU quarterback Easton Stick, a legit pro prospect, has an AY/A of 10.9.  That's kind of a silly number.  When posed against Skylar Thompson's 6.7 and Alex Delton's 6.3 it looks even sillier.  Stick is averaging nearly 16 yards per completion, and his Average Depth of Target has to be close to leading the FCS.  They bomb the ball down the field.
Kansas State is really getting a continuously evolving version of the NDSU offense that started when Bohl arrived, not some system that Messingham brought with him from Iowa State and Montana State.  Make no mistake, Coach Mess brought that offense to new heights, but the roots lie deep within Bison Football.  Let's break down what Wildcat fans can expect from their new offense.  I'll try to point out specific ideas and tendencies from Messingham when I can.
A-Gap Power
I'll start by saying there won't be a better explanation of NDSU's power scheme than the one done by USA Football's Noah Riley.  The basic difference in the way that most teams run power and that way that NDSU does it is the shuffle pull from the pulling guard to keep his shoulders square to the hole.  Usually, a pulling guard will open up and run square to the sideline executing a "kick out" block a defensive end or outside linebacker.  Watch 64 shuffle his feet and lead 8 through the hole.
There are plenty of A Gap Power runs for three and four yards in the first quarter that turned into 60 and 70-yard gains in the second half because teams are simply worn down.  It's a difficult play to defend down after down after down.
RB Vert / RB Wheel
This is the most famous concept from NDSU's scheme.  Both because of just how lethal it is and because it's been co-opted by multiple NFL offenses.  ESPN.com's Mike Sando profiled the concept.  It first made it's an appearance in 2014, the first season Carson Wentz was the starter.  It's a Tim Polasek idea that Messingham has tweaked and still uses with incredible efficiency. Here's the first example I could find of the route concept, though RB/FB Chase Morlock lined up as the tight end in this example.
It's usually to a running back out of the backfield though:
and often comes out of this formation.  Some offenses will call this "Gun Trey", some an "inverted wishbone", and I believe NDSU refers to it as "Delta".
Messingham as found a couple different ways to utilize this route combo.  He's stressed the seam as well as faking an inside run instead of a sweep. The play has been so successful over the years that fans recognize it when it starts to develop and usually rise to their feet.
Shotgun Run Game: Zone Read, Inside Zone and QB Power
This is certainly one that K-State fans will recognize.  In fact, I would guess a lot of K-State fans would say they've seen a little too much zone read and inside zone.  That's kind of how you end up with Alex Barnes, Skylar Thompson and Alex Delton accounting for 446 of K-State's 503 rushing attempts.  Those 446 rushing attempts counted for 56% of every play Kansas State called.  The Wildcats ran it almost 2x as much as they threw it.  I'd care to say 85+% of those attempts were out of the gun.  There are certainly shotgun run plays in NDSU's lexicon. 
You can see a similar read of the backside end here between Delton and Barnes in the '18 Cactus Bowl.  Frankly, this is probably one that Delton should've kept, but ultimately Barnes makes the play and gets the DE across his face anyway.
QB Power is always one to watch for from Messingham, specifically in the red zone. 
Run-Pass Options
This will ultimately depend on how much trust is established between Messingham and his quarterbacks.  RPOs (Run-Pass Options) are not something that belong in every offense, and contrary to popular belief they're not the same thing as play-action passes.  They require a skilled QB that can process information quickly.  I believe Skylar Thompson has every tool in the world to be that QB. We'll see. When executed correctly they're darn near indefensible.  When executed poorly it's begging for disaster, specifically the ineligible men downfield type of disaster.  Also turnovers. Those are a
North Dakota State's use of the run-pass option really increased during Stick's Junior and Senior seasons, both under QB coach Randy Hedberg (staying at NDSU) and Coach Mess.
"Smash" Route Concept
One of the Messingham specials is the "Smash" route concept.  This ITP profile on the concept actually includes NDSU film.  The basic concept is an outside receiver runs a stop route, either a hook or a curl, and a slot or tight end runs a corner or flag route.  
8914844.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320
It stresses C2 because the C2 Corner sits on the stop route and the C2 safety can't get to the sideline fast enough.  It also works just fine against Man to Man and C4.  Usually, against C3 the stop route is an easy pitch and catch. 
Ultimately, expect there to be more under center looks, but for the run-pass ratio to remain similar.  If K-State can continue to play excellent defense, Messingham/NDSU's run control/deep passing offense will use multiple personnel to confuse defenses and succeed at Kansas State.  Expect mass skill position substitutions play in and play out and plenty of pre-snap motion.

Just wanted to quote this wall of horseshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The alleged insider oracles on this board obviously are just as full of shit as the 9.95ers.

-TH doesn’t have a blank check to money whip “ the best available”

- TH didn’t fire anyone, likely everyone was fired and leaving staggered timetable that met various basic needs in some ways such as money and recruits.

You think 1.2 mil is what kept Harrell at usc?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Have to laugh at how much fun it will be to see Surly meltdown humor for Mensa and a guy named "Courtney Messingham"

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

still not as gay as Top Gun

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

This would be the biggest middle finger from Tom Herman yet. Here is a blank check with unlimited funds to go money whip the best coaching staff possible. 

Tom Herman’s response? 

Hold my beer and watch this! 

He hasn't gone full Bobby Jack Wright yet.

Yet.

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I know this might come as a shock to some, but Major is an extremely average OC. 

So, a massive upgrade, then.

At least Major can coach a multiple offense instead of the ol' "If you have 50% of the personnel for your offense, run 50% of your offense" bullshit.

He and Herm can go talk wistfully about their genius mentor Greg Davis together.

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’ll leave you poor guys alone for a while to drown in your own tears. 

Not crying. Not hopeful. Just disappointed.

3 hours ago, Harvdog said:

These are the same people who bitched about Mack when he was winning 10 games a season and it wasn’t enough.  

Uhm... no. You don't remember me very well, do ya?

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

🤷 eh, fuckit

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

machine gun GIF

I don't know what this is about, but I approve. +rep

3 hours ago, MoJames said:

Carol.a42d7d57531e2943b55689630338a23c.jpg

1, 2

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You think 1.2 mil is what kept Harrell at usc?

Maybe it was Herman but maybe Harrell thinks USC has a good shot at winning the PAC 12 next year and then he can get an HC job. With a young family he might not have wanted them to live for one year. Probably Herman

9 hours ago, Chrispy_ said:

K State was ranked 92nd in total offense, this is so Mensa. 

please for God's sake stop using fucking total offense across the board.

it is a *terrible* measuring stick for how good or bad teams actually are and in 2019, we have way better ways to measure it.

• KSU finished at #51 in OFEI (FEI's offensive stat)
  • KSU finished at #67 in S&P Offense rankings

Here is a breakdown that includes components of both FEI and S&P and rankings vs the rest of the B12

not using this to say that he would or wouldn't be a great hire, but please...STOP USING TOTAL DEFENSE AS A MEASURING STICK IN 2019

we don't use batting average and wins as a way to identify how good pitchers and hitters are because we have more information and more research to show us what actually matters - looking at overall stats and what matters, then standardizing for park and league average gave us wRC+.

we have stats like FIP, SIERA and DRA for pitchers that show us what should have happened for things that pitchers actually have an impact on. 

there is a better way!

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

CDC is either letting TH hang himself on purpose or he is showing horrible leadership in this.  BTW if he is letting him screw up intentionally why not just suck it up and get rid of him now?

Because if you give a guy 4 years, during which he got an extension to show commitment, while he improved and then sunk the program with 2 chances to get the right staff in place, before recruiting and the roster fell apart via the portal, after having no athletic department stability for 10 years, its much much easier to shop for the next guy. Put the mess on herman, not Texas. 

That’s a way better story than: Only got 3 years despite a winning season every year and a 10 win sugar bowl championship, recruited at an elite or near elite level, kids went to class and made grades, and well fire you if you don’t win immediately. 

I can entertain an argument where keeping Herman and letting him repeatedly fail with the rope he’s been given makes sense long term for Texas. Sometimes optics matter. A lot of the time optics matter. Now if CDC sees none of what’s happening, and isn’t basically laying things out for herman and already vetting candidates for after next season and is flat footed here, then fuck him too. He’s as incompetent as Herman. Time will tell. But if he’s preparing for an actual coaching search, the kind we apparently have never seen at Texas possibly ever, well ok. That can be the manufactured nugget of hope that can sustain me for the next calendar year, because it sure as fuck isn’t going to be the actual football team. 

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

This board has a retarded protective relationship with CDC.  Anything he does that's dumb or wrong is immediately justified and placed on someone else's shoulders.  It's bizarre.  CDC gave him the extension.  But this board white knighted him lightning fast.

We want to believe he is the one