Surfing - WSL

SmokeyBear1861

I only bodysurf, but I love watching 'real' surfing. Just such a beautiful and amazing sport. So, I guess the WSL is what used to be the ASP, right? Is WSL competition strictly head to head with just two guys in the water, unlike the old way where you had several guys out there competing for waves and racking up scores?

17 hours ago, wood said:

I only bodysurf, but I love watching 'real' surfing. Just such a beautiful and amazing sport. So, I guess the WSL is what used to be the ASP, right? Is WSL competition strictly head to head with just two guys in the water, unlike the old way where you had several guys out there competing for waves and racking up scores?

Yeah its changed names. There are different formats for different spots. Usually it's 4 men heats with the top two continuing and the 3rd guy has to surf and win another early heat to continue. Then head to head for the last couple of rounds. 

I wish I could watch it more, I typically watch most of the action on heat analyzer. 

Driving down the sea wall in Galveston now. Wind is blowing onshore still. Waist high + and sloppy. Front is supposed to hit and flip the wind before 9. Hope it gets good for a few hours. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Synopsis?

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/pipeline-dropped-from-2019-wsl-world-championship-tour/

It's been going on for awhile now. A missing contest between local Hawaiian authority and the WSL. 

They managed to get the other ones through for next year, but a season with no Pipe is not legit. It's put a wierd feeling over this season for me and a lot of others.

6 hours ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

Yeah its changed names. There are different formats for different spots. Usually it's 4 men heats with the top two continuing and the 3rd guy has to surf and win another early heat to continue. Then head to head for the last couple of rounds. 

I wish I could watch it more, I typically watch most of the action on heat analyzer. 

Driving down the sea wall in Galveston now. Wind is blowing onshore still. Waist high + and sloppy. Front is supposed to hit and flip the wind before 9. Hope it gets good for a few hours. 

Cool, kind of a winner's & loser's bracket kinda thing.

Get ready for that front. It's a cold one. & strong. 45 degrees here in Austin right now.

• 2 years later...

I know jackshit about the sport, but this has to be a rough way to go. 

Katherine Diaz, El Salvador's top surfer and an Olympic hopeful, has died after being struck by lightning while training on a beach.

Diaz, 22, was training on Friday just a short distance from her home in El Tunco, El Salvador, when a series of electrical storms hit the area. She was struck while she was still in the water, and onlookers reportedly tried to help her until the paramedics arrived. According to the Olympic Channel, Diaz could not be revived and died on the beach.

Via the Olympic Channel, the Spanish news paper AS reported that according to the Salvadoran Surf Federation, "the sky was clear and it was an unforeseen storm that did not seem to carry much electrical intensity either."

Diaz, who was also a chef who had opened her own restaurant in El Tunco, had been training for an upcoming tournament in El Salvador that is serving as an Olympic qualifier. The Salvadoran Surf Federation shared the news of her death in a social media post.

"A great athlete who has represented our country has left us," the post said. "See you soon, great warrior. El Salvador is in mourning."

The International Surfing Association also shared a social media post about Diaz, offering condolences to her family.

https://www.instagram.com/katherinecook7/

Wild, had no idea a thread existed on here about WSL.

I was introduced to it in Maui at our timeshare a few years ago; there's a surfing channel that shows competition 24/7.  I found it incredibly interesting and relaxing. I don't smoke pot (makes me paranoid) but I imagine that's what it's like for people that do.  Something about the announcers delivery also lends to the relaxed vibe, even though the athleticsm of the surfers is off the charts.

Anyway you can stream it on your computer.  Think the next up is in April.

• 1 year later...