2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Just now, Tex Pete said:

In the SEC East, a shit division with shitty offenses. He may be great, but anything he did at Mizzou isn't proof of it.

Yeah you fuckfaces. SEC East is a step below the shitty Big 10.

Speaking of which Harrell is dogshit and hasn't proven anything playing against Pac12 defenses.

10 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Tom has to “prolong” the DC search for optics before Ash is announced. The coaching carousel is probably responsible for timeline of the OC hire.

Tom's narcissistic ass isn't worried about optics re: Ash, so that it pleases a bunch of jagoffs on message boards (myself included). 

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Speaking of which Harrell is dogshit and hasn't proven anything playing against Pac12 defenses.

True. But his offensive bonafides aren't in question. Harrell's spent many years in systems and working with HCs who put up tons of yards and points. Big 12 defenses are nothing to fear.

Odom's resume against high powered offenses is thin.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He got fired at Auburn and he’s currently the OC under Sonny Dykes. Why exactly are you giving him the credit for SMU’s air raid offense?

Right, Sonny was Leach's WR coach for about a decade at Tech.  It's Sonny's O.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

True. But his offensive bonafides aren't in question. Harrell's spent many years in systems and working with HCs who put up tons of yards and points. Big 12 defenses are nothing to fear.

Odom's resume against high powered offenses is thin.

Isn't Harrell's resume pretty much UNT and USC?  Unless we are including playing days or GA experience?  I'm all for the hire, but I think he's getting a pass that no one else is getting.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yeah you fuckfaces. SEC East is a step below the shitty Big 10.

Huh? Southern Cal's offense was much, much better this year than last year despite injuries, a 3rd string QB, and poor recruiting. And their star recruit having whatever issues he has that kept him from playing (Bru McCoy).

Adjusted yards per play went from #48 to #11, S&P+ offense went from #46 to #9, FEI offense went from #87 to #13.

I still think we get Harrell, but the people bagging on Lashlee are being somewhat ridiculous.

Lashlee has coached under 2 highly successful offensive coaches.  As I understand it he called plays this year at SMU, which in all seriousness is half the problem we have anyway.

Also, as has already been stated, he was used as the fall guy when Gus almost burned down his program after winning the NC.  You guys think Herman is an ass? Talk to people who have interacted with Gus at all. I have been told part of why Lashlee was used as the fall guy by Gus was that he spent his last season at Auburn trying to handle Gus and keep him from pissing people off at Auburn and Gus didn't like being handled.

Lashlee would be fine.  I think we get Harrell, but Lashlee is still far better than than Beck/committee and in no way is he Shawn Watson level.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Huh? Southern Cal's offense was much, much better this year than last year despite injuries, a 3rd string QB, and poor recruiting. And their star recruit having whatever issues he has that kept him from playing (Bru McCoy).

Adjusted yards per play went from #48 to #11, S&P+ offense went from #46 to #9, FEI offense went from #87 to #13.

I think he is mocking people/not serious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Isn't Harrell's resume pretty much UNT and USC?  Unless we are including playing days or GA experience?  I'm all for the hire, but I think he's getting a pass that no one else is getting.  

Well, Harrell's role will be different from the DC hire's.  The DC will be running his own show while Harrell will not be granted the same level of autonomy.  Harrell will probably have a similar role as what LSU did with Brady in revamping their passing concepts.  

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Well, Harrell's role will be different from the DC hire's.  The DC will be running his own show while Harrell will not be granted the same level of autonomy.  Harrell will probably have a similar role as what LSU did with Brady in revamping their passing concepts.  

Who would be the other role players in our setup with Harrell?  Whoever the other role players are in the Brady/LSU situation have done a shit job of promoting themselves because he is getting 100% of the credit for everything.  The only other credit I seen doled out at LSU is simply for Ogeron hiring Brady.  

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Must be nice to know how it’s going to play out with absolute certainty. Take my money!

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I believe Bru McCoys issue was developing a case of the obesities.

have you seen the guy? Dang. 

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Most coaches at that level are. I knew someone playing under Fran at TX St that he said he was an insufferable prick. 

It's as if working over 100 hours a week under a large microscope trying to get a group of 50+ men all in sync on what you need them to do doesn't lead to much of a gee-golly-shucks attitude.

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Must be nice to know how it’s going to play out with absolute certainty. Take my money!

Do you think someone like Herman is going to completely abandon his offensive system and allow someone with one year of P5 OC experience run it with total autonomy?  I think it's more likely Harrell will be brought it in to to adapt some of his passing concepts to Tom's 11 personnel offense.  After all, there is another guy in the conference who has been having a lot of success adapting the air raid to 11 and 21 personnel.  

Edited by Fozzz

Just now, Fozzz said:

Do you think someone like Herman is going to completely abandon his offensive system and allow someone with one year of P5 OC experience run it with total autonomy?  I think it's more likely Harrell will be brought it in to to adapt some of his passing concepts to Tom's 11 personnel offense.  After all, there is another guy in the conference who has been having a lot of success in the Big 12 adapting the air raid to 11 and 21 personnel.  

It seems like Herman doesn't want to be OC. I think that he wants to win and doesn't want to babysit an OC. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What?  Harrell is coming to be passing game coordinator?

Have you not heard Herman since he got here?  The man wants to wash his hands of the offense and let someone else handle it. He would be perfectly happy running the program and recruiting and not having to step in and fix the offense.  If Harrell comes, it will be his show.

• Like 1

Just now, Rhinotx said:

It seems like Herman doesn't want to be OC. I think that he wants to win and doesn't want to babysit an OC. 

I don't know what you mean by "be" the OC.  I think Herman has clearly demonstrated that he wants to run his system, even if the personnel hasn't always been there to take advantage.

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

Do you think someone like Herman is going to completely abandon his offensive system and allow someone with one year of P5 OC experience run it with total autonomy?  I think it's more likely Harrell will be brought it in to to adapt some of his passing concepts to Tom's 11 personnel offense.  After all, there is another guy in the conference who has been having a lot of success in the Big 12 adapting the air raid to 11 and 21 personnel.  

Do you think someone with leverage like Harrell is going to coach at Texas without assurance from Herman and CDC about autonomy? This isn't his first rodeo and he's not an idiot. If Harrell wants to run part of Herman's offense it'll be his choice. If he takes the Texas job.

• Like 1

I don't know what you mean by "be" the OC.  I think Herman has clearly demonstrated that he wants to run his system, even if the personnel hasn't always been there to take advantage.

Is that because that's what he wants or because Tim Beck wasn't capable of doing it himself?

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Do you think someone like Herman is going to completely abandon his offensive system and allow someone with one year of P5 OC experience run it with total autonomy?  I think it's more likely Harrell will be brought it in to to adapt some of his passing concepts to Tom's 11 personnel offense.  After all, there is another guy in the conference who has been having a lot of success adapting the air raid to 11 and 21 personnel.  

Harrell uses plenty of 12 and 11 at USC, by the way 

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/N175EW-1575845955-5-0-157

More fun with flight tracking. Kendall Briles? Don't shoot the messenger... I'm just the flightaware conspiracy theorist. 

That's Florida State trying to hire an outgoing Texas coach, silly. Look at the plane's history. Clearly an FSU plane.

Just now, Skipper said:

Can we just focus on updates?  I mean we've had some variation of (the OC will never have full autonomy/Mensa won't give up the offense) argument like every other page for 50 pages now.

There's a thread for that. Get there before that one is completely ruined, too, instead of mostly ruined like it is now.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/12610-actual-coaching-staff-developments/

I'm guessing he wants to keep his very highly compensating job even more. Herman watched the offense flounder this year while whatever shitty decision-making process wasn't working at all. He has stated and shown repeatedly that he doesn't want to run the offense, not calling plays or coordinating the gameplan. It seemed to me that he was too trusting of the guys he hired to do so. 

Despite being burned by his trust, I expect Herman to grant Harrell autonomy but also to see Harrell incorporate some of Herman's concepts into his offense. For Herman, the stakes are much higher than they are for Harrell at this point.

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Is that because that's what he wants or because Tim Beck wasn't capable of doing it himself?

I think he just assumed he and Beck could get the ball rolling on his system as soon as they got to Austin, Beck would take it over and the athletes would fill in the blanks, leaving him to focus on the team as a whole. Have never gotten the impression that he's hell bent on the offense being his.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm guessing he wants to keep his very highly compensating job even more. Herman watched the offense flounder this year while whatever shitty decision-making process wasn't working at all. He has stated and shown repeatedly that he doesn't want to run the offense, not calling plays or coordinating the gameplan. It seemed to me that he was too trusting of the guys he hired to do so. 

Despite being burned by his trust, I expect Herman to grant Harrell autonomy but also to see Harrell incorporate some of Herman's concepts into his offense. For Herman, the stakes are much higher than they are for Harrell at this point.

Plus in all honesty, Herman doesn't have to be seen as an offensive innovator anymore. He is at a position where if he is successful as a head coach, no one will ever give a crap about who's offens it is.  Tom has his issues, but he isn't freaking John "give me all the credit for everything" Markovic .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

His resume compares very favorably to Lincoln Riley's at the same point in their careers (Lincoln, pre-OU). He's been raised on football, from being the son of a coach, to playing for Leach, to the NFL, and to his stops since. He knows who he is and what he wants to do.

We bitch about not ever taking chances on up and comers. Here's an opportunity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Can we just focus on updates?  I mean we've had some variation of (the OC will never have full autonomy/Mensa won't give up the offense) argument like every other page for 50 pages now.

When it starts to really happen I don't think it will happen on this thread. The name of the thread will be like Harrell is coming / done deal/ etc with like 20 tweets on the first page with all the $9.95 trying to pretend they knew when it was happening. This thread is for therapy and the latest rumors or making up stuff just to see folks reactions.

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I think Tim Beck thinks vanilla is exotic. It seems like Herman installed his offense and felt that with Becks history at OSU he could run it. Herman took over because he needed to and kept trying to get Beck to take over to terrible results. I think Herman likes his system but in reality with Herrall and Lashlee they both use spread concepts to open up the run game. Herman wants a high scoring offense that can run the ball and both Herrell and Lashlee have shown to be able to do that. I think that unless we have a heck of a buyout on Herrall, Bringing in Lashlee and Samples would be a great fit that might stick for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Rhinotx said:

I think that unless we have a heck of a buyout on Herrall, Bringing in Lashlee and Samples would be a great fit that might stick for a few years. 

If a high scoring Texas offense wins the conference and makes the playoff, the OC will be in high demand for a HC job no matter who it is.    So if GH is the guy that can help get us out of this decade long shit show I couldn't care less if he just uses us as a stepping stone.

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/N175EW-1575845955-5-0-157

More fun with flight tracking. Kendall Briles? Don't shoot the messenger... I'm just the flightaware conspiracy theorist. 

Btw... Kendal Briles is currently a free agent after Willie Taggart’s dismissal and Mike Norvell’s hiring at Florida State, but Briles will not lack for options.

Sources told FootballScoop that new Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin is efforting to bring Briles with him to Oxford, while Briles could be a candidate to replace Kiffin in Boca Raton, sources say.

8 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I think Tim Beck thinks vanilla is exotic. It seems like Herman installed his offense and felt that with Becks history at OSU he could run it. Herman took over because he needed to and kept trying to get Beck to take over to terrible results. I think Herman likes his system but in reality with Herrall and Lashlee they both use spread concepts to open up the run game. Herman wants a high scoring offense that can run the ball and both Herrell and Lashlee have shown to be able to do that. I think that unless we have a heck of a buyout on Herrall, Bringing in Lashlee and Samples would be a great fit that might stick for a few years. 

Does Lashlee get those results without SB?  Herrall was dealt a hand of crap and turned it into prime rib.  I prefer Herrall with Greg Lewis as WR coach.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Other than the worthless report from Chip, the 9.95ers are quiet today. Seems odd to me.  Do they not know anything, or do they know something but have been told to keep it quiet? I expected to hear a lot by now. 

No information is being leaked by the athletic department so nobody knows anything. So they are reduced to bickering whether or not Ash was actually in Austin last week or whether or not an offer was made to Harrell. It's riveting stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If a high scoring Texas offense wins the conference and makes the playoff, the OC will be in high demand for a HC job no matter who it is.    So if GH is the guy that can help get us out of this decade long shit show I couldn't care less if he just uses us as a stepping stone.

If that happens and we don't replace Herman with Harrell we deserve to suck.