2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

17 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think the get the shit out of here feeling is stronger for Herman than it was for Charlie. 

Charlie was a nice, likable guy whose whole personal brand was about having character and values and caring about his players and the men they would become. Even when the writing was on the wall that he was a failure here and his firing was a foregone conclusion, a lot of people's feeling was that they had liked him and it was a shame it didn't work out.

Nobody likes Herman. He's a cocky immature douchebag. And that's fine, I mean as far as we know he's not covering up rapes or anything too heinous, he's just kind of a dick. People are more than happy to put up with those qualities if he wins games. But if he's not winning, nobody is going to take a moment to feel sorry for him, it's just get out.

I personally think that as usual this board is being too reactionary in wanting to fire the guy already, this will all take care of itself. He did enough last year to not get fired over a 7-8 win season this year, next year he'll be on the hot seat and we'll see what happens and either we'll be trending in the right direction or he'll get fired and we can try our luck with someone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Charlie was a nice, likable guy whose whole personal brand was about having character and values and caring about his players and the men they would become. Even when the writing was on the wall that he was a failure here and his firing was a foregone conclusion, a lot of people's feeling was that they had liked him and it was a shame it didn't work out.

Nobody likes Herman. He's a cocky immature douchebag. And that's fine, I mean as far as we know he's not covering up rapes or anything too heinous, he's just kind of a dick. People are more than happy to put up with those qualities if he wins games. But if he's not winning, nobody is going to take a moment to feel sorry for him, it's just get out.

I personally think that as usual this board is being too reactionary in wanting to fire the guy already, this will all take care of itself. He did enough last year to not get fired over a 7-8 win season this year, next year he'll be on the hot seat and we'll see what happens and either we'll be trending in the right direction or he'll get fired and we can try our luck with someone else. 

How many times do we have to tell you, there's no fucking room for reason and rational thinking on this board--we're Surly, dammit!

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

WTF are you talking about here? Either Herman decided to fire those guys, or he’s such a shitty manager of people that he didn’t realize those guys had to go. Either way, it’s a total failure on Herman’s part, not the AD. 

Upgrading from Beck and Orlando the last two years is almost impossible not to do. I’m not Ash’s biggest fan, but he’s an obvious upgrade from Orlando. I think hiring Messingham should be a fireable offense in and of itself, yet he’s still an upgrade as an OC over Beck. 

I would think some BMDs are more to blame than CDC.  The narrative has somehow changed over the past few weeks from "Of course Herman was forced to change.  You think he did this?" to "Herman put himself here 100%."  And the change is based purely on the 'feels' for how the coordinator search is going.

That Orlando bit is 100% revisionist.  He will be paid more to be unemployed next year than any employed coordinator because we wanted to keep him.  That firing screams reactionary BMD involvement. 

Ash isn't an obvious upgrade, either.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Looking back, I don't think I'll ever understand how in the fuck 2018 happened. I think it confused everyone, from Sam Ehlinger to every poster on this board. Just bizarre.

I do find the declarations from people on this thread that "everyone on this board was fully in favor of Tom Herman this time last year" to be fucking stupid, for multiple reasons. 

1) Who gives a shit if everyone, using the data they had in front of them, drew conclusions that things were headed in the right direction? New shit comes to light. Only fucking idiots will stick to a prior position after new data invalidates their prior belief. It's called learning. Crowing that people here were bullish and now they aren't merely highlights your own idiocy. This is a fan board - no shit people were excited by 10 wins and a Sugar Bowl win. 

2) The absolutes like "everyone" and "completely" aren't true. We weren't all fired up by the hire. I know I was hopeful that Justin Fuente (not saying that was right either, clearly) would be the guy and I wasn't impressed with Herman in my own local and personal interactions with him in Houston, or specifically, the neighborhood we lived in. Multiple people questioned the guy's 2016 season, calling into the radio to argue with sports talk guys, and the speed in which he was being vaulted onto the national stage. Beyond that, what's the fucking problem with people deigning to get excited about a new hire? Especially after Chucklefuck took a giant dump on the program for 3 years. 

3) Predicting the future in anything is difficult. Does that invalidate everyone's current views, opinions and feelings? Does it make someone unwilling to take a position or espouse a view somehow superior? No. It makes them boring and bandwidth drain.

Thank you. This retarded meme that "everyone loved Tom last year after we had two great wins!!!1" is being posted repeatedly by the moron contingent of each UT board, as if it will shame the rest of us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

The DC hire totally fits with mensa's alignment. We are all just too dumb to see it.  Ash, dumpster fire. I mean, hellooooo. 

as does Beaty for OC if it might at all happen.  I could see him as the WR coach, if I recall he was a plus recruiter in DFW. wonder if Harrell wanted to pick his WR coach and herman is lining up WR coach for his BFF.

Just now, JBJ said:

I would think some BMDs are more to blame than CDC.  The narrative has somehow changed over the past few weeks from "Of course Herman was forced to change.  You think he did this?" to "Herman put himself here 100%."  And the change is based purely on the 'feels' for how the coordinator search is going.

That Orlando bit is 100% revisionist.  He will be paid more to be unemployed next year than any employed coordinator because we wanted to keep him.  That firing screams reactionary BMD involvement. 

Ash isn't an obvious upgrade, either.

Holy shit. So your argument was that Herman should’ve been able to keep people like Orlando, Beck, and Mehringer? And you think that unfairly halted recruiting momentum and put him in a position where he can’t find better coaches than them?  Jesus, that’s even dumber than what I thought you were trying to say. 

Either Herman decided to fire the coaches that were beyond needed or the AD/BMD forced him to. Either way, it was his fault for having such a shitty coaching staff at that point.  Those firings were absolutely necessary, regardless of who made the decision. 

You now trying to argue that those firings were unnecessary and are somehow hurting Herman/putting the program in a worse position than it was before then might be the most outlandish thing anyone’s posted in this entire thread. 

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Or basically what every other team does, however you choose to view it.

I guess I look at it as they hired him the second they could get past the state requirement for applicants. He has been walking the halls for months as an "analyst" so having him step in and lead now with 2 more weeks to go prior to bowl game seems to make sense as in his current analyst role he could have been teaching new concepts etc

Defense sucks regardless, sparing him some flack for a shit performance in the bowl game seems to be a meaningless consideration

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. So your argument was that Herman should’ve been able to keep people like Orlando, Beck, and Mehringer? And you think that unfairly halted recruiting momentum and put him in a position where he can’t find better coaches than them?  Jesus, that’s even dumber than what I thought you were trying to say. 

Either Herman decided to fire the coaches that were beyond needed or the AD/BMD forced him to. Either way, it was his fault for having such a shitty coaching staff at that point.  Those firings were absolutely necessary, regardless of who made the decision. 

You now trying to argue that those firings were unnecessary and are somehow hurting Herman/putting the program in a worse position than it was before then might be the most outlandish thing anyone’s posted in this entire thread. 

I dunno man, earlier he tried to argue that CDC has created an environment no head coach would want to work at because he forced Herman to make changes, but clearly he would have been viewed favorably by head coaching prospects by only giving Herman 3 years, instead of 4. 

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

dude....

we just went 7 and fucking 5 after coming into the year with playoff aspirations.  two of our biggest recruiting rivals are in the college football playoff while we're pretending like the alamo bowl has any sort of significance whatsoever.  herman had to basically fire every coach on the staff in response to this with apparently no plan whatsoever to replace them.  we're going into national signing day without and offensive fucking coordinator and losing important recruits because of it. 

...but you say we're melting down for no reason.  right.

That dude accusing us of melting down definitely doesn’t Jizz Orange

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Hasn’t this “fact” been refuted over and over on this board? 

Not always right but - quick Wikipedia search shows Chris Ash was an analyst for Horns after being terminated by Rutgers

In addition quick search of the intertrons shows repeated sources saying it looks like effectively mid October (19th or so) he was an analyst for the Horns.

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Not always right but - quick Wikipedia search shows Chris Ash was an analyst for Horns after being terminated by Rutgers

In addition quick search of the intertrons shows repeated sources saying it looks like effectively mid October (19th or so) he was an analyst for the Horns.

My argument is, I believe it’s been reported as like a one time thing, before the OU game or something, not the remainder of the season.

59 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think the get the shit out of here feeling is stronger for Herman than it was for Charlie. 

Charlie had the intangibles that required every criticism to be qualified ("he's a good man, but...", "I like him, although..."). TH had a nice record going into the OU game (14-4 since the Maryland game) and was recruiting at a high level, but the cratering afterward was horrific. His (apparent) personality issues and "privilege" have left him with less than zero support. No cdt's and Sweet Jones/Maybe a Coordinators out there for him, and the rest of us (me included) can go straight to the ad hominem attacks.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

My argument is, I believe it’s been reported as like a one time thing, before the OU game or something, not the remainder of the season.

Just like Ash was in his office in New Jersey instead of in Austin interviewing with Herman? I don't care how it was reported, or what it allegedly was, but Chris Ash has been around the program enough that players know him and don't really care for him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I thought was longer. Maybe instead of walking the halls it's been sleeping on Herman's couch. Either way he is not coming in cold.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just like Ash was in his office in New Jersey instead of in Austin interviewing with Herman? I don't care how it was reported, or what it allegedly was, but Chris Ash has been around the program enough that players know him and don't really care for him. 

Not arguing this, just the stupid idea of coaching the bowl game.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Looking back, I don't think I'll ever understand how in the fuck 2018 happened. I think it confused everyone, from Sam Ehlinger to every poster on this board. Just bizarre.

I do find the declarations from people on this thread that "everyone on this board was fully in favor of Tom Herman this time last year" to be fucking stupid, for multiple reasons. 

1) Who gives a shit if everyone, using the data they had in front of them, drew conclusions that things were headed in the right direction? New shit comes to light. Only fucking idiots will stick to a prior position after new data invalidates their prior belief. It's called learning. Crowing that people here were bullish and now they aren't merely highlights your own idiocy. This is a fan board - no shit people were excited by 10 wins and a Sugar Bowl win. 

2) The absolutes like "everyone" and "completely" aren't true. We weren't all fired up by the hire. I know I was hopeful that Justin Fuente (not saying that was right either, clearly) would be the guy and I wasn't impressed with Herman in my own local and personal interactions with him in Houston, or specifically, the neighborhood we lived in. Multiple people questioned the guy's 2016 season, calling into the radio to argue with sports talk guys, and the speed in which he was being vaulted onto the national stage. Beyond that, what's the fucking problem with people deigning to get excited about a new hire? Especially after Chucklefuck took a giant dump on the program for 3 years. 

3) Predicting the future in anything is difficult. Does that invalidate everyone's current views, opinions and feelings? Does it make someone unwilling to take a position or espouse a view somehow superior? No. It makes them boring and bandwidth drain.

My "back of the napkin" thought is the BIg 12 sucked donkey balls last year and as I was telling everyone in my office, Georgia/Fromm wasn't that good(BS on the didn't want to be there crap).  they play in the East which sucks donkey balls as well.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

My "back of the napkin" thought is the BIg 12 sucked donkey balls last year and as I was telling everyone in my office, Georgia/Fromm wasn't that good(BS on the didn't want to be there crap).  they play in the East which sucks donkey balls as well.

Georgia was good last year, they just ran a style of offense that Orlando has often had success against.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Chip Long's S&P+ Offense Ranking track record

Memphis 2015 (year before Chip): 35
Memphis 2016: 43
Memphis 2017 (year after Chip): 17

Notre Dame 2016 (year before Chip): 18
Notre Dame 2017: 19
Notre Dame 2018: 33
Notre Dame 2019: 21

In watching ND play, the offense was as boring as watching many of the monkeys on this board grasp at simple logic. Long's work was purely fucking ugly against decent opponents.

• Like 1

Texas EPA/play (garbage time excluded):

2017: offense (.081); defense (.010);

2018: offense (.216); defense (.173);

2019 offense (.284); defense (.216).

Consistent improvement from the offense, and a total collapse on defense.  Herman really needed to fire Orlando after 2018, but that obviously wasn't going to happen.  Herman may have been better off if Texas had been unlucky that season.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This might help...

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20191112/fired-rutgers-coach-chris-ash-reflects-on-struggles-at-school-after-leaving-ohio-state

Per this  Nov 12th article, Ash was only in Austin for a short time.  

Quote:  "Ash has spent the past six weeks with his wife, Doreen, and four children. He has traveled to different programs to observe how they run. One of them was Texas and fellow former Ohio State assistant Tom Herman, but contrary to reports, Ash isn’t working for the Longhorns.  Ash is financially secure, but he is eager to get back into coaching. He hopes to get a defensive coordinator job for next season in college football. If not, he’ll pursue an NFL job."

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Chip Long's S&P+ Offense Ranking track record

Memphis 2015 (year before Chip): 35
Memphis 2016: 43
Memphis 2017 (year after Chip): 17

Notre Dame 2016 (year before Chip): 18
Notre Dame 2017: 19
Notre Dame 2018: 33
Notre Dame 2019: 21

Notre Dame did struggle against good teams but I wonder how much that was because Kelly was interfering.  Kelly likes slow less risky offenses. 

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Texas EPA/play (garbage time excluded):

2017: offense (.081); defense (.010);

2018: offense (.216); defense (.173);

2019 offense (.284); defense (.216).

Consistent improvement from the offense, and a total collapse on defense.  Herman really needed to fire Orlando after 2018, but that obviously wasn't going to happen.  Herman may have been better off if Texas had been unlucky that season.

So you're telling me complete overhaul of defense is definitely needed, but the offense only needs improvements without a wholesale system change? Firing Meh and demoting Beck are all definitely needed changes and will definitely cause us to improve. If we could get a new OC that compliments Herman well we should be golden. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

So do we know anything or are we just headless chicken following other headless chicken masquerading as insiders for free and headless, clueless chicken that charge us for the pleasure?

Guess we could survive headless for up to 18 months..  😂

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 20, 1945 – March 17, 1947), also known as Miracle Mike, was a Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been cut off. Although the story was thought by many to be a hoax, the bird's owner took him to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City to establish the facts.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess we could survive headless for up to 18 months..  😂

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 20, 1945 – March 17, 1947), also known as Miracle Mike, was a Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been cut off. Although the story was thought by many to be a hoax, the bird's owner took him to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City to establish the facts.

Excellent. That should get us through the "will Herman be fired or not" nonsense we'll have to suffer the moment anything goes wrong over the course of the next year or so. Then we either know what will happen or we are blissfully released from our mortal coil.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

And you have to be a dipshit. Herman should have been fired this year, but he is what we have.

So then what is your insistence on saying the dumbest shit?? You really think Ash was only around for the OU game, only gave input for one game? I love how you act all high and mighty when it comes to people believing the validity of 9.95 reports but then believe some ridiculously stupid shit like that. 

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

So you're telling me complete overhaul of defense is definitely needed, but the offense only needs improvements without a wholesale system change? Firing Meh and demoting Beck are all definitely needed changes and will definitely cause us to improve. If we could get a new OC that compliments Herman well we should be golden. 

I think it would definitely be a good idea to bring in some new blood on offense as neither Herman nor Beck appear to be very innovative or creative in adapting their system to the talent on hand.  It's not an emergency though like the defense which will cost Herman his job next December if Ash isn't able to turn things around immediately.  Thankfully, there is quite a bit of talent for Ash to work with.