2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

Luka is getting the Dirk treatment.  will be interesting to see if anything changes with the refs and luka getting the calls over time.  Cuban has backed off flaming the shitty refs so maybe they'll start giving luka the star treatment Dirk never got.

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

nothing will be done. He’s been tasked with fucking with luka, he’s done it all series, and they’ve just let him. And they’ve T’d up any mav that helps. 

We are the Mavs of course nothing will be done the Spurs did this same shit to us and whatever happened to them? 

41 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Man I don't think morris was doing it on purpose. If you look at the overhead angle he's not even looking down at the floor, he's staring at the inbounds pass.

Fuck Morris.  He has a history.  Zero chance I'm giving his sorry ass the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Man I don't think morris was doing it on purpose. If you look at the overhead angle he's not even looking down at the floor, he's staring at the inbounds pass.

To me it seems more likely that he did do it on purpose. But I think he's got plausible deniability and there's really no way you can prove that he did mean to do it. So no suspension. Plus, the league is going to do everything it possibly can to guarantee an LA vs. LA conference finals. Prepare for the Mavs to get no calls in the next two games (I think Mavs win game 6 but lose game 7)

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Now watch the sideline view.

(edit: just realized it was posted upthread, sorry.  from this angle there's no question it's intentional)

Edited by threesheets

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

watch the sideline view again.  right before he clips Luka, he double steps on his right foot so that he can land on Luka with his left foot.  that's not a natural move.  that's intentional.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

watch the sideline view again.  right before he clips Luka, he double steps on his right foot so that he can land on Luka with his left foot.  that's not a natural move.  that's intentional.

This shit right here.  

Fuck that guy and their entire fucking team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm on the Fuck Morris train but I don't think it's all that clear that it was intentionally dirty. Luka sees him coming and makes a little straight cut by moving to his left, planting, and shifting back to the right. Morris was expecting him to just move to the open space on the right and does that little hop step when Luka moves to the left. Then when Luka shifts back to the right he's trying to plant his left to push off and go with him. Morris was not going to do an actual full court press. He was trying to get a cheap steal by undercutting the inbounds angle. Luka's awareness surprised him. Knowing Morris's history as a real piece of shit you have to consider whether this was dirty, but it's not an easy call.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I'm on the Fuck Morris train but I don't think it's all that clear that it was intentionally dirty. Luka sees him coming and makes a little straight cut by moving to his left, planting, and shifting back to the right. Morris was expecting him to just move to the open space on the right and does that little hop step when Luka moves to the left. Then when Luka shifts back to the right he's trying to plant his left to push off and go with him. Morris was not going to do an actual full court press. He was trying to get a cheap steal by undercutting the inbounds angle. Luka's awareness surprised him. Knowing Morris's history as a real piece of shit you have to consider whether this was dirty, but it's not an easy call.

Based on Luka's post game comments I think he thought it was dirty.   So I'll go with his take.  Agreed though that it's not obvious enough to suspend him.  Not that the league would actually consider anything to hurt LAC.   They will get every fucking call in the next round as well assuming we don't pull off a miracle.

Speaking of fucked up league bias, it think we officially found our next Dan Crawford in Kane Fitzgerald.  I hope that piece of shit gets hit by a bus in the off season. 

50 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

Now watch the sideline view.

(edit: just realized it was posted upthread, sorry.  from this angle there's no question it's intentional)

yeah i watched it several times and still am inclined to give morris the benefit of the doubt.  it's a little skip step where you're preparing to cut one way or another off your strong foot.  like a short stop timing a bounce or a WR about to enter his cut.  only morris knows.  in any case i can't handle too much more frustration so maybe that's my implicit bias being built in.

i mean even if you're pressing, you don't sweep up under a guy because you know its going to be a foul and you especially don't bump efore the ball is inbounded. not to mention he straight lined to him, waited for the ankle and made an incredibly awkward, angled step to reach out to the ankle. It's either intentional or he has some of the weirdest side steps ever

Knowing Morris's history as a real piece of shit you have to consider whether this was dirty, but it's not an easy call.

It actually is an easy call. The move Luka made was not an unusual basketball move. It is made on almost every inbounds pass to create separation. And guess what? You never see the defender step on the back of the players ankle.

I don't think Morris should be suspended for the play as there have certainly been more egregious acts that have gone unpunished throughout the NBA. However, now that we know the rules of the series, I don't think anything should happen to MKG when he hacks PG across the forearm like Karl Malone did to Dirk trying to separate his shoulder, or when DFS lands under Kawhi's feet on every jump shot he takes like Zaza. Fuck Morris, but anything the Mavs do to him helps the Clippers.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Luka is getting the Dirk treatment.  will be interesting to see if anything changes with the refs and luka getting the calls over time.  Cuban has backed off flaming the shitty refs so maybe they'll start giving luka the star treatment Dirk never got.

Pretty much.  Until Luka even gets Harden Treatment he'll continue to get overlooked by the refs.

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Yeah the top view could be debated...not the sideline view.  He literally does a "stutter step" to make sure his foot lands where he wants it too.

All in all that was a bad game last night.  Upset about it, but it's easy to move past it...the Mavs have already done way more than most of us thought especially with the injuries and the ref issues.  

I really thought going in the only way the Mavs would win a game is if they had 1 or 2 of those historic type shooting nights, where not just Luka, but Seth/TJH/Kleber/DFS all hit like 50% from 3 and they were just scorching hot from the field(you know, like the Clippers were last night, and won't be replicated).  But they won a couple of games the old fashioned way.  By out working them. They've been better in at least 3 of the 5 games.  They just don't have as much depth and talent and this game showed that.

I suspect they win Game 6, and we see a crazy Game 7.

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’d be interested how many times there was a 1 man press by a team up 29 across all NBA games the last 10 years. 

Give me a fucking break that it was accidental. 

Pressing when up 30 isn’t something you can put past doc rivers, though the most likely “innocent” explanation is morris decided to do that on his own as part of his harassment campaign (ordered by doc) and ended up stepping on his heel. But the most likely overall explanation is he did it on purpose. 

Said he didn't know Luka had a left ankle injury.

spacer.png

"Not once have I ever tried to do anything dirty as far as taking a player out of a game."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/12/marcus-morris-on-altercation-with-ben-simmons-he-just-took-a-cheap-shot-but-s-its-alright-i-take-a-lot-of-cheap-shots-too/comment-page-1/I

n the Celtics’ win over the 76ers in London yesterday, Ben Simmons lowered his shoulder into Marcus Morris on a screen and dropped the Boston forward to the floor. Morris got up and pushed Simmons. They were quickly separated.

Morris:

He just took a cheap shot. But, s—, it’s alright. I take a lot of cheap shots, too. It was good to see that Philly’s got some OK guys, some tougher guys. I promise you that won’t happen again. But it was a good shot. It what it is. Hopefully, I don’t have to get fined for that. That’s what I’m really worried about.

Edited by Don Johnson

I’m all for going full Syracuse bulldogs tomorrow by listing half the team as out injured and signing Oakley, mahorn, patchulia, whoever, and taking a pound of flesh on our way out the door. Hell I’d sign bob probert, Tony twist, and Shane churla if they were down. 
no lay ups. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m all for going full Syracuse bulldogs tomorrow by listing half the team as out injured and signing Oakley, mahorn, patchulia, whoever, and taking a pound of flesh on our way out the door. Hell I’d sign bob probert, Tony twist, and Shane churla if they were down. 
no lay ups. 

I loved that style. Grew up playing that way. Sometimes guys need to be hit. I dont want to see the Mavs go after Kawhi in game 6 though. But next regular season game. If Luka is fair game, then so are KL and PG.