Ok Tom, We'll Talk about Kansas Game, Oct 19th 6pm cst LHN

LTtxfan

"What the Texas depth chart looks like for the Kansas game"

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-2019-season-depth-chart-Kansas-Jayhawks-Sam-Ehlinger-Tom-Herman-Roschon-Johnson-Les-Miles-136975193/

Texas Offense better score a lot of points Saturday -- the Horns depth chart on defense is not so good...

More uptempo with new KU OC Brent Dearmon

Les Miles fires Kansas OC Les Koenning, promotes Brent Dearmon as Jayhawks new playcaller

By Bryan Fischer.   Oct 6, 2019

It took just six games into a reboot of Les Miles’ career for the Mad Hatter to reboot his coaching staff.  Kansas announced on Sunday evening that offensive coordinator Les Koenning had been let go as the Jayhawks enter their off week, promoting former Bethel University head coach Brent Dearmon to take over playcalling and coordinator duties the rest of the season.  “I would like to thank Coach Koenning for his contributions to Kansas Football,” said Miles in a statement. “This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future. There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.”

“Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching. His experience as a record-setting coach and quarterback at the collegiate level will benefit our offense immediately. I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent’s leadership and coaching ability. I have the utmost trust in his ability to lead young men and this move puts our players in the best position to be successful moving forward.”

KU lost 45-20 to No. 6 Oklahoma on Saturday and have scored more than 24 points just once all season long, an out of character thumping of Boston College several weeks ago when they posted a 48-24 win.  Koenning had served as an offensive coordinator at UAB, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Alabama over the years prior to joining Mikes’ staff in 2019.

At NAIA Bethel, Dearmon led the team to a 10-0 mark in his only season as a head coach. He also called plays for an offense that averaged 55 points per game, a mark that Kansas says was the highest scoring offense across all divisions of college football.  Obviously things will be a little different with this current Jayhawks group, both in terms of a talent on hand perspective and the defenses involved, which will include a trip to Texas after the off week.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/06/les-miles-fires-kansas-oc-les-koenning-promotes-brent-dearmon-as-jayhawks-new-playcaller/

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

More uptempo with new KU OC Brent Dearmon

Les Miles fires Kansas OC Les Koenning, promotes Brent Dearmon as Jayhawks new playcaller

By Bryan Fischer.   Oct 6, 2019

It took just six games into a reboot of Les Miles’ career for the Mad Hatter to reboot his coaching staff.  Kansas announced on Sunday evening that offensive coordinator Les Koenning had been let go as the Jayhawks enter their off week, promoting former Bethel University head coach Brent Dearmon to take over playcalling and coordinator duties the rest of the season.  “I would like to thank Coach Koenning for his contributions to Kansas Football,” said Miles in a statement. “This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future. There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.”

“Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching. His experience as a record-setting coach and quarterback at the collegiate level will benefit our offense immediately. I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent’s leadership and coaching ability. I have the utmost trust in his ability to lead young men and this move puts our players in the best position to be successful moving forward.”

KU lost 45-20 to No. 6 Oklahoma on Saturday and have scored more than 24 points just once all season long, an out of character thumping of Boston College several weeks ago when they posted a 48-24 win.  Koenning had served as an offensive coordinator at UAB, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Alabama over the years prior to joining Mikes’ staff in 2019.

At NAIA Bethel, Dearmon led the team to a 10-0 mark in his only season as a head coach. He also called plays for an offense that averaged 55 points per game, a mark that Kansas says was the highest scoring offense across all divisions of college football.  Obviously things will be a little different with this current Jayhawks group, both in terms of a talent on hand perspective and the defenses involved, which will include a trip to Texas after the off week.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/06/les-miles-fires-kansas-oc-les-koenning-promotes-brent-dearmon-as-jayhawks-new-playcaller/

So now Les has one less Les on the staff? Les is more?

• Like 1

Probably see a few changes in KU offensive personnel against Texas.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/KU-football-taking-collective-approach-to-offensive-gameplan-136794106/

Under Les Koenning, the Jayhawks ranked 102nd in the nation in yards per game. KU ranked No. 101 nationally in scoring offense (22.8 points per game) and tied for No. 78 nationally in third-down conversion percentage. Dearmon has not yet coached his first game as offensive coordinator, but he does have a strong track record that involves a brief stint at NAIA-school Bethel as head coach where he led the top scoring offense at any level in the nation (55.0 points per game), plus a three-year tenure as offensive coordinator at Arkansas State where he helped produce an offense that regularly scored up into the 40s. 

Hired at KU as a senior offensive consultant, Dearmon earned widespread praise after a game earlier this year against Boston College when the KU offense scored on seven-straight possessions and posted 48 points while using several of the RPO concepts Dearmon has become famous for. At his press conference, he chalked that production up to the type of defense the Eagles were playing and noted there have been some of those concepts in the other games as well.

Along those lines, Dearmon said, he can't just change everything right away.   “We’re not going to go in and have a mass overhaul of what we do on offense. We’re coming off of a one-week bye week. We’re going to keep doing the things that we do," Dearmon said. "Of course, everybody knows that I run a few RPOs, OK, but we’ve already got a lot of some of those things in already. There’s other guys on our staff that are RPO guys as well, they’ve done RPOs in their past, so it’s not like we’re going to come in and reinvent the wheel and do something completely different. It’s just trying to have a vision and a voice and getting those guys believing in that vision moving forward."

As for the bye week, Dearmon acknowledged it could provide the opportunity for a new player or two who wasn't seeing as much previous use to emerge.  “I think on any bye week, that tends to happen — not just with a coaching change," Dearmon said. "On a bye week, it gives guys that normally don’t get as many reps throughout the season an opportunity to go out and get a second chance to prove themselves. So not just because of the coaching change, but just how it fell in the bye week you may see a couple new names out there because we’re able to scrimmage those guys a little bit more, able to put those guys in different situations.". He continued,  “It wouldn’t be crazy to see one or two guys," Dearmon said. "It isn’t like you’re going to see 12 new players on offense out there. But you may see one or two names that show a little bit more than [they] have."  

Look, our defense sucks and Orlando has under performed significantly, but the injuries on D are just beyond ridiculous at this point.  Kansas is going to score.    Offense really needs to pull their head out of their ass after 2 weeks of garbage overall.  Sam is obviously banged up so the OL and WR's really need to step their game up.  Both have been really piss poor in back to back games.  Kansas getting 20+ feels like easy money.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look, our defense sucks and Orlando has under performed significantly, but the injuries on D are just beyond ridiculous at this point.  Kansas is going to score.    Offense really needs to pull their head out of their ass after 2 weeks of garbage overall.  Sam is obviously banged up so the OL and WR's really need to step their game up.  Both have been really piss poor in back to back games.  Kansas getting 20+ feels like easy money.

We need to freaking run the ball more. I was shocked we pounded the ball so little against OU.

• Like 4

Texas has to run the ball better vs Kansas.  I just hope Orlando figures out his best lineup with his remaining healthy players and we can get to next bye week (after TCU) with no more injuries. Hope they keep Brandon at Nickel so he can better learn that position.  No Roach in 1st Half, so take the ball first if you have the option Herman!!  Surly experts, looking at players available what is the best starting lineup on Defense vs Kansas?

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas has to run the ball better vs Kansas.

I just hope Orlando figures out his best lineup with his remaining healthy players and we can get to next bye week (after TCU) with no more injuries. (Hope they keep Brandon at Nickel so he can better learn that position.  No Roach in 1st Half, so take the ball first if you have the option Herman!!)

Surly experts, looking at players available what is the best starting lineup on Defense vs Kansas?

If we win it, he will take the ball. Watched a few ku games this morning and based on how our offense struggled the past 2 games, ku likely believes they can play with us. I expect another close game at the half with us moving ahead to a 17 point win in the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas has to run the ball better vs Kansas.  I just hope Orlando figures out his best lineup with his remaining healthy players and we can get to next bye week (after TCU) with no more injuries. Hope they keep Brandon at Nickel so he can better learn that position.  No Roach in 1st Half, so take the ball first if you have the option Herman!!  Surly experts, looking at players available what is the best starting lineup on Defense vs Kansas?

Do I at least get to be told first if any of our players understand their assignments and the larger scheme around them? Will Brandon Jones abandon outside contain for no reason if he plays Nickel this week? Will Ossai actually cover his responsibility in the flat when the offense’s best player runs a flare out there? Which of our DEs will show even a rudimentary understanding of the term “setting the edge?”  Can BJ Foster actually hit anyone with his shoulder this banged up?

Assuming the answer to all of these is no, this would be my ideal spots for Kansas:

DL: Graham-Coburn-Roach (Ojomo 1st half with Sweat subbing in at DE and NT. Our other options, like Bimage and Jones suck against the run. We need to stop the run first this game. )

LB Mitchell (Rover), Dele (MAC. Don’t like how he’s played but not sure what else we have. If Gbenda is at all ready, then him to Rover, Mitchell to Mac), Ossai (Play him as a real B-backer/edge defender, not Rover, not Big Nickel). 

DB: Cook-Estell-Foster-Jones(Nickel)-Jamison. TO just needs to pick which of Foster/Jones is the Nickel for the rest of the year and not move them no matter the other injuries. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Maybe we should start bringing in analysts from fucking winning programs for a change. 

Please show me the list of winning coaches who are available for analyst jobs.

No but it would be a strong start to getting the Fire Tom train going.

Huh?

I thought our standard is a KU loss is automatic termination. Everyone bitched and moaned about Strong’s humiliating loss. It justified his termination—and deservedly so. Same standard for Mensa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Huh?

I thought our standard is a KU loss is automatic termination. Everyone bitched and moaned about Strong’s humiliating loss. It justified his termination—and deservedly so. Same standard for Mensa.

Strong losing to KU was the straw that broke the camel's back.  He didn't exactly win 10 games including a major bowl in year 2.  Etc.

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Assuming the answer to all of these is no:  DL: Graham-Coburn-Roach (Ojomo 1st half with Sweat subbing in at DE and NT.  LB: Mitchell (Rover), Dele (MAC. Don’t like how he’s played but not sure what else we have. If Gbenda is at all ready, then him to Rover, Mitchell to Mac), Ossai (Play him as a real B-backer/edge defender. DB: Cook-Estell-Foster-Jones(Nickel)-Jamison. TO just needs to pick which of Foster/Jones is the Nickel for the rest of the year and not move them no matter the other injuries. 

Appreciate answer -- Funny stuff..   Lol 😆  I'm hoping TO keeps Brandon Jones at nickel.

But what if the answer was yes??      /s

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Appreciate answer -- Funny stuff..   Lol 😆  I'm hoping TO keeps Brandon Jones at nickel.

But what if the answer was yes??      /s

Then I’d feel a lot better about our ability to run the table and win the conference. 

32 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. In the sea of absurd posts that is Surly, this one still manages to stand above the rest. 

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bob Stoops

Good point. Seeing as one guy’s making millions to do little to no real work and the other is coaching an XFL team, both of them are totally available to get paid next to nothing to crunch film in a dark room for 12 hours a day, especially for Herman and UT.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do I at least get to be told first if any of our players understand their assignments and the larger scheme around them? Will Brandon Jones abandon outside contain for no reason if he plays Nickel this week? Will Ossai actually cover his responsibility in the flat when the offense’s best player runs a flare out there? Which of our DEs will show even a rudimentary understanding of the term “setting the edge?”  Can BJ Foster actually hit anyone with his shoulder this banged up?

Assuming the answer to all of these is no, this would be my ideal spots for Kansas:

DL: Graham-Coburn-Roach (Ojomo 1st half with Sweat subbing in at DE and NT. Our other options, like Bimage and Jones suck against the run. We need to stop the run first this game. )

LB Mitchell (Rover), Dele (MAC. Don’t like how he’s played but not sure what else we have. If Gbenda is at all ready, then him to Rover, Mitchell to Mac), Ossai (Play him as a real B-backer/edge defender, not Rover, not Big Nickel). 

DB: Cook-Estell-Foster-Jones(Nickel)-Jamison. TO just needs to pick which of Foster/Jones is the Nickel for the rest of the year and not move them no matter the other injuries. 

Please show me the list of winning coaches who are available for analyst jobs.

They don’t all need to be fired retreads, there’s guys that work at lower levels or are up and coming coaches that would flip their shit for a chance to work at Texas

Hope Horns play championship football on Saturday like that great 1969 Longhorn team!!

Question:  Especially if Collin is out, why not run some plays with Devin at either x or z and put Jake in the slot??

Also give Washington more plays vs Kansas...

Here’s KU defense:

Rush Defense: #122 (220.8 ypg);

Pass Defense: #67 (223.7);

Total Defense: tie #104 (444.5);

Scoring Defense: #86 (29.7).

The only reason the pass D is so high, is they are so easy to run against. Texas’ Offense has a big day, Thompson gets to play! 

The bad news: Our pass defense & Total Defense is even lower than theirs (yes, I know we played three top-10 offenses).

Prediction: Texas, 44; KU, 23. 

3 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

Here’s KU defense:

Rush Defense: #122 (220.8 ypg);

Pass Defense: #67 (223.7);

Total Defense: tie #104 (444.5);

Scoring Defense: #86 (29.7).

The only reason the pass D is so high, is they are so easy to run against. Texas’ Offense has a big day, Thompson gets to play! 

The bad news: Our pass defense & Total Defense is even lower than theirs (yes, I know we played three top-10 offenses).

Prediction: Texas, 44; KU, 23. 

great so their defense is better than ours  I say we out score them