2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

Second night of a back to back. Legs just weren't there. LAL played decent D, but Dallas missed so many good looks. Wish it was a better showing for TV, but whatever, on to the next one.
Yeah we just didn't have the legs but LAL were on the 2nd leg of a back to back as well and they actually got in to LA later than we did the night before. We have trouble against teams playing physically and pressing especially if the refs allow them to keep playing that way. Reminds me of the early 2000s sacto teams.

The physicality definitely led to more Dallas turnovers than normal and some easy LA buckets but there were plenty of open jumpers missed and losing hardaway hurt. Jump shooting teams that aren’t making jump shots don’t usually win. Even missed 2 dunks. Idk what they were doing at the rim to allow so many dunks for Howard and Davis and McGee but they never figured it out. 

It feels weird to not want a career 15/15 C-PF in his prime, but I don’t get the fit. The Mavs offense is already the best in the league and the defense isn’t terrible with KP on the rim.

I think Drummond would make the Mavs worse defensively because then KP have to chase forwards around, and cost us points on offense (because math) while we -maybe- pick up a couple of rebounds, where we are already 4th best in the league.

What am I missing?

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It feels weird to not want a career 15/15 C-PF in his prime, but I don’t get the fit. The Mavs offense is already the best in the league and the defense isn’t terrible with KP on the rim.

I think Drummond would make the Mavs worse defensively because then KP have to chase forwards around, and cost us points on offense (because math) while we -maybe- pick up a couple of rebounds, where we are already 4th best in the league.

What am I missing?

Why would KP and Drummond have to be on the floor at the same time?

How to close out a game (when having the lead) by 2019-20 Dallas Mavs

1. Start jacking long range threes early in the shot clock when up by 10+

2. Put the ball in the hands of your 35 year old 3rd string PG instead of your stud (sorry JJ I love you but got dam)

3. Get shots for players who average 3 minutes a game. Gotta spread the wealth I guess?

Team isn't built to win if each of KP, Maxi and Powell aren't available. Front court depth is too thin to survive any of em being out.

Probably related, though I don't really intend for it to be: 2nd chance pts  allowed in 4th qtr and OT really piled up

Edited by TommyGufano

Gotta do better closing out games.

“In reality, though, Saturday night’s home overtime loss to Charlotte continued a season-long trend of head-scratching results, often characterized by poor late execution and an inability to close out winnable games.
More than half of the Mavericks’ 13 defeats can be characterized as bad losses. In short, Dallas is in the process of blowing a promising season. Consider the mounting evidence, if you can stomach it:
-- The Mavericks lead the NBA in offensive rating (115.3), but are 28th in offensive rating (92.3) in clutch situations – that is, within the last five minutes of games when the differential is five points or fewer. Only New Orleans (86.0) and Atlanta (79.6) have worse clutch ratings.
“Let me do some homework on it and I’ll try to get you a better answer,” Carlisle said Saturday night, when asked about the clutch rating following the Charlotte loss, a game from which Dallas rallied from a 20-point deficit, yet led by six with 1:39 left in regulation.
“Now’s not a great time to try to analyze that, but it’s pretty well proven that in any league playing from behind is a losing proposition.”
-- The Mavericks are 10-8 at home, including defeats to 15-23 Charlotte, 13-23 Sacramento, 10-25 New York and 15-21 Portland.
-- The Mavericks are 0-3 in overtime games.
-- In nearly half (six) of their losses, they have led with 42-or-fewer seconds remaining in regulation and/or overtime. Four of those defeats have come at home.
Those six losses are to Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Miami, the Lakers and Portland, and three of the defeats have occurred in the last two weeks. The Mavericks lost a seven-point lead in the final 2:42 at Oklahoma City, and they led by six with 1:39 left in regulation against the Hornets on Saturday.
“Terrible decisions,” Doncic said after the Charlotte loss. “I’ve got to do better. ... We could have won it, but I made terrible decisions.”
-- In fairness to Doncic, but of no solace to the Mavericks, the NBA referees’ final-two-minute report released Sunday acknowledged that Dwight Powell was incorrectly called for a shooting foul with the Mavericks leading by six and 1:39 left in regulation; and that Doncic drew a foul with 1:59 left in overtime and should have been awarded free throws with Dallas trailing by two.
That marks at least the fourth time this season in which errors acknowledged in two-minute reports factored into Mavericks defeats. That doesn’t count the controversial coaches challenge that Portland won with 9.4 seconds left in a two-point victory.
-- Six of the Mavericks’ 13 losses have come in games in which they led by double-digit margins, including Saturday night’s 12-point lead over Charlotte with 9:09 left, and the franchise-record-tying 30-point blown lead at Toronto.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

good offensive win.  our perimeter defense is rubbish.  we can't get stops when we need them which is why we've had so many bad losses imo.  we need two rangy guys who can hold that 3 point line.  opposing teams blow by us into the paint at will, it's bad. 

i like how followill and harper confirmed mavs man was jimmy king.  there were always rumors but this is the first i've heard of an actual confirmation.