Who's been to Amon Carter?

Whatever

Look at the stadium on a map.  Find the east-west stretch of W Berry St., about 3/5 mile south of the Stadium.  Just south of Berry there is a neighborhood where you should be able to find free street parking.  Last time I was there (it's been a while -- 2013), we parked about two blocks south of Berry on Alton Road.  It's possible parking rules have changed since then.  I'm sorry I don't have any advice about fun game day kid stuff.

Wanted to add that if you decide to try parking in that south-of-Berry neighborhood, instead of exiting at University and approaching campus that way, it's probably easier to take I-30 to the Hulen exit (which is a little bit west of campus) and then track back east on Berry. 

Edited by Ben Ficus
additional info
  • Like 1

Frog Alley is a great place to take your seven year old before the game.  Due to construction it is not exactly in front of the east stands, but to the side on the South.  Parking is not great without a pass, but like Colonial they do let people sell spots on their front yards around the stadium. Mind you these are homes that sell for $500,000+ but they can use the money too. A number of the church lots near the stadium are sold out to season parking.  Parking is also available with a shuttle at Paschal on Forest Park and Berry and Doxology Church on Hulen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

The TCU game is next weekend at 2:30 and I'm taking my 7yo boy (driving in from McKinney). Where is the best place to park? Anything cool going on pregame for kids?

Any information is appreciated.

Google TCU Bleacher Creature. It would be fun for him if it isn’t too late to sign up. 

Also Doxology Church is an easy in/out off I-20 and Hulen. Take the shuttle to the stadium. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

As was mentioned, the neighborhood just south of Berry is decently close. Rogers Street, just behind the (used to be, might still be) Albertson's grocery store. If coming into Ft Mirth from the south you can come in on McCart and snake your way over or Hulen and then east on Berry.

• Like 1

Pascal HS is the best non-season ticket holder place to tailgate.  It is paid, but there are plenty of spaces and shuttles to the stadium.

Doesn't Doxology Church in McKinney have shuttles?  I come from the other direction, so wouldn't ever park there, but you'd be there already.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

Frog Alley is a great place to take your seven year old before the game.  Due to construction it is not exactly in front of the east stands, but to the side on the South.  Parking is not great without a pass, but like Colonial they do let people sell spots on their front yards around the stadium. Mind you these are homes that sell for $500,000+ but they can use the money too. A number of the church lots near the stadium are sold out to season parking.  Parking is also available with a shuttle at Paschal on Forest Park and Berry and Doxology Church on Hulen.  
Assuming Frog Alley is similar to Bevo Blvd because CDC, and the boy loves Bevo Blvd. Looks like we'll be making a visit.

14 minutes ago, Whatever said:
1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:
Google TCU Bleacher Creature. It would be fun for him if it isn’t too late to sign up. 
Also Doxology Church is an easy in/out off I-20 and Hulen. Take the shuttle to the stadium. 

I'm guessing they'll be ok with him wearing UT gear?

As long as you don't wear maroon, you're good.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Whatever said:
1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'm guessing they'll be ok with him wearing UT gear?

Not sure. Check their website or call the AD. Usually they have a box of TCU shirts at the top of the southeast stairs where they come down, so he may have to wear one over his UT shirt for the run. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

What in the hell is that?

They keep that in the southeast corner. It makes a train whistle sound. The visiting fans are in the north end and, thankfully, spared from that monstrosity.

By the way, I have some free passes to a Ft. Worth strip joint a friend of mine runs. http://cabareteast.com/

If any of you have some friends who are into that kind of thing, I might be able to get a few passes for after the TCU game. PM me.

Edited by Randolph Duke

They keep that in the southeast corner. It makes a train whistle sound. The visiting fans are in the north end and, thankfully, spared from that monstrosity.
By the way, I have some free passes to a Ft. Worth strip joint a friend of mine runs. http://cabareteast.com/
If any of you have some friends who are into that kind of thing, I might be able to get a few passes for after the TCU game. PM me.
If Amon Carter had a babysitting service until 5am I'd join.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This Guy Made Amon Carter his Bitch!!

Did he beat TCU when he played here?  Doesn't look like it. Sigh. We are like 1-5 in the last 6 years with the win coming last year.

Edited by Bullneck

Last game I went to there I parked in a neighborhood off Park Hill.  It was a bit of a hike but by the time you get to your car the traffic has passed.  

Of course, the last time I was there they had the old upper deck. 

dad2705db2df2955d539a92e3efe4736.jpg

Believe it or not, from around the 10 yard line seats you couldn't see the end zone because of the outer wall of the upper deck.  It deserved to be blown up.

Edited by Bullneck

The stadium itself sucks and the game atmosphere is terrible. They pipe in crowd noise and music before/during almost every play. You will be lucky if you hear either band one time. The PA announcer will make you wish you had ear plugs.

The parking situation actually isn’t too bad. Like those above have mentioned, go park in the neighborhoods unless rules have changed.

Edited by Hookem2147

31 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Last game I went to there I parked in a neighborhood off Park Hill.  It was a bit of a hike but by the time you get to your car the traffic has passed.  

Of course, the last time I was there they had the old upper deck. 

dad2705db2df2955d539a92e3efe4736.jpg

Believe it or not, from around the 10 yard line seats you couldn't see the end zone because of the outer wall of the upper deck.  It deserved to be blown up.

Where did you find that picture?  That's old school.

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

^^ Google images.  It just came up.  Now this is old school.

dbea04c26c0e2edce9df31be49a5e00c.jpg

Nice, my step father used to hold the microphone on the field interviews when he was a kid for the Humble Radio Broadcasting network.  His dad was the engineer.  Anyway, he said that TCU had the worst catered food and that Baylor had the best.  He is a Tech grad so take it for what it's worth.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

Coeds are off the charts, best in the Big 12 I would imagine.

I hope that helps.

A seven year old can hoof it. I just parked for free as was as close as reasonable that I could on the streets and started following people. Then we got drummed. I don't want to get drummed this year. These shuttles sound cool, but I also enjoyed the walk through campus neighborhoods.

OMG expect way too loud hip hop the whole game.

Edited by JohnnyRage

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Bring ear plugs because of this fucking thing.

spacer.png

I’m guessing it goes off when TCU does something good, so hopefully it remains silent most of the game.

It's a truly infernal foghorn kind of thing.  It makes your bowels watery and is apropos of nothing.

Coeds are off the charts, best in the Big 12 I would imagine.
I hope that helps.
A seven year old can hoof it. I just parked for free as was as close as reasonable that I could on the streets and started following people. Then we got drummed. I don't want to get drummed this year. These shuttles sound cool, but I also enjoyed the walk through campus neighborhoods.

OMG expect way too loud hip hop the whole game.
Yeah my kid can hoof it. No worries there. The farther out we park the better, since it's free and gives me more time to chug a couple of beers.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Club level TCU food and drink is the best. Tailgating scene is great and the venue is fantastic for a small stadium. 

Agreed. Took my son to the game a couple years ago. Post-renovation Amon Carter is great. Pre-renovation it was a glorified HS stadium.

I went about 15 years ago, but I'm sure it's been upgraded, so I can't give anything other than its small. Was shitty then, but I'm sure it's only slightly shitty now. 

They did a good job. It’s not huge but it’s got character. I mean it sucked before but I like it now.