2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

Some talk that the Mavs are interested in trading for Blake Griffin. It would likely mean giving up Brunson and Powell.

Idk if I like that idea. Give me a lockdown defender first and foremost.

Even though BG makes $37mmish per for the next three years, the money actually works well. Lee comes off the books this offseason, THJ the next. However, I don't see how he fits. KP needs a big next to him a lot. I'm hoping Maxi keeps up the development and gets the majority of the minutes. Powell just can't hang in the post on D. BG has transofmred him game a lot, and is a good play maker and decent 3PT shooter. But, KP is getting most of his minutes at the "4". 

On 11/19/2019 at 1:19 PM, Bruh Man said:

Luka is getting ridiculous love for yesterday's game. Kinda feels like it was his coming out party to the entire NBA fanbase.

Luka will be starting in the first of many NBA All Star games come February 16, 2020.  I might actually watch it for the first time in decades.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Spurs thread is discussing whether they should trade Aldridge. Wouldn’t he be a better fit?  

I don't want the Mavs giving up young assets and picks in the coming drafts for players who are old. Why not just wait until the off-season when Lee comes off the books and sign someone with open cap space? 

I also believe we need someone who can handle the ball and take some of the load off Luka. Griffin and Aldridge don't bring that and they're also somewhat redundant to KP. 

Next year is the first year of the "go for it" window IMO. This year is all about setting the table for the run. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't want the Mavs giving up young assets and picks in the coming drafts for players who are old. Why not just wait until the off-season when Lee comes off the books and sign someone with open cap space? 

I also believe we need someone who can handle the ball and take some of the load off Luka. Griffin and Aldridge don't bring that and they're also somewhat redundant to KP. 

Next year is the first year of the "go for it" window IMO. This year is all about setting the table for the run. 

I'd have other concerns about BG, but I think he's pretty damn good handling the ball/running the offense for a front court player.

Also, I think Delon is deserving of more minutes and he can run the offense as well.

Big picture, I'd be in favor of any trade that makes sense and improves our front court by giving up a back court player. It feels like no guard other than Luka gets enough minutes to ever get into a rhythm right now

21 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I agree with most of this. Think Brunson is fine as a long term backup to Luka. Pass on LA or Blake. Don’t rush it. The Mavs have their superstars. The hard part is done. Find the right complimentary pieces. 3D guys.

Edited by Dropout
Need someone like Matrix. GL I know.

2 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

Some talk that the Mavs are interested in trading for Blake Griffin. It would likely mean giving up Brunson and Powell.

No thank you. Hard pass on Blake for this team we are building.

Edited by Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

i wanted griffin for dsjr last year at the deadline.  i think he brings more to the table than kp.  if we're giving up brunson and powell i'm not sure i like that.  brunson's the leader off the bench (are we going to give jjb playing time?) and powell is pretty much our only energy.  other than powell, who do we have who plays hard inside?  maxi sometimes.  that's it.

if this scenario does play out what would the lineup be to close out games?  delon, luka, blake, kp, kleber?

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dallas has a #1 this year but owes the knicks next draft, right?

and this coming pick doesn’t look to be all that high, based on the first pay of the season. 
hopefully it’s a different market but free agency hasn’t exactly been good to the mavs over the years. 

I don't think we've ever had close to the promising duo that we currently have. That changes a lot of things for how players view coming here. 

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i wanted griffin for dsjr last year at the deadline.  i think he brings more to the table than kp.  if we're giving up brunson and powell i'm not sure i like that.  brunson's the leader off the bench (are we going to give jjb playing time?) and powell is pretty much our only energy.  other than powell, who do we have who plays hard inside?  maxi sometimes.  that's it.

if this scenario does play out what would the lineup be to close out games?  delon, luka, blake, kp, kleber?

Maxi is much better than Powell. (and the minutes he gets Boban wrecks shop inside.) And Delon getting Brunson's minutes would be fine.  And I really like both of Powell and Brunson.

That's a good question. You can't play BG at the 3, so against some teams you run out KP and Blake, but against others you'd need Maxi out there.

Edited by CBT

14 minutes ago, CBT said:

Maxi is much better than Powell. (and the minutes he gets Boban wrecks shop inside.) And Delon getting Brunson's minutes would be fine.  And I really like both of Powell and Brunson.

That's a good question. You can't play BG at the 3, so against some teams you run out KP and Blake, but against others you'd need Maxi out there.

well maxi and dp have different strengths, with dp being the better defender and scorer inside and maxi being the better outside.  i'd love to see boban more.  i wonder what his ceiling is on minutes though.  

i don't know if delon can replace brunson.  brunson is playmaker who can handle, and somewhat requires, having the ball in his hands every possession.  delon's good for about every other possession before he starts forcing the action and getting sloppy.  

if you ask me right now if i'd do that trade i would-  mainly because guys like brunson and powell are more easily replaceable than bg and i think making bold moves, especially before your window's really open, more often than not works out.  

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I’d give up Powell, but fuck giving up Brunson.

I don’t want Blake because of his age/injury history, but Brunson is expendable for the right player.  His ceiling on a Luka-led team is 15-20 minutes/night off the bench.  That’s easily replaceable.  Curry (shooting) and Wright (defense) both bring an elite skill to the table playing the “1” alongside Luka.  Plug in JJB for whatever minutes are left over and I doubt anyone would really notice.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

FYI

Tim Macmahon has a great article on Espn about the Luka and Carlisle relationship

Bill Simmons spends about 40minutes talking to Marc Stein about Luka on his newest podcast

If you like your blowjobs wet, deep, and sloppy, that Simmons podcast is a good listen. 

Is Luka Doncic an MVP Contender?

Doncic has arrived. It doesn’t matter how you slice it. You like traditional box score numbers? Cool. Doncic is nearly averaging a triple-double, with 29.5 points, 10.7 rebounds, and 9.3 assists. Are advanced stats more your thing? Great. Doncic is posting a 61.2 true shooting percentage and 2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio. He’s played only 13 games, but his 12.1 box plus-minus ranks sixth this century. Who are the players to rank higher before this season? Three players during MVP seasons: Russell Westbrook in 2016-17, Steph Curry in his historic 2015-16 MVP season, and LeBron James twice—in 2008-09 and 2009-10. We’re witnessing a historically great start to the season, and the start of a historically great career.

Doncic, 20, has had many great games in his young career, but Monday’s performance in a win against the Spurs—42 points, 12 assists, 11 rebounds—may best capture his emerging greatness.

Doncic showed off literally every trick in his book, from his stepback 3s to his manipulative drives to the rim that result in touch layups or laser passes to his teammates. And he was clutch, hitting a game-clinching 3-point shot in the final 30 seconds. What’s so mind-blowing about Doncic is that as impressive as the stats are, they pale in comparison with watching the games. Doncic is even better than his numbers. His next challenge will be how he handles teams that game-plan to stop him in the way they do other superstars. If history is any indication, he’ll also pass that test. It’s not too soon to recognize that we’re witnessing the birth of Luka Legend.

Doncic’s reality check score: 10/10

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/11/20/20973426/luka-doncic-andrew-wiggins-mike-conley

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dallas has a #1 this year but owes the knicks next draft, right?

and this coming pick doesn’t look to be all that high, based on the first pay of the season. 
hopefully it’s a different market but free agency hasn’t exactly been good to the mavs over the years. 

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't think we've ever had close to the promising duo that we currently have. That changes a lot of things for how players view coming here. 

I think Luka alone changes the landscape a bit.  The most memorable free agency failures came when we were frantically trying to keep a closing window propped open...or to reopen it.  The city of Dallas is never going to have the pull of NYC or LA, but for solid players who don't care about the spotlight and who want to play with other solid players who still have more than a decade of prime, maybe the Mavs look better than they have in the past. 

Even if that isn't the case, Carlisle has shown that he can win it all with one superstar and a good supporting cast.  That cast is obviously still a work in progress, as is the superstar.  It's going to be fun watching this team evolve.  I really hope Luka has Dirk's "Mavs forever" trait.  It may be extinct in today's NBA. 

7 hours ago, Llogg said:

Nash-Nowitzki means nothing to you?

That's a fair point. A couple of points I would make to counter:

1) The league back then was much more skeptical of European players than they are today. Dirk was great then but he wasn't taking the league by storm like Luka is. 

2) Nash was already 27 when he finally turned the corner and became and All-Star here. KP is only 23 and Luka is 20. You're talking about a tandem that could be around for a decade+. 

the expectations for dirk and steve were nothing like what we're expecting from luka.  with luka we're talking about one of the best in the entire league RIGHT NOW, which is crazy to think.  we're getting MVP conversations about him.. RIGHT NOW.  with dirk he was a tall shooter playing out of position for his height.  remember when the arguments were whether or not he needed to play more inside?  the criticisms that he'd never make it because he didn't play D, never took it to the rim.  we had no idea he'd redefine the position of forward and be a meta-defining and HOF player.  with Luka, that already at this point seems inevitable.  dirk was more like kp than luka.

• Like 1

He gets where he wants to go because his brain is a supercomputer capable of analyzing the movement of every player on the floor every nanosecond, processing that data in real time to determine the action that has the highest probability of success, , knowing what he can and can’t do physically, and using his “good enough” athletic ability to execute his brain’s commands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

He gets where he wants to go because his brain is a supercomputer capable of analyzing the movement of every player on the floor every nanosecond, processing that data in real time to determine the action that has the highest probability of success, , knowing what he can and can’t do physically, and using his “good enough” athletic ability to execute his brain’s commands.

So to get this right, you are saying he is the basketball equivalent of “machinator”

Take that all day long.