2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

32 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Am I the only one who isnt freaking out about losing a recruit? It happens every time a coaching change happens. I also think its weird to be panicked over 7/8 wins in year 3. I don't see it as a huge regression. 2018 was us being extremely lucky in all facets of the game, most importantly turnovers and injuries. In 2019 we were extremely unlucky. Its not like we had achieved dominance and then lost it. We lost games to 2 playoff teams, Rhule, Campbell and Patterson, with a young and extremely injured defense. We were never a playoff team no matter what this year. All the analysts "underestimating" Texas this year saying we were going to be mediocre were right because of obvious, measurable reasons. So why are people melting down? We will have a new defense and fresh eyes on offense. Our supposed stud WR recruits might actually do something now that Mehringer is gone.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Am I the only one who isnt freaking out about losing a recruit? It happens every time a coaching change happens. I also think its weird to be panicked over 7/8 wins in year 3. I don't see it as a huge regression. 2018 was us being extremely lucky in all facets of the game, most importantly turnovers and injuries. In 2019 we were extremely unlucky. Its not like we had achieved dominance and then lost it. We lost games to 2 playoff teams, Rhule, Campbell and Patterson, with a young and extremely injured defense. We were never a playoff team no matter what this year. All the analysts "underestimating" Texas this year saying we were going to be mediocre were right because of obvious, measurable reasons. So why are people melting down? We will have a new defense and fresh eyes on offense. Our supposed stud WR recruits might actually do something now that Mehringer is gone.

Well, we've had 6 decommits since the midpoint of the season. More than a quarter of the class. That's really bad. Granted, we've recruited well enough the two previous cycles that we don't need this one to be successful in 2020 and 2021, if we have a great class next year. 

That 'if' is the reason everyone is freaking out. Win the conference and we're off to the races, but that isn't looking likely. Herman has shown no capacity for self-evaluation. Without the changes we need, we win 7-9 next year and waste an outrageously talented 2021 recruiting class in Texas. I don't think I've seen you on the recruiting board, but it's a mistake to be so casual about recruiting losses. College football is an arms race. The elite prospects we lose next year will go to LSU, OU, Baylor, etc. and bite us in the ass later. And the guys from the 18 and 19 classes leave us. That's how you get stuck in mediocrity.

Even just looking at the 6 guys we lost this cycle, statistically, would have turned out to be something like 1 star, 1 solid starter, and a couple solid rotation guys. Some of them were unavoidable, but Johnston wasn't. Herman just needed to make a hire in two weeks and we probably hang on. Instead, we're literally at square one for our offensive staff, 16 days later, except now the pool of available coaches has shrunk significantly because every other school has approached their vacancies with the sense of urgency that should be expected.

• Like 4

I like the positive outlook from the past few posts. I know losing 6 recruits isn’t great but really all that matters is bijan(and jqj/Broughton). If we get the top running back in the country to pair with Sam and Ingram, I think things will be just fine. Add that to any improvement on the defense plus prayers that we stay somewhat healthy, we should be on the up and up. Bijan is going to be special. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well, we've had 6 decommits since the midpoint of the season. More than a quarter of the class. That's really bad. Granted, we've recruited well enough the two previous cycles that we don't need this one to be successful in 2020 and 2021, if we have a great class next year. 

That 'if' is the reason everyone is freaking out. Win the conference and we're off to the races, but that isn't looking likely. Herman has shown no capacity for self-evaluation. Without the changes we need, we win 7-9 next year and waste an outrageously talented 2021 recruiting class in Texas. I don't think I've seen you on the recruiting board, but it's a mistake to be so casual about recruiting losses. College football is an arms race. The elite prospects we lose next year will go to LSU, OU, Baylor, etc. and bite us in the ass later. And the guys from the 18 and 19 classes leave us. That's how you get stuck in mediocrity.

Even just looking at the 6 guys we lost this cycle, statistically, would have turned out to be something like 1 star, 1 solid starter, and a couple solid rotation guys. Some of them were unavoidable, but Johnston wasn't. Herman just needed to make a hire in two weeks and we probably hang on. Instead, we're literally at square one for our offensive staff, 16 days later, except now the pool of available coaches has shrunk significantly because every other school has approached their vacancies with the sense of urgency that should be expected.

To me, the only conceivable silver lining (if there even is one) to TH not having announced his OC in an attempt to keep the class together is if he finally announces a really, really good surprise OC who couldn't be outed publicly because his current team is in the playoffs, NY6 bowl, NFL, monetary contract milestone, etc. One of the foregoing is the only scenario under which TH looks even slightly competent. Do I have faith this will happen? No. Are we fucked? Probably. Does hope spring eternal? I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit. So your argument was that Herman should’ve been able to keep people like Orlando, Beck, and Mehringer? And you think that unfairly halted recruiting momentum and put him in a position where he can’t find better coaches than them?  Jesus, that’s even dumber than what I thought you were trying to say. 

Either Herman decided to fire the coaches that were beyond needed or the AD/BMD forced him to. Either way, it was his fault for having such a shitty coaching staff at that point.  Those firings were absolutely necessary, regardless of who made the decision. 

You now trying to argue that those firings were unnecessary and are somehow hurting Herman/putting the program in a worse position than it was before then might be the most outlandish thing anyone’s posted in this entire thread. 

What I'm saying is Beck and the WR coaches could have been let go at any point the past two seasons.   This is not a point of disagreement. I don't think upgrading those spots are difficult or at least trying someone unproven but new.  Beck was effectively already demoted.

I would have bounced the WR coaches and hired an OLB coach.  Last year.

I could be convinced on Orlando either way.  There were many reasons to be pessimistic about the defense going into the season and injuries got so bad it deleted entire sections of the playbook.  Excuses could be made that are plausible if not obvious, but I also found Orlando to be frustratingly not Orlando from the previous two seasons with his packages and playcalling.

I don't hate Ash and am probably more hopeful about him than the other plausible candidate, Odom.

Pretty much the quote below, we were clearly in a rebuilding year, lost a game that we shouldn't have, but also didn't beat any teams that we weren't expected to, and struggled in some wins.  Honestly, the last part of that is the worst part.

But way this all went down makes it seem like a panic move - not like shit was mildly-to-mediumly disappointing and we think we can upgrade.  But maybe it's just that I'm spending too much time on this thread.

40 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I like the positive outlook from the past few posts. I know losing 6 recruits isn’t great but really all that matters is bijan(and jqj/Broughton). If we get the top running back in the country to pair with Sam and Ingram, I think things will be just fine. Add that to any improvement on the defense plus prayers that we stay somewhat healthy, we should be on the up and up. Bijan is going to be special. 

And a hopefully healthy Whittington.

1 hour ago, Gigglebush said:

Well geez wizz guys winning is hard! Maybe next year just like every year before it for the last decade. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

We could add no freshman and be "fine" next year from player development alone.

Recruiting is about being "fine" 3 and 4 years down the road, when everyone you know and love is gone.

2 hours ago, Cap Hooked said:

So then what is your insistence on saying the dumbest shit?? You really think Ash was only around for the OU game, only gave input for one game? I love how you act all high and mighty when it comes to people believing the validity of 9.95 reports but then believe some ridiculously stupid shit like that. 

Without twisting my words, what dumbest shit are referring to? Quotes would be nice so I can explain myself or agree with you. What’s more ridiculous, believing multiple reports of his limited role or believing he heavily involved in Orlando’s offense and therefore a big part of its failure? Maybe we should trust only Wikipedia, who anyone can edit?

I get it, your panties are in a bunch and you want to cry about everything that has touched the program, but, we don’t all share your complete pessimistic view. 

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I said it a few weeks back Major makes sense, to Mensa.  Is he the best OC out there? No.  Is he the best option available? Arguable.  Is he the best option for Herman to run HIS offense and have "alignment", yes.  

It’s been implied that legal issues associated with his prior coaching stint here will prevent this from ever happening.

2 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

A recruit? No. Several becomes an issue. Especially when the latest is a consensus top-100 guy, top ten in the state, etc. who just committed to a school he just watched completely waste Jalen Reagor. He saw that and decided it was a better idea than coming here. The class is also down to one CB. Just took a JAG backup plan at DL. Not to mention the recruits that have been lost that weren't committed but were considering Texas. Alfred Collins is gone. This is shaping up to be slightly better than a transition class with an actual transition class on the horizon next year, which is a loaded in-state class. That will set the program back.

Edit: I also take issue with the "unlucky" bit. Which of Texas's losses wasn't either a.) Being totally outclassed; or b.) self-inflicted?

Edited by gmr548

Just now, gmr548 said:

This is shaping up to be slightly better than a transition class with an actual transition class on the horizon next year, which is a loaded in-state class. That will set the program back.

I think if the board reaches consensus on this, it almost assures that something completely different and unexpected will happen. Like Sam is going to win the Heisman or something.

I said it a few weeks back Major makes sense, to Mensa.  Is he the best OC out there? No.  Is he the best option available? Arguable.  Is he the best option for Herman to run HIS offense and have "alignment", yes.  

If we perform a nationwide, blank check coordinator search, lose recruits due to a prolonged process, and end up announcing we've landed on Chris Ash and Major fucking Applewhite...just fuck everything.

247 / Tom Loy (ND Mod) / On Chip Long ...

I wanted to stop by and let you guys know that I've been told without a doubt that Texas is very interested in former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chip Long and there is plenty of mutual interest as well. I think it would be a terrific hire for the Longhorns. Sure, he's a tough coach, but one that gets results from his players.

Rest of it:

Spoiler

What's up guys. Tom Loy from our Notre Dame 247Sports site over at Irish Illustrated.

I wanted to stop by and let you guys know that I've been told without a doubt that Texas is very interested in former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chip Long and there is plenty of mutual interest as well. I think it would be a terrific hire for the Longhorns. Sure, he's a tough coach, but one that gets results from his players.

Just some background info on Long, he clearly knows what he's doing, as he led the Notre Dame offense to a program record for points in a regular season with 445, which equates to 37.1 points per game. The offense was, let's just say not all that enjoyable to watch before Long's arrival. There were a lack of playmakers, the offense was somewhat stale, and they struggled moving the ball. In addition, when looking at identifying successful players or making the tough calls, it was Long that pushed to make the change at quarteback from Brandon Wimbush to Ian Book after the 3-0 start last year just to kickstart the offense. Book went on to a stellar season, the passing game flourished, and he led the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 record before the playoff loss to Clemson.

Also, Long recruited his tail off for Notre Dame this cycle (and in the past) and his results can’t be denied, as he is currently listed at No. 7 overall in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the class of 2020. His recruiting chops shined this cycle and Notre Dame will benefit from his work over the past year. Long was extremely impactful and the primary recruiter for five-star running back Chris Tyree, who was at one point going to go to Oklahoma. Long and running backs coach Lance Taylor teamed up to get that done and flip things back in Notre Dame's favor. He landed arguably the nation’s No. 1 tight end Michael Mayer and secured a pledge from talented four-star tight end Kevin Bauman when the two were once listed No. 1 and No. 2 in the early rankings at 247Sports. He landed one of the most underrated wide receiver prospects this cycle in Xavier Watts, who 247Sports lists as a four-star recruit compared to a three-star on the composite rankings. He also played a big role as a secondary recruiter for other commits such as four-star wide receiver Jordan Johnson, four-star offensive tackles Tosh Baker and Michael Carmody, and four-star quarterback Drew Pyne.

It'll be interesting to see what Texas does on this front, but I know for sure that there is plenty of mutual interest here and it's something to keep an eye.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wow, Chip Long sounds great!  I bet Notre Dame is really sad that they just fucking fired him.  

Maybe he got tired of working for the current prick at ND, and wants to work for a different prick. Hell, Orgeron ran Canada off after a season because neither could stand each other. Saban routinely runs off quality assistants because he is a prick. I don't really care either way because Herman's got a year to prove it, or he's fired I could care less who he chooses to go into battle with in his prove it year.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe he got tired of working for the current prick at ND, and wants to work for a different prick. Hell, Orgeron ran Canada off after a season because neither could stand each other. Saban routinely runs off quality assistants because he is a prick. I don't really care either way because Herman's got a year to prove it, or he's fired I could care less who he chooses to go into battle with in his prove it year.

“couldn’t”

19 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 / Tom Loy (ND Mod) / On Chip Long ...

Rest of it:

Reveal hidden contents

What's up guys. Tom Loy from our Notre Dame 247Sports site over at Irish Illustrated.

Just some background info on Long, he clearly knows what he's doing, as he led the Notre Dame offense to a program record for points in a regular season with 445, which equates to 37.1 points per game. The offense was, let's just say not all that enjoyable to watch before Long's arrival. There were a lack of playmakers, the offense was somewhat stale, and they struggled moving the ball. In addition, when looking at identifying successful players or making the tough calls, it was Long that pushed to make the change at quarteback from Brandon Wimbush to Ian Book after the 3-0 start last year just to kickstart the offense. Book went on to a stellar season, the passing game flourished, and he led the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 record before the playoff loss to Clemson.

Also, Long recruited his tail off for Notre Dame this cycle (and in the past) and his results can’t be denied, as he is currently listed at No. 7 overall in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the class of 2020. His recruiting chops shined this cycle and Notre Dame will benefit from his work over the past year. Long was extremely impactful and the primary recruiter for five-star running back Chris Tyree, who was at one point going to go to Oklahoma. Long and running backs coach Lance Taylor teamed up to get that done and flip things back in Notre Dame's favor. He landed arguably the nation’s No. 1 tight end Michael Mayer and secured a pledge from talented four-star tight end Kevin Bauman when the two were once listed No. 1 and No. 2 in the early rankings at 247Sports. He landed one of the most underrated wide receiver prospects this cycle in Xavier Watts, who 247Sports lists as a four-star recruit compared to a three-star on the composite rankings. He also played a big role as a secondary recruiter for other commits such as four-star wide receiver Jordan Johnson, four-star offensive tackles Tosh Baker and Michael Carmody, and four-star quarterback Drew Pyne.

It'll be interesting to see what Texas does on this front, but I know for sure that there is plenty of mutual interest here and it's something to keep an eye.

Awesome. If there’s one thing this program needs, it’s another asshole in the building. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1