2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

missed free throw aside, powell looked good. Curry needs to work harder to get open for catch and shoot 3s. Luka is sublime. KP needs to be more consistent when he gets the ball on the block. He's great facing up on a big man on the perimeter, even AD, but down in the trenches he doesn't seem to have a go-to move.

These guys still need to figure out how to win close games.  We are still too loose with the ball in the final few minutes and we struggle to get clean looks more than I would like but that's list part of it.

These losses are great experience.  They'll pay off in 2020.  

That's by far the biggest situation Maxi has been in, and he made several small mistakes that cost the team. He will improve on those. The talent is there, you can see it. He just needs the reps. Several of the guys do. 

5 games in where 5-0 was certainly realistic. Both losses on some bull shit. We already know THJ needs to hang out at the end with Courtney Lee and Bob. What other thoughts are there about our best units?

Brunson and Wright are studs. Can we just alternate them at point and 2 with a little Curry sprinkled in?

Dwight and Maxi fill the 5. One for D and one for O.

DFS and Jackson are both serviceable at the 3.

Luka and KP need to continue to build chemistry and find ways to play off each other. Ultimately I think that means KP working more on his catch and shoot and post scoring.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Drew said:

Luka is Great. Another Triple Double.

KP started slow, finished strong. 6 blocks?!?

Where did Boban come from tonight? Lulz.

Boban is one of the most efficient players in the league.   He just can’t get too many minutes because he wears down.   

Need some technical help - anyone know how I can get the all of the regular sounds of the broadcast but with Derek Harper muted? Please?

Other thought that crossed my mind: all due respect to Raef LeFretnz and Shawn Bradley, but KP is the best shot blocker I can recall wearing a Mavs jersey

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Need some technical help - anyone know how I can get the all of the regular sounds of the broadcast but with Derek Harper muted? Please?

Other thought that crossed my mind: all due respect to Raef LeFretnz and Shawn Bradley, but KP is the best shot blocker I can recall wearing a Mavs jersey

How dare you disrespect Popeye Jones like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

kp's decision making skills are lacking.  i don't know if he's playing slow because he's had a year plus off or if this is how he's always been. 

It's pretty easy to tell when he's made his mind up that he's going to shoot. I think he's still trying to find his role in the offense - I sure as fuck couldn't quite tell you what it is right now.

Somehow broadcast team missed that the shot clock didn't reset and that's why the ref's "inadvertent whistle" (as they called it) occurred on that THJ 3 that didn't count, and then did count and ultimately didn't.

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Can some one tell me why Curry has only gotten 7 minutes and Brunson only 6? What a bizarre rotation from Carlisle tonight. 

Too many fucking bodies in backcourt. Esp if JJ is going to be a thing now. I kind of understood Brunson getting buried tonight because he looked *bad* in his brief cameo. Didn't get the Seth thing at all. With all the deflections Orlando's D was getting I didn't understand keeping a floor spacer like Curry on bench. 

Justin Jackson gets the game ball tonight, imo.

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Too many fucking bodies in backcourt. Esp if JJ is going to be a thing now. I kind of understood Brunson getting buried tonight because he looked *bad* in his brief cameo. Didn't get the Seth thing at all. With all the deflections Orlando's D was getting I didn't understand keeping a floor spacer like Curry on bench. 

Justin Jackson gets the game ball tonight, imo.

I agree on having Seth out there to spread the floor. Dude is one of the best 3-point shooters in the league and only took 1 tonight. That simply cannot happen. 

Going to be fun to watch Rick figure out bench rotations, different game plans, etc.  I bet he's loving the personnel options on this team.   And yeah, it's huge to win a game like that where you play like shit against a bad team considering how tight playoff race will likely be.   You will inevitably have 5-7 or so of those per year and they are typically L's so nice (and lucky) to get a W last night.

New Simmons podcast talks about Luka for a couple minutes. Starts about 16mins or so.

He goes in on Hawk fans saying they won the trade.  Basically Trae is nice, you traded away a 2x mVp.

Says in two years he and Giannis are going to be the best players in the league.

Simmons is so much better when he sticks to the NBA

Lowe

3. Luka Doncic, faking you out of your shoes

Hypothesis: Doncic has the nastiest, most convincing up-and-under move on Earth.

Oh, Hassan.

Most players go into an up-and-under having made up their mind to shoot. They have no Plan B. Doncic digests so much visual information in real time -- and is so smart anticipating where every player is about to be -- he can pivot (literally) into Plans B, C or 😧

Numbers alone tell you Doncic is off to a crazy start: 27 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists per game on 47% shooting, including a scorching 58% on 2s. He has almost excised long 2s in favor of shots at the rim and 3s.

The eye test tells you even more. Doncic is thinking two steps ahead of everyone. His trademark pass as a rookie was probably the LeBron-style crosscourt laser to corner shooters. Already this season, he has shown mastery of other tricky dishes that reveal themselves -- only for a flash, and only to the very best passers -- in the run of play.

He is putting exactly the right touch, speed, and height on lobs to Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber:

That is a really hard pass -- the straight-on, long-distance lob. The timing is just a little bit different than is typical. Genius lives in those differences. Doncic picks up his dribble abruptly, before Avery Bradley is ready for it, and releases the ball almost while leaning backward. A lot of his lobs are like this. They come a beat earlier or later than you would expect. Doncic might already be the league's best lob passer.

He has great chemistry with Powell and Kleber. His partnership with Kristaps Porzingis is a work in progress. Opponents have outscored the Mavericks by 4.5 points per 100 possessions with both stars on the floor. Meanwhile, the Mavs are plus-28 in the 67 minutes Doncic has played without Porzingis -- and a monster plus-25 in 44 minutes with both out.

Porzingis spends a lot time spotting up around the Doncic/Powell and Doncic/Kleber two-man games; Doncic and Porzingis have partnered for only about 19 pick-and-rolls per 100 possessions, compared to 40 for Powell and 31 for Kleber.

That spot-up role is valuable. Rick Carlisle has other sets to spring Porzingis. Doncic and Porzingis have complementary skill sets; they will discover their sweet spots, though to make this thing sing, Porzingis has to get better abusing smaller defenders when opponents switch the Doncic-Porzingis pick-and-roll. Fadeaways aren't cutting it. He's not Dirk.

He has great chemistry with Powell and Kleber. His partnership with Kristaps Porzingis is a work in progress. Opponents have outscored the Mavericks by 4.5 points per 100 possessions with both stars on the floor. Meanwhile, the Mavs are plus-28 in the 67 minutes Doncic has played without Porzingis -- and a monster plus-25 in 44 minutes with both out.

that's spectacular.