2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

On 8/1/2020 at 1:05 PM, Skipper said:

Infuriating game, but seriously, it was fun to be pissed off at sports again.  Been a long time.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, Jive Turkey said:

i guess i miss the hurt and anger when my teams disappoint me.  but the last 4 months weren't that bad, were they?

These. Ending fucking sucked, but by god, that offense makes my basketball boner go crazy. 

That was a phantom foul call on Rubio. He was barely touched

The ability for the refs to change the foul to another player after being challenged on their initial shitty call is highly suspect. even more so when there was hardly any contact to speak of in the first place...
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Our bench has been dog shit in the last two games. 

I still LOVE people acting like this team was fine without Powell and Brunson.  They're not.  The depth they had early in the year and the lethal bench has been broken with a couple of big injuries.

I haven't been loving the starting lineup of DFS at 4 and KP at 5. I would prefer it to be Luka, THJ/Curry (based on matchips or hot hand), DFS, KP, Maxi.

The next part is from an article that echoes what @Drew mentioned earlier. 

The rub for the Mavericks is that while these other title contenders might have more talent one through five, the Mavericks boast broader talent 1 through 10 (with that top two still being pretty damn spicy). When Dallas is at full strength, there’s no questioning the depth they have in terms of rolling out players that can be productive for them.

Here’s where I insert a giant “BUT” in neon blinking letters: in the playoffs and in big, must-win games, having 10 guys isn’t really that big of an advantage. Rotations shrink and minutes increase for your core. You aren’t playing nine to 10 players a game during a playoff series. Also, how much does having 10 quality guys matter when you can only play five of them in the last five minutes of a close game? The Mavericks depth is great for keeping up regular season success — it keeps guys fresh and it helps paper over larger weaknesses just by sheer attrition. Eventually though, talent wins. We might get an unfortunate example of this when the Mavericks face the Clippers in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1