2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

29 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11306945

Edited to add:  But seriously, that was how I read that small snippet that was posted.  Have no idea the full context of Nahlin's other thoughts.  Was just responding to that post, which seemed to offer some support for Ash's ability to teach as a DC, regardless of the conference.

Image result for i have no idea what i'm doing gif dog space

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i think he's questioning whether IF the first statement is true whether he would be given the autonomy to make another drinking buddy, Rutgers reject comfort hire.

I think if you separate our views from the landscape of the process, it makes perfect sense. We're viewing it as a drinking buddy thing. In reality, Herman could be simply offering "I won a title with this guy as my defensive counterpart. He's as good as there is out there and he fell into our lap. Let me let him get to work." While we think we know better, a superior in that situation, cheering for his subordinate and supposed breadwinner, wants to give him what he needs to turn things around. On paper, Ash isn't going to look much worse than many other guys mentioned here. It's the proximity to Fuckface that has many of us with the heebie-jeebies. 

I feel like the BBS community always makes the coaching world more exotic than it is. These are just mildly intelligent humans, at best, with often stunted emotional psyches, trying to do the same shit we all see every day in the working world if we're above entry level. Guys on the boards have turned many of these characters, such as Del Conte, into cartoon characters or Michael Scott and company.

• Like 1

CDC doesn't like 3 years and you're out for better and for worse.  I think that is what is Herman's saving grace this season.  He's being given just enough rope to hang himself next year though if he fucks up another round of hires, which is probably going to happen.  I think CTJ called it when Herman was hired that his personality was going to mean he would either win or wear out his welcome in a hurry and that he would be easy to get rid of if things went south.  That seems like a damn good prediction right now.

Edited by kevwun

Probably because they're going to give him enough rope to hang himself with, and in Herman's case it will be David Carradine style. Herman's a narcissistic prick, but he's also done quite a few things good at Texas (recruiting, evaluation, S&C). Firing him after 3 seasons, 1 year after a Sugar Bowl victory is a bad look, and no one's going to do that. So what's the next best thing? You make your POS head coach sink or swim, literally. Either he'll figure out his flaws and fix it, or he'll continue to self destruct in cataclysmic fashion, make the decision to fire him easy, and hopefully CDC spends the next fall vetting replacements in time for the opening of the SEZ, which may or may not come with a shiny new coach that has been properly researched and vetted, and a inheriting a talented roster. 

Or Herman shoots the moon and we open the SEZ coming off a playoff appearance in 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

But if he can teach our defense to line up, play assignment sound, and tackle, we will be a top 25 defense year in and year out.

Maybe if he has a little extra time at practice, he can teach the DBs to look for the ball and maybe even make a play on it???  Just spitballing here....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think if you separate our views from the landscape of the process, it makes perfect sense. We're viewing it as a drinking buddy thing. In reality, Herman could be simply offering "I won a title with this guy as my defensive counterpart. He's as good as there is out there and he fell into our lap. Let me let him get to work." While we think we know better, a superior in that situation, cheering for his subordinate and supposed breadwinner, wants to give him what he needs to turn things around. On paper, Ash isn't going to look much worse than many other guys mentioned here. It's the proximity to Fuckface that has many of us with the heebie-jeebies. 

I feel like the BBS community always makes the coaching world more exotic than it is. These are just mildly intelligent humans, at best, with often stunted emotional psyches, trying to do the same shit we all see every day in the working world if we're above entry level. Guys on the boards have turned many of these characters, such as Del Conte, into cartoon characters or Michael Scott and company.

You're absolutely right.  Add that to the fact that Herman anticipates being forced to bring in someone he doesn't know as OC and merge his offense with theirs, it makes sense that Herman wants a known quantity that he trusts and knows how to work with running the side of the ball that he's weak on.  And it could work, it just isn't sexy.  

2 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:
Friend of mine from the Boston Herald said that Steve Belichek wants to be the college version of his dad and doesn't want to live in his shadow in the NFL. His wife is from Round Rock and he and Tom Herman have been friends for 10+ years. Would be a logical starting point as he builds more college connections and a reputation. Only concern is ability to recruit.

so when I call Bergstrom, do I ask to page Mr. Belichick, or Coach Belichick?

• Odom seems like he would go back and coach with Fuentes
  • Scalley reportedly said no thanks
  • Lake just became Head Coach at Washington
  • Ash is too much of a comfort hire for Surly
  • Heacock ISU DC is a few of Surly's Hot Choice
  • Steele folks watching flight trackers 
  • Belichick (Steve)  Surly loves great hair

Any more good DC candidates for Texas from all the experts here??   😁 

Edited by LTtxfan

Next year, if Herman either excels or crashes, that outcome could decide his fate. 

But what if he repeats 2018?  No conf. championship or contending for a national title, but a couple of good wins, a decent bowl and a 10+ win season?  And the perception of substantial improvement from a 7-6 or 6-7 season?

In that scenario, I don't see Del Conte firing him.  

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Next year, if Herman either excels or crashes, that outcome could decide his fate. 

But what if he repeats 2018?  No conf. championship or contending for a national title, but a couple of good wins, a decent bowl and a 10+ win season?  And the perception of substantial improvement from a 7-6 or 6-7 season?

the big lebowski dude GIF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Yeah there is no way he has a playoff or bust benchmark.  I'd say 9+ wins and he's safe. 

When someone develops a viewpoint of a public figure based upon what they see and hear on tv or in the news, I always caution them that you never know what that person is really like in real life. Tom Hanks could be a complete dickhead for all we know.

When Herman was hired I supported it with one significant reservation. There was quite a bit of public information out there that indicated he was a thin-skinned immature prick. I am still amazed that he appears to be even worse in real life than his public image and still passed the vetting process at Texas. He appears to be a horrible manager. Mind bottling.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So in this scenario Above,  we’re 9-3 And win the bowl game. 

I’d take that right now vs letting ‘20 play out, Losses would be OU, @OSU and @lsu I presume. 

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah there is no way he has a playoff or bust benchmark.  I'd say 9+ wins and he's safe. 

I think it has to be a relatively drama free year too, in which at least we show upside. We need to soundly beat every team we're expected to and show real competence. Squeezing by inferior competition isn't going to do it. CDC knows, as does every single fan, the signs of a healthy program--execution in all three phases, trouncing inferior opponents, competing squarely against equals and betters, and happiness of players. If we don't see these, I think CDC would be willing to move on, even with a 9 win season. 

It seems fairly well established that TH is a dick that not many people like. He certainly doesn't exude the kind of charisma that usually goes along with being at the head of a major FBS program, which, as we all know, is as much politician and leader as it is management and football IQ. I bet CDC recognizes the inherent weakness involved in keeping an unlikeable, technocrat coach at Texas. And if there isn't dramatic improvement, not only in record but in eye-test, we could see a change. 

12 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

I bet CDC recognizes the inherent weakness involved in keeping an unlikeable, technocrat coach at Texas. And if there isn't dramatic improvement, not only in record but in eye-test, we could see a change. 

This is the line of thinking I cannot buy. I cannot buy that CDC realizes all of this (unlikeable technocrat). Also realizes that Herman won't fire his own guys; Realizes that Herman may just hire another one of his guys.

Basically CDC and everyone over there realize that Tom Herman is not the answer, "but let's give him another year to prove that we're right." Wha?

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, UncleBuck said:

This is the line of thinking I cannot buy. I cannot buy that CDC realizes all of this. Realizes that Herman won't fire his own guys; Realizes that Herman may just hire another one of his guys.

Basically CDC and everyone over there realize that Tom Herman is not the answer, "but let's give him another year to prove that we're right." Wha?

Terrified of ending up like Tennessee is my guess as to why Texas is going to give Herman one more year.

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is the line of thinking I cannot buy. I cannot buy that CDC realizes all of this (unlikeable technocrat). Also realizes that Herman won't fire his own guys; Realizes that Herman may just hire another one of his guys.

I can buy it. For one, there's the possibility of growing up on the job. Being able to fire your friends and hand-picked colleagues equates to one such step. If he $#@!s up this next round of hires, it's over. Second, the money. TH will make $6.5 million in 2022 and $6.75 million in 2023. I don't think UT wants to be the kind of school like A&M that is willing to go to (extra) absurd degrees to pay coaches or to be on the hook for heaps of dead money. It's just not a good look for the flagship university, which holds itself in high regard and is expected to be a lot of things to a lot of people. 

He gets one last chance to get it. And if he fails, it's over. 

Edited by Nowhichski

I don't see how Ash could really be in consideration. Dude is toxic.

"Rutgers football fans and alumni deserve the apology, because the episode crystallizes everything wrong with Ash — and illuminates what Hobbs must do next. Ash came into town thinking he knew everything. In fact he knew nothing, because he possessed zero ties to New Jersey and had zero experience running a college football team.

Instead of approaching the job with an open mind because of these obvious resume gaps, Ash came east dripping with hubris. The result was a tenure that produced consistently embarrassing results despite unprecedented resources pouring into the program. Although it’s un-Rutgers like to fire a coach midseason absent a scandal, Hobbs had no choice. Ash’s ineptitude was overshadowing the many good things happening on the banks — ranked teams in women’s soccer, men’s soccer and field hockey, a powerhouse wrestling program, improving men’s hoops and state-of-the-art facilities rising left and right.

"https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/09/29/rutgers-football-why-chris-ash-failed-and-what-pat-hobbs-should-learn-for-the-next-hire/3813549002/

Edited by Nowhichski

I think it's pretty fucking funny how many people are caught up on the fact that Herman's an asshole.

Of course he's an asshole.  Most coaches are.

The problem is, he's an asshole who's not winning 11 games a year. We need to keep these things straight.

(BTW, even a coach winning 11 games a year should not fucking hire Casey Fucking Horny. But that's a whole other subject.)

• Like 5