Ok Tom, We'll Talk about Kansas Game, Oct 19th 6pm cst LHN

LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

A new supply of KY has been ordered for Surly.   Should get here on Thursday.

Seriously the doom and gloom is going a little too far.   We will beat KU +21.  

It doesn't even make any sense. We haven't been run over much this year....at least not by running backs.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Boy, our fanbase is a mess.

I’ve actually been pretty shocked by how much a 7 point loss to OU broke our fan base. Winning the Sugar Bowl completely reset people’s expectations last year instead of just acknowledging we were way ahead of pace last year. 

We’ve lost by 7 points to two teams with loads more upperclassmen talent than we have. There are obviously some serious coaching issues, but the sky isn’t falling and there’s plenty of room for improvement in talent and coaching moving forward. We’re still on track to have a ton of success as a program for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 7

I’ve actually been pretty shocked by how much a 7 point loss to OU broke our fan base. Winning the Sugar Bowl completely reset people’s expectations last year instead of just acknowledging we were way ahead of pace last year. 

We’ve lost by 7 points to two teams with loads more upperclassmen talent than we have. There are obviously some serious coaching issues, but the sky isn’t falling and there’s plenty of room for improvement in talent and coaching moving forward. We’re still on track to have a ton of success as a program for the foreseeable future. 

Last year was a definite over achievement. Most people don’t wanna admit that. It’s the way Texas looked in the ou game that most people are uphauled by.

28 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

It’s because Texas got its ass whipped on both sides of the ball. 

9 sacks allowed on offense, Greg Davis specials all day and starting every drive deep in own territory due to repeated stupidity on KR. 

Defense missed around 25 tackles and let Hurts get easy run after easy run and had no sacks in spite of OU having issues at Tackle. 

Was a 7 point game but Texas was flat out the weaker team physically all game 

I get all that. It was a terrible game. We got outcoached and outplayed, but Herman did the exact same thing to OU a year ago. It’s not like this team has never shown up in big games under Herman. People have been saying shit like Herman will never win here. Hell, there’s a 10 page thread of idiocy saying he’s a second place coach when all his upperclassmen are comprised of an attrition-riddled class Charlie brought in and a transition class that had 6 commits (one of which didn’t even qualify) when Herman got here like two months before signing day. Lincoln Riley started his coaching tenure miles ahead of Herman from a talent, scheme fit, and health of the program perspective. Him being 1-3 against him fucking sucks, but it’s also not surprising considering the conditions of the programs when they each took over. 

This program and team will be significantly more talented next year, and people saying we’ll have to out-talent all our opponents as long as Herman is the coach are overreacting to 2 games this year while ignoring Herman’s entire coaching history, where he’s consistently outcoached and outplayed more talented teams.

There are major things to fix, no doubt. The biggest of which is the defense, whether it’s hiring a new DC or Orlando making huge strides over the rest of the season, but this program is still on a definite upward trajectory, and it’s way too early to be drawing conclusions either way on whether Herman can win a championship here. An improved defense alone next year could mean a playoff berth and potential title.

8 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Last year was a definite over achievement. Most people don’t wanna admit that. It’s the way Texas looked in the ou game that most people are uphauled by.

I totally get that. Like I said above, it was a god awful performance all around, but we still managed to only lose by 7 and our other loss was also by 7 to top 5 team in the country.  There’s been a lot of overreacting to a single game while ignoring Herman’s entire body of work.

• Like 8

I think it would be funny to see the team win the remaining games each by one point.  We end the year with two losses and a NY6 win and B12 championship.  There would probably be quite a bit bitching/moaning that we only beat Kansas by one point.  

Edited by stork642

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

agree with you for the most part but I will remain upset over how fundamentally unsound we are as a team in just about all phases of the game

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Look we lost to OU for the second time in a row. Of course people are pissed 

Yup.

And fans are allowed to be pissed at a loss to OU.   And looking like crap in that loss to OU.  

Acting like this fan reaction is somehow weird or surprising, is the thing that is weird and surprising.

And it hasn't even been a week since the loss and Texas hasn't played another game.  This will continue until the next win.

(Which better be this weekend because if it's not, things will get far, far worse.  As they should)

• Like 1

I totally get that. Like I said above, it was a god awful performance all around, but we still managed to only lose by 7 and our other loss was also by 7 to top 5 team in the country.  There’s been a lot of overreacting to a single game while ignoring Herman’s entire body of work.

Has he had awful ST everywhere he’s coached? I get wanting to make plays, but damn that mess was as bad as anything Strong trotted out. The LSU game didn’t bother me. I figured the secondary would get torched some. But the OU game wasn’t as close as the score said. Texas couldn’t do anything right it seemed.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is where I’m at. 

Yes, that game sucked. But players kept it close, and we had a legit chance at the end. 

We are going to roll Kansas by at least 4 touchdowns. I’m thinking along the lines of 49-17 or so. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Look we lost to OU for the second time in a row. Of course people are pissed 

I never said people shouldn’t be pissed about the loss. I was pissed. We played like shit and got thoroughly out coached.

I was surprised by how sky is falling everyone got about Herman and the future of the program. People have been saying he’s late era-Mack or Herman will never win the conference or how he’ll have to out-talent every team we face because he can’t out-coach anyone (even though he’s done that many, many times over his 5 year career as a HC).

I probably should have expected it, but the level of doom prognosticated for the entirety of Herman’s tenure was still surprising to me.

1 hour ago, pacman said:

agree with you for the most part but I will remain upset over how fundamentally unsound we are as a team in just about all phases of the game

Yeah. All of us should be. It was inexcusable and the coaches, especially, deserve to be on blast for that performance.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yup.

And fans are allowed to be pissed at a loss to OU.   And looking like crap in that loss to OU.  

Acting like this fan reaction is somehow weird or surprising, is the thing that is weird and surprising.

And it hasn't even been a week since the loss and Texas hasn't played another game.  This will continue until the next win.

(Which better be this weekend because if it's not, things will get far, far worse.  As they should)

It was the overreaction about the trajectory of the program, not the anger over our performance against OU that was surprising.

44 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Has he had awful ST everywhere he’s coached? I get wanting to make plays, but damn that mess was as bad as anything Strong trotted out. The LSU game didn’t bother me. I figured the secondary would get torched some. But the OU game wasn’t as close as the score said. Texas couldn’t do anything right it seemed.

Totally agree the score made the game seem closer than it was.
I’m not sure about his ST at UH. Our return and return coverage units weren’t great but weren’t bad either the last two years.

I don’t think he’s ever had nearly the struggles in a season that we’ve already experienced 6 games in. It’s been absolutely terrible. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We played like shit and got thoroughly out coached.

See, this is what worries me. How does a semi-experienced coach suddenly have so many brain farts. It's not about the score. It's about Tom looking like he had a stroke and forgot everything he knew about football. Not wanting to argue, just expressing where my hand wringing is coming from 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Greg Robinson ain’t walking through that door.

How about chizik?  He sucked at UNC but that was more on the former coach who is now one of our analysts.   He did pretty good when he was here.   Plus imagine aggy tears if they can no longer claim to be the only team in Texas with a MNC winning coach on staff.  

Had the offense not looked like a Greg Davis redux, then most of the doom and gloom would be mute. Still bitching about the defense, but probably more along the lines of the reaction after the LSU loss vs some of the starring into the abyss.

Let's revisit this thread after the first fly sweep handoff to Pooka.

Nope, I want to see it after our first GDGD special, the sideways pass, for naught, zero, zilch, nada, zip.....

I’m of the thought we go 10-2 this year, on track, but with some heartburn moments along the way.

Having said that, Ima gonna get my popcorn ready! Some men just wanna watch Surly, Surly.

It’s because Texas got its ass whipped on both sides of the ball. 
9 sacks allowed on offense, Greg Davis specials all day and starting every drive deep in own territory due to repeated stupidity on KR. 
Defense missed around 25 tackles and let Hurts get easy run after easy run and had no sacks in spite of OU having issues at Tackle. 
Was a 7 point game but Texas was flat out the weaker team physically all game 
other than all that it was a FANTASTIC GAME!!
1bbe9b70b42439c0420de38a131e1e3b.jpgabf5949a70f91099f65cc17aec048b0b.jpg70f11e22fe00dcdb8ae66cf3a3d010e8.jpgedf0cbfc3492c16675995660b90e495b.gif

How about chizik?  He sucked at UNC but that was more on the former coach who is now one of our analysts.   He did pretty good when he was here.   Plus imagine aggy tears if they can no longer claim to be the only team in Texas with a MNC winning coach on staff.  

I don’t know. I mean, he had a great defense his first season at Texas, but it was loaded with NFL talent. His second season was one of the worst secondaries until Strong showed up.

There is too much hand-wringing on this thread for what KU actually has. We’ll bring a couple of skill guys on offense that can play, but the line will have a really hard time blocking. You’ll get pressure and contain the run without particularly committing to it. On defense, the interior line has no real playmakers and no depth at all, so the run game will be there all day and Ellinger’s time to throw will be the opposite of the OU game if you even decide you want to work on that...you won’t have to.

This is a name your score spot depending on how aggressive UT wants to be once they get it in hand.

Chip kelly was good at oregon as well.

Gene isnt getting any top schools to pay up for him and there is a reason for that.

There is too much hand-wringing on this thread for what KU actually has. We’ll bring a couple of skill guys on offense that can play, but the line will have a really hard time blocking. You’ll get pressure and contain the run without particularly committing to it. On defense, the interior line has no real playmakers and no depth at all, so the run game will be there all day and Ellinger’s time to throw will be the opposite of the OU game if you even decide you want to work on that...you won’t have to.

This is a name your score spot depending on how aggressive UT wants to be once they get it in hand.

Ehlinger had time to throw a fair amount. What he didn’t have was anyone that was open enough for him to throw it to.

6 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

There is too much hand-wringing on this thread for what KU actually has. We’ll bring a couple of skill guys on offense that can play, but the line will have a really hard time blocking. You’ll get pressure and contain the run without particularly committing to it. On defense, the interior line has no real playmakers and no depth at all, so the run game will be there all day and Ellinger’s time to throw will be the opposite of the OU game if you even decide you want to work on that...you won’t have to.  This is a name your score spot depending on how aggressive UT wants to be once they get it in hand.

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not to piss in your cheerios, but bruh, you were one of the main ones touting "addition by subtraction" on defense all offseason. When others like myself claimed the defense might be more talented but have a dropoff the most common reply was "durr but Hager!" Anyone expecting the results you anticipated only have themselves to blame. We knew and kinda know what the defense is. Pay more attention to whatever the fuck is happening on the other side of the ball. That shit's scary rn. 

And saying we "only lost by 7 to ou" is pretty disingenuous. On par with "Texas barely beat us (uga)." There wasn't one time in that game where I thought this game would be won. 

It's ok to still have hope and faith in what Herman is doing here while also being critical of the stupid shit he does. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Ehlinger had time to throw a fair amount. What he didn’t have was anyone that was open enough for him to throw it to.

Our receivers had an extremely tough time getting open.  Some of that was their own fault, some was not.  If KU defenders are allowed to commit DPI as freely as OU defenders were, we're definitely in trouble.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not to piss in your cheerios, but bruh, you were one of the main ones touting "addition by subtraction" on defense all offseason. When others like myself claimed the defense might be more talented but have a dropoff the most common reply was "durr but Hager!" Anyone expecting the results you anticipated only have themselves to blame. We knew and kinda know what the defense is. Pay more attention to whatever the fuck is happening on the other side of the ball. That shit's scary rn. 

And saying we "only lost by 7 to ou" is pretty disingenuous. On par with "Texas barely beat us (uga)." There wasn't one time in that game where I thought this game would be won. 

It's ok to still have hope and faith in what Herman is doing here while also being critical of the stupid shit he does. 

That was in the context of rating systems like S&P+ overestimating our losses (which they did by having us ranked 31st in the preseason rankings and predicting us to have 7 wins). My record prediction for the season was 9-3.  I said losing guys like Wheeler and Hager would be addition by subtraction and they have been. I knew losing Omenihu would hurt, but I didn’t think losing Boyd and Davis would hurt as much as it has, mainly because I didn’t anticipate our CBs being this bad. 

I was pretty clear that I thought we’d have deficiencies on defense and that the youth would cause some serious growing pains on defense, especially in the first half of the year.  So far, that’s been the case, but I’m definitely less optimistic about the progression of the defense than I was in the offseason. There are some core issues that need to get fixed, either by Orlando or a new DC next year.

Again, you’re missing the main point though, I don’t have a problem with being critical of Herman/Orlando’s mistakes. I’ve posted about plenty of them. It’s the proclamations that Herman will never out coach anyone or that we’ll never win the conference that were surprising.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Our receivers had an extremely tough time getting open.  Some of that was their own fault, some was not.  If KU defenders are allowed to commit DPI as freely as OU defenders were, we're definitely in trouble.

Honest request here: can anyone provide any video and/or GIF examples of DPI that went uncalled? Since I wasn't at the game, I had limited view of what was going on away from the ball, so I never really saw any uncalled DPI. Was this actually happening? Or are we just saying it because we lost? 

This seems like a game with one of two outcomes. 

1. Kansas is hopeless

2. Like the OU game, we play it close until 5 minutes left in the first half. Then we turn the ball over on the 5 yard line instead of punching it in. UT drives for TD. UT gets the ball first in the second half and scores on the opening drive. 21 point swing. Kansas is hopeless. 

Edited by Jhawk

17 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I watched the game on my phone and couldn’t really see a lot either. But there were a couple of passes where they should have/could have called it. Eagles one handed attempt on the sideline was one.

Yup that was one.  Pretty much any time one of our receivers only had one hand to catch the ball, there was an obvious reason why.  And that reason is NOT that our receivers are all missing at least one hand. 

16 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This seems like a game with one of two outcomes.  1. Kansas is hopeless.  2. Like the OU game, KU plays it close until 5 minutes left in the first half. Then KU turns the ball over on the 5 yard line instead of punching it in. UT drives for TD. UT gets the ball first in the second half and scores on the opening drive. 21 point swing. Kansas is hopeless. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This defense is more talented than last season's.  Players are young and will make mistakes, add in injuries..  These are the growing pains teams have to go through.  Next season our best class (2018) will be entering year 3.  That said, coaches have to adjust and put players in better situations.  Players also need to be held accountable for not making impact when able.  This team is really good despite what happened saturday.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was in the context of rating systems like S&P+ overestimating our losses (which they did by having us ranked 31st in the preseason rankings and predicting us to have 7 wins). My record prediction for the season was 9-3.  I said losing guys like Wheeler and Hager would be addition by subtraction and they have been. I knew losing Omenihu would hurt, but I didn’t think losing Boyd and Davis would hurt as much as it has, mainly because I didn’t anticipate our CBs being this bad. 

I was pretty clear that I thought we’d have deficiencies on defense and that the youth would cause some serious growing pains on defense, especially in the first half of the year.  So far, that’s been the case, but I’m definitely less optimistic about the progression of the defense than I was in the offseason. There are some core issues that need to get fixed, either by Orlando or a new DC next year.

Again, you’re missing the main point though, I don’t have a problem with being critical of Herman/Orlando’s mistakes. I’ve posted about plenty of them. It’s the proclamations that Herman will never out coach anyone or that we’ll never win the conference that were surprising.

I still think you're underestimating the problems on offense while being a little overly so on the defense. If there were more than 4 coaches over there, I might be with you. 

Instead, we've got a kitchen full of cooks and the master chef is stubbornly working the fry station on a Friday night when part of the kitchen is on fire.