2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

On 9/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, Don Johnson said:

If the season ends in April, like it normally does, he would have been the youngest player ever selected All-NBA 1st team.  And only the 2nd player in the modern NBA to make it in his second year(Lebron was younger by a technicality and in his 3rd season.)

BTW,  THIS is part of why Luka deserved Most Improved. Kid went from not even being selected as an All Star to All-NBA First team in one season.  That's more impressive than going from 10 PPG or whatever to 18 PPG with more minutes.

Oh, and FUCK the Clippers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

A lot of talk lately about Giannis coming to Dallas to live amongst his Nigerian brethren. Bill Simmons was on the the latest Zach Lowe podcast and they mentioned that the entire league is fearful of Giannis coming to Dallas.

They should be, especially if they still have KP. It would be the perfect triumvirate from a beautiful basketball and skilled basketball standpoint.  Would be a dynasty. 

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

So basically it’ll never happen.

Nope.  I honestly hope he stays in Milwaukee and wins a title there.  Be there Dirk.  Maybe we'll get some Giannis/Luka going back and forth in the finals for a few years. 

As for this offseason, the only guy I keep seeing, and wouldn't mind is Victor Oledepio(sp?)

No he hasn't returned to his all star form, but he's capable, would be exactly what they need between Luka/KP and has only 1 year left on his deal. Meaning, if he's not going to get better they only have him for a year...and it won't hurt their Giannis pursuit...but if he's good, and Giannis stays home, then they got their potential 3rd start without having to give up much.

If they could get him the worst package would include TJH(they're probably similar in impact last year, but if Victor gets back to form he's the much better player) but I've also heard of packages where they'd keep THJ and still get Victor.

Luka, THJ, Victor O, DFS, KP with Brunson/Steph/Maxi/Powell(if healthy)off the bench isn't a bad 9 man rotation. And they'll still have some others too. Might be a surprise WCF team.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i do not want to lose steph.  

Me either.  Only for a super star as part of a big package if it's needed.  But not for like Victor O.  I think Seth off the bench going scorched earth is perfect. Didn't think both he and THJ starting in the bubble and playoffs was a good mix.

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

They should be, especially if they still have KP. It would be the perfect triumvirate from a beautiful basketball and skilled basketball standpoint.  Would be a dynasty. 

Nope.  I honestly hope he stays in Milwaukee and wins a title there.  Be there Dirk.  Maybe we'll get some Giannis/Luka going back and forth in the finals for a few years. 

I used to feel that way, but once I realized there's a real chance  of him coming to Dallas I said fuck that. We'll know more once he's offered his extension. If he doesn't take it and gives no indication that he will then there's a chance a trade may take place. If that scenario plays out KP's days in Dallas are numbered. 

On 10/22/2020 at 7:40 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

A lot of talk lately about Giannis coming to Dallas to live amongst his Nigerian brethren. Bill Simmons was on the the latest Zach Lowe podcast and they mentioned that the entire league is fearful of Giannis coming to Dallas.

Until Dallas actually signs a big time free agent, I will never believe it. This goes back to the offseason where we gutted the team to bring in Howard and DWill and we got neither. Dallas is just not a huge destination spot.

But forget Giannis. The biggest goal is to keep Luka. He is not Dirk. He loves the spotlight and is brash and bold. He is not someone to take for granted to stay here is whole career and take these hometown discounts like Dirk. This front office will have to prove to him they can build a winning team around him. He's already mentioned how much he loved it there in Florida. What is stopping him from heading to the Heat when his contract is up here?

I think we will keep him but for me, I am not taking him for granted like we did Dirk. We knew he was not going anywhere.

We never had the draw Vic.  Dirk is my favorite player ever and the players around the league liked him a lot...BUT they didn't want to play with him.

You got guys now that are salivating to play with Luka.  He makes others better.

Not that doesn't mean Giannis IS coming.  But it's a lot more likely than ever getting Bron or Dwill in his prime.

They will HAVE to get players here because they can't afford to lose Luka and like you said they knew Dirk was staying.

There was a recent Brad Townsend article in the DMN where he remarks to the fact that this is the first time agents are calling Dallas a year ahead of time letting the front office know that Dallas is the premier destination choice for their respective clients.  I've never heard stories like this before.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

There was a recent Brad Townsend article in the DMN where he remarks to the fact that this is the first time agents are calling Dallas a year ahead of time letting the front office know that Dallas is the premier destination choice for their respective clients.  I've never heard stories like this before.  

Pretty much this. Players will come here for Luka IMO.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:36 PM, CBT said:

Pog 

Jesus YES.  I know the team needed a rebrand after Cubes bought the team...it was dated.  But I miss those greens and the old logo.

Maybe they can retool it and rebrand again.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RexWilson said:

THJ exercised his player option. Not surprised.

Cauley Stein did too. Surprised by that one considering its only 2.8 million. I would think he could get  a little more than that on the market.

That pretty much fills out our roster outside of the draft and an unexpected trade, right?

5 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Burke will be interesting because wasn't he brought in to replace Brunson in the bubble? You have to think that's going to be too many guards. 

Burke gets buckets.  Always good to have guys who can do that.  I’m curious if his bubble performance will entice some other team to offer him something stupid.  I think Barrea ends up on the coaching staff, so there’s your roster spot.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Burke gets buckets.  Always good to have guys who can do that.  I’m curious if his bubble performance will entice some other team to offer him something stupid.  I think Barrea ends up on the coaching staff, so there’s your roster spot.

I thought I saw somewhere that JJ is finalizing a deal to come back next season. Don't think that spot will be open.