2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

Luka has to find a little bit of Jordan/Kobe. Stop telling people you’re just glad to be here in the NBA. Gotta get dirty at the end of games and at the end of the season. Bend knees and play defense, scream at those who don’t, make other teams hate you for reasons other than you’re white, make more enemies and fewer friends, killer instinct etc. 

I know he loves Lebron, I like him too, but I want him to have more of a Kobe approach than a LeBron approach. 

As a leader, he needs a chip. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

From what I read, they are dumping salary to get close to or under the cap. Their fans think Dallas fleeced them. I would say that is a solid win for the Mavs. 

Most Warrior fans are probably still in the playoff mindset after going to the finals so many times the last few years.

when your team sucks as bad as the warriors do,  it’s all about getting under the salary cap and accumulating assets that will help the team next year.

this trade didn’t hurt the warriors at all because they’re not trying to win games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Luka has to find a little bit of Jordan/Kobe. Stop telling people you’re just glad to be here in the NBA. Gotta get dirty at the end of games and at the end of the season. Bend knees and play defense, scream at those who don’t, make other teams hate you for reasons other than you’re white, make more enemies and fewer friends, killer instinct etc. 

I know he loves Lebron, I like him too, but I want him to have more of a Kobe approach than a LeBron approach. 

As a leader, he needs a chip. 

I don't believe this is something you can find or create artificially. That is instilled in you from the jump. I do not see a Kobe mentality in Luka.

Lebron was much more efficient than Kobe was on offense. He picked his spots to take over and when to involve his teammates. Kobe was on the opposite end of the spectrum of that. He had the luxury to play with one of the best and dominant big men ever and this masked how inefficient he could be.

Jesus fucking Christ he is 20 and the rest of the team is young and inexperienced AF. Y’all step back from the ledge. The Mavericks are still on pace to win 50 games In a year when they were supposed to win 40. This team is way ahead of schedule.

• Like 2

These close games are frustrating but understandable.  They all go into the muscle memory and next year they'll be better in these situations.  I can't explain the missed free throws. That's mind boggling.  

They have a puncher's chances in the playoffs against everyone but the Clippers imo.  

I want them to end up with Houston because I think they'll best them. 

Just now, CBT said:

RIP. Dallas retiring 24. I don’t agree with it but it’s really not worth getting worked up over. Hopefully it does some good for some people.

I think it's a pretty dumb idea. If the NBA mandates it, that's one thing. Hoping my Spurs don't follow Cubes on this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CBT said:

It may be dumb but it seems to be done in a genuine, heartfelt way. Can’t fault them for that.

And so were the 24-second violations everybody was taking at the start of games. Jumping out and retiring a hard-core opponent is just fucking weird. Kobe wasn't exactly Jackie Robinson off the court.

• Like 1

RIP. Dallas retiring 24. I don’t agree with it but it’s really not worth getting worked up over. Hopefully it does some good for some people.

That’s weird. At the moment the only retired numbers are Blackman (22), Derrick Harper (12), and Brad Davis (15). Eventually 41 will also be retired, but it’s odd that the Mavs will retire Kobe Bryant’s number before Dirk Nowitzki’s.

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

And so were the 24-second violations everybody was taking at the start of games. Jumping out and retiring a hard-core opponent is just fucking weird. Kobe wasn't exactly Jackie Robinson off the court.

Nothing but Cuban grandstanding and being an attention whore. Could not even let the death go through a 12 hour cycle without retiring a number for a guy who never even suited up for the franchise. He had to say "look at me world, I'm retiring his number" and then Cuban gets into the news cycle. Absolutely no reason for this and definitely not at that time. People are still coming to grips to what this all means of his tragic death. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s weird. At the moment the only retired numbers are Blackman (22), Derrick Harper (12), and Brad Davis (15). Eventually 41 will also be retired, but it’s odd that the Mavs will retire Kobe Bryant’s number before Dirk Nowitzki’s.

Exactly. Dirk fucking poured his heart and soul into this franchise. Kobe never played one minute for this team. I get the death is tragic. But to retire his number, especially before Dirk? Dumb.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Y'all pick some weird shit to get worked up over.  You don't think Dirk's jersey is "retired?"

I'm sure they were good friends.   Let him honor the guy however he wants.

Of course nobody will ever wear 41 for the Mavericks again. Still, you can't see how this is extremely unorthodox and slightly weird. Kobe didn't play for the Mavs. Why retire his number? Sometimes Cuban is just trying way too damn hard.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

On to tonight's game, I didn't realize the Thunder were doing that well this season. They have an equal amount of wins to the Mavs. Really need this one tonight. 

OKC has been good for the last 30 games - 22-8. Should be a good game, especially with Dallas so good on the road. 

Houston at Utah is the other marquee matchup tonight. 

OT, but as an original Mavericks fan at the beginning of the franchise - why is Mark Aguirre's jersey number not retired? Dallas had an amazing beginning - from expansion team to Western Conference championship series. Aguirre had a lot to do with it - along with Rolondo and Davis.  Is it because he was shipped off to Detroit or was there something in his life after Dallas?  Just curious. I loved that early team. 

He wore No. 24 for the Mavs, if I remember correctly.

Edited by washparkhorn

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:52 PM, TommyGufano said:

Luka's FT% rapidly descending to last year's number is an unwelcome development.

He shot like 71% last year.  He's shooting 77% right now.  Not exactly the same.  And by no means am I saying that's okay.  Dude should hit FT's(BTW Lebron never learned to be better than an 80% or so for his whole career.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 6:24 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Team has the opposite of killer instinct. That’s not something you fix without changing players. 

They literally were really good in clutch games last year with basically the same roster.  It's more flukey than anything.  They haven't figured out the closing 5.  Just like the staring 5, figuring out who's closing games is a huge thing.  They have so much depth that they're having trouble figuring out the best 5 to finish.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:01 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I don't believe this is something you can find or create artificially. That is instilled in you from the jump. I do not see a Kobe mentality in Luka.

Lebron was much more efficient than Kobe was on offense. He picked his spots to take over and when to involve his teammates. Kobe was on the opposite end of the spectrum of that. He had the luxury to play with one of the best and dominant big men ever and this masked how inefficient he could be.

Jesus Vic, this is nuts.  And WAY too soon.  I'm sure you said the same about Dirk for his first 10+ years, like the rest of the knee jerk, Euro's are soft, clowns. 

You DO see a bit of Dog in Luka, and it's proven every time some young dumb player thinks they're going to "punk" Luka or talk trash to him, and he gives it back just as much if not more.

Saying, halfway through season 2, at the ripe old age of 20, that you don't see "Kobe mentality" in Luka is stupid.  Might as well say it about Giannis too.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:56 AM, CBT said:

Jesus fucking Christ he is 20 and the rest of the team is young and inexperienced AF. Y’all step back from the ledge. The Mavericks are still on pace to win 50 games In a year when they were supposed to win 40. This team is way ahead of schedule.

Fucking this.  They're at least a year, and I think 2 years ahead of schedule.  If they get their starting and closing 5 figured out, they'll be even better. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:45 AM, Gucci_Suit said:

And I’m with you guys on the development aspect. This team is ahead of where we all thought they would be. And- they are built for the way the game is evolving. 

Just pointing out that Luka is going to have to find that edge. When he does, look the fuck out. 

It takes time.  He's already way ahead of schedule developmental wise.  But people already expect him to be a finished product.

4 hours ago, threesheets said:

Whatever, I just completely disagree with anyone saying he's grandstanding.  Call it an emotional knee-jerk if you want.

Or better yet just don't fucking worry about it.

This right here.  I do NOT think the League should retire Kobe's number.  That should be reserved for guys like Jackie Robinson and what they meant to their sport.

But I also do NOT think that Cuban is grandstanding.  Like said above it might be a knee jerk emotional reaction, but it's not a "look at me" moment.  Jesus some of you are so critical and jaded.

• Like 2

OT, but as an original Mavericks fan at the beginning of the franchise - why is Mark Aguirre's jersey number not retired? Dallas had an amazing beginning - from expansion team to Western Conference championship series. Aguirre had a lot to do with it - along with Rolondo and Davis.  Is it because he was shipped off to Detroit or was there something in his life after Dallas?  Just curious. I loved that early team. 
He wore No. 24 for the Mavs, if I remember correctly.

Aguirre isn’t beloved by old school Mavs fans (like me) because of his pouty bullshit.

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

Of course nobody will ever wear 41 for the Mavericks again. Still, you can't see how this is extremely unorthodox and slightly weird. Kobe didn't play for the Mavs. Why retire his number? Sometimes Cuban is just trying way too damn hard.

What he did is fucking stupid. If the league want to retire the number, then fine. But for Cuban to retire Kobe s number just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Aguirre isn’t beloved by old school Mavs fans (like me) because of his pouty bullshit.

I just didn’t like the trade for Dantley. I thought we were close to a championship with Aguirre. And he went on to win a couple with Detroit. Detroit thinks that was the trade that brought the rings. But every team is different. And Aguirre was a cocky prima donna. But those early teams were fun. 

congrats on the win tonight. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, threesheets said:

Y'all pick some weird shit to get worked up over.  You don't think Dirk's jersey is "retired?"

I'm sure they were good friends.   Let him honor the guy however he wants.

Dirk and Kobe were very good friends from everything I've read.  Cuban does a lot of things at Dirk's request.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out Dirk called Cubes and told him 'We should retire #24' and Cubes said "Done."    

• Like 1

Yeah getting worked up about us retiring number 24 is weird. If that’s how the Mavs want to honor Kobe then let ‘em.
It's a dumb, emotional, attention seeking reaction to a death. Not one other team did this. Because it wasn't necessary. And definitely not just hours after the incident. How about Mark Aguirre who actually wore 24 for this franchise?
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:
Yeah getting worked up about us retiring number 24 is weird. If that’s how the Mavs want to honor Kobe then let ‘em.

It's a dumb, emotional, attention seeking reaction to a death. Not one other team did this. Because it wasn't necessary. And definitely not just hours after the incident. How about Mark Aguirre who actually wore 24 for this franchise?

How about retiring the number of a disgruntled asshole that forced a trade out of Dallas?  Great fucking idea.

• Like 2

You’d think that good of an offense would be plenty to win with average defense, but even though the record is good my eyes tell me that they are usually only a little better than most opponents after 48 minutes. A 40 point quarter is just as likely to be followed by a 20 point quarter on offense as well as defense. 

and can Luka play 40 effective minutes for a string of games?  He plays 28-35 most games I’ve seen, and still looks pretty tired late if he’s still in. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

What’s a dumb, emotional, attention seeking reaction is being upset about honoring a dead basketball player in a way that has zero affect on you personally. Why care enough to be upset about it?

It’s a thoughtful gesture that I’m sure Dirk wanted as well.

• Like 1