2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Most of our role players need to be upgraded.

This. There’s also the fact that this is a really, really young team. After barea (he’s gotta he 30+ by now, right?) I couldn’t even tell you the next oldest. Maybe 26, 27? Seems like all these dudes were just added in the past few years. I miss Shawn Marion right now... gotta have a dude you feel confident locking down the other teams best player. We don’t have anything close to that right now. 

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I don't think Denver wants anything to do with Dallas. Mavs can beat the Clips and Portland - if they get there- can beat LAL. Works for me. 

I think we win one game max against the Clippers. They are too deep and we don't have enough support for Luka/Porzingis in a series.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damn - maybe Denver has been reading hype about the Mavs. 

You don't match up well against that Clipper team and how it played tonight. You match up well with what they will bring to a playoff games night after night in a bubble. Dallas is a dangerous 7 seed for LAC (and Denver, Houston, Utah, OKC). No one really wants the 2 seed against Dallas. 

Dallas is the only team not to lose three games in a row during the regular season. And those were tough games against Denver. 

That last game before the corona shutdown was Denver v. Dallas. When the third quarter came to an end, Dallas led by one. The teams were told the league was shutting down at the start of the 4th. Dallas matches up well against Denver.

At that time, everyone in Denver thought Dallas would be the first round opponent. Denver watched how good Dallas is and put them on the "avoid if possible" list for the first round.  Dallas is the strongest 7th seed in quite awhile. And now with Portland entering the picture as a likely play-in participant, the 8th seed will be solid. Hell, SAS would screw with the Laker's minds and possibly out mastermind the lakers. Portland can outshoot LAL in games.

The middle 3-7 is the middle. Strong teams - especially Houston and OKC. Utah is a little light this year and probably the weakest team (and would be in the top-3 in the east if it played in that Conference). It's a strong western conference.  The 3-7 seeds are championship worthy and capable.

And as everyone is saying - the seed number in the West only matters in setting matchups. Teams may want to move up or down. Dallas is fine - you have a lot of eyes on you as a potential dance partner. The playoffs are the playoffs though. This is a seeding tournament and teams are using it as such. Dallas didn't have much room to maneuver, although they could just say - who do we match up best against and try to create that outcome. 

Dallas will win more than one game against the Clips. You guys are slow rolling how good Dallas is. They are contender. All 8 teams in the Western Conference will be contenders. There will be first round upsets, imo. And Dallas can win a series against LAC. Just make Paul George do all the heavy lifting all series long. Play D so George must make the decisions and the shots. He will win a couple but he will have to work to win another one. It should be a good series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think we win one game max against the Clippers. They are too deep and we don't have enough support for Luka/Porzingis in a series.

Anybody but the Clippers.  However I think one good thing about playing the Clips would be all of our personnel weaknesses would be exposed. 

Hopefully, the brain trust realizes where we are deficient and have a plan.

Winning one game or getting swept gives Luka and KP a taste for the level you have to get to.

I think of it like Jordan trying to get through the Pistons.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mavs have to be the only team that can be up 9 with 8 minutes to go, have a 16-0 run after that, and barely win. 

I think it went from up 9 with 8 left to down 7 with 2 left to tied (giving hill a look to win at the buzzer was real dumb shit) to up 9 with 3 left in OT to needing a ft with 4 seconds left to ice it. 

18 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Man yall are so lucky to have Luka. I legit think you can win it all.

KP and Luka can for sure. Need Curry or Hardaway to unfuck themselves and get going. Doe Doe is this teams version of Draymond, can't count on him to get you more than 10 on most nights. He was a badass tonight though 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

Fuck if I know what math goes into this, but it's got LAC at 97% likelihood for 2-seed and Mavs at 86% for 7-seed. So it's still def likely, but not set in stone just yet. I officially have a secondary rooting interest in every team up against OKC or Utah (esp Utah's next opponent)

9 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

Fuck if I know what math goes into this, but it's got LAC at 97% likelihood for 2-seed and Mavs at 86% for 7-seed. So it's still def likely, but not set in stone just yet. I officially have a secondary rooting interest in every team up against OKC or Utah (esp Utah's next opponent)

Sounds like we’re resting Luka, KP, and Doe Doe. We’re resigned to the fact we’re not moving up.