Ok Tom, We'll Talk about Kansas Game, Oct 19th 6pm cst LHN

LTtxfan

The truth is that KU is going to get better (and are) and Texas isn’t that bad. Defenses were bad last night but we have a new OC and newer schemes from 2 weeks ago. Our OC is a record setting guy. That’s good at any level. Chip Kelly came from a Small school and had great offense at Oregon. No reason Dearmon can’t be a success. 

UT will play better next week and is still a 10 win team. Ku fans have to be encouraged in week 1 of our new offense. 

Don't get me wrong, the overall tone of the game is "that was dogshit" and makes me wring my hands about the upcoming games, but unlike the KU loss a few years ago, there were a few bright spots.  Overshown looks pretty good.  I liked the blocked FG and extra point (who the hell could imagine that the game hung on that play).  Sam, other than the terrible int looked good.  Picked up 1st downs with the legs, evaded pressure pretty well.  Collin made some nice catches especially down the stretch.  Duvernay was nails as usual.  Dicker was good.  Last drive with 1:11 was nice.   

How the hell did we give up 24 4th quarter points to fucking Kansas?  I was watching bits of the replay.  They are at 30 points with only 7 points left.  Unbelievable incompetence on defense.  As someone said last night, how the hell do our DC's alway look good for one year and then are absolute trash?  I mean vying for worst in the country, bad.  Can we money whip the guy from ISU after this year?

One of the negative aspects of not blowing out opponents like Kansas is that the second team players don’t get any playing time and experience.  Our second string offense should have played over a quarter yesterday if not more. 

The second team defense is a little different because many of them are having to play out of necessity. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

One of the negative aspects of not blowing out opponents like Kansas is that the second team players don’t get any playing time and experience.  Our second string offense should have played over a quarter yesterday if not more. 

The second team defense is a little different because many of them are having to play out of necessity. 

Well. So many people are hurt a lot of second and third stringers are getting a lot of reps!  

that’s called being glass half full, right?  ;/

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Our first string need reps.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, hornian said:

This is where I’m at. 

Yes, that game sucked. But players kept it close, and we had a legit chance at the end. 

We are going to roll Kansas by at least 4 touchdowns. I’m thinking along the lines of 49-17 or so. 

I was pretty close on our points.

JUUUUUST a bit off on Kansas.

13 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Texas was short six starters on defense, six. At the end of the game they were playing a walk on and a true freshman’s first game. Any team with that many starters out isn’t going to be the ‘85 bears.

Kansas will be scoring more points the rest of the year with new OC

Yup. People freaking out on the coaching staff is pretty hilarious, the players were in positions to make plays - and they didn't make em.

Texas was short six starters on defense, six. At the end of the game they were playing a walk on and a true freshman’s first game. Any team with that many starters out isn’t going to be the ‘85 bears.

And players will keep getting hurt as long as the coaches continue to do a shitty job teaching proper tackling. So the injury excuse is bull.
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yup. People freaking out on the coaching staff is pretty hilarious, the players were in positions to make plays - and they didn't make em.

Yeah.  Asking Overshown to cover a nifty slot guy down on the goal line one on one seems like a good idea on the whiteboard.  He was in a great position to do something.  Also, blitzing our safety 15 yards from the LOS puts him in a great position to make a play. So does lining up our ends inside the tackles and asking a safety at depth to come down and play contain against an elite back with lead blockers.  So many great position they were in!!  If only we had better players!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yeah.  Asking Overshown to cover a nifty slot guy down on the goal line one on one seems like a good idea on the whiteboard.  He was in a great position to do something.  Also, blitzing our safety 15 yards from the LOS puts him in a great position to make a play. So does lining up our ends inside the tackles and asking a safety at depth to come down and play contain against an elite back with lead blockers.  So many great position they were in!!  If only we had better players!

Yeah should've used some other DBs, oh wait... 

Yeah should've changed to a 5 DL front against a spread team, sure...

The problem is depth, maybe get pissed at recruiting.

The shitty thing for Ku was this could have been a culture defining win under Miles. Only to have our kicker fuck it up twice. The second you guys got on the good side of the 50 there wasn’t a chance dicker was going to fuck it up. Special teams are so crucial it isn’t even funny. In the big 12 and in games like this they are more important than defense. 

And players will keep getting hurt as long as the coaches continue to do a shitty job teaching proper tackling. So the injury excuse is bull.

The injury excuse is not when it comes to how many points and yards it is giving up. There is a reason why first team players are on the first team, because they are better players.

If you want to make some argument that injuries are the coaches fault then knock yourself out, but saying that the injuries aren’t responsible for poorer play then I don’t know what to tell you. Just common sense really
  • Like 1

didnt TCU destroy Kansas though?
That was when Charlie’s first wr coach was calling plays.

In Todd Orlando’s time at Texas, fully healthy, he’s never trotted our a defense that would be mistaken for the 2011 Texas Defense.
  • Like 1

The shitty thing for Ku was this could have been a culture defining win under Miles. Only to have our kicker fuck it up twice. The second you guys got on the good side of the 50 there wasn’t a chance dicker was going to fuck it up. Special teams are so crucial it isn’t even funny. In the big 12 and in games like this they are more important than defense. 
y'all shoulda quick kicked more. but miles is stupid so y'all lost.

The following are all true:

1. That defensive performance against Kansas is completely unacceptable.

2. Our defense is decimated by injuries, leading to guys playing who are completely unprepared. 

3. Kansas’ OC called his first game against us yesterday, meaning our staff didn’t have film to watch of his playcalling tendencies. 

4. 2 and 3 are not excuses for 1.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Kansas’ OC called his first game against us yesterday, meaning our staff didn’t have film to watch of his playcalling tendencies. 

yeah definitely not an excuse for saturday... but when I heard saturday morning that they had a completely unknown dude that they had pulled from lesser leagues where he firebombed defenses as an offensive wizard and that they were coming off a bye week and had been installing a new offense for two weeks, well, I thought if I was a gambler I’d have called my bookie and put a sawbuck on the jayhawks.  but I don’t bet.