2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If CDC doesn't do the right thing and fire Tom, and Tom doesn't hire a Morris or another big named OC Tom would do well to hire Applewhite.  I know some would not like that hire but it worked well at tOSU and Houston.  Not to mention Major has been at Bama picking up a few more pointers on how to run a program.  Unlike a big name who would be worried about only being a one year gig I think Major is in a position to accept and would be worlds better than Beck.    

No no no no no no, god no, no no no 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If CDC doesn't do the right thing and fire Tom, and Tom doesn't hire a Morris or another big named OC Tom would do well to hire Applewhite.  I know some would not like that hire but it worked well at tOSU and Houston.  Not to mention Major has been at Bama picking up a few more pointers on how to run a program.  Unlike a big name who would be worried about only being a one year gig I think Major is in a position to accept and would be worlds better than Beck.    

We can have a bonus in Applewhite's contract that if they win on Saturday we will send him first class to Nuevo Laredo on Sundays. That way he can hookup with gorditas and not get the school sued.

The OC hire should be someone outside TH tree.. One that won't let Herman hijack the play calling.. Major is a yes man just like Beck.. And what exactly makes y'all think major would be a huge improvement.. He didn't exactly kill it the last season with Tom or his HC stint. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

The OC hire should be someone outside TH tree.. One that won't let Herman hijack the play calling.. Major is a yes man just like Beck.. And what exactly makes y'all think major would be a huge improvement.. He didn't exactly kill it the last season with Tom or his HC stint. 

Being a good OC doesn't translate to being a good HC.  Tom was a great OC.  He is not a great HC.  He was good at Houston, imo, because he had a solid OC, one outstanding defensive player and G5.  Again, Major is not the guy that left here a few years back.  Add to that that he's been a HC.  I'd trust he now knows when and how to push back.  He's from the MB, not TH, coaching tree.

Edited by RollLeft

Staff changes will 100% determine season ticket renewal for me. There is no one on this staff that has earned the right to be here next year. Fuck continuity. 

I don’t want Herman here but I don’t see CDC pulling trigger. If Herman lets go of say Beck and promotes Meh to OC the program can do without my $. Same as if he releases Orlando and promotes Naivar. 

Every position group has regressed. I’m disgusted watching this shit team play shit football being coached by shit coaches. 

Of course I’m a glutton for punishment and in all likelihood I’ll be in my seats at Tech game. 

Fuck these guys. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I really like listening to Rod.  He does his homework each week and his analysis is spot on.  He also constantly brings up points that this staff does not know how to utilize its players.  The players feel the same way.  Charles O was not happy with how he was used.... and he’s voiced it now that he’s no longer on the team.  What they are doing with Ossai is a fucking shame.  The guy is a 1st round type pass rusher and we have him fucking dropping in coverage at MLB.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Being a good OC doesn't translate to being a good HC.  Tom was a great OC.  He is not a great HC.  He was good at Houston, imo, because he had a solid OC,

I think we have to now question if Tom really was a good OC?  Was that Tom's offense it Urban's?  Was it Tom's offense or Major's?  Bottom line, we hired tom for his "offensive acumen", not his long and distinguished career as a head coach, after getting burned by a shitty "defensive minded head" coach.  

• Like 1

Texas is going to be paying guaranteed money out the ass for any incoming coordinators to make sure they are willing to sign on if it is just for one year, just like Charlie's last year. Texas may not be on the hook for $75 million for just the HC, but they are damned sure trying to get it as close as possible for the whole staff.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see how CDC manages this situation in the coming months, Herman has shown his ass and there is nothing CDC can do IMO. Herman has shown zero leadership growth, instead he bunkers into a tough and dumb philosophy. His head butting yesterday only hurts his credibility with the players & folks who are asked to pay the bills. 

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Texas is going to be paying guaranteed money out the ass for any incoming coordinators to make sure they are willing to sign on if it is just for one year, just like Charlie's last year. Texas may not be on the hook for $75 million for just the HC, but they are damned sure trying to get it as close as possible for the whole staff.

This is growing pains with a coach learning as he goes.  He bought in last season and really thought his staff would take off along with the team this season.  It hasn't and it's blown up in his face.  If Tom is willing to go find the best OC, upcoming OC in the land...then so be it.  But to want him gone now..We would be Tennessee or the Cleveland fucking Browns with a revolving door for everytime we don't get the results by season 3.

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Just wait when it comes to renewing season tickets.  CDC is going to struggle getting fans to buy this shit product.  We know how this will end.  I fucking spent thousands of dollars on tickets this year.  Fuck this nonsense.  Not spending another penny till Herman is fired.  I’m emotionally exhausted from supporting this program through this shit decade.  It’s sad when us fans see these red flags we’ll know advance and the leaders and administration only makes changes when forced.  It took a Kansas loss to fire the worst coach in Texas history.  They legit were going to keep him after year 3 if he won that game.  Why should I care if these assholes don’t care.  I’m the first guy in line that laughs at aggy.  But for fucks sake, at least those dweebs are trying hard to becoming a winning program.  We, on the other hand, only care about sales and money.  I’m done with this program if the higher ups will not even attempt to trade out or G5 coach for a coach that has won two titles with two different programs who would crush it here.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This is growing pains with a coach learning as he goes.  He bought in last season and really thought his staff would take off along with the team this season.  It hasn't and it's blown up in his face.  If Tom is willing to go find the best OC, upcoming OC in the land...then so be it.  But to want him gone now..We would be Tennessee or the Cleveland fucking Browns with a revolving door for everytime we don't get the results by season 3.

Hey bro, we are Tennessee.... what fucking rock have you been living under.  We are a laughing stock in the media.  We were at rock bottom 3 seasons ago and we’re about 2 steps above it right now falling backwards every game.  

But yeah, let’s waste another season next year where we may win 6-7 games in a shit conference in fear that we may be compared to the Browns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Hey bro, we are Tennessee.... what fucking rock have you been living under.  We are a laughing stock in the media.  We were at rock bottom 3 seasons ago and we’re about 2 steps above it right now falling backwards every game.  

But yeah, let’s waste another season next year where we may win 6-7 games in a shit conference in fear that we may be compared to the Browns.

I'm just waiting to see what changes will be made.  Tom is here regardless.. going to give him another season to fix this shit.  if we get more of the same next season, then I'll be all for a change (not urban or Briles obviously)

Fyi... Only Orlando and Coach Hand currently  have assistant contracts at Texas thru the 2020 Season...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-poor-job-24-10-loss-Baylor-Bears-staff-changes-Tim-Beck-Todd-Orlando-139109039/

"Co-offensive coordinator Tim Beck is one of five assistant coaches on offense with a contract currently set to expire in March (offensive line coach Herb Hand has another year remaining on the deal he signed in January 2018)...  Orlando being the only coach on that side of the ball with a contract not expiring after the current season."

Fyi on Herman's Contract Extension May 2019:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/A-closer-look-at-Texas-coach-Tom-Herman-s-13895223.php

The new deal brings Herman's total guaranteed compensation over the next five seasons (2019-2023) to $27.75 million. The base payments are somewhat unique in that Herman himself will receive an annual base salary of $3.5 million while his limited liability corporation, 1-0 Culture LLC, is due escalating payments beginning at $2.25 million in fiscal year 2019 and topping out at $3.25 million in fiscal year 2023.

The amended contract also includes two retention payments of $1 million.

• Corporate payments to 1-0 Culture LLC:

FY 2019: $2,250,000
FY 2020: $2,500,000
FY 2021: $2,750,000
FY 2022: $3,000,000
FY 2023: $3,250,000

• Total base salary:

FY 2019: $5,750,000
FY 2020: $6,000,000
FY 2021: $6,250,000
FY 2022: $6,500,000
FY 2023: $6,750,000

Herman can also earn up to $500,000 in bonuses if certain incentives are met, the juiciest of which is a $250,000 payment for winning the College Football Playoff championship game. Texas has missed the CFP every year since its inception in 2014 and has not played for a national title since the 2009 season.

• Incentives:

Team wins Big 12 championship game: $100,000
Team wins College Football Playoff championship game: $250,000
Team academic performance incentive: N/A
National coach of the year: $100,000
Big 12 coach of the year: $50,000

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Fuck Fedora. He's been into this whirling pusball of incompetence for too long as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s an analyst. He’s also a good offensive mind. 

Neither are set the world on fire hires. Just likely possibilities given Herman’s familiarity with them, and their probably not demanding guaranteed, multi year contracts to get back into the coaching game. 

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

How does NSD1 affect these types of potential staff changes? Would those happen after NSD1 or after the game against Tech?

On defense I'm not so sure it'll affect as much. It's not like Orlando is a recruiter. He really doesn't go out and recruit much so that he can focus primarily on his job teaching safeties how to count 10 Mississippi and then rush the passer.

On defense I'm not so sure it'll affect as much. It's not like Orlando is a recruiter. He really doesn't go out and recruit much so that he can focus primarily on his job teaching safeties how to count 10 Mississippi and then rush the passer.

That’s what I thought. I was more concerned with the possibility of big offensive staff changes affecting Bijan Robinson or JQJ’s commitments. But that being said you have to balance recruiting ability with coaching ability. It doesn’t matter how great the players you recruit are if the coaches aren’t able to put them in positions to be successful and can’t develop them.

Just now, Chrispy_ said:

So, Warehime must have damning pictures of Herman or something. He fucked up the O-Line and now has destroyed the TE’s. 

After beck left we new it was going to be a step back. Brewer got hurt and the drop off was huge. You got Reece and 2 true freshmen after him.  Still he needs to go

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Agree. Majors offenses at Houston looked good

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Just wait when it comes to renewing season tickets.  CDC is going to struggle getting fans to buy this shit product.  We know how this will end.  I fucking spent thousands of dollars on tickets this year.  Fuck this nonsense.  Not spending another penny till Herman is fired.  I’m emotionally exhausted from supporting this program through this shit decade.  It’s sad when us fans see these red flags we’ll know advance and the leaders and administration only makes changes when forced.  It took a Kansas loss to fire the worst coach in Texas history.  They legit were going to keep him after year 3 if he won that game.  Why should I care if these assholes don’t care.  I’m the first guy in line that laughs at aggy.  But for fucks sake, at least those dweebs are trying hard to becoming a winning program.  We, on the other hand, only care about sales and money.  I’m done with this program if the higher ups will not even attempt to trade out or G5 coach for a coach that has won two titles with two different programs who would crush it here.  

Appreciate your post.  Hang in there, lots in your shoes who love The University of Texas and want this shit fixed!!  🤘

• Like 1

I think we have to now question if Tom really was a good OC?  Was that Tom's offense it Urban's?  Was it Tom's offense or Major's?  Bottom line, we hired tom for his "offensive acumen", not his long and distinguished career as a head coach, after getting burned by a shitty "defensive minded head" coach.  

I’ve wondered this as well. His stops as oc at Rice and Iowa State were not exactly “set the world on fire” experiences. I watched the uh offense quite a bit when he was there and it was mostly Greg ward hero ball.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I’ve wondered this as well. His stops as oc at Rice and Iowa State were not exactly “set the world on fire” experiences. I watched the uh offense quite a bit when he was there and it was mostly Greg ward hero ball.

Urban hired Tom because of what he did at Iowa State, may not have been set the world on fire stuff but it impressed the hell out of Urban, he said so himself. 

13 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

After beck left we new it was going to be a step back. Brewer got hurt and the drop off was huge. You got Reece and 2 true freshmen after him.  Still he needs to go

I guess I didn’t expect the drop off to be this steep, I’m struggling to remember a worse TE room. Reese hasn’t developed at all and Wiley, well he’s trying I guess, but holy hell. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, horngasm2020 said:

someone tell me what proof there is of beck being a good recruiter?

name one guy on offense who is all world superstar kicking ass that he recruited who wouldn't have come here anyway...

Nobody is an all world superstar on this team. He's opened up a good pipeline into az. Liebrock Smith and Robinson 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I really like listening to Rod.  He does his homework each week and his analysis is spot on.  He also constantly brings up points that this staff does not know how to utilize its players.  The players feel the same way.  Charles O was not happy with how he was used.... and he’s voiced it now that he’s no longer on the team.  What they are doing with Ossai is a fucking shame.  The guy is a 1st round type pass rusher and we have him fucking dropping in coverage at MLB.  

Rod would be a much better analyst than the clown car of misfits Herman has hired, who all got fired from their horrible, losing programs.

1 minute ago, Chrispy_ said:

I guess I didn’t expect the drop off to be this steep, I’m struggling to remember a worse TE room. Reese hasn’t developed at all and Wiley, well he’s trying I guess, but holy hell. 

Wiley is gonna be solid. Came in underweight.  There was talk that the staff wanted to make him into a TE but the brewer injury may have forces him to play.

6 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Can we start a thread that excludes the really shitty takes like hiring Major or Fedora? Seriously, some of you are a fucking beating. 

Nah, bro, we're going to buy out Tom and his whole staff and buy out Kyle Shanahan's contract and have Kyle Shanahan and Major Applewhite as Co-HCs with 10 year, $100 million guarantees and we're going to party like it's 2001.

• Like 1

I think one of the following happens:

• Nothing changes.  Mensa is too arrogant and stubborn to make any staffing changes, and will just make excuses or throw players under the bus.  No potential OC or DC worth their salt is going to want to come here and join a staff on a one year rental that is likely not going to be retained after 2020 anyway.  Furthermore, it's not like Mensa would cede control of the offense to any outside input.
  • CDC tells Mensa to make changes.  He shitcans some low level guy(s) like Warehime or Mehringer, hires some generic replacements, and proclaims job well done.  Titanic deck chairs are rearranged, but nothing noticeably changes in 2020, and the whole staff is inevitably fired.
  • CDC tells Mensa that he has to make changes, and Mensa is too arrogant and stubborn to comply.  Mensa resigns rather than make any changes, and we begin a coaching search for 2020.

I feel like I've seen this movie play out before.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy_ said:

you'd think going out on a limb to sign a kid caught dealing drugs would mean he's a can't miss star, but the guy just sucks at tight end. unbelievable 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi on Herman's Contract Extension May 2019:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/A-closer-look-at-Texas-coach-Tom-Herman-s-13895223.php

The new deal brings Herman's total guaranteed compensation over the next five seasons (2019-2023) to $27.75 million. 

Maybe some good news on Buyout amount for Herman if Kalen Jones info is accurate:  "The Longhorns have $20 million worth of reasons to not buy out Herman, whose contract stipulates a $5 million termination fee for each year remaining on his contract, which lasts through December 2023." 

Thx @satyanash

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Yep.  So may be best to cut about now if it’s a financial issue

46 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I think one of the following happens:

• Nothing changes.  Mensa is too arrogant and stubborn to make any staffing changes, and will just make excuses or throw players under the bus.  No potential OC or DC worth their salt is going to want to come here and join a staff on a one year rental that is likely not going to be retained after 2020 anyway.  Furthermore, it's not like Mensa would cede control of the offense to any outside input.
  • CDC tells Mensa to make changes.  He shitcans some low level guy(s) like Warehime or Mehringer, hires some generic replacements, and proclaims job well done.  Titanic deck chairs are rearranged, but nothing noticeably changes in 2020, and the whole staff is inevitably fired.
  • CDC tells Mensa that he has to make changes, and Mensa is too arrogant and stubborn to comply.  Mensa resigns rather than make any changes, and we begin a coaching search for 2020.

I feel like I've seen this movie play out before.

Mensa doesn’t get a done if he resigns.    Leave that out

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Mensa doesn’t get a done if he resigns.    Leave that out

Yeah I probably should have worded that better.  I think the scenario goes more like CDC orders Mensa to fire some staffers or be fired.  Mensa refuses.  CDC fires Mensa.

Granted, I don't find this scenario terribly likely, but I cannot rule out the possibility, remote as it is.

• Like 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

Yep.  So may be best to cut about now if it’s a financial issue

I have zero sympathy for our Athletic Department's P&L management. It's funny money. Cash is not and never will be the problem, only the cover-excuse for poor decisions by a fragmented group of BMD's that have a track record of making poor hires. 

CDC has proven well with Track, Softball and his department alignment-execution so far but time will tell. My only hope of having a fb program I can be proud of is that CDC seems to continue growth and maturation as a leader. 

3 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Urban hired Tom because of what he did at Iowa State, may not have been set the world on fire stuff but it impressed the hell out of Urban, he said so himself. 

Yeah, Urban also hired Tim Beck as his OC.  And Beck is terrible.  So he's not immune to making poor hiring decisions from time to time.  My main point is it's hard to separate Herman's success at tOSU from Urban.   

There's been zero evidence during his time here that Herman is a great offensive mind.  

Edited by bschoolprof

4 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

CDC sucks at his job if he allows Herman to promote anyone currently on staff. 

period!  Just like Herman he's learning on the job, in way over his head at Texas as was exemplified by his over exuberance in negotiating against himself last year and extending a contract that didn't need to be extended.  We won a lot of close games last year and caught lightening in the Sugar Bowl, that was a nice first step but it takes at least 2 points to form a line.  Only a very inexperienced AD would have acted that rashly.  Yeah CDC has proven he's a good carnival organizer improving gameday atmosphere for the fans, but that is only relevant if the fans keep supporting the product on the field, which mandates a quality product.  We don't have a  quality product and won't under herman.  will CDC act or waste money postponing the inevitable.  A seasoned AD would cut his losses and make the change immediately.  A mid-major AD who's learning on the job would be afraid to admit that he made a mistake by extending, and would try to buy time hoping that he can be proven right, only to fail again, at added expense one, two or God-forbid three years down the road. 

Herman is a narcissistic and lacks self awareness.  But he’s not dumb.  He’s going to throw his staff under the bus to save his ass 100%.  Don’t think for one second he gives a shit about any of his coaches.  Here’s where CDC needs to step in.  You don’t let this smug fuck face hire his new coaches.  You go to Joe Brady and give him 2-2.5 mil a year to become the OC.  You tell him he has full control of the offense and can hire the position coaches.  You tell him if he turns this offense around, we can Herman next year and promote him.  

You tell Herman that he doesn’t have a say in the hires and his job is to be the CEO.  If he meddles, he’s fired next year. 

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1