SBSP is now racist and colonialist

EMAWesome

You want to know one of the main reasons I support Trump?  The idiots that come up with this crap don't.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13844

A  university professor deemed the beloved cartoon "SpongeBob Squarepants" "violent," "racist," and "insidious" in a scholarly article.

University of Washington professor Holly Barker published her musings on the yellow sponge cartoon character and his deep-sea pals in an academic journal called The Contemporary Pacific: A Journal of Island Affairs, which features "readable" articles focused on "social, economic, political, ecological, and cultural topics." 

In her article titled "Unsettling SpongeBob and the Legacies of Violence on Bikini Bottom," Barker's chief complaint hinges on her perception that the show's fictional setting of the town of Bikini Bottom is based on the nonfictional Bikini Atoll, a coral reef in the Marshall Islands used by the U.S. military for nuclear testing during the Cold War. 

The indigenous people of the area were relocated during the testing, which eventually rendered the area uninhabitable due to residual radiation. Barker finds it unjust that SpongeBob and his pals be allowed to "occupy" the area when the nonfictional indigenous people of the area do not have the option to return to their homeland.

As an "American character," SpongeBob supposedly has the "privilege" of "not caring about the detonation of nuclear bombs." In order to demonstrate this, the professor quotes one of the show's writers, who said that the main character is "a guy who could get super-excited about a napkin but wouldn't care if there was an explosion outside."

"The detonations do not cause concern for the characters, as they did for the Bikinians, nor do they compromise SpongeBob's frequent activities, like visiting hamburger joints or the beach with friends," writes Barker.

SpongeBob and his friends supposedly perpetuate the past injustices against the indigenous people of Bikini Atoll through "SpongeBob's occupation and reclaiming" of the nonfictional location's lagoon. The setting of the show, Barker says, is "symbolic violence."

"Although the U.S. government removed the people of Bikini from the atoll above the surface, this does not give license to SpongeBob or anyone else, fictitious or otherwise, to occupy Bikini," insists Barker.

"SpongeBob’s presence on Bikini Bottom continues the violent and racist expulsion of Indigenous peoples from their lands (and in this case their cosmos) that enables U.S. hegemonic powers to extend their military and colonial interests in the postwar era,” she added.

Barker is also concerned with the "cultural appropriation of iconic Pacific Island representations" supposedly evident within Bikini Bottom's "token objectification of Oceania," taking particular issue with "buildings shaped like pineapples, Easter Island statues, and tikis."  She also laments the "Hawaiian-shirt motifs" and sounds of steel guitar that are common themes on the children's show.

Barker also attempts to dissect and problematize the cartoon's theme song with academic phrasing.

"The first act of the song is to have children identify who resides in the pineapple house," she explains. "The children's response, repeated extensively throughout the song, affirms that the house and Bikini Bottom are the domain of SpongeBob." 

"The song's directives, ensconced in humor, provide the viewer with an active role in defining Bikini Bottom as a place of nonsense, as the audience is instructed 'If nautical nonsense be something you wish...drop on the deck and flop like a fish.’"

By participating in the theme song sing-a-long, Barker says "the viewer becomes an unwitting participant in the co-opting of Bikini's story and the exclusion of the Bikinian people."

Barker admits that the show's creators likely did not have "U.S. colonialism" in mind while developing the cartoon, she calls it "disturbing" that they did not realize that "Bikini Bottom and Bikini Atoll were not theirs for the taking." Consequently, Barker suggests that "millions of children" have "become acculturated to an ideology that includes the US character SpongeBob residing on another people’s homeland.” 

In this way, colonialism is supposedly "produced, reproduced, and normalized" through the cartoon

As if fictionally "occupying" nonfictional land was not enough, Barker also accuses the cartoon of being biased against women. 

The professor complains that "all of the main characters on the show are male," except for Sandy Cheeks the squirrel, whom she suggests was only created in order to boost the gender diversity of the show. 

"The name 'Bob' represents the everyday man, a common American male, much like a 'Joe,'" Barker observes, concluding that "our gaze into the world of Bikini Bottom, as well as the surface of Bikini, is thus filtered through the activities of men.”

Barker concludes her article by insisting that even though SpongeBob's writers likely did not mean "to infuse a children's show with racist, violent colonial practices," the show is part of a larger issue, an "insidious practice of disappearing Indigenous communities."

“We should be uncomfortable with a hamburger-loving American community’s occupation of Bikini’s lagoon and the ways that it erodes every aspect of sovereignty.”

Campus Reform reached out to Barker for further comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 35

31 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Look, it’s either vote for Trump or call Spongebob a racist.  There is no middle path.

In addition, the evil of a university professor calling spongebob racist is worse than the President encouraging foreign influence in our elections.  Or the President abandoning allies who have bled for our causes to be massacred.  Or the President breaking up families and locking up children at the border.  Or the President calling his political rivals “traitors” and “treasonous” — crimes punishable by death.  Or the President inspiring white nationalist wack jobs to kill ethnic and racial minorities or those that support their equivalent validity as humans and citizens.

On the Trumpkin scale of evil sorted from least to most evil you have greed -> xenophobia -> misogyny -> racism -> sexual assault ->.betrayal -> authoritarianism -> murder -> political correctness -> abortion -> gun control -> ethnic diversity -> liberalism -> Hillary.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Everybody believes he’s that stupid though.

Supporting the wholesale slaughter of Kurds and the sending of thousands of U.S. troops to Saudi Arabia because some guy  who writes about Spongebob Squarepants doesn't! 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You want to know one of the main reasons I support Trump?  The idiots that come up with this crap don't.

It’s good to know that you’re ok with Trump sacrificing US troops to Turkey because someone has an opinion on a cartoon that you disagree with.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You want to know one of the main reasons I support Trump?

the reason you support Trump is because you hate yourself and your way of coping with that self-hate is to project your hate onto others. he's just like you, and it lets you wake up every day and distract yourself from the root problem: you.

spend more time understanding the root causes of your self-loathing and try to learn to love yourself. if you ever get there, you'll find your support for Trump will disappear.

• Like 7

A  university professor deemed the beloved cartoon "SpongeBob Squarepants" "violent," "racist," and "insidious" in a scholarly article.
University of Washington professor Holly Barker published her musings on the yellow sponge cartoon character and his deep-sea pals in an academic journal called The Contemporary Pacific: A Journal of Island Affairs, which features "readable" articles focused on "social, economic, political, ecological, and cultural topics." 

In her article titled "Unsettling SpongeBob and the Legacies of Violence on Bikini Bottom," Barker's chief complaint hinges on her perception that the show's fictional setting of the town of Bikini Bottom is based on the nonfictional Bikini Atoll, a coral reef in the Marshall Islands used by the U.S. military for nuclear testing during the Cold War. 

The indigenous people of the area were relocated during the testing, which eventually rendered the area uninhabitable due to residual radiation. Barker finds it unjust that SpongeBob and his pals be allowed to "occupy" the area when the nonfictional indigenous people of the area do not have the option to return to their homeland.

As an "American character," SpongeBob supposedly has the "privilege" of "not caring about the detonation of nuclear bombs." In order to demonstrate this, the professor quotes one of the show's writers, who said that the main character is "a guy who could get super-excited about a napkin but wouldn't care if there was an explosion outside."
"The detonations do not cause concern for the characters, as they did for the Bikinians, nor do they compromise SpongeBob's frequent activities, like visiting hamburger joints or the beach with friends," writes Barker.
SpongeBob and his friends supposedly perpetuate the past injustices against the indigenous people of Bikini Atoll through "SpongeBob's occupation and reclaiming" of the nonfictional location's lagoon. The setting of the show, Barker says, is "symbolic violence."
"Although the U.S. government removed the people of Bikini from the atoll above the surface, this does not give license to SpongeBob or anyone else, fictitious or otherwise, to occupy Bikini," insists Barker.
"SpongeBob’s presence on Bikini Bottom continues the violent and racist expulsion of Indigenous peoples from their lands (and in this case their cosmos) that enables U.S. hegemonic powers to extend their military and colonial interests in the postwar era,” she added.
Barker is also concerned with the "cultural appropriation of iconic Pacific Island representations" supposedly evident within Bikini Bottom's "token objectification of Oceania," taking particular issue with "buildings shaped like pineapples, Easter Island statues, and tikis."  She also laments the "Hawaiian-shirt motifs" and sounds of steel guitar that are common themes on the children's show.
Barker also attempts to dissect and problematize the cartoon's theme song with academic phrasing.
"The first act of the song is to have children identify who resides in the pineapple house," she explains. "The children's response, repeated extensively throughout the song, affirms that the house and Bikini Bottom are the domain of SpongeBob." 
"The song's directives, ensconced in humor, provide the viewer with an active role in defining Bikini Bottom as a place of nonsense, as the audience is instructed 'If nautical nonsense be something you wish...drop on the deck and flop like a fish.’"
By participating in the theme song sing-a-long, Barker says "the viewer becomes an unwitting participant in the co-opting of Bikini's story and the exclusion of the Bikinian people."
Barker admits that the show's creators likely did not have "U.S. colonialism" in mind while developing the cartoon, she calls it "disturbing" that they did not realize that "Bikini Bottom and Bikini Atoll were not theirs for the taking." Consequently, Barker suggests that "millions of children" have "become acculturated to an ideology that includes the US character SpongeBob residing on another people’s homeland.” 
In this way, colonialism is supposedly "produced, reproduced, and normalized" through the cartoon
As if fictionally "occupying" nonfictional land was not enough, Barker also accuses the cartoon of being biased against women. 
The professor complains that "all of the main characters on the show are male," except for Sandy Cheeks the squirrel, whom she suggests was only created in order to boost the gender diversity of the show. 
"The name 'Bob' represents the everyday man, a common American male, much like a 'Joe,'" Barker observes, concluding that "our gaze into the world of Bikini Bottom, as well as the surface of Bikini, is thus filtered through the activities of men.”
Barker concludes her article by insisting that even though SpongeBob's writers likely did not mean "to infuse a children's show with racist, violent colonial practices," the show is part of a larger issue, an "insidious practice of disappearing Indigenous communities."
“We should be uncomfortable with a hamburger-loving American community’s occupation of Bikini’s lagoon and the ways that it erodes every aspect of sovereignty.”
Campus Reform reached out to Barker for further comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

It is my hope that at least the educated voters in this country start to spend time reading and researching factual information to guide them in their political beliefs and ultimately their voting.

What that means practically is recognizing that biased news outlets like Fox News are propaganda and not news, that tweets directly from the President provide direct evidence of his views and capabilities, and that a ton of the stories on the internet are meant to sway a voter and not actually identify issues and solve problems.

You being supposedly an educated voter should be able to easily do this. Yet upon reading with your own eyes tweets by our President with terms like “stable genius” and “unmatched wisdom” you ignore the obvious signs of a mental instability.

You being supposedly an educated voter should easily be able to list off almost every issue this President has tackled and recognized that he has produced few successes. Trying to repeal Obamacare but having no alternative. Trying to rein in China but doing it in a way that is poorly executed and more damaging to American businesses than the Chinese. Passing a tax cut that has imperiled this country financially due to deficit explosion. Failing at leading a reasonable immigration reform policy. Failing on North Korea. Failing on Syria. Catering to a Russian dictator. I could go on forever listing his failures. I honestly can only list one “success” that isn’t really a success - the nomination of a conservative Supreme Court judge. Real success would have been to nominate a true moderate that lacked deep political biases. That would have allowed this country to be judged fairly against the laws and the constitution, as opposed to being a tool for the religious right.

But yet, you continue to support him. It demonstrates that snake oil salesmen can win over even educated people like you because you are a simpleton who has been bamboozled. You should be embarrassed. History will regard you as one of many morons.

But, any day now you could wake up and actually realize what is happening and be part of the solution to restoring this country as an admired part of this world. You still have time. I talk from direct experience. While I figured out Trump was the wrong solution before the election and didn’t vote for him, I did chuckle a bit at the time seeing Hillary lose. I don’t like her at all. I even thought at the time Trump might shake things up in a good way. I believed a bit of his “drain the swamp” rhetoric. But it only took me a few months to easily see that he is the swamp. The facts are obvious and verifiable. So I educated myself and now have a more informed view of the world and of him specifically. It isn’t hard. Just go read the thousands of lies in his twitter feed. That alone should turn you against him.
  • Like 4

Again I don’t know why y’all even bother to engage, especially guys who just drive by then never respond like...like this clown.  At least Hammer will try to defend his points and keep fueling the fire, EMAW just drops a juicy fart then walks outta the elevator like nothing happened.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

So what you're saying is you're a sensitive little snowflake who doesn't know how to think critically or put things into context.

Cool.

• Like 3

Yet you have issues with a hidden subversive message in spongebob, but all the pizzagate/Q conspiracies get  a pass. 

And that tweet on Ms Khalef is horrid.  You and your ilk are responsible for these atrocities.  Just get the fuck out of here, go back under your rock.  You only come out now to bring silly ass justifications for supporting Trump.  Be gone with you, cursed stain.

• Like 2

I’m sure Benedict Arnold also had blind sheep supporters. 

After a fair and impartial trial, being found guilty of Treason should be a hangable offense. For the person committing the act of treason and anyone associated with said act(s) of treason. Especially those that had knowledge of any act(s) of treason and failed to report it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

It's you and all the other dumb fuckers who "think" like you that are to blame for this shitshow.

Trump is Trump. We all knew what he was like. Why complain about the leopard having spots?

I blame the dumb fucks (pointing at op) who voted for this sack of shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Everyone on the internet loves to throw around the term “straw man” even when it doesn’t really fit-maybe it’s the only logical fallacy they know. So you’ve done a real public service here in introducing them to the non-sequitur.

You also need to work in the term ad hominem some how.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I mean, I always determine how my vote is going to be cast for the highest office in America by how some random person feels regarding a fictional cartoon about a talking sponge. And all of you who actually look at policies, character, and such are just idiots. Oh wait, Rugrats is about to start. I need to see who to vote for in the next gubernatorial race. 

As a general rule I try not to neg people.  This is particularly true on the politics board where open discussion of different views should be encouraged- even if the honest debate rarely occurs.  And then there are times like this when someone is so colossally stupid it’s hard to ignore.  Clearly the is no reasoning with @EMAWesome so I won’t waste our time. 

Instead I’ve repped every post on this page except OP and the one re - stoning. I can’t bring myself to do that.  Thanks @Mo Horn for doing the best job (IMHO) of capturing the essence of his stupidity.  To justify installing trump as the most powerful man in the world over such trivial considerations is near the top of the most foolish things I’ve ever seen.

• Like 4

Never thought of Sponge Bob as racist. Bikini Bottom is pretty diverse. All types of species living and working together. 

The real problem with Sponge Bob is that it offers no lessons to the kids who watch it. It is just a bunch of idiots stuck in menial jobs doing nothing else of value. It's like Seinfeld under the sea with dumber characters. 

7 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You want to know one of the main reasons I support Trump? 

NOBODY wanted to know why. NOBODY here cares why. The moment you said you supported him you outed yourself as a completely irredeemable piece of shit that deserves every single awful thing that happens to you. Find a Breitbart article to comment on instead of being a complete waste of space here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I'm old enough to remember when the FWD>FWD>FWD> stories were about how Sponge Bob was turnin' the kids gay.

Wasn’t that the teletubbies? Those dudes were weird as shit. 

I predict for his next ridiculous troll thread and run the OP will talk about that weird show and how it somehow caused him to vote for trump.

4 hours ago, EastTexan said:

To self "do not engage left wing kooks. They get their little feelings hurt when you do not agree with them."

Feelings hurt? OP supports a president because some people said mean things about a children's cartoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EastTexan said:

To self "do not engage left wing kooks. They get their little feelings hurt when you do not agree with them."

Since you've come back to this board to take a shot, care to comment on the Trump sanctioned ethnic cleansing of our allies?

Or do you just want to talk about cartoons?