2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

2 hours ago, fellside said:

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I knew they had a good reason but I'm shocked there's that big of difference.  

Just so weird...I watch him, and he really does not look nearly as good the offensive force he was last year when he was the best Roll Man in the league.  But if it's that good for Luka, and thus the team, when he's in, then I'll just take it.

Still think teams absolutely abuse him on offense though.

2 hours ago, CBT said:

Depends on how you shape the question. MVP of just this year, close second to Giannis. Trade Value, same. Best scorer, Harden, then the rest. Who would want for one game, he’s behind Lebron and Kawhi.

I’ll take my chances with Luka come playoff time in a one game scenario.  His Euro history suggests he’s probably up for the challenge, but I certainly understand that you haven’t done it until you’ve done it.

Woke up early and rewatched the 2nd half. Coupla things:

1) It's amazing how ho-hum Luka's brilliance has become at only 20. He went 33/18/5 in 28 minutes and would have had 9-10 assists if not for poor shooting in the first quarter by others, and yet, it never looked like he was playing over his head. He reminds me of Magic Johnson. Not hyperbole. 
2) Our bench unit is really good. The shots were falling for the mavs and not NO, so last night will be an outlier, but they play well as a group and move the ball extremely well when everyone plays within his role as they did last night. The 4th Q was just good team basketball.
3) Porzingis had a bad night on offense, and they are stacking up. Getting him right is worth the minutes, but when he can't make a shot its really ugly because he's still watching the game, despite flashes of brilliance.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Woke up early and rewatched the 2nd half. Coupla things:

1) It's amazing how ho-hum Luka's brilliance has become at only 20. He went 33/18/5 in 28 minutes and would have had 9-10 assists if not for poor shooting in the first quarter by others, and yet, it never looked like he was playing over his head. He reminds me of Magic Johnson. Not hyperbole. 
2) Our bench unit is really good. The shots were falling for the mavs and not NO, so last night will be an outlier, but they play well as a group and move the ball extremely well when everyone plays within his role as they did last night. The 4th Q was just good team basketball.
3) Porzingis had a bad night on offense, and they are stacking up. Getting him right is worth the minutes, but when he can't make a shot its really ugly because he's still watching the game, despite flashes of brilliance.

Thus far KP has pretty consistently looked like a stiff aside from protecting the rim and as a catch and shoot guy (which seems to be on every other game or so). But his biggest offensive contribution is probably just representing a threat from 27' from the rim which opens up space for Luka to cook. So even when he stinks, he's still bringing something to the table. That said, I hope we don't have a max contract on the books for 5 more years for a guy who just spaces the floor. I'm hopeful he continues to improve and we find ways to utilize his skill set. 

• Like 2

I was going to say I'm worried about a 2nd half season wear down by Luka, just like last year with as much as he's handling the ball...

But if he's only getting 30-32 min a night, and has quite a few nights with less than 30 min, it may not be an issue.

Still concerned what they can do if Luka is hurt or taking some Load Management days...rest of the team is good, but no one I think can really step up yet.