Who's been to Amon Carter?

Whatever

If I were you, I'd come in on Berry off 35.  Plan to be there about noon or so.  Go to Mama's pizza.  It's a cool old place with lots of TCU sports memorabilia and old arcade games.  Good kids pizza and cold beer.

When heading tot he game, west down Berry towards the stadium, by this time there will be some traffic but not terrible.  Keep taking Berry and take a right at Berry and Bellaire, it'll be a 4 way stop.  Go down until you get to a T intersection.  Park at one of the houses right around there. From there you'll have a short 3 block walk down to the stadium and Frog Alley.  Your son will love the scene there.

Enjoy it, I actually like Amon Carter although it's been a house of horrors lately. 

Edited by Texaspython
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

If I were you, I'd come in on Berry off 35.  Plan to be there about noon or so.  Go to Mama's pizza.  It's a cool old place with lots of TCU sports memorabilia and old arcade games.  Good kids pizza and cold beer.

When heading tot he game, west down Berry towards the stadium, by this time there will be some traffic but not terrible.  Keep taking Berry and take a right at Berry and Bellaire, it'll be a 4 way stop.  Go down until you get to a T intersection.  Park at one of the houses right around there. From there you'll have a short 3 block walk down to the stadium and Frog Alley.  Your son will love the scene there.

Enjoy it, I actually like Amon Carter although it's been a house of horrors lately. 

I worked at Mama's pizza while in high school in the 80's.  That area has gone down hill a bit so some of the luster is gone but that will be the best way to avoid traffic.  I like the other dad's idea of hoofing it while chugging beer.  I might have to go full dad and take large ear phones and listen to Craig Way over the transistor radio.  The horn and overly loud music are a killer.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

I went one year.  Stadium is pretty cool in a "new money boutique hotel" kind of way.  Food and drink were good.  TCU girls are smoke.  For parking, we just slung some nearby college kids a $20 to park in their yard.  Everyone seemed friendly.  Their fans are into it enough without taking things too seriously.  Overall...pretty cool gameday experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I went one year.  Stadium is pretty cool in a "new money boutique hotel" kind of way.  Food and drink were good.  TCU girls are smoke.  For parking, we just slung some nearby college kids a $20 to park in their yard.  Everyone seemed friendly.  Their fans are into it enough without taking things too seriously.  Overall...pretty cool gameday experience.

I think that's a pretty good assessment.  If you're within an hour and half of the stadium it's worth the trip.  If you make a day of it, then stopping at Bonnell's on the way out of town would be a good idea.

They also sell beer in the stadium now which is a game changer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Crazy coincidence. I like good pizza AND cold beer.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is the Mama's on Camp Bowie different ownership?  Even still there?

It's still there.  Same pizza so probably same ownership.  There is also a location on S. Bryant Irvin.  If you want barbecue, check out Billy's Oak Acres on Camp Bowie West.  It's cheap and tasty.

I will also mention that Campisi's is down the road from Mama's.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

They keep that in the southeast corner. It makes a train whistle sound. The visiting fans are in the north end and, thankfully, spared from that monstrosity.
By the way, I have some free passes to a Ft. Worth strip joint a friend of mine runs. http://cabareteast.com/
If any of you have some friends who are into that kind of thing, I might be able to get a few passes for after the TCU game. PM me.
so that's the easy in/out you were talking about?

For those who have been recently, how is security? I'm aware of clear bag, but do they do anything above what you'd see at DKR?
no cans of raid or black flag allowed. it irritates the cockroaches.

was near amon crapper cockroach haven when I was a boy. didn't actually get close cause my mom would not let my dad drive on campus cause he wanted to spit on some fucking worthless ass cockroaches.

fuck the cockroaches.

8 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

For those who have been recently, how is security? I'm aware of clear bag, but do they do anything above what you'd see at DKR?

Anyone else a little freaked out about someone asking this on the internet?

Note to self...don't attend that game.

9 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Non-clear bags no larger than a half-sheet of paper (think 6x8). Clear bags 12x12 (use a 1 gallon ziplock). No umbrellas. No outside food drink, no mace or weapons. No fanny packs or backpacks. 

Just prepare to massively morally outraged. They will seat the UT band in the upper deck. 

14 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

It's still there.  Same pizza so probably same ownership.  There is also a location on S. Bryant Irvin.  If you want barbecue, check out Billy's Oak Acres on Camp Bowie West.  It's cheap and tasty.

I will also mention that Campisi's is down the road from Mama's.

Campisi's sucks

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, spystud13 said:

Our HS baseball program had to clean Carter back in the early ‘90s, only games that were even remotely crowded were us & Aggy. 

I played baseball at PHS and during the fall early morning workouts we'd run to Amon Carter and run the steps and then back.  Those damn steps were steep, not sure if that's changed.

The fee shuttle from Doxology on Hulen is great.  If you come from McKinney you would just take I-35 to I-20 and take I-20 west to Hulen.  The church is about 3/4 a mile north.  Parking is free, shuttle is free and takes you right to the stadium.  University Baptist and University Christian Churches both have parking for $40 or $50 within a couple blocks of the stadium.  Paschal High School at Forest Park and Berry has cheaper parking ($20?) with a free shuttle about 1 mile from the stadium. As someone else said, if you get there early, there are plenty of people who will let you park in their yard pretty close in for between $30-50.

Whatever you do, if you are coming from Dallas or the northern burbs, don't take I-30 to University and go south to TCU.  Traffic will suck ass.  Same goes for after the game.  Avoid that route.  Take I-35 to Berry and go west toward TCU.   

If you don't mind a little bit of a walk, my suggestion is park at Paschal, walk down to Dutch's and grab a burger, then walk across campus to the stadium and then take the kid to Frog Alley for some pregame bounce house and other kid oriented entertainment.  The walk through the campus from Dutch's is nice and the kid will love Frog Alley.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ColeTrickle said:

Don’t mean to hate but Mama’s is essentially Double Dave’s. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Mama's is better than Double Dave's and the overrated shit rolls.  I lived on Nueces for 2 years.  Gumby's was next to Hardin House and DD's was in the Castilian.  Double Dave's and Gumby's were the same pizza (bad), especially when washed down with a 6 pack of natural light tall boys/keg. 

Not a fan of Campisi's either but some are, that is why I mentioned it.  Mama's and Campisi's are prolly the best pizza you'll find in Ft. Worth without having to go to an overrated cockroach infested place like Sardine's.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

5 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

I’m thinking you ain’t been to that side of town in awhile. You would be shocked, to put it mildly. 

No, I haven't.  I grew up in Aledo.  I live in Granbury.  I work too much and don't get out enough.  The Montgomery/University area are  a lot like Austin.  All the old stuff is gone and shiny new stuff has arrived.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

I’m thinking you ain’t been to that side of town in awhile. You would be shocked, to put it mildly. 

This is what I always enjoy about the Surly advice threads. People ask for tips on a place, and the cavalry immediately charges in, led by people who haven't been to that city in 15 years giving advice that is more tired than a flip phone.  Hey, I was at this place back in 1997, I'll recommend it highly! It amuses me greatly.

Even better, I can't remember who it is, but there's someone from either TOS or here (or both) who would just google restaurants and bars in whatever city and then provide those as his advice for where to eat drink, having never been there and having no idea what he was talking about.  That was the guy who suggested some place in fucking Southlake or Roanoke as a good pregame spot for a Cowboys home game.

Non-clear bags no larger than a half-sheet of paper (think 6x8). Clear bags 12x12 (use a 1 gallon ziplock). No umbrellas. No outside food drink, no mace or weapons. No fanny packs or backpacks. 
Just prepare to massively morally outraged. They will seat the UT band in the upper deck. 
no mace?

so I can't go and eat here

95b3c911c9de68adde703d97ec1f7cee.jpg9d974c0ebedf6e85b4360a5542b1d7fc.jpg
50241cd4353c857d2b8ca1187f6e38fc.gif

the night before?

Mama's is better than Double Dave's and the overrated shit rolls.  I lived on Nueces for 2 years.  Gumby's was next to Hardin House and DD's was in the Castilian.  Double Dave's and Gumby's were the same pizza (bad), especially when washed down with a 6 pack of natural light tall boys/keg. 
Not a fan of Campisi's either but some are, that is why I mentioned it.  Mama's and Campisi's are prolly the best pizza you'll find in Ft. Worth without having to go to an overrated cockroach infested place like Sardine's.
everwhere near TCU is cockroach infested

14 hours ago, TornACL said:

This is what I always enjoy about the Surly advice threads. People ask for tips on a place, and the cavalry immediately charges in, led by people who haven't been to that city in 15 years giving advice that is more tired than a flip phone.  Hey, I was at this place back in 1997, I'll recommend it highly! It amuses me greatly.

Even better, I can't remember who it is, but there's someone from either TOS or here (or both) who would just google restaurants and bars in whatever city and then provide those as his advice for where to eat drink, having never been there and having no idea what he was talking about.  That was the guy who suggested some place in fucking Southlake or Roanoke as a good pregame spot for a Cowboys home game.

Don’t forget the guys who start the thread asking for the advice to begin with.  And we spend several pages trying to help the guy out by planning the perfect trip for him with some really great suggestions.  Then he reports back and took none of our advice.

Poster:  Hey gonna be in Dallas for a few nights.  Money is no object.  I love breweries, BBQ and steakhouses.  Want the best the city has to offer.

Surly (after several pages):  stay at the Ritz, eat at Al Biernat’s and Pecan Lodge, and check out peticolas brewery.

Poster:  Ended up staying at a Hampton in Arlington.  Ate at chili’s and Texas Road House.  Solid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Don’t forget the guys who start the thread asking for the advice to begin with.  And we spend several pages trying to help the guy out by planning the perfect trip for him with some really great suggestions.  Then he reports back and took none of our advice.

Poster:  Hey gonna be in Dallas for a few nights.  Money is no object.  I love breweries, BBQ and steakhouses.  Want the best the city has to offer.

Surly (after several pages):  stay at the Ritz, eat at Al Biernat’s and Pecan Lodge, and check out peticolas brewery.

Poster:  Ended up staying at a Hampton in Arlington.  Ate at chili’s and Texas Road House.  Solid.

Pecan Lodge!? Seriously?!

Grow a pear, step up your game, and visit Dickie's.

In all seriousness (or, at least as much seriousness as I can foster) the OP is entertaining a seven year old. The kid wants stimulation, something a little different than he has ever experienced, and a quick exit when he runs out of gas.

It's a 2:30 start. Personally, I would show up at 11am, park my car at an advantageous location close to the stadium, and call an Uber to take me and the kid out to somewhere to eat lunch close to the stadium. If he needs a hook-up to do the Bleacher Creature thing (where the kids run from endzone to endzone just before the game) he can PM me.

The key is that when the kid runs out of steam, get him to the car and make a quick exit. Which is why I would suggest he show up early, park close to the stadium, and Uber to have lunch/back to the stadium.

For a seven year old, I wouldn't over complicate things. He won't care what he has for lunch. What he will care about is making a quick exit early in the fourth quarter when he runs out of gas.

If the OP thinks the kid can last until about an hour after the game ends, park at Doxology. It not, show up early, park close, and leave early in th fourth before exit traffic starts.

Edited by Randolph Duke

These ppl, friends and family included, get knocked down a peg or two when they pull this move.