2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

If Herman is such a detestable meathead, which by the way many thought was possible when he was hired, how in the hell does CDC extend him last year? Surely he had to have seen problems then.

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

He won 10 games, beat OU at the cotton bowl, secured his 2nd top 5 recruiting class and comfortably beat the 2nd greatest SEC team that year.  Who cares how detestable he is, he had the program headed in the right direction (narrator: he didn’t). 

Looking back, I don't think I'll ever understand how in the fuck 2018 happened. I think it confused everyone, from Sam Ehlinger to every poster on this board. Just bizarre.

I do find the declarations from people on this thread that "everyone on this board was fully in favor of Tom Herman this time last year" to be fucking stupid, for multiple reasons. 

1) Who gives a shit if everyone, using the data they had in front of them, drew conclusions that things were headed in the right direction? New shit comes to light. Only fucking idiots will stick to a prior position after new data invalidates their prior belief. It's called learning. Crowing that people here were bullish and now they aren't merely highlights your own idiocy. This is a fan board - no shit people were excited by 10 wins and a Sugar Bowl win. 

2) The absolutes like "everyone" and "completely" aren't true. We weren't all fired up by the hire. I know I was hopeful that Justin Fuente (not saying that was right either, clearly) would be the guy and I wasn't impressed with Herman in my own local and personal interactions with him in Houston, or specifically, the neighborhood we lived in. Multiple people questioned the guy's 2016 season, calling into the radio to argue with sports talk guys, and the speed in which he was being vaulted onto the national stage. Beyond that, what's the fucking problem with people deigning to get excited about a new hire? Especially after Chucklefuck took a giant dump on the program for 3 years. 

3) Predicting the future in anything is difficult. Does that invalidate everyone's current views, opinions and feelings? Does it make someone unwilling to take a position or espouse a view somehow superior? No. It makes them boring and bandwidth drain.

• Like 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

It took awhile, but I’m thrilled your crowdsourcing is well underway. 

I added him to ignore after the ice cream post. It takes effort to be that unfunny. Someone putting in that kind of effort is probably not only a full blown retard, but also unstable. I'm sure he'll just keep coming back with a new handle, now that he's found this place. Hell, maybe he starts a thot rant and reveals himself as the latest Carl Winslow sock. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm beginning to think Lashlee wouldn't want the job.  One more season at SMU, with a Sr. QB that knows the offense, and he's looking at a HC job.  Might be in his best interests to stay at SMU one more year.

anyone who is currently in a position where they are set-up for success is probably not going to take this job. it isn't seen as a stepping stone for possible promotion...it's a one year bet, not just on your own ability, but the ability to do your job under someone that knows they can do your job better than you can (as potentially evidenced by that boss trying to assemble your staff for you). if your timeline is one year, why leave something you know for something you don't? it's probably the same question Harrell asked himself.

48 minutes ago, ColeTrickle said:

Sean Gleeson (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, Oklahoma State)
[IMG]
Photo via Tulsa World

Gleeson is viewed as rising star in college football because of his success at Princeton. He was Princeton’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2017 to 2018. According to his bio, Princeton led the FCS in scoring offense by averaging 47.0 points per game and ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense (second with 536.8 yards per game), rushing offense (sixth with 295.5 yards per game), third-down conversion percentage (second with a mark of 53.4 percent) and pass efficiency (seventh with a mark of 161.26). The Tigers’ 470 points scored in 2018 set an Ivy League record.

More importantly, Gleeson runs a pro-spread that is run first and balance. His philosophy meshes with the style of play Herman desires.

Gleeson reportedly earned $550,000 during his first season at Oklahoma State this season. From a financial aspect, giving Gleeson more money would not be an issue. It is hard to know from afar if Gleeson is married to Oklahoma State and coach Mike Gundy. However, he has the attributes Herman desires in an offensive coordinator.

I have heard his name mentioned multiple times recently.

Question:   Do two Mensas mix?  Or are they like oil and water?

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm beginning to think Lashlee wouldn't want the job.  One more season at SMU, with a Sr. QB that knows the offense, and he's looking at a HC job.  Might be in his best interests to stay at SMU one more year.

I listened to the last part of the 247 Horn podcast too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

anyone who is currently in a position where they are set-up for success is probably not going to take this job. it isn't seen as a stepping stone for possible promotion...it's a one year bet, not just on your own ability, but the ability to do your job under someone that knows they can do your job better than you can (as potentially evidenced by that boss trying to assemble your staff for you). if your timeline is one year, why leave something you know for something you don't? it's probably the same question Harrell asked himself.

Harrell's situation isn't the same, though. He's not set up any better for success at USC than he would have ostensibly been here. The problem is that with each added conversation with Herman, Harrell started to realize that this fucking guy is a whole different thing.

It reminds me of the K'Lavon Chaisson thing. Texas had the guy until Herman spent 8 hours at his house. All it took was one illegal Ed Orgeron contact the following morning to tip the guy over to LSU. I'm guessing a visit from any other head coach that following morning would have sent that guy running screaming into their arms after the 8 hour face to face with the Hermancipator. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Harrell's situation isn't the same, though. He's not set up any better for success at USC than he would have ostensibly been here.

sure he is. he knows exactly what he does and doesn't have at USC. and for the reason you lay out below, it was clear to him that he is set up better for success at USC:

The problem is that with each added conversation with Herman, Harrell started to realize that this fucking guy is a whole different thing. 

if you're just looking at all the toys he would have to play with, sure it's attractive. we're loaded with talent. but he was able to correctly deduce that the reason the sum of the parts sucked ass was because of Tom Herman. i'm assuming that if the conversation progressed enough to discuss authority for and ownership of the offense, it was clear to Harrell that he wasn't going to get the autonomy to do the job he was ostensibly being hired to do.

So it might have been touched on with all the fun chat about sky falling stuff, but do we have any idea how the defensive side of the coaching staff fills out?

DC - Ash (DBs?)

Dline - Giles?

Washington and Naivar stick around?

I'm guess since Ash isn't coaching the bowl game, we will likely find out after.

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

To be clear, a search of your post history will provide evidence of you calling for firing Herman and/or Orlando at some point post Sugar Bowl win and pre LSU.  Right?   I mean I don't have time for that but it was reasonable to think maybe we were turning the corner after the Sugar Bowl last year.  Don't recall a ton of naysayers then.

fair enough.

I'm not exactly sure how to search the post history well but I searched on "fire tom herman."  looks like I said he needed to be fired in the Tulsa thread and after the Sugar Bowl I posted this.

"losing the CCG sucks. its a new day with this stupid round robin/1 v 2 CCG.  We are going to have to beat OU twice now so we need to quit fucking losing to to 5-7 and 6-6 teams.  our goal is the NC.  I'd rather have kicked OU's ass and then had a chance to beat Bama any day of the week.  it would have crushed all the Kyler Murray is the greatest QB of the 21st century talk and set OU back.

The only think making this slightly palatable is the fact we beat "SECSECSEC should have been in the playoff" team in dominating fashion. If it was Washington State no one would have cared. I'm not saying Herman isn't on or ahead of schedule but we need to bring it every week next year and thats on Tom."

sure it wasn't fire his ass after a big bowl win post but I had my doubts.  have to go back and see what I might have posted between then and LSU but like others I probably had other things to do.

Good news though, we only lost to one 5-7 team this year!

I will say by having the word "fire" in the search I had to wade through a bunch of posts that had "Shaka" and "Garrett" in them....

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Harrell's situation isn't the same, though. He's not set up any better for success at USC than he would have ostensibly been here. The problem is that with each added conversation with Herman, Harrell started to realize that this fucking guy is a whole different thing.

It reminds me of the K'Lavon Chaisson thing. Texas had the guy until Herman spent 8 hours at his house. All it took was one illegal Ed Orgeron contact the following morning to tip the guy over to LSU. I'm guessing a visit from any other head coach that following morning would have sent that guy running screaming into their arms after the 8 hour face to face with the Hermancipator. 

How is it possible he's made it this far being such a raging cunt?

Just now, MoJames said:

So it might have been touched on with all the fun chat about sky falling stuff, but do we have any idea how the defensive side of the coaching staff fills out?

DC - Ash (DBs?)

Dline - Giles?

I'm guess since Ash isn't coaching the bowl game, we will likely find out after.

There were rumors (maybe just here on this board) that Naivar might end up the DC at UTSA with Traylor.

I'm guessing Ash coaches safeties, Washington stays on as DB, Giles at DE and then we grab a LB and DT coach.

• Like 1

Just now, Calihorn said:

Greg Ward/Ed Oliver = Tom Herman

Teddy Bridgewater = Charlie Strong

he probably wasn't a complete raging cunt until he got his head gig at Houston and then it got worse when he beat FSU and OU.

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Greg Ward/Ed Oliver = Tom Herman

Teddy Bridgewater = Charlie Strong

he probably wasn't a complete raging cunt until he got his head gig at Houston and then it got worse when he beat FSU and OU.

people have had a lot to say about Charlie, but nobody AFAIK has ever called him a "raging cunt"

31 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

I've never met TH but I was so ready to move on from the dumpster-fire that was Strong and he was seemingly the flavor-of-the-month, had direct UT ties and wanted to come here. I have to say my first "hmm moment" was his idiocy at the end of the bowl game win the first year over Mizzou. Not a good look for HC at a program like Texas.

• Like 1

Just now, Laga4 said:

I think the get the shit out of here feeling is stronger for Herman than it was for Charlie. 

Charlie was a cold anger that built up over time, but he had his backers even to the end. 

Herman is a hot anger that unites almost the entire fanbase. People are legit pissed. 

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've never met TH but I was so ready to move on from the dumpster-fire that was Strong and he was seemingly the flavor-of-the-month, had direct UT ties and wanted to come here. I have to say my first "hmm moment" was his idiocy at the end of the bowl game win the first year over Mizzou. Not a good look for HC at a program like Texas.

I know some on here didn't hate that, and passed it off as "bonding with players" or whatever, but I agree...that was bush-league bullshit for a head coach. Embarrassing. 

(Though that was hardly the first "hmmm" moment from Herman...he accomplished that by halftime of his first game against Maryland.)

• Like 3

Man I can’t believe how long this board will have to stew until getting some sort of real resolution to this mess.

We will lose again to LSU, maybe squeak by KSU, and then probably get trounced by OU, thus kicking into gear the Herman replacement campaign. Oct 10th is the day of reckoning.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Man I can’t believe how long this board will have to stew until getting some sort of real resolution to this mess.

We will lose again to LSU, maybe squeak by KSU, and then probably get trounced by OU, thus kicking into gear the Herman replacement campaign. Oct 10th is the day of reckoning.

We're kicking LSU's ass - with or without an OC.  We'll probably go 2-7 the rest of the way, but we're winning the LSU game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I know some on here didn't hate that, and passed it off as "bonding with players" or whatever, but I agree...that was bush-league bullshit for a head coach. Embarrassing. 

(Though that was hardly the first "hmmm" moment from Herman...he accomplished that by halftime of his first game against Maryland.)

The Maryland thing was bad but I was in Argentina shooting birds and not really caring too much. Losing to Maryland the next year was a really bad fuckup.

49 minutes ago, MoJames said:

DC - Ash (DBs?)

Dline - Giles?

Can’t imagine Washington and Naivar stay on since Ash coaches DBs, usually safeties. At both tOSU and Arky, he had a CBs coach. Hard to say if he’s keep Washington or want to hire someone else. His focus on technique and use of press coverage would make me think he’d likely be pretty picky about his CB coach, which probably wouldn’t bode too well for Washington. 

44 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There were rumors (maybe just here on this board) that Naivar might end up the DC at UTSA with Traylor.

I'm guessing Ash coaches safeties, Washington stays on as DB, Giles at DE and then we grab a LB and DT coach.

To completely contradict what I said above, there’s a scenario where Ash’s lost ally to Herman for gifting him this gig means if Herman tells him to keep Washington, then he does regardless of what he thinks of him as a coach. I’d also like to see 2 DL coaches, since were using a 4 man front, especially if Giles is going to be kept. 

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I remember reactively grimacing when I heard how glowingly he talked about Greg Davis as a mentor.
Now I’m not claiming I knew then and there he wouldn’t be a good HC, but in retrospect, it really seems like that should’ve shot off more warning signals in our heads than it did. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that didn't take long. Somebody pay me my share of that $9.95 goodness.

And please oh please Tom Herman draw a line in the sand with your boss that Applewhite is who you want.

What are you crowing about? Your post was their source!

The collapse of the defense last season was obviously a big red flag. Texas also obviously lucked it’s way to that record but instead of taking that information as indicative for what it was, people argued instead that Mensa had figured out to how to beat the advanced metrics. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Applewhite is a  more of the same.  Yurcich would be a great but I doubt OSU/Urban let him get away to Texas especially.  I keep thinking it is Lashlee but if so why haven't we announced him?  the only think I can think of is to make it look like a search and he wasn't just the fallback to harrell.

What are they going to do, moneywhip him into remaining in a position of shared responsibility that involves no play calling?  When he can be moneywhipped into being a full-fledged OC who does call plays?  Bah, if Texas/Herman wants him he can be had.

• Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kissing Players, and Powdered Eggs & Burnt Toast were my early "hmm moments"

Edited by LTtxfan
grammar sucks