2019 ALCS: Yankees vs Astros

Helobious

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

I just noticed game 3 is at 3pm on Tuesday. Who the fuck thought of that? Lots of competitive programming on Tuesday night? Jesus I might only be able to watch the last 2 or 3 innings if I’m lucky. Bullshit.

This happened when I went to one of the ALCS games two years ago. I do not know why any network wants to schedule one of these games like this here, but whatever. 

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I mean I really hope you're right, but you're giving up pretty damn fast.

Wednesday’s rainout will change everything in the Astros favor. If god exists he hates the Yankees for some reason. I think Voit & Urshela did some satanic shit to sell their souls & get so good out of nowhere. The price is being paid right now, only explanation.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

That should be the series, Astros in 5 or 6. I’ve seen all I needed to see. 

Seriously?  You picked the Yankees to sweep Houston, but now that the Astros won one game to even it up, the Yankees are finished?  I hope you're right, but man that's a 180.

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Wednesday’s rainout will change everything in the Astros favor. If god exists he hates the Yankees for some reason.

There are plenty of reasons to hate the Yankees.

But you sound like a Cleveland Browns fan or something with all this "cursed" talk.

I don't understand how the rainout helps the Astros and not the Yankees because now Tanaka can go in game 4 on normal rest and you kick the can on the bullpen game to game 7 where you can literally use any pitcher not named Severino.  For the Astros it just means Urquidy doesn't have to start till game 7 and yes we could potentially pull Greinke and Verlander out of the pen if needed.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

That should be the series, Astros in 5 or 6. I’ve seen all I needed to see. 

You’re like the Yankees version of Icono with your reactionary takes. 😂😂😂

Of course, I hope you’re right. But this thing is going the distance. I need to go find a ML bet on the existence of Game 7. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I don't understand how the rainout helps the Astros and not the Yankees because now Tanaka can go in game 4 on normal rest and you kick the can on the bullpen game to game 7 where you can literally use any pitcher not named Severino.  For the Astros it just means Urquidy doesn't have to start till game 7 and yes we could potentially pull Greinke and Verlander out of the pen if needed.

Yeah, I don't want a rainout at all.  

I think we've got a shot to take Game 3 with Cole then split the next two and come home ahead.  And even if we only get one of three in NY, having JV and Cole lined up for 6 and 7 at home gives us a hell of a shot.

Wednesday’s rainout will change everything in the Astros favor. If god exists he hates the Yankees for some reason. I think Voit & Urshela did some satanic shit to sell their souls & get so good out of nowhere. The price is being paid right now, only explanation.
Yes, it is supposed to rain Wednesday, but a rain out isn't a sure thing.

If the current forecast holds I doubt they make people deal with low 50s + 15mph wind + 90% chance of rain but I guess it will depend on the radar closer to game time if they think they can get it in. It would have been better if the NLCS was the night game so they had some extra time to play with the windows of time available.

Knowing the Steinbrenner family they won't call it until 90 minutes after first pitch so that they get some additional concessions $$$.

xwOBA through the first two games - Yankees .308, Astros .373.  The Astros are hitting better in this series than they did in the regular season (.337 xwOBA) but have hardly anything to show for it.  Still, this is a huge improvement from the Rays series where Rays' pitching really did a number against the Astros' offense for much of the series.  The issues against NY seem to stem more from hitting line drives to the wrong spots and not having anyone on base for the home runs. 

Also, really nice to see Joe Smith emerging as the RHB killer he was supposed to be when originally signed.  He could obviously be a huge difference maker in this series with the Yankee's RHB heavy lineup. 

Edited by Fozzz

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

xwOBA through the first two games - Yankees .308, Astros .373.  The Astros are hitting better in this series than they did in the regular season (.337 xwOBA) but have hardly anything to show for it.  Still, this is a huge improvement from the Rays series where Rays' pitching really did a number against the Astros' offense for much of the series.  The issues against NY seem to stem more from hitting line drives to the wrong spots and not having anyone on base for the home runs. 

Also, really nice to see Joe Smith emerging as the RHB killer he was supposed to be when originally signed.  He could obviously be a huge difference maker in this series with the Yankee's RHB heavy lineup. 

2 games is definitely a big enough sample size to discern useful saberstats.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:
You’re like the Yankees version of Icono with your reactionary takes. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
Of course, I hope you’re right. But this thing is going the distance. I need to go find a ML bet on the existence of Game 7. 

He is trying out the reverse jinx.

Well given all the jinx he threw down in this thread prior to the game 1 beatdown I don't think the baseball gods will let him off that easily.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'm a Rangers fan and I have to laugh at god hating the Yankees. I get it, a decade has passed since the last WS title. Still, the Yankees are one of the most iconic franchises in all of sports in history. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm a Rangers fan and I have to laugh at god hating the Yankees. I get it, a decade has passed since the last WS title. Still, the Yankees are one of the most iconic franchises in all of sports in history. 

I was still in high school the last time the Yanks won it all. The overwhelming majority of Astros fans have only been fans since 2015. They’ve never not seen their team be successful. They have no idea what it’s like to be a suffering sports fan.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I was still in high school the last time the Yanks won it all. The overwhelming majority of Astros fans have only been fans since 2015. They’ve never not seen their team be successful. They have no idea what it’s like to be a suffering sports fan.

LMFAO 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I have only witnessed one of the more iconic choke jobs from my team in 2011 in game 6 of the WS. 2010 they just got beat down in 5 games. They have did nothing since those years. At least you have witnessed them winning something and now they are back on track. 2 ALCS appearances in 3 years. Coming back home for 3 games being tied. I'll switch places with that.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

2 games is definitely a big enough sample size to discern useful saberstats.

No kidding, Belobious.  The point is that in spite of the series run differential and the fact the Astros were shut out in game 1 they have actually hit the ball quite well this series and if this trend continues there's a very good chance they win the series.  

A lot seems to hinge on Severino's start tomorrow.  He looked a little shaky versus the Twins and his velo doesn't seem to be all the way back.  Hopefully he tips some pitches and gets knocked out early so Boone has to be at least a little cautious with how he uses his pen during the three game stretch in NY.  

If the current forecast holds I doubt they make people deal with low 50s + 15mph wind + 90% chance of rain but I guess it will depend on the radar closer to game time if they think they can get it in. It would have been better if the NLCS was the night game so they had some extra time to play with the windows of time available.
Knowing the Steinbrenner family they won't call it until 90 minutes after first pitch so that they get some additional concessions $$$.
I think you are getting the days confused. Game 3, which is tomorrow, for which the forecast is good, if a little chilly, is the afternoon game. Game 4, which is Wednesday, is an 8 ET start and there is 100% chance of rain in the forecast.

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Talk about a stupid take.

Image result for i need the shittiest take you have no that's too shit

Current forecast suggest no rainout for Wed's 8:08pm eastern game:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-73.92547175392973&lat=40.82966120134776#.XaS5--dKjOQ

Wednesday

Rain, mainly after 2pm. High near 66. Southeast wind 7 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night

Rain likely, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

This is way too clever for you.  Who is writing your trolls? 

I for one salute Helobius on his Grade A level trolling expedition.  

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I think you are getting the days confused. Game 3, which is tomorrow, for which the forecast is good, if a little chilly, is the afternoon game. Game 4, which is Wednesday, is an 8 ET start and there is 100% chance of rain in the forecast.

Where did I mention game 3 anywhere?

Talk on the Yankee internets of how genius it would be to just let Cessa & Lyons be lambs tomorrow against Cole. Wednesday’s rainout would then set up Greinke vs Tanaka rematch in game 4, then Sevy vs Verlander in game 5 at home. If the Yankees take the latter 2, losing to Cole in game 6 won’t matter. Tanaka vs Greinke & a short-rested Verlander in game 7 is advantage Yankees. 

Wish Boone & the front office were smart enough to actually do that.

Hey dicknose I became a fan in 2017 not 2015. Get it right
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Off-topic but I also wonder how long it’ll be before teams realize how much smarter it would be to just intentionally walk the opponents best hitter(s) their first 1 or 2 times up. Then they wouldn’t get their 1st at bat till later in the game, either against the starter for the first time of the day or against a hard-throwing reliever.

Off-topic but I also wonder how long it’ll be before teams realize how much smarter it would be to just intentionally walk the opponents best hitter(s) their first 1 or 2 times up. Then they wouldn’t get their 1st at bat till later in the game, either against the starter for the first time of the day or against a hard-throwing reliever.

I actually think every player should bunt the first time through the lineup. Puts more pressure on the defense. Like who wants to try and field 9 straight bunts? Prob have a few balls thrown away, probably beat some out. Stay out of the double play easier that way too. Can't believe I am the first one to think of this.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1