Brady lists (unreliable police officers)

Nice Guy Eddie

Eye-opening story on USA Today regarding prosecutors and police failing to disclose to the defense if a police officer witness has previously been found to be unreliable based on other testimony or previous personal crimes.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/10/14/brady-lists-police-officers-dishonest-corrupt-still-testify-investigation-database/2233386001/

I can understand that police and prosecutors don't want a list or make it public because it effectively makes any testimony from that officer to be less than worthless. But are we to believe that the police and prosecutors are accurately informing the defense?  Chicago is listed as telling DAs to keep an informal personal list when a memo goes out about a unreliable cop. My guess is that most jurisdictions are failing to meet the law requirements.

but what a sad main story about the Houston man who spent 11 years in prison for a DUI for which he most likely was innocent. The only evidence was the word of a cop who had previously been disciplined 35 times. Some for making up DWI evidence to get OT by testifying.

• 2 weeks later...

America needs to make up its mind on exactly how brutal it wants to be with criminals. Offenders are despised by society and are a perfect population to exploit. 

after my dad retired, he clerked for a old judge in our county for a long time and he always said ‘it’s not what you do in this life that matters, it’s who you do it to.’

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eye-opening story on USA Today regarding prosecutors and police failing to disclose to the defense if a police officer witness has previously been found to be unreliable based on other testimony or previous personal crimes.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/10/14/brady-lists-police-officers-dishonest-corrupt-still-testify-investigation-database/2233386001/

I can understand that police and prosecutors don't want a list or make it public because it effectively makes any testimony from that officer to be less than worthless. But are we to believe that the police and prosecutors are accurately informing the defense?  Chicago is listed as telling DAs to keep an informal personal list when a memo goes out about a unreliable cop. My guess is that most jurisdictions are failing to meet the law requirements.

but what a sad main story about the Houston man who spent 11 years in prison for a DUI for which he most likely was innocent. The only evidence was the word of a cop who had previously been disciplined 35 times. Some for making up DWI evidence to get OT by testifying.

Most everything prosecutors do that's unethical or unlawful is because they want to WIN.  Secondarily, they are quite convinced that by winning the conviction, they are making society safer and doing God's work.  These various civil rights just interfere with WINNING and doing God's work and are to be ignored for as long as legally possible.

It's a species of the same kind of "us vs. them" mentality that has led policing so far astray.

• Like 1