2020 Coaching Staff

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also, I’m pretty sure they’ve actually improved on offense since he left. 

Ehh, not really. This year their offense plugged in probably their most athletic QB they've had, but even so averaged about *4 ppg less than last year under Messyham. Not to count this past weekend was the first time since like, 2002 that they didn't score a single TD in a home game. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

He won 10 games, beat OU at the cotton bowl, secured his 2nd top 5 recruiting class and comfortably beat the 2nd greatest SEC team that year.  Who cares how detestable he is, he had the program headed in the right direction (narrator: he didn’t). 

Spot on. HOWEVER, most of the posters on here conveniently forget that they were 100% on board then. Now they're trying to outdo each other in spewing vitriol. Truth is, none of us really knows what's going on. Like everybody else, I I'm confused and disappointed in the way this is coming down. I think it's stupid not to have your OC and DC locked up and recruiting before NSD1. Big mistake. Is it possible that somebody will be announced as OC that will blow our socks off? Yes. Do I think that will happen? No. But the point is, I don't know and neither does anybody else outside what's apparently a really tight inner circle. But, man, we're Surly and we absolutely refuse to let ignorance stand in the way of our bitching.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Why the fuck did we hire Herman?

Same reason LSU wanted him.  Offensive coordinator who helped OSU win a title with a third string program, then found success at Houston beating the likes of OU sucks and FSU. 

I've destroyed a lot of brain cells since then, but who were the other hot candidates at the time?

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If Herman is such a detestable meathead, which by the way many thought was possible when he was hired, how in the hell does CDC extend him last year? Surely he had to have seen problems then.

I envision a scenario where Herman drove up to work everyday and sat in his car playing Pour Some Sugar On Me on repeat at extreme volume outside of CDC’s office until Del Conte relented in exchange for his preferred morning music of Kenny G or perhaps Yanni. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same reason LSU wanted him.  Offensive coordinator who helped OSU win a title with a third string program, then found success at Houston beating the likes of OU sucks and FSU. 

I've destroyed a lot of brain cells since then, but who were the other hot candidates at the time?

None as far as serious.  Herman was pretty much given the job before Charlie lost at KU.  

15 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Mack’s first 3 years were a mixed bag.  He won 9 games every year and recruited like crazy.  But we weren’t playing for championships and everyone on Longhorn Fan Zone lost their mind and wanted Mack gone.  He got 10 wins in year 4.  People still complained. Point is, it takes time and patience. Clemson fans wanted to fire Dabo after his 3rd year.  Then in year 4 it all clicked. It takes 5 years to get everything in place.  If we are 7-5 after 2020, then it’s time to make a change.

tenor.gif

First stop counting Dabo's first partial year as year one.  In today's world, folks that are eventually going to win a championship have things humming by year 3 or 4. Even in the NFL if a coach does not win the Super Bowl by season 5 with a team they are not going to win the big one with that team as per an ESPN commentator. Few if any wanted Mack gone most wanted GDGD gone. Still, Mack got his MNC due to the talent he recruited and he finally got the best DC at the time and took the hand cuffs off his QB and OC. Tom just did not hire "the best guy" because it would require taking the hand cuffs off and got a buddy DC and things are definitely not humming.

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just entered this thread & I'm wondering why are people bring up David Beatty as OC candidate when he's never been an OC on the college level? He was the WR coach on Sumlin's A&M staff when KU hired him as Head Coach.

was OC at Rice in 2010 and Kansas in 2011...

1 hour ago, Minor Orangeblack said:

Do you want to know what the definition of insanity is? It is convincing yourselves, that you have more than one option, when you have only looked at one idea the whole entire time.

not sure what took so long but this was the post that made me put this clown on block. 

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

tenor.gif

First stop counting Dabo's first partial year as year one.  In today's world, folks that are eventually going to win a championship have things humming by year 3 or 4. Even in the NFL if a coach does not win the Super Bowl by season 5 with a team they are not going to win the big one with that team as per an ESPN commentator. Few if any wanted Mack gone most wanted GDGD gone. Still, Mack got his MNC due to the talent he recruited and he finally got the best DC at the time and took the hand cuffs off his QB and OC. Tom just did not hire "the best guy" because it would require taking the hand cuffs off and got a buddy DC and things are definitely not humming.

Didn't Tom Landry win his first Superbowl in year 12?

17 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Herman was a super popular hire all-around at the time. Yes there were dissenters as there always are, but if Herman had gone to LSU the shag would have had a collective aneurysm about losing out on him and how we should have fired Charlie midseason just to get a head start on sending dumptrucks of money to Herman's house. 

Moreover, both the 9.95ers and multiple posters on this board were exclaiming Herman was the right and exact hire this program needs to get UT back to national prominence. Several of the 9.95ers are still on that train. Not sure about those posters who post here though.

i wanted Herman. I was wrong. Fuck outta here bro.

9 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Mike Yurcich  Ohio St.

Sean Gleeson Oklahoma St.

Major Applewhite

He goes on to say he doesn't believe any have actually been contacted yet..

For those that are into this sort of thing:

USA Today Salaries:  https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Mike Yurcich - 950k  (Hafley, Wilson, and Yurcich each made 950k this season)

Sean Gleeson - 550k

Major Applewhite - worked as an analyst so he could keep collecting his UH buyout

14 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Didn't Tom Landry win his first Superbowl in year 12?

I did not verify ESPN commentators fact and he was talking about today's NFL in relation to Garret. Also, we do not live in the 60's and 70's environment and are not starting a franchise from scratch. Yet even in your example when did Landry play for his first championship and when was he making waves in the play-offs? That is 6 years in from scratch.

DAL 1966 10 3 1 .750 1st in NFL East 0 1 .000 Lost to the Green Bay Packers in NFL Championship Game
Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

From the recruiting board:

Nahlin

Names I've "heard" through the grapevine, though I can't pretend to know the actual order or exact level of interest.

Sean Gleeson, Ok St.: He'll probably be Mike Yurcich after a few more years under Gundy but this would be a premature promotion and Herman would still be running the show. That said, could work. The Ok St. offense is a good fit for the personnel, conference, and Tom's need to bully ball.

Kirk Ciarrocca, Minnesota: Sneaky good hire. He's the coach to Fleck's motivational speaker. Would be good for Sam's development.

David Yost, Tech: Not sure how serious but I think his agent has been contacted. Better hire than given credit for if it happened.

Others:

You've probably heard the name Courtney Messingham floated. He was at Iowa State with Herman in 2009 and is at K-State now. LOL. That would have Sam looking to grad transfer and rightfully so. He'd be good for the running game but give me a break on that.

Major Applewhite's name will probably come up. I cannot see that happening and things would get interesting if that's who Herman went to bat for. If you start seeing "Major Applewhite, he's a Longhorn legend" on the LHN, start to wonder.

Who they should look at:

Phil Longo, North Carolina: Sorry, Mack.

Mike Yurcich, Ohio State: He'd be pricey but I think he has a number Texas can meet. My initial #1, then #2 behind Harrell, and now #1 again.

I'm sure there are other names being looked at that I'm unaware of.

15 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Curious, did anyone give a shit about Graham Harrell before his name was pumped to us by the “media”? Obviously the optics arent great but think a lot of y’all built him up to be something we don’t know if he is, or can be, yet. That said obviously plan b could be shit also.

No but there is a guy on San Fransisco staff that I was hoping Harrell would bring along as his potential replacement that no one has mentioned due to his inexperience but is part of three very good trees.

fxnxosfq4mi2by3ds1ky.jpg

Wes Welker - Wide Receivers coach

Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell is going to stay at USC. It appears unlikely Joe Brady will leave LSU for Texas.

Where does Texas football coach Tom Herman go next?

That is the question I posed to my sources after Harrell announced his decision to remain at USC on Monday night. Brady and Harrell were the notable names, but I wanted to know who were some of the other candidates in Herman’s list. I uncovered several notes worth passing along to you on Tuesday.

First, it is important to remember that Herman is not looking for a “home run hire,” according to my sources. One of the aspects of this search I discovered this past weekend was there is not a belief that the offense was broken this season. Texas finished with the 15th ranked offense in college football. The Longhorns were also ranked ninth in third-down offense, and 10th in red zone conversions. From what I have been able to gather, Herman does not believe the offense was a major problem this season. Instead, the biggest concern is fixing the defense, which is why his first coordinator hire was Chris Ash.

In addition, I do not sense there is any rush to fill the offensive coordinator position. There is a possibility the position will be filled before Texas faces Utah in the Alamo Bowl. However, Herman will take more time to vet offensive coordinator candidates since there is not a huge sense of urgency. Again, that is just what I am gathering from my sources.

Here are a few Longhorn offensive candidate names I gathered from my sources this week (to my knowledge, none have been contacted):

Mike Yurcich (Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Ohio State)
[IMG]
Photo via The Athletic

He was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2013 to 2018. According to Yurcich’s bio, during his six years at Oklahoma State, the program ranked fifth nationally in passing yards per game (315.9), 11th in touchdown passes (179), seventh in total yards (478.6) and sixth in scoring (38.0). In the 2017 season, Mason Rudolph had 4,904 passing yards, 37 touchdowns and nine interceptions, James Washington and Marcell Ateman had over 1,000 yards receiving, while Justice Hill has over 1,000 yards rushing. In addition, Oklahoma State led the nation in passing (389.2 yards per game), was second in total offense (568.9) and ranked fourth in scoring (45.0).

Basically, that is the ideal balance Herman desires at Texas.

Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has 2,953 passing yards, 40 touchdowns and only one interception this season (190.3 passer rating). Kevin Wilson is Ohio State’s offensive coordinator, but Yurcich impact on Fields is obvious. More importantly, Yurcich could become a coordinator again at Texas.

Right now, Ohio State is preparing to face Clemson in the college football playoffs on December 28. 

Sean Gleeson (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, Oklahoma State)
[IMG]
Photo via Tulsa World

Gleeson is viewed as rising star in college football because of his success at Princeton. He was Princeton’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2017 to 2018. According to his bio, Princeton led the FCS in scoring offense by averaging 47.0 points per game and ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense (second with 536.8 yards per game), rushing offense (sixth with 295.5 yards per game), third-down conversion percentage (second with a mark of 53.4 percent) and pass efficiency (seventh with a mark of 161.26). The Tigers’ 470 points scored in 2018 set an Ivy League record.

More importantly, Gleeson runs a pro-spread that is run first and balance. His philosophy meshes with the style of play Herman desires.

Gleeson reportedly earned $550,000 during his first season at Oklahoma State this season. From a financial aspect, giving Gleeson more money would not be an issue. It is hard to know from afar if Gleeson is married to Oklahoma State and coach Mike Gundy. However, he has the attributes Herman desires in an offensive coordinator.

I have heard his name mentioned multiple times recently.

Major Applewhite (analyst/Alabama) 
[IMG]
Photo via AP

Let me start by saying this could be a difficult sell to Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte. Nevertheless, if Herman eventually decides he wants to convince the program to move on from what occurred in the past, Applewhite will move up the current candidate list. 

My sources told me Herman is intrigued about the possibility of reuniting with Applewhite at Texas. When Herman talks about wanting to focus on being a head coach, that has a lot to do with the success he had with Applewhite at Houston. Applewhite ran the offense, which allowed Herman to take a big picture approach. His former offensive coordinator ran the meetings at Houston, a task Herman is forced to do at Texas. Applewhite also developed game plans Herman liked at Houston.

“Having to spend that much time preparing an offensive game plan every week took, and has taken, too much of my time and energy in order to do the things necessary as a head coach, to do them at an elite level, like I've been able to do in the past,” Herman recently said.

Basically, Herman has been looking for the next Applewhite during his current candidate search, and my sources have indicated he has discussed a potential reunion in Austin. Applewhite has spent this season learning under Alabama coach Nick Saban, and knows the recruiting landscape in Texas, which adds to his appeal.

I would not overreact to this nugget. Instead, just file it in the back of your head.

Courtney Messingham (offensive coordinator/Kansas State)

There has been some speculation about Messingham recently, but my sources indicated he is not a candidate at Texas.

I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

Spot on. HOWEVER, most of the posters on here conveniently forget that they were 100% on board then. Now they're trying to outdo each other in spewing vitriol. Truth is, none of us really knows what's going on. Like everybody else, I I'm confused and disappointed in the way this is coming down. I think it's stupid not to have your OC and DC locked up and recruiting before NSD1. Big mistake. Is it possible that somebody will be announced as OC that will blow our socks off? Yes. Do I think that will happen? No. But the point is, I don't know and neither does anybody else outside what's apparently a really tight inner circle. But, man, we're Surly and we absolutely refuse to let ignorance stand in the way of our bitching.

anyone who thought this was the guy after Maryland 2 electric boogaloo and failure to fire Orlando after last years completely pathetic D performance was closing their eyes and hoping.    Now he's losing to TCU, Baylor, and ISU. He's not getting completely blown out or losing to kansas...yet. The almost loss to KU at home should have had CDC sharpening up the guillotine.  I was completely done after that game.  Georgia was a marginal team with a marginal QB, playing  in the shitty SEC East. all proven out this year.

The coaching in this league is too big a hurdle for Herman and his  merry band of idiots.

Applewhite is a  more of the same.  Yurcich would be a great but I doubt OSU/Urban let him get away to Texas especially.  I keep thinking it is Lashlee but if so why haven't we announced him?  the only think I can think of is to make it look like a search and he wasn't just the fallback to harrell.

Just now, dcar00 said:

Applewhite is a  more of the same.  Yurcich would be a great but I doubt OSU/Urban let him get away to Texas especially.  I keep thinking it is Lashlee but if so why haven't we announced him?  the only think I can think of is to make it look like a search and he wasn't just the fallback to harrell.

wut?

Just now, dcar00 said:

but I doubt OSU/Urban let him get away

I keep forgetting Meyer is the assistant AD or whatever tf up there. Maybe Meyer will send Yurciglichi down here a year to scout the university before taking the job 2021

(not serious btw)

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm beginning to think Lashlee wouldn't want the job.  One more season at SMU, with a Sr. QB that knows the offense, and he's looking at a HC job.  Might be in his best interests to stay at SMU one more year.

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I think Gleeson could become one of those up and coming dudes, but yah, one okay year up in the bigs worries me.

Yurcich? Fuck yes. 

That Ohio St offensive triumvirate is a weird deal -  Yurcich and Wilson share OC title and each make nearly a million a year - but neither calls plays because Ryan Day is HC/OC/Play caller.  I'd have to think Yurcich would have to be a little bit interested in taking a job where he would be in charge of the offense (I don't know if that would be true here - but he could definitely find a spot if he wanted to).

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm waiting for Applewhite's name to be mentioned. The good news to me is that Messingham/Beatty/Applewhite after hiring Ash might, maybe, less than 25% chance but more than 0%, wake up enough people that even the regents get on board with a head replacement.

Well that didn't take long. Somebody pay me my share of that $9.95 goodness.

And please oh please Tom Herman draw a line in the sand with your boss that Applewhite is who you want.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This all reminds me of something I didn’t post in October because I got depressed from watching the games and decommitments. 

I have a good friend that played CFB with Neal Brown. They’ve remained buddies. Brown ends up hosting my friend and a couple of their other college friends for the next WVU home game after Texas. 

My buddy comes back from the trip, my wife and I and he and his wife go out for dinner. He tells several Holgerson legend stories from WVU that Brown inherited and then he starts talking about Tom Herman. Brown has now interacted with Herman during the Big 12 media stuff in the summer and the week of the UT/WVU game. Said two things about Herman stand out: 1) He’s completely destestable. Can’t figure out how this guy ever signs a recruit or got a HC gig, much less another one at Texas. He’s Shooter McGavin with a HC gig and 2) He’s a total fucking meathead. He’s like shockingly stupid and comes across as though he thinks he’s highly intelligent but has nothing behind that with anything he ever says. 

Anyway, both of those things mesh with what I’ve seen in limited exposure personally and everything we hear these days from the rumors and journalists. 

Tom Herman eats pieces of shit for breakfast.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

anyone who thought this was the guy after Maryland 2 electric boogaloo and failure to fire Orlando after last years completely pathetic D performance was closing their eyes and hoping.    Now he's losing to TCU, Baylor, and ISU. He's not getting completely blown out or losing to kansas...yet. The almost loss to KU at home should have had CDC sharpening up the guillotine.  I was completely done after that game.  Georgia was a marginal team with a marginal QB, playing  in the shitty SEC East. all proven out this year.

The coaching in this league is too big a hurdle for Herman and his  merry band of idiots.

To be clear, a search of your post history will provide evidence of you calling for firing Herman and/or Orlando at some point post Sugar Bowl win and pre LSU.  Right?   I mean I don't have time for that but it was reasonable to think maybe we were turning the corner after the Sugar Bowl last year.  Don't recall a ton of naysayers then.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm beginning to think Lashlee wouldn't want the job.  One more season at SMU, with a Sr. QB that knows the offense, and he's looking at a HC job.  Might be in his best interests to stay at SMU one more year.

possible but I think Lashlee doesn't have enough skins on the wall away from Malzahn and SMU doesn't really move the needle for an OC.  I think he'd fall all over himself to be the OC at Texas.