2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Tom’s scheme is not inept. Tom and his staff have been inept. Sam has always struggled throwing over the middle and so did Shane when Giblets was here.

I have to disagree on the Ehlinger part. He looked absolutely terrific against LSU on crossing routes and over the middle throws. Watch the highlights of that game to remember some of the throws he made that night.

Without a deep dive into all-22 angles that I don't have, it seemed like the failure to go over the middle later in the season was based on play design more than Ehlinger. I only watched the Tech game live and while Ehlinger certainly has some limitations with field vision, we simply didn't have many guys running routes that attacked that part of the field.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  the talent is here on campus - we didn't/don't have the coaches who can develop it.   If Herman can hire a legitimate staff of proven coaches - this could turn around quickly.  He's got the backing and cash from his AD to do it - can he keep his own ego in check?

No. He can't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Riley doesn't belong in the same sentence as Saban or Dabo. It's not like he's following a legend that has won multiple national championships. He'd be following a guy that coached transfer QBs extremely well, lost one game he shouldn't have every year, and got whipped in the playoffs. 

He'd be following a guy that wasn't fired. He'd be going to a program that made the playoffs two years in a row and maybe a third. This has nothing to do with legacy.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I have to disagree on the Ehlinger part. He looked absolutely terrific against LSU on crossing routes and over the middle throws. Watch the highlights of that game to remember some of the throws he made that night.

Without a deep dive into all-22 angles that I don't have, it seemed like the failure to go over the middle later in the season was based on play design more than Ehlinger. I only watched the Tech game live and while Ehlinger certainly has some limitations with field vision, we simply didn't have many guys running routes that attacked that part of the field.

He was kinda inconsistent. From the memory bank, over the middle throws in the 10+ range, outs around 10+, he'd sail 'em or skip 'em more often than you'd like, though he'd hit his fair share. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree, regarding the LSU game. I was shocked at his development. However, Sam seemed to regress throughout the season, for whatever reason, and his crossing route timing was off. I was live for the WV game and Sam was noticeably not playing with the same confidence and precision from then on.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is from spurstalk.

The Football Brainiacs re-emphasized today that a Chris Ash hiring would mean Herman missed on a handful of other candidates.

One guy that has been contacted is Mizzou DC Ryan Walters.

Here's an interesting article on him from earlier this season, before Missouri turned into a pile of suck:

https://www.examiner.net/sports/20191004/rising-up-ranks-walters-leads-mizzous-defensive-resurgence

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I agree, regarding the LSU game. I was shocked at his development. However, Sam seemed to regress throughout the season, for whatever reason, and his crossing route timing was off. I was live for the WV game and Sam was noticeably not playing with the same confidence and precision from then on.

I think during that middle stretch in particular it looked like he was limited and I think there were reports to that effect (ribs).   But I certainly don't think that's an excuse for the offense as a whole.   Sam didn't play as well but he also wasn't helped by his OL, receivers at times (outside of Duv) or play calling/design.   It was just an absolute fail across the board in 4 of our 5 losses.

• Like 1

cool. now that this point has been made roughly 75 times on this thread alone, can we refrain from posts that are nothing but pussy-wringing? Yes, this is depressing. You don't have confidence Herman will do the right thing. We get it. 

Honestly pussy-wringing post are better than the optimistic ignorant post. Cause realism > false expectations
  • Like 2

Just now, gmr548 said:

That's because your definition of spread offense appears not to match what the term actually means.

I guess so, but i think I agree with Huckleberry that the term has lost some meaning at this point. Whatever offense it is that Oklahoma State runs I want that one. Instead of a slow paced, inflexible, unimaginative one, lacking aggressiveness or innovation - you know, Tom Herman's Offense

It was only a few years ago that the trend of hiring sub-40 year olds to coordinator or coaching positions started-McCray, Green Bay, bungles, Minnesota oc(?), etc. Before last year, I don’t think many people had even heard of j. Brady. Anyone know of any young nfl coordinators that we could take a look at? I doubt an OC would go from the nfl to Texas for the same job but I’m assuming there has to be someone similar to Brady out there. 

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is from spurstalk.

The Football Brainiacs re-emphasized today that a Chris Ash hiring would mean Herman missed on a handful of other candidates.

Interesting name.  Missouri stats look good at first glance.  14th overall in total defense for the year. 

Once common opponent in West Virginia and they held them to 171 total yards compared to 463 for Texas.  Texas did force 4 turnovers compared to 2 for Missouri.

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is from spurstalk.

Missouri ranked 34th in DFEI (Texas ranked 60th). No apparent ties to Texas but LA connections could help for recruiting, even though we'd still be at sizable disadvantage in the region.

Seems like a decent pick. Anything I'm missing?

• Like 1

This is from spurstalk.

Here's an interesting article on him from earlier this season, before Missouri turned into a pile of suck:
https://www.examiner.net/sports/20191004/rising-up-ranks-walters-leads-mizzous-defensive-resurgence

I won't pretend to know anything about Mizzou other than that their 2017 team we played in the bowl was fucking terrible.

Their defense appears to have improved after Odom handed him the reins, at least from a surface level glance. Who knows if that was specifically his coaching or neutral progression of players in their system. Still, with him having worked under Odom for a while, it's a little odd to skip over him for his protoge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't think TB has any insight into the staff or Belmont, or at least not enough to definitively say that Herman absolutely is after a handful of options at defensive coordinator. So Herman whiffed on Scalley, that's one. I'd really like to know who the other contenders are on their list that Herman has ranked above Ash. Because if the "list" is a pile of guys not going anywhere, and it was obvious they weren't going anywhere from the start (Kevin Steele, Scalley, Heacock) then that's what we call a fucking fait accompli of the highest order, and it's disingenuous reporting on their part. 

You know, like Charlie insisting that Shawn Watson wasn't really going to be the OC or calling plays after Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman told him to pound sound. Except, ironically, I think there's a least a shot that those guys might have had interest until they actually spoke to Strong and realized he was a moron. But the guys listed above don't likely even need to have a conversation. 

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Oh shit, there's been three people agreeing to something nice about a candidate no one had been talking about before! It's happening! We're hiring him!

I mean, this should do it for everyone, really:

“Really his play-calling is on an elite level,” Missouri defensive lineman Jordan Elliott said of Walters. “When he sees formations and things like that, he is always spot-on. We have a lot of calls, but at the same time you can kind of compartmentalize them and put them together, but a lot of the plays are the same thing. It’s easy for us to get the calls in, and fast. He knows everything in his head. That’s how simple it is, but effective.”

Bring Back Brick! Bring Back Brick!

• Haha 1

Super K at TFB reports that the source that indicated Orlando would be fired expects the while defensive staff gone, and that they are targeting "big name position coaches," including the Ohio State DL coach, who worked with Ash while he was there.

Also reported in notes dated yesterday that Ash isn't a foregone conclusion, that Herman is looking to poach a successful DC, and that the DC would device who stays/goes.

$9.95 please

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think TB has any insight into the staff or Belmont, or at least not enough to definitively say that Herman absolutely is after a handful of options at defensive coordinator. So Herman whiffed on Scalley, that's one. I'd really like to know who the other contenders are on their list that Herman has ranked above Ash. Because if the "list" is a pile of guys not going anywhere, and it was obvious they weren't going anywhere from the start (Kevin Steele, Scalley, Heacock) then that's what we call a fucking fait accompli of the highest order, and it's disingenuous reporting on their part. 

You know, like Charlie insisting that Shawn Watson wasn't really going to be the OC or calling plays after Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman told him to pound sound. Except, ironically, I think there's a least a shot that those guys might have had interest until they actually spoke to Strong and realized he was a moron. But the guys listed above don't likely even need to have a conversation. 

Why is Heacock in the ‘not likely to leave’ category?  He’s not an Iowa St lifer or alum. He’s an older guy - but he’s making well under a million a year at Iowa St. and might be looking for one last contract before retirement. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The loss of Johnson on the outside was huge. He demanded a double team on the outside, freeing Duvernay and Smith over the middle. Without him, teams could double Duvernay and take him away. Eagles wasn't ready to take over Johnson, and I'm still laughing that Epps is still on this team as a WR. Not too mention, teams rightly started noticing our tendencies on down and distance, and started running Duvernay's routes for him. So basically in 11 personnel you could concentrate solely on Duvernay. The TE was never thrown to, they must have been 5th in progressions more often that not. You could jam both Eagles and Epps at the LOS and watch them do nothing. Then just double Duvernay and the RB. After that you had stone hands Burt and a bunch of freshmen.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Super K at TFB reports that the source that indicated Orlando would be fired expects the while defensive staff gone, and that they are targeting "big name position coaches," including the Ohio State DL coach, who worked with Ash while he was there.

Also reported in notes dated yesterday that Ash isn't a foregone conclusion, that Herman is looking to poach a successful DC, and that the DC would device who stays/goes.

$9.95 please

Someone who Herman has previously coached with.  Who could have seen this coming?

(He does have an impressive resume, at least.)

Edited by Chuckie Finster

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The loss of Johnson on the outside was huge. He demanded a double team on the outside, freeing Duvernay and Smith over the middle. Without him, teams could double Duvernay and take him away. Eagles wasn't ready to take over Johnson, and I'm still laughing that Epps is still on this team as a WR. Not too mention, teams rightly started noticing our tendencies on down and distance, and started running Duvernay's routes for him. So basically in 11 personnel you could concentrate solely on Duvernay. The TE was never thrown to, they must have been 5th in progressions more often that not. You could jam both Eagles and Epps at the LOS and watch them do nothing. Then just double Duvernay and the RB. After that you had stone hands Burt and a bunch of freshmen.

I'm still trying to figure out how The University of Texas cannot find a TE that can either catch OR block.

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm still trying to figure out how The University of Texas cannot find a TE that can either catch OR block.

I hear it’s because one of the TVs in the locker room has a glitch, causing it to show the Blaine Irby injury every time  a TE recruit or family member walks by.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Someone who Herman has previously coached with.  Who could have seen this coming?

(He does have an impressive resume, at least.)

This is ridiculous; Larry Johnson is probably the best DL coach in the country. In recent years, Johnson coached Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, and Chase Young. That's 3 top 3 picks in 5 years.

As a result, you won't have to worry about Herman hiring someone else that he's coached with because there's essentially no chance in hell that Johnson comes to Texas. He's listed as an "Assistant Head Coach" for Ohio State and he's coached at 2 schools in the past 20 years. Does this seem like the type of guy who would come join Herman's sinking ship?

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Super K at TFB reports that the source that indicated Orlando would be fired expects the while defensive staff gone, and that they are targeting "big name position coaches," including the Ohio State DL coach, who worked with Ash while he was there.   Also reported in notes dated yesterday that Ash isn't a foregone conclusion, that Herman is looking to poach a successful DC, and that the DC would device who stays/goes.       $9.95 please

You'll Get Nothing and Like It...

9 minutes ago, Right53VeerPass said:

This is ridiculous; Larry Johnson is probably the best DL coach in the country. In recent years, Johnson coached Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, and Chase Young. That's 3 top 3 picks in 5 years.

As a result, you won't have to worry about Herman hiring someone else that he's coached with because there's essentially no chance in hell that Johnson comes to Texas. He's listed as an "Assistant Head Coach" for Ohio State and he's coached at 2 schools in the past 20 years. Does this seem like the type of guy who would come join Herman's sinking ship?

It was a terrible attempt at sarcasm on my part.