Thin Lizzy and Motorhead nominated to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Hornius Emeritus

Doobie Brothers are a first time nominee. That's about all you need to see to tell what a complete joke the HOF is. Although, I guess it's a slight improvement from being zero time nominees. I'm surprised Rundgren wasn't already in.

I really doubt Thin Lizzy ever gets the credit it is due. But at least it's good to see a good number of well deserving nominees on the finalists list. Maybe they started listening to actual rock music fans for a change.

• Like 1

The "___ isn't rock & roll" ship sailed a long time ago.  Every year people bitch, every year nothing changes.  Nothing will.  It's not worth getting upset over.

Besides, there will always be a question of where does one draw the line?  Is this like Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity . . . "I know it when I see it"?   That's pretty arbitrary.  I mean, it's pretty obvious to me that artists like Public Enemy and NWA embodied the spirit of rock & roll as much as, say, The Everly Brothers.  In fact, if you look back at the list of inductees, starting in 1986, early membership was dominated by black artists who weren't all "rock & roll".  (Some, like Chuck Berry, obviously were.  But Sam Cooke?  Ray Charles?  Hugely important artists, and rightfully deserving to be in the same Hall of Fame as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and GnR, etc.  The problem is far more in the name than in the membership.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "___ isn't rock & roll" ship sailed a long time ago.  Every year people bitch, every year nothing changes.  Nothing will.  It's not worth getting upset over.

Besides, there will always be a question of where does one draw the line?  Is this like Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity . . . "I know it when I see it"?   That's pretty arbitrary.  I mean, it's pretty obvious to me that artists like Public Enemy and NWA embodied the spirit of rock & roll as much as, say, The Everly Brothers.  In fact, if you look back at the list of inductees, starting in 1986, early membership was dominated by black artists who weren't all "rock & roll".  (Some, like Chuck Berry, obviously were.  But Sam Cooke?  Ray Charles?  Hugely important artists, and rightfully deserving to be in the same Hall of Fame as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and GnR, etc.  The problem is far more in the name than in the membership.)

Not upset.  Just stating a point.  And the process is already arbitrary as hell, so another level of arbitrariness won't make it any worse.   

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not upset.  Just stating a point.  And the process is already arbitrary as hell, so another level of arbitrariness won't make it any worse.   

It might not be the worst thing to consider a name change, but that's a marketing nightmare.  I wouldn't begin to know what might work.  It's a non-starter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, TexasBeta said:

Still no Iron Maiden. Pass till they are inducted.

I don't know much about the process of being voted into the HOF works but how in the world is Motorhead nominated but not Iron Maiden? Iron Maiden made better music although I enjoy both bands.

• 1 year later...